WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

AAA or Good Sam or? for RV roadside

69hondo

Reaction score
What do you guys have for RV roadside assistance? I have always had AAA. Had an incident leaving Glamis this last trip and am thinking of looking else where. AAA only has 100 mile and after that it go relay expensive. LOL
IMG_20191201_105407_265.jpg

Meaney77

Reaction score
I have AAA and we had an issue a few years back with our MH. It was an absolute PIA trying to find someone to tow both MH and trailer. My wife and I did alot of the leg work on side of the rode with spoty cell service. We ended up finding someone to tow everything and we were fully reimbursed by AAA. We vowed to get Good Sam to avoid this in the future but have yet to get their service.

I have heard good things with Good Sam.

69hondo

Reaction score
I have AAA and we had an issue a few years back with our MH. It was an absolute PIA trying to find someone to tow both MH and trailer. My wife and I did alot of the leg work on side of the rode with spoty cell service. We ended up finding someone to tow everything and we were fully reimbursed by AAA. We vowed to get Good Sam to avoid this in the future but have yet to get their service.

I have heard good things with Good Sam.

So that exactly what happened to me. We should of called another tow service like you did. I broke down at 6pm saturday and dint get put on the hook until 10am Sunday morning. THey wanted to do two serviced calls. One for the trailer and one for the motrohome. My buddy drove all the way home dropped his trailer and came all the way back and got mine. I owe him big. I was on good sams website and their rv tow say "unlimited to nearest service center" I need to call and see exactly what that means.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
It’s supposed to be one 200 mile tow on AAA premier. Then a set charge for each 25 miles after that. I thought $75 I dunno.

Been talking to more and more people that are having issues with Premier.
Maybe it depends what area you are a member in or only a $100 reimbursement for a non AAA tow?
Damfino.

wallnutz

Reaction score
We have the roadside on our insurance policy. It sucks you pay up front, but the three times I have used it I was reimbursed in full in a week.

Reactions: TPC

Singleton

Reaction score
I have both. Good Sam has been much easier then AAA when truck broke and needed to get truck and ToyHauler moved. Zero out of pocket Rice Rd to Palm Springs.

Meaney77

Reaction score
So that exactly what happened to me. We should of called another tow service like you did. I broke down at 6pm saturday and dint get put on the hook until 10am Sunday morning. THey wanted to do two serviced calls. One for the trailer and one for the motrohome. My buddy drove all the way home dropped his trailer and came all the way back and got mine. I owe him big. I was on good sams website and their rv tow say "unlimited to nearest service center" I need to call and see exactly what that means.

That is a good friend!! Our tow truck driver said he would tow us all of the way to the motor home repair facility for $1000- Its a game, they know how to play it. So we paid him out of our own pocket and filed a claim through AAA. They sent us a reimbursement check a week later.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
I have aaa premiere, and pretty sure it's supposed to cover 200 miles.

The service isn't the greatest, but I don't think any other provider is any better when we are out in the middle of the desert. Years ago I had a blowout on the 86 on the way to glamis, called aaa and they dispatched someone... waited around 30-45 min, no show... decided to use the leveling jacks to lift the motorhome, used my tools and got the tire changed out... when I was tightening the lug nuts, the driver called and said he was in route from palm springs... I told him never mind lol

the roadside service providers are all great when you are in a city, or nearby city... but when you are out in the middle of nowhere.... they'll come, it's just gonna take foreverrrrrrrrrr

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I want to know this same question. I have AAA but am concerned about the 100 mile max limit for the RV. Also, if I remember right, Premier ups it to 200 miles but not for the RV....just regular vehicles

69hondo

Reaction score
I have aaa premiere, and pretty sure it's supposed to cover 200 miles.

The service isn't the greatest, but I don't think any other provider is any better when we are out in the middle of the desert. Years ago I had a blowout on the 86 on the way to glamis, called aaa and they dispatched someone... waited around 30-45 min, no show... decided to use the leveling jacks to lift the motorhome, used my tools and got the tire changed out... when I was tightening the lug nuts, the driver called and said he was in route from palm springs... I told him never mind lol

the roadside service providers are all great when you are in a city, or nearby city... but when you are out in the middle of nowhere.... they'll come, it's just gonna take foreverrrrrrrrrr

That is what I have its 200 for auto and 100 miles for rv or motorcylcle.

https://www.calif.aaa.com/membership/why-join-aaa.html#compare

69hondo

Reaction score
It’s supposed to be one 200 mile tow on AAA premier. Then a set charge for each 25 miles after that. I thought $75 I dunno.

Been talking to more and more people that are having issues with Premier.
Maybe it depends what area you are a member in or only a $100 reimbursement for a non AAA tow?
Damfino.

200 for auto and only 100 miles for RV and or motorcycle.

Mototrig

Reaction score
We have premier AAA.
Truck broke down in the Badlands towing the toy hauler to Glamis at 11pm. AAA sent out a large flatbed, he loaded my truck on the flatbed and towed the toy hauler behind. Seamless transaction.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
We have premier AAA.
Truck broke down in the Badlands towing the toy hauler to Glamis at 11pm. AAA sent out a large flatbed, he loaded my truck on the flatbed and towed the toy hauler behind. Seamless transaction.
How far?

Universal Elements

Reaction score
We have both AAA Premier Plus with RV/motorcycle and the Good Sams Platinum Complete. Good Sams has a deal for their Platinum Complete plan for $119. When we travel its our MOHO towing the Car, Truck towing the boat and motorcycle in the bed. Can’t skimp on towing, could be a very expensive adventure.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
200 for auto and only 100 miles for RV and or motorcycle.
Father's Day I scattered my Dodge. I40 between Kingman and Seligman. Took about 5 hours to get a flatbed to me. They counted my 1ton as a heavy too, so ymmv on how that goes. They would also not tow my trailer. I had to leave a 20ft enclosed in the boondocks, and haul ass back to get it. It may depend on the driver or the company. I even offered to pay cash to have him grab it with the stinger...nope.

69hondo

Reaction score
60mi. At the time I was covered for 100 mi. I'm covered for more now.

How did you get more mileage on RV? I have Premiere which is their top and it only covers 100 miles for the RV. Not saying you dont have more for RV I just would like more if it is possible.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Father's Day I scattered my Dodge. I40 between Kingman and Seligman. Took about 5 hours to get a flatbed to me. They counted my 1ton as a heavy too, so ymmv on how that goes. They would also not tow my trailer. I had to leave a 20ft enclosed in the boondocks, and haul ass back to get it. It may depend on the driver or the company. I even offered to pay cash to have him grab it with the stinger...nope.

That’s why we got Good Sams. AAA outside of California and in the boonies is interpreted differently by tow companies. Good Sams has way better contracts with the tow providers.

3.Slow

Reaction score
We have both, nothing good to say about AAA unfortunately. We have used Good Sam once and it was painless, towed my dually with the 5th wheel attached from state line in to the Oasis Campground in Vegas. I would strongly recommend the Good Sam.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Tesla is comming out with an all electric motorhome that can run over roadside bombs, and its shaped like an Egyptian pyramid.

getoffmylawn

Reaction score
Unfortunately AAA isn’t what it once was. A lot of tow companies quit towing for them. I have a friend that owns a towing biz, and they quit towing for them as well. He said they just don’t pay enough. It’s a double-edged sword. AAA trying to keep costs down, but in doing so, shorts towing company availabilities.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
That’s why we got Good Sams. AAA outside of California and in the boonies is interpreted differently by tow companies. Good Sams has way better contracts with the tow providers.

I was gonna say...

Aren't they both gonna call the same damm tow company?? It's not like either of em own their own two trucks.

I have the RV option with AAA. Thankfully I've never had to use it.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
I was gonna say...

Aren't they both gonna call the same damm tow company?? It's not like either of em own their own two trucks.

I have the RV option with AAA. Thankfully I've never had to use it.

when you are a provider for Good Sams, there is no Gray areas. Their main biz is rv’s and you have to have the correct trailers/equipment to take care of their customers. Hope I don’t have to you either one while we’re on a trip, but it cheap insurance

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Unfortunately AAA isn’t what it once was. A lot of tow companies quit towing for them. I have a friend that owns a towing biz, and they quit towing for them as well. He said they just don’t pay enough. It’s a double-edged sword. AAA trying to keep costs down, but in doing so, shorts towing company availabilities.

yeah I’ve talked to my neighbor who owns a towing company and he says the same thing. In my case, it sux because all my motorcycles are insured through them. So, I have to have the membership. It was the cheapest I could find. Because you don’t get multi policy discounts, I have my trucks insured with another company. The wait at DMV @ AAA is a lot longer too.

Your ad here

Reaction score
AAA makes up the rules, change their minds, and have no interest in helping the customer. When you are waiting for the tow truck, AAA will call you every 30 minutes trying to sell you on a repair place but don't ask how you are doing. They left me on I10 in Culver City for 3 hours. Ran out of water and was in the sun but they called every 30 minutes to try and sell me on a repair shop. Did the same thing to my mom a month ago. Tow truck took an hour to arrive and they were pressuring hard to take it to a repair place. Alternator went bad.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
yeah I’ve talked to my neighbor who owns a towing company and he says the same thing. In my case, it sux because all my motorcycles are insured through them. So, I have to have the membership. It was the cheapest I could find. Because you don’t get multi policy discounts, I have my trucks insured with another company. The wait at DMV @ AAA is a lot longer too.

There is a State Farm member on here that has All my business, including my Harley. Might want to give him a shout.

@WildHorses24

Universal Elements

Reaction score
There is a State Farm member on here that has All my business, including my Harley. Might want to give him a shout.

@WildHorses24

Thanks, I’ll try him. My Hayabusa’s, Zx-12r & CBR1100xx are quite a combination regarding insurance. The Harley I got rid of was pretty reasonable. Both Hayabusas are fully covered.

77charger

Reaction score
Another i have is boat us i got the trailer assist as well cost another 15 bucks and suppose to cover up to 100 miles i think provided i have the boat in tow.
Just got AAA recently too but atleast if the driver wont tow the boat i have an option with boat us as far as getting the boat home.

Icky

Reaction score
Should've just had them tow you to gecko and set up a ghost camp for the next holiday ;)