WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Travel Trailers?

satellitemike

Reaction score
Ok, we sold the river house to get ready for retirement and we are now searching for a decent trailer to take to check out possible retirement areas over the next few years.
Gonna make a post about the best retirement areas in the Southwest soon!
Question I have are what should I be on the lookout for and what should I stay away from?
I am on my third F150 w 3.5 EB that all have been practically issue free. Current one is has max tow package that is rated for 13.2k but I would never get close to that as I am thinking I wouldnt want to get much past 9k fully loaded. I know it will pull it but controlling it in cross winds and stopping would most likely be a pucker fest!
This is the one we have our eye on currently and it is out of AZ and private party = no tax!
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/rvs/d/fountain-hills-2018-rockwood-2906ws/7026933006.html
Thoughts, can I get a new one close to that, should I be looking for extended warranty, will I need air bags or will the load leveling hitch be enough, etc...…?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Ya want good suspension and Coleman AC is all I can add.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
I’m sure there will be some folks with stuff to say on here.

My FIL just bought a 34’ overall bumper pull with two slides to tow behind his 1/2 ton dodge crew with hemi.
Claims it pulls it just fine.
However, first trip out MIL winds up in hospital in Vegas for seizures apparently stress related due to the trailer whipping the shit out of the truck.
So then he bought this hensley hitch piece of shit for over 3GS with freight and delivery.
Now he claims it pulls it just fine.

No word from his anus which I’m sure suffers from clench chafing even if he comes up with pulls fine. At some point it will need to stop too!

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I’m sure there will be some folks with stuff to say on here.

My FIL just bought a 34’ overall bumper pull with two slides to tow behind his 1/2 ton dodge crew with hemi.
Claims it pulls it just fine.
However, first trip out MIL winds up in hospital in Vegas for seizures apparently stress related due to the trailer whipping the shit out of the truck.
So then he bought this hensley hitch piece of shit for over 3GS with freight and delivery.
Now he claims it pulls it just fine.

Tell him to wait till the cam goes flat or it looses a valve seat...

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
SM
I'm under the belief. The tax will be paid when your registered the trailer.

Extended warranty. I've never been a fan, except when I owned a Ford 6.0. The warranty paid itself 2x.

As you are probably aware... the tow weight = fully weighted. Water, waste, food, clothing etc.

make sure you have electronic brakes.

use the electric brakes if swaying.

Also, old rule of thumb...whatever gear you climbed that hill, use the same gear coming down...

Congrats on the upcoming retirement!!

BajaMike

Reaction score
Get a 3/4 ton truck. I wouldn’t pull that big of a trailer with any 1/2 ton.

Do you really want a trailer that big? Are you having a lot of family and friends in the trailer with you?

That’s a lot of weight and size to tow around and get into some parks.

I’m planning on doing the same thing you are and I’m looking at 22’ to 24’ trailers, I won’t have anyone but my girlfriend and I don’t want to have any extra beds for family to tag along. I’ve got a 2500 HD Crew.

I think a lot of people try to get the biggest they can tow instead of what they need. Most of my entertaining will be outside the trailer so an outdoor TV would be nice.

Good luck, love to see what you buy!

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
I have a Jayco 212qbw. It's is a downsize from my Attitude toyhaulerat around 10k. The 212 is 6k gross. The Tundra pulls this real easy at 4k less than the attitude. Just the wife and I.

TCHB

Reaction score
A half ton truck will keep you on the small side. Most total length trailers of 25ft will weight in around 4500# dry and will push 7,000# wet.

81Sprint

Reaction score
for the price of that i would go new. if your gonna fulltime it, i would upgrade the tow rig to at least a 3/4 ton, better engine options and more mass, and then go fifth wheel. i had a bumper pull toy hauler pulled behind a 1/2 ton, now i have a 2500 dmax pulling a 36' 5th wheel and its nite and day. It is so much less stress with the 5th wheel, you wont get the white knuckle of passing/being passed by big rigs swaying the shit out your trailer.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
We never full timed in our trailers. We began with an 18' Layton TT, then up graded to a 30' Wanderer TT by Thor, then our last was a 40' 5WH Big Horn by Heartland. We were unique. We didn't tow any of these. We found an RV Resort we really liked and left each RV right there, on site. Each were an obvious upgrade in size and quality. And don't regret buying any of them. Although, shortly after purchasing our large Big Horn by Heartland a high quality manufacturer, Heartland was bought out by Thor Industries, who had made our lessor quality 30' Wanderer. The RV industry is a very small world, and getting smaller. Find what works for you. There is some great units out there. Enjoy.

spectras only

Reaction score
2016 Dutchmen Denali 289RK. 34'.5 OAL. 7650 dry weight, max gvw 9600lbs. Check labels on the TT for max loaded weight capacity. My 2014 RKS had more load cap because it was lighter. Half ton tow ables like the unit you're looking at, typically have less capacity. Your 1/2 T Eco would tow it no problem. The Ecoboost with Max tow has the built in electric brake controller and built in sway control. However, I use swaybars, both, left and right side on the frame up front, rather than relying on the built in [ABS sway control ] system.;) These trailers are quite large [ a huge sail o_O] and strong crosswind gusts can toss them around, regardless what you tow with, 1/2, 3/4 or 1T . Listen to weather report in the area you travel and slow down if strong winds reported.
upload_2019-12-4_19-42-4.png

upload_2019-12-4_20-3-40.png

satellitemike

Reaction score
SM
I'm under the belief. The tax will be paid when your registered the trailer.

Extended warranty. I've never been a fan, except when I owned a Ford 6.0. The warranty paid itself 2x.

As you are probably aware... the tow weight = fully weighted. Water, waste, food, clothing etc.

make sure you have electronic brakes.

use the electric brakes if swaying.

Also, old rule of thumb...whatever gear you climbed that hill, use the same gear coming down...

Congrats on the upcoming retirement!!

My truck has all the tow stuff including the E trailer brakes, only thing I think I will add to it is air bags.
The trailer we are looking at is at the max end of what I would be comfortable towing w my rig, I would be about 4k below max rating fully loaded.
Thanks but retirement is still quite a few years away unfortunately.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Outdoors RV Titanium 21FQS TT with all sorts of extras for sale and would throw in the heavy duty stabilizer as well. Its a well built all weather trailer. You can go check them out on their website. If interested send me a PM and I will send you the details. New ones are in the 45+ range. These are not your lightweight variety trailers.

Your 150 will pull it but on big grades you will not be running up the mountain at full speed. I initially used my F150 to tow with.

https://outdoorsrvmfg.com/titanium-series-floorplans/

Last edited:

satellitemike

Reaction score
Get a 3/4 ton truck. I wouldn’t pull that big of a trailer with any 1/2 ton.

Do you really want a trailer that big? Are you having a lot of family and friends in the trailer with you?

That’s a lot of weight and size to tow around and get into some parks.

I’m planning on doing the same thing you are and I’m looking at 22’ to 24’ trailers, I won’t have anyone but my girlfriend and I don’t want to have any extra beds for family to tag along. I’ve got a 2500 HD Crew.

I think a lot of people try to get the biggest they can tow instead of what they need. Most of my entertaining will be outside the trailer so an outdoor TV would be nice.

Good luck, love to see what you buy!
Trust me I would be very happy with a 25' footer but the wife wants room. I don't plan on any guests but I have been over ruled before and probably will be again!

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
2016 Dutchmen Denali 289RK. 34'.5 OAL. 7650 dry weight, max gvw 9600lbs. Check labels on the TT for max loaded weight capacity. My 2014 RKS had more load cap because it was lighter. Half ton tow ables like the unit you're looking at, typically have less capacity. Your 1/2 T Eco would tow it no problem. The Ecoboost with Max tow has the built in electric brake controller and built in sway control. However, I use swaybars, both, left and right side on the frame up front, rather than relying on the built in [ABS sway control ] system.;) These trailers are quite large [ a huge sail o_O] and strong crosswind gusts can toss them around, regardless what you tow with, 1/2, 3/4 or 1T . Listen to weather report in the area you travel and slow down if strong winds reported.
View attachment 822384
View attachment 822395

If you sold that Ford half ton and got a 1978 big block one ton truck, it would tow much better.

Last edited:

satellitemike

Reaction score
View attachment 822384
View attachment 822395
Very nice looking TT, still happy with your purchase?
I know it has the balls to pull it but controlling it is another story in gusty conditions.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Ok, we sold the river house to get ready for retirement and we are now searching for a decent trailer to take to check out possible retirement areas over the next few years.
Gonna make a post about the best retirement areas in the Southwest soon!
Question I have are what should I be on the lookout for and what should I stay away from?
I am on my third F150 w 3.5 EB that all have been practically issue free. Current one is has max tow package that is rated for 13.2k but I would never get close to that as I am thinking I wouldnt want to get much past 9k fully loaded. I know it will pull it but controlling it in cross winds and stopping would most likely be a pucker fest!
This is the one we have our eye on currently and it is out of AZ and private party = no tax!
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/rvs/d/fountain-hills-2018-rockwood-2906ws/7026933006.html
Thoughts, can I get a new one close to that, should I be looking for extended warranty, will I need air bags or will the load leveling hitch be enough, etc...…?
Have you considered a toy hauler?
It offers some perks.
Usually more water storage.
A generator.
You could have a golf cart or SxS, a Harley or whatever to cruise trailer parks, explore the area etc.
The drop back door is nice for ventilation rather than running AC if it’s warm but not hot.
Personally I prefer the option to not rely on a park and plug ins if possible or an option.
You can also move a lot of shit in a toy hauler when the time comes to make the big move.

Depending on what you get it’s plenty doable with an F-150, although I prefer the more is better angle in a tow vehicle, vs the less is ok angle, lol.
Plenty of haulers out there could work with a 150

spectras only

Reaction score
I know it has the balls to pull it but controlling it is another story in gusty conditions.
Happy with the truck. I pull the TT through BC's mountains with 6-8 and even 9 grades. I'm sure the 1 T PSD would pull harder uphill, but am in no hurry like everyone else towing 70-80 mph.;) Besides, here in BC, tow speed limits are 55 with little exception.
Having fireplace, recliner rockers is a bonus and the wife likes it:)
I have slide toppers that keep leaves and water out when pulling sliders in.

satellitemike

Reaction score
Happy with the truck. I pull the TT through BC's mountains with 6-8 and even 9 grades. I'm sure the 1 T PSD would pull harder uphill, but am in no hurry like everyone else towing 70-80 mph.;) Besides, here in BC, tow speed limits are 55 with little exception.
Having fireplace, recliner rockers is a bonus and the wife likes it:)
What's the tongue weight on your trailer?
Did you add air bags?

spectras only

Reaction score

oldschool

Reaction score
Along with a weight distribution hitch get 2 sway controls. I ran this on a 34’ Springdale TT and it towed straight as an arrow.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Get a good PROACTIVE sway control hitch (has built in sway control) and have the hitch set up correctly and your truck will handle the weight as well as a larger truck. Only way to gey better with that is to go increase truck wheelbase (long bed crew cab, and/or dually) or go to a 5th wheel/gooseneck. The latter you won't find very many options due to the much higher pin weight of a 5th/gooseneck versus the lower payload capacity of the F-150 vs the 250's and up.

If you're going to want to camp for any seriously length of time in a RV, you're gonna want more than a 25'er. My parents and Aunt and Uncle recently upgraded to 30' 5'ers from their toyhaulers for that reason. More of comfortable living space. If you stay around 30' you'll find few campground restrictions (pin to bumper or hitch to bumper for a conventional).

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
My 2 cents:
Some people are put off by the hieght and mass of a 5er. I know they make 1/2 ton towable ones, if you stick to the 150. I have probably more miles towing in adverse conditions than most non-commercial drivers. Lots of car shows and hauling cars and parts in enclosed trailers cross country. Hands down, I would much rather tow a goose or 5er than a tag. Just last night this was re-affirmed driving down I10 through Palm Desert. Towing a small, 20ft enclosed behind an Excursion. The Excursion itself is fairly heavy/stable, and a 3/4 ton platform. I'd guess the trailer weight was just shy of 8k. Tows more safely than some, but not as comfortable as I'd like. I have two bigger enclosed rigs, but current truck issues are a problem.

All said and done, you have a major advantage. Being as though you'll be retired, you may schedule around the weather. Cross winds are a serious enemy. A semi passing will always react the same, until you are also fighting a cross wind. The more miles you put down, the more comfortable you'll get, no matter what vehicle you tow with or trailer you tow.

PS, Prescott's nice, but we get snow...and try not to bring any "Californication" with you;)

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Along with a weight distribution hitch get 2 sway controls. I ran this on a 34’ Springdale TT and it towed straight as an arrow.

the new hitch’s are much better. Get this or the Equalizer version.

I just sold this for $200. OP missed out.

Attachments

• A456AC9D-9AC2-47FD-8FF2-6D80E5113B5E.jpeg
    A456AC9D-9AC2-47FD-8FF2-6D80E5113B5E.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 60A28896-E357-47C4-986D-3FAE654CB986.jpeg
    60A28896-E357-47C4-986D-3FAE654CB986.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 70

USMC2010

Reaction score
IMG_0880.JPG

2016 Forestriver Sandstorm toyhauler. It's a 25' with a total length of 30'6" and a GVWR UNDER 10000. Without any toys in the back I believe it is around 7000. I have it listed for $24000. I can provide additional pictures if interested. I need to get it listed here in it's own post.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
the new hitch’s are much better. Get this or the Equalizer version.

I just sold this for $200. OP missed out.

Thats the same one I have on my trailer but maybe more capacity on the bars. That was a steal for $200.

hawgty55

Reaction score
I would go with a 5th wheel or go with rv and tow the truck.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Don’t let these guys scare you about a 30’ trailer and your 1/2ton. They tow fine when set up correctly and use a quality hitch $400 is the entry point on a good one.

stay under 9000lbs for sure. Closer to 8000lbs the better.
I just sold my 32’ trailer 6500lb empty and probably 7500lb loaded. In severe wind it was doable but not fun at all. I was towing with a 1/2ton ram rated at 10k. Had all the power in the world for hills just to light in the ass. This is why I recommend a lighter trailer. 7500lbs pushing the truck around is allot different than 9000!

I upgraded to a 2500 gas long bed and it was night and day for control and the same on hills power wise.

I promise you anything over 9000 is going to take the fun out of it real quick. it can be done for sure but not as relaxing.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Don’t let these guys scare you about a 30’ trailer and your 1/2ton. They tow fine when set up correctly and use a quality hitch $400 is the entry point on a good one.

stay under 9000lbs for sure. Closer to 8000lbs the better.
I just sold my 32’ trailer 6500lb empty and probably 7500lb loaded. In severe wind it was doable but not fun at all. I was towing with a 1/2ton ram rated at 10k. Had all the power in the world for hills just to light in the ass. This is why I recommend a lighter trailer. 7500lbs pushing the truck around is allot different than 9000!

I upgraded to a 2500 gas long bed and it was night and day for control and the same on hills power wise.

I promise you anything over 9000 is going to take the fun out of it real quick. it can be done for sure but not as relaxing.
If your trailer was 6500 dry and empty, I guaran-dam-tee you it was over 7500 loaded. Loaded with water and all the food, clothes, etc... I bet ya dollars to doughnuts that the trailer weight was closer to 8500lbs.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Stay within the manufacture ratings.... And here is a brilliant idea since you are/will be retired... Regardless of how much truck you have, if the weather sucks or is blowing then don't tow until its nice! Its pretty comical on a boating website where people won't leave the house if the wind is blowing 10 knots, but have to have tow rigs that will push a 70 mph cross wind....

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Another plus for the OP is going to different parks. He won't have to carry a full load of fresh water, like boondocking would require. That saves a lot of weight. With my old toyhauler, if you had the fresh tanks full, you'd have better had the back loaded with toys to offset the pin weight. Don't know if it's the same on tag toy haulers, but the 5er seemed front heavy until loaded.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
If your trailer was 6500 dry and empty, I guaran-dam-tee you it was over 7500 loaded. Loaded with water and all the food, clothes, etc... I bet ya dollars to doughnuts that the trailer weight was closer to 8500lbs.

It was a travel trailer. I carried no more than a 1/4 tank of water. Tank had 45gallon capacity.
2000lbs of groceries,clothes and lawn chairs?

buddy had Exact same trailer but aluminum sides and he was low 6,000lbs

satellitemike

Reaction score
My 2 cents:
Some people are put off by the hieght and mass of a 5er. I know they make 1/2 ton towable ones, if you stick to the 150. I have probably more miles towing in adverse conditions than most non-commercial drivers. Lots of car shows and hauling cars and parts in enclosed trailers cross country. Hands down, I would much rather tow a goose or 5er than a tag. Just last night this was re-affirmed driving down I10 through Palm Desert. Towing a small, 20ft enclosed behind an Excursion. The Excursion itself is fairly heavy/stable, and a 3/4 ton platform. I'd guess the trailer weight was just shy of 8k. Tows more safely than some, but not as comfortable as I'd like. I have two bigger enclosed rigs, but current truck issues are a problem.

All said and done, you have a major advantage. Being as though you'll be retired, you may schedule around the weather. Cross winds are a serious enemy. A semi passing will always react the same, until you are also fighting a cross wind. The more miles you put down, the more comfortable you'll get, no matter what vehicle you tow with or trailer you tow.

PS, Prescott's nice, but we get snow...and try not to bring any "Californication" with you;)
Long story short I would love to get a 3/4 diesel and a fifth wheel set up but my truck wont change from a half ton anytime soon due to work requirements.
I cant wait to get out of this shit hole of a state and yes I will be leaving all the bullshit behind, unfortunately I have at least 8 years left unless I start playing the lottery and get lucky!

satellitemike

Reaction score
View attachment 822523
2016 Forestriver Sandstorm toyhauler. It's a 25' with a total length of 30'6" and a GVWR UNDER 10000. Without any toys in the back I believe it is around 7000. I have it listed for $24000. I can provide additional pictures if interested. I need to get it listed here in it's own post.
Now is the time to post it up for sale as we are now in full swing for desert off road season.