WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Marine Air

Times Like These

Reaction score
Anybody have a contact that does marine a/c. I have Marine Air Systems units in my boat and need some service. Domestic now owns Marine Air. Located in Marina del Rey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
What make boat? Is there a dealer in the vicinity?

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Anybody have a contact that does marine a/c. I have Marine Air Systems units in my boat and need some service. Domestic now owns Marine Air. Located in Marina del Rey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

what issues are you having or service are you looking for? Marine AC is essentially just a water source heat pump.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Short of a bad controller or water pump, chances are that good money is on a new replacement unit. If it says, "marine air" on it, chances are its r22 refrigerant which is two times over obsolete and really expensive, especially in CA; pretty much making it not worth opening up the sealed system even if it could be repaired.

I work on these units somewhat often and am fairly familiar with them as I have a 16k unit in my Formula and a 12k unit on standby for when it kicks the bucket.

If you give more detail as to the exact issue, I might be able to help

Times Like These

Reaction score
Had the exhaust/ turbo come apart on a recent cruise. It created massive heat, soot and smoke and some fire filled the entire engine room. Just had the exhaust/ turbos serviced right before trip. Mechanic took one look and took full responsibility.
All units power on with an error code, and a/c pump does not come on.
Huge mess with the wiring. So far invertor/charger needed to be replaced, driveshafts cracked, melted shaft seals, all ceiling panels and lighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Is error code instant or after about 1-2 minutes of running. Also what style controllers are they running. SMX or SMX2 I'm guessing....?

That sucks about the the engines, sounds like a mess

Times Like These

Reaction score
Error came on initially us, then went away and show temp as normal
IMG_3659.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Sounds to me like a high pressure fault. Usually indicative of low or no water flow. The ac water pump is almost always in the engine room near the engines (the only exception I've ever seen is on houseboats) with the kind of heat/fire damage you described in the engine room, my money is on a damaged ac water pump or wiring to said pump somewhere aft of the bulk head.

It sounds like you have multiple ac units. Often times these units share a single water pump via a junction/relay box that is usually placed near one of the units. I'm thinking theres nothing wrong with your units and the problem lays in the engine room.

At this point I would hotwire the ac water pump at the junction box to see if it comes on and then see if the ac units will crank up without a fault code. If issue persists, hotwire the pump direct back at the engine room.

Most water pumps will use standard color code: black=hot, white=neutral, green=ground. I have seen some that are European color code though: brown=hot, blue=neutral, green w/ yellow stripe= ground. THESE ARE 110VAC+ SYSTEMS so be careful when playing with the wires.