WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hula to the Bahamas..........again

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
A few pics from this morning. We went to checkout a jobsite here to what kind of building practices are used. View attachment 822642 View attachment 822644 View attachment 822645

This home was under construction before the hurricane hit

I believe the footings were all that was done. View attachment 822642 View attachment 822644 View attachment 822645

Kinda cool to see some hand stacked shit. Dont see that much around here anymore. One of my favorite things to do, hand cut a roof on the ground then watch the pieces go together above! Much respect for that! Most "journeymen" carpenters wouldnt even know where to start these days..lol

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Kinda cool to see some hand stacked shit. Dont see that much around here anymore. One of my favorite things to do, hand cut a roof on the ground then watch the pieces go together above! Much respect for that! Most "journeymen" carpenters wouldnt even know where to start these days..lol
I've been a 'journeyman" carpenter since I earned in it 2000.

Started my apprenticeship in 1998.
Worked double hours, commuting between Eau Claire and the twin cities for 1.5 years.
I've set forms for footings that were 20' wide and 5' thick. We pumped 1000 yards in a day.

Parking structure 2 stories below grade.

Cantilevered footers....
1.375 rebar on 4" centers. Couldn't get a workbook in between 'em. Hard to climb.

Harder to set forms. Even harder to get the shut-offs done between pours..

We persevered......

Carhart bibs, iceman boots...
-20 and we gotter done.....

Pounding #8penny nails to get form boards to stand by bucks in January isn't for the faint of heart. ;)

Headless hula

Reaction score
Anybody wanna rake off their gloves to grab a 8 penny nail in -20 below weather?

Wanna do it for 10 hours a day?

What's up buttercup?

Lemme know when you can do it while hanging on safety chains @10 stories...

We'll chat over a coffee. ;)

I earned me journeyman card while setting forms for the "MEDTRONICS GLOBAL HEADQUARTERS"- and the "ALLIANCE" buildings in Minneapolis.....

I wouldn't know a fucking thing about proper shoring or formwork..........:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:D

Headless hula

Reaction score
The SHITHEADS that"re here from England, or other subservient countries,......

Truly don't understand the 'value of a dolllsr5"...:eek:

snowhammer

Exploratory Vacation Time
Reaction score
The SHITHEADS that"re here from England, or other subservient countries,......

Truly don't understand the 'value of a dolllsr5"...:eek:

We ran into a few pompous Brits when we were there. My standard response, "you guys aren't worth a $h!t and hanging on to newly discovered continents, but you do do a hell of a job of hanging on to these cute little islands, it's always good to visit."

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
I'll admit that I do not have my "journeyman card" as I have never worked in the union.. but can guarantee, I can build(start to finish) with the best of them. ;):p:cool::D

Guess I'd be called a scab..lol ohh well, some things in life you just have to deal with..lol

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I'll admit that I do not have my "journeyman card" as I have never worked in the union.. but can guarantee, I can build(start to finish) with the best of them. ;):p:cool::D

Guess I'd be called a scab..lol ohh well, some things in life you just have to deal with..lol
#Scabpride!
My Pops was a union guy...I asked him if he minded me not going that route.
Different strokes for different folks. Hula probably ain't a "brother in good standing" anymore:rolleyes:
It's not about how you learn a trade, it's if you learn your trade. Bottom line, do good work. That gives you more work, and that pays bills:D

Blue Oval

Reaction score
“Earhart bibs, iceman boots...
-20 and we gotter done”

I should do a add for Iceman Boots. When we totaled the wrecker out two years ago, I was wearing my Icemans. We were cleaning roofs off. The kid was doing 40mph when he hit my door. The floor buckled and my foot was stuck in the floor. I had to take the laces out of the boot to get my foot out. If not for those boots my foot would have been a mess.

Headless hula

Reaction score

The only thing the union was good for was the education I got from the apprenticeship. I left in 2001 and haven't looked back. :D

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
“Earhart bibs, iceman boots...
-20 and we gotter done”

I should do a add for Iceman Boots. When we totaled the wrecker out two years ago, I was wearing my Icemans. We were cleaning roofs off. The kid was doing 40mph when he hit my door. The floor buckled and my foot was stuck in the floor. I had to take the laces out of the boot to get my foot out. If not for those boots my foot would have been a mess.
Never heard of Icemans...I think RD needs a pair though:p

Are they insulated work boots? I have to look them up now;)

Blue Oval

Reaction score
Never heard of Icemans...I think RD needs a pair though:p

Are they insulated work boots? I have to look them up now;)

My wife ran a chairlift at Boyne Mountain when the boys were little. She was introduced to Iceman Boots. They are the best boot for being stuck out in the cold.
E66102B9-817C-4705-9C2E-322064A1CCCF.jpeg

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Yeah these west coast dudes don’t know SHIT about loading trucks at 5am when it’s 10 below and triple layered carhartts Lmao...

but these Midwest dudes can’t hang when it’s 100+ doing midnight pours and shit...

been on both sides and it’s equally brutal!

Backlash

Reaction score
She to call them Mickey Mouse boots back in the day. I've still got a pair of Sorels that are 25 years old! :eek:

Headless hula

Reaction score
She to call them Mickey Mouse boots back in the day. I've still got a pair of Sorels that are 25 years old! :eek:
You can buy military surplus Mickey mouse boots. They're inflatable.

Mickey mouse boots are a different thing than sorels. Sorels have a felt insulation layer. Mickey mouse boots are all rubber construction. Your feet sweat in them, then slide around while walking and give you blisters. They suck for walking.

Headless hula

Reaction score
Pretty amazing how quickly at least some areas are cleaning up and homes getting rebuilt. Are these people in your shots tourists or homeowners ?
The black guy is our taxi driver. Tripleb's wife is the blonde. He asked if the taxi driver wanted to take us down here and have lunch with us. It's a 45 minute ride from marsh harbor to get here.

Most of the damage is north of here.

Taboma

Reaction score
The black guy is our taxi driver. Tripleb's wife is the blonde. He asked if the taxi driver wanted to take us down here and have lunch with us. It's a 45 minute ride from marsh harbor to get here.

Most of the damage is north of here.

In the "Bar Scene" there were some young ladies and a few folks hanging about --- you mentioned Brits as well. I figured tourists were a stretch, but you never know.
In general the impression I've gotten from your pics are that so far as clean up, at least on Elbow Cay, folks have been busy with cleaning up and recovery since your last visit.
I was truly impressed to see the progress on the continuation of that house they were framing. Hell, the wheels in Havasu rarely move that swift :p

snowhammer

Exploratory Vacation Time
Reaction score
Pete's Pub is my favorite there. I'm glad the sculptures and gallery survived. I'm a little surprised that elevated dock made it through.

RichL

Reaction score
We need to get Brooks a new BT shirt. The new shirts are all wicking material. Heidi can take credit for pushing me to get the girls to get a better T-shirt. View attachment 823419 View attachment 823419
We need to get Brooks a new BT shirt. The new shirts are all wicking material. Heidi can take credit for pushing me to get the girls to get a better T-shirt. View attachment 823419 View attachment 823419
Nice work there Bob.
:D

Headless hula

Reaction score
Pete's Pub is my favorite there. I'm glad the sculptures and gallery survived. I'm a little surprised that elevated dock made it through.
They fared quite well. 1 roof of all the buildings took damage and was tarped.
The rest at the most, lost gutters...

buck35

Reaction score
Getting materials there can't be any fun .what is a ballpark on this and how does one even go about it ?

Headless hula

Reaction score
20191208_134640.jpg

Fish melt sammich.

Grouper, carmelized onions and mushrooms, cheese. :D

To be perfectly honest I haven't had a great feeling about this place on this trip. Listening to stories of how the government is crippling the rebuilding process, essentially holding donated materials hostage.

Today I finally found a few glimmers of positive results, and real progress.

Its not an easy task to navigate through the political BS to get things done.

Nordie

Reaction score
View attachment 823625

Fish melt sammich.

Grouper, carmelized onions and mushrooms, cheese. :D

To be perfectly honest I haven't had a great feeling about this place on this trip. Listening to stories of how the government is crippling the rebuilding process, essentially holding donated materials hostage.

Today I finally found a few glimmers of positive results, and real progress.

Its not an easy task to navigate through the political BS to get things done.

I miss eating fresh caught grouper, freaking looks good.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Keep your head up Sean. I assume that it can be overwhelming. Just keep pushing through with what your are able to do. It will be helpful for those that need it.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Just think it could be worst. You could have flown hours only to see total failure like I did this weekend. LOL

1E93D4E0-D8D6-4115-AA53-2B8A3F7AE98E.jpeg