WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

HVAC, what units don’t suck?

CanyonLakeDave

Reaction score
With all this HVAC talk it reminds me I probably should replace our park model unit.
Anyone on here doing installs at The Islander please reach out to me.

2Driver

Reaction score
25 years ago we moved into our house and the garage had a Fedders central air unit. The AC guy checking it out laughed and said, “that is over 15 years old, you might get another year out of it”.

LOL Well fast forward 25 years it still makes super cold air and Ive never touched it. It will freeze me out of the garage. I have the same unit, same age, on our gym and it still makes ice.

SixD9R

Reaction score
do you go out to your car every day and say a prayer it will start? Lol.

AC is a piece of machinery and does require maintenance. why not perform basic maintenance and have a mechanic look at it and you won’t have to pray anymore?
Whoa- the prayer comment was more in jest than anything but since the system is better than 20 years old I know it’s only a matter of time until I have to shell out a good bit of cash for new stuff. As I said it’s working very well as is though.
Let me ask you a question. For the 100-150 that a service company would charge what exactly would they do besides check pressures and maybe clean it? I mean it’s not like they are going to pull the compressor apart and check or lubricant the bearings. Additionally, if the pressures on an older unit like mine are off can it even be recharged?
Thanks!

Ladsm

Reaction score
Yorks were god till Johnson Controls bought them, Trane and Carrier are great units and parts are easy to get for many years.

DaBank

Reaction score
On a side note does any HVAC guys here know of any Southern California Edison Engrey Business Programs available for Hvac and /or lighting upgrades preformed free or at a reduced cost?

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
I personally have no experience with it. But have heard decent things. One thing to keep in mind is pretty much all heating and air is the same. Everyone pretty much uses the same compressors, motors and control boards. They just package it differently. Think of it as a Chevy suburban, GMC Yukon, or Cadillac Escalade. They are essentially the same thing when you break them down. But you have different levels of quality, different features, etc.

The Escalade is the nicest, quietest, best finish, etc. but it’s Essentially the same truck as the cheaper suburban.

then why did both seats (heating and cooling) break last year on my Escalade?:D 3k to fix they said.... I said no.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
On a side note does any HVAC guys here know of any Southern California Edison Engrey Business Programs available for Hvac and /or lighting upgrades preformed free or at a reduced cost?

There are no Edison HVAC rebates currently.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Is SEER rating strictly about energy use?

Yes. SEER is the same to AC as MPG is to cars.
A 14 seer 3 ton and a 16 seer 3 ton both produce 36k BTU of cooling.
The 16 seer just does the same job using less electricity.

Last edited:

spark2678

Reaction score
It’s all about proper supply and return air flow. They all have their negatives and positives. Keep charge on top, coil cleaned and the air flow better than unit recommendations and the unit will last.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Whoa- the prayer comment was more in jest than anything but since the system is better than 20 years old I know it’s only a matter of time until I have to shell out a good bit of cash for new stuff. As I said it’s working very well as is though.
Let me ask you a question. For the 100-150 that a service company would charge what exactly would they do besides check pressures and maybe clean it? I mean it’s not like they are going to pull the compressor apart and check or lubricant the bearings. Additionally, if the pressures on an older unit like mine are off can it even be recharged?
Thanks!
Any unit can be repaired and recharged. It's just a matter of if it's worth the expense to do so. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess your unit is about a 8 or 9 SEER. It'll do the job and you'll be comfortable but that electric meter will be spinning like a top.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Yorks were god till Johnson Controls bought them, Trane and Carrier are great units and parts are easy to get for many years.
That is if there is a Carrier dealer anywhere near you. On the Central Coast the nearest dealer is Sigler in Bakersfield and they are not very easy to remotely deal with. Carriers are not common in the area because of that and because repairing them is such an ordeal.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
When I bought my house it had a “Goodman” AC unit.
Everyone including @Riverbound said “I’m sorry...”.

house was built in 11.. here we are in 19 and it’s still crankin.. lol.
I have no doubt it’s probably a shit box but god knows it lives in one of the toughest environments in the country and anyone that knows me knows I run the shit out of the house unit and Garage AC’s. My garage is 76 right now. (Heat pumps)

I figure the biggest threat to our home HVAC is Stacy’s phone since we put the nest in.. she’s hot it’s 60.. she’s cold it’s 85.. I keep telling her it isn’t a car AC but she doesn’t listen.

last two or three times she did the phone it was on cold and pumping hot and vice versa lol

From what everyone says now Goodman turned a corner and are a good unit.. wtf?

I know Jack shit about any of it but if I had a choice it would be a Trans or a Carrier just from years of hearing how they are the beesnees

wettrthebettr

Reaction score

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
When I bought my house it had a “Goodman” AC unit.
Everyone including @Riverbound said “I’m sorry...”.

house was built in 11.. here we are in 19 and it’s still crankin.. lol.
I have no doubt it’s probably a shit box but god knows it lives in one of the toughest environments in the country and anyone that knows me knows I run the shit out of the house unit and Garage AC’s. My garage is 76 right now. (Heat pumps)

I figure the biggest threat to our home HVAC is Stacy’s phone since we put the nest in.. she’s hot it’s 60.. she’s cold it’s 85.. I keep telling her it isn’t a car AC but she doesn’t listen.

last two or three times she did the phone it was on cold and pumping hot and vice versa lol

From what everyone says now Goodman turned a corner and are a good unit.. wtf?

I know Jack shit about any of it but if I had a choice it would be a Trans or a Carrier just from years of hearing how they are the beesnees

Daikin bought Goodman manufacturing. This was a good thing as they fixed a lot of manufacturing, quality, and distribution issues that Goodman had. They really cleaned up the brand in the last 5 years or so.

“Goodman” branded product always was the value brand. Minimal to no sound deadening qualities, no protection devices, low quality finish, etc. then the distributors would offer the product to anyone (this is really Where the problem lies) so you had plumbers, handymen, framers, electricians, remodelers etc having access to the product with no training. They would “install” product but not do it correctly and there was an extremely high failure rate. Never would the installer take blame they would say it was product related. And this further tarnished the brand.
Goodman manufacturing tried fixing this by creating the Amana products. These products are their “high end” compressor insulators, sound deadening, better paint finish, safeties, etc. and better qualified dealer network. So even though it was essentially the same product it was generally related to a better installation.

Earlier I posted that installation is what makes a system. 9 times out of 10 when you see a Goodman it was the cheapest product installed by the low bidder or not even an AC contractor at all. On occasion you will get one that was installed correctly and they will run forever. Yours obviously was installed correctly and will most likely last a long time as there are minimal parts to fail. Keep it maintained and you will be good to go for a long time.

when the time comes don’t buy a “brand” buy the installer, the installation methods and features tures of the system. ;)

Last edited:

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
yes, and you will not need a HVAC contractors License to buy it, Just use a HVAC contractors number from a Friend for the Factory Warranty.

they have gotten a lot more stringent. They will not only require proof of install and start up by a licensed contractor but will generally also require maintenance records.

most of not all internet purchased items will come with zero manufacturers warranty or support.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
Daikin bought Goodman manufacturing. This was a good thing as they fixed a lot of manufacturing, quality, and distribution issues that Goodman had. They really cleaned up the brand in the last 5 years or so.

“Goodman” branded product always was the value brand. Minimal to no sound deadening qualities, no protection devices, low quality finish, etc. then the distributors would offer the product to anyone (this is really Where the problem lies) so you had plumbers, handymen, framers, electricians, remodelers etc having access to the product with no training. They would “install” product but not do it correctly and there was an extremely high failure rate. Never would the installer take blame they would say it was product related. And this further tarnished the brand.
Goodman manufacturing tried fixing this by creating the Amana products. These products are their “high end” compressor insulators, sound deadening, better paint finish, safeties, etc. and better qualified dealer network. So even though it was essentially the same product it was generally related to a better installation.

Earlier I posted that installation is what makes a system. 9 times out of 10 when you see a Goodman it was the cheapest product installed by the low bidder or not even an AC contractor at all. On occasion you will get one that was installed correctly and they will run forever. Yours obviously was installed correctly and will most likely last a long time as there are minimal parts to fail. Keep it maintained and you will be good to go for a long time.

when the time comes don’t buy a “brand” buy the installer, the installation methods and features tures of the system. ;)
The problem with, “buy a installer” is you don’t know any of them. The only real source of info I have is this forum. And there is really no consensus on who the guy is in havasu.

The one guy that came to give a quote, that really checked out my home was,”the weather man” anybody out here use him. He sells amana.

ASZ14048 COND H/P 14 SEER 4.0T 1PH 230V
ASPT61D14
A/H 5.0T MLPOS PNTD ECM TXV
AIR LEAK LESS THAN 1.4% @
.5"WC HIGH PERFORMANCE
USE AHRI TO VERIFY RATING
& CAPACITY ON SYSTEM MATCH-UPS

ASZ16048 COND H/P 16SEER 4.0T 1PH 230V
ASPT61D14
A/H 5.0T MLPOS PNTD ECM TXV
AIR LEAK LESS THAN 1.4% @.5"WC HIGH PERFORMANCE
USE AHRI TO VERIFY RATING &
CAPACITY ON SYSTEM MATCH-UPS

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score

SixD9R

Reaction score
Any unit can be repaired and recharged. It's just a matter of if it's worth the expense to do so. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess your unit is about a 8 or 9 SEER. It'll do the job and you'll be comfortable but that electric meter will be spinning like a top.

Dam you are good. The unit is a 10 SEER and it’s a 3 ton unit. For my 2100 SF house, my electric bill goes from around 90 to 140ish per month. But that only for 3 months so 150 for the season is not bad I think. I’ve thought about upgrading to a new system but I just can’t see spending thousands to save a few bucks on electricity when my current system works like a charm. Thanks for the reply!

PlanB

Reaction score
Carey installed a 16 seer American Standard on our place in Havasu almost 10 years ago. He also does the service on it once a year. No issues at all, and it cools the house much better than the unit he replaced.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Dam you are good. The unit is a 10 SEER and it’s a 3 ton unit. For my 2100 SF house, my electric bill goes from around 90 to 140ish per month. But that only for 3 months so 150 for the season is not bad I think. I’ve thought about upgrading to a new system but I just can’t see spending thousands to save a few bucks on electricity when my current system works like a charm. Thanks for the reply!
Where do you live that your electric bills are that low? In the months where I wouldn't even use the HVAC at all in my house the bills were still up around $175ish. Your bills are that low, just keep things clean and run that bitch til she dies! Having a Preventative Maintenance done by a quality and qualified company wouldn't be a bad idea. Just to check the charge, caps, contactors, etc.. just to make sure it'll stay running well as long as possible.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Where do you live that your electric bills are that low? In the months where I wouldn't even use the HVAC at all in my house the bills were still up around $175ish. Your bills are that low, just keep things clean and run that bitch til she dies! Having a Preventative Maintenance done by a quality and qualified company wouldn't be a bad idea. Just to check the charge, caps, contactors, etc.. just to make sure it'll stay running well as long as possible.

So Cal my electric bill in winter is around $40 and summer with AC on every night is no more than $120. Small house though. My mobile at river to run 4 wall bangers cost $5 a day. I never leave lights on.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
My Trane fail on day 3. My installer called Trane, the warehouse dropped it off same day and replaced the whole unit (Compressor failure).

That was 3 years ago. I replaced a 22 year old American Standard, which I never had serviced (ever).

so far the Trane is working great, and will do like I did with my American Standard, run to failure.

SixD9R

Reaction score

Just outside of Allentown Pa
Me plus wife and one kid in the house.
House is mostly electric since natural gas isn’t available here. Range, clothes dryer, and water heater are all electric. Plus well pump and sewer pumps use some juice as well. I have oil heat but run a wood stove in the basement anytime the evening goes down to around 35-40 or less. In Pa we can shop around for our generation supplier and I go with whoever is offering the best prices without getting sucked into a long term contract or some whiz bang deal that will go through the roof in a few months. I just checked and I’m paying.0638 per kWh and 1.0675 total with distribution charges. Then there is about 10 in taxes and bullshit fees on that.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Just outside of Allentown Pa
Me plus wife and one kid in the house.
House is mostly electric since natural gas isn’t available here. Range, clothes dryer, and water heater are all electric. Plus well pump and sewer pumps use some juice as well. I have oil heat but run a wood stove in the basement anytime the evening goes down to around 35-40 or less. In Pa we can shop around for our generation supplier and I go with whoever is offering the best prices without getting sucked into a long term contract or some whiz bang deal that will go through the roof in a few months. I just checked and I’m paying.0638 per kWh and 1.0675 total with distribution charges. Then there is about 10 in taxes and bullshit fees on that.
Ahh.... Well there ya go. Outside of California. Lol! Residential HVAC is so different back east. It's really kinda weird in that regard.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
It's kind of funny how all this works.
Having lived on Sunset Cliffs in San Diego, I can only think of a few days a year I might want A/C. (Santa Ana winds) 15 miles west and it's a big deal. 75 Miles west and it becomes mandatory.
Never needed A/C when I lived in Redmond, WA. and can't recall needing it when I lived in Aurora, Co.
Out here in the far west Chicago burbs it seems to be optional. I have many neighbors who do without. I have to have it for 3 months.
So what becomes apparent is, it's not just the use of the equipment but Father time that takes its toll as well.
Nobody or few have 40 year old a/c units that keep on ticking.