WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Future Shock: I’m obsolete or it’s gone full circle.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Wasn’t their a best selling book way back with that title? Future Shock.
Maybe it talked how everything in the future will be run by computers, everything in our lives would keep changing at a fast rate.

Self driving cars, cameras recording everything, retail stores gone. We become introverted with electronics.

Maybe it’s arrived. No, not maybe.

I’m using Amazon Prime by default for the simplest things.
Couldn’t find our pets favorite brand pet food in 20 lb bags at several places so I ordered it late last night and it was just delivered free at 5:01 AM.

The wife ain’t musclefucking 65lb bags of pet food even if ya get 15 lbs free. No place to store it at Crankshaft Manor anyway. Floor jacks take up too much space.

Remember Angie of My Mans Sporting Wood?
Angie guided me through picking out my wife’s Wedding Ring online and I think that was my first big ticket purchase on the net.

Come a long way since.
To our youngest child it’s all they’ve ever known.

I remember as a kid seeing Dr Williams walk up to the neighbors house one morning. A housecall. The Millers picked up intestinal parasites from fertilizing their vegetable garden with dog shit.

I remember having milk and butter delivered to your house was the norm. Carnation, Arden, Knudsen milk trucks buzzing the neighborhood. Grocery stores didn’t stock it then.
Saw a milk man just this morning. White 7 point hat and all.

It’s gone full circle.

Last edited:

Universal Elements

Reaction score

Maybe it talked how everything in the future will be run by computers, everything in our lives would keep changing at a fast rate.

Self driving cars, cameras recording everything, retail stores gone. We become introverted with electronics.

Couldn’t find our pets favorite brand pet food in 20 lb bags at several places so I ordered it late last night and it was just delivered free at 5:01 AM.

The wife ain’t musclefucking 65lb bags of pet food even if ya get 15 lbs free. No place to store it at Crankshaft Manor anyway. Floor jacks take up too much space.

Angie guided me picking out my wife’s Wedding Ring online and I think that was my first big ticket purchase on the net.

Come a long way since.

I remember having milk and butter delivered to your house was a BFD. Grocery stores didn’t stock it then.

It’s gone full circle.

It’s amazing, convenient and time savings. I don’t even go the market any more. Have it delivered for $9 a month (unlimited). The only thing I don’t buy is fruits and vegetables. I go to a farm store near my house. Oh, one good thing, I don’t get charged 10 cents per bag when they deliver. :)

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
I'm old fashioned...still a written shopping list and a drive to the big city for groceries but most everything else is amazon Prime

Taboma

Reaction score

Angie guided me through picking out my wife’s Wedding Ring online and I think that was my first big ticket purchase on the net.

Come a long way since.

I remember as a kid seeing Dr Williams walk up to the neighbors house one morning. A housecall. The Millers picked up internal parasites from fertilizing their vegetable garden with dog shit.

I remember having milk and butter delivered to your house was the norm. Carnation, Arden, Knudsen milk trucks buzzing the neighborhood. Grocery stores didn’t stock it then.

It’s gone full circle.

If that's the case, I sure hope I see or better yet, SMELL, a Helm's Bakery Truck again before my expiration date :D

Taboma

Reaction score
My grandpa worked for them!!
I don't think there's a more beautiful scent in the world, then my recollection of those rear doors being opened and a drawer slid out ---- I mean like damn near 60 years later and it's one of my fondest childhood memories.
Walking into the Donut Post in Lake Havasu and I'm instantly hurled back in time. The only problem with that shop is, I think you need to be there by 7 AM to get any chocolate ones :mad: Who da fuck is eating all their chocolate donuts ??? :confused:

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score
Remember the Dick Tracy Show from the 60's, and his watch.

150309-daly-dick-tracy-tease_k0blhw.jpg

Canuck 1

Midget Hater
Reaction score

Come a long way since.

I remember as a kid seeing Dr Williams walk up to the neighbors house one morning. A housecall. The Millers picked up intestinal parasites from fertilizing their vegetable garden with dog shit.

It’s gone full circle.

Ross....you are obsolete

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
If this is familiar to you there's a good chance that you are "Obsolete" ...or just old.

MV5BZDYwMzM4YzUtZTY0Ny00YjJmLWFiYjctN2E5NTAxMzYzMDE3L2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDgyNjA5MA@@._V1_.jpg

rrrr

Reaction score
The milkman posts brought back good memories for me. He was part of growing up. When I was a small child, I thought there couldn't be a better job than wearing that snappy white uniform and driving a spotless white delivery truck.

When I was a teenager I the early 70s, my sister, four brothers and I were putting away about six gallons of milk every week. The milkman came once a week, and my mom still had to buy more at the store, because there wasn't room in the refrigerator for twelve half gallons of milk. Gallon jugs weren't on the market back then.

The milkman fixed the problem by selling her a refrigerated milk dispenser, which was common in restaurants at the time. It held four three gallon plastic bladders of milk, packaged in cardboard boxes that were dispensed two at a time.

The bladder had a rubber tube that was pulled through an opening in refrigerator, and past a valve that pinched it shut using a large counterweight. My dad built a shelf in the garage for the refrigerator.

Our consumption of milk increased, because our friends thought it was cool we had a milk machine, and they wanted to use it. The milkman liked it too. He got all of the milk sales from our household, instead of just a couple of gallons.

This is an example of how my mom was actually Supermom. There was nothing more important than her six kids, and she worked her butt off running her house. She had an all day housekeeper and nanny three days a week, but there was still a mountain of things to do.

She had to do God knows how many loads of laundry, buy two basket loads of food for meals, cook huge dinners, take care of my two youngest brothers that were ten and twelve years younger than me, drive my next youngest brother to the private school he attended and pick him up, feed the crowds of teenagers that my siblings and I brought home, go to football, baseball, and soccer games, attend my wrestling matches, drive us to Durango to ski at Purgatory six or eight times every winter, and dozens of other things that she did just because she was a great mom.

She's been gone seven years, and I still think about her almost every day.

The milk machine:

495-133.jpg

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
My grandpa worked for them!!

I loved the Helms brownies and the birthday cakes.
I was a Helms Athletic Foundation first teem All Southern California High school football team selection in 1967.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Change is not always good. Every time you are told something will save you time, it means you are going to be charged for not doing it and there's something else you have to do in it's place that you don't want to do. I get so tired of updates, new payment plans for phone, cable, insurance and anything else you use day to day. Tech is not to help you, it's a way to get your money. I now have a TV that has 400 channels with nothing on worth watching. I now have a cell phone that rings at 4 in the morning asking me if I need help with my student loan. It's all coming to an end soon. We will take back our private rights and go back to living life.

Taboma

Reaction score
Change is not always good. Every time you are told something will save you time, it means you are going to be charged for not doing it and there's something else you have to do in it's place that you don't want to do. I get so tired of updates, new payment plans for phone, cable, insurance and anything else you use day to day. Tech is not to help you, it's a way to get your money. I now have a TV that has 400 channels with nothing on worth watching. I now have a cell phone that rings at 4 in the morning asking me if I need help with my student loan. It's all coming to an end soon. We will take back our private rights and go back to living life.

New TVs that require you set up an online account during setup --- "It's all coming to an end soon. We will take back our private rights and go back to living life"

I dunno, there's a couple of generations who don't even understand the basics of living life without the guiding hand of technology (Reaching for your credit card).

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
New TVs that require you set up an online account during setup --- "It's all coming to an end soon. We will take back our private rights and go back to living life"

I dunno, there's a couple of generations who don't even understand the basics of living life without the guiding hand of technology (Reaching for your credit card).

When your, e-mail, social media, insurance, phone, bank, credit card, groceries, mortgage and medical supplies all come from the same web site, the end is near. It's going to be a, your either with us or against us. You're seeing this in most things instead of fair competition.

Taboma

Reaction score
When your, e-mail, social media, insurance, phone, bank, credit card, groceries, mortgage and medical supplies all come from the same web site, the end is near. It's going to be a, your either with us or against us. You're seeing this in most things instead of fair competition.

Yes I agree, but the younger generations aren't fighting it, not even resisting, their arms are thrown wide open "Take Me, Take care of my needs, Nurture me oh great Mother of us all, I have no time for these boring life obligations, I've got texts to send"
I've fought this shit since its inception, but I'm losing (As you stated) alternative choices.
I recall from my church going 1950's youth the sermons about "Taking the number of the Beast". We didn't just take it, we invited it.
With a rapidly declining population of those who can even recall an analog world, who's going to fight the digital Beast ?

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
You guys are old ................
Lol lol lol
I remember all this stuff . Damn time flys by