WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Old tools you still use

caribbean20

Reaction score
Had to shave the top of a door that was binding. Went to the garage and grabbed this relic. Worked perfectly. Thought to myself, holy shit, this tool is over 100 years old. It was my grandfather’s in his old tool box. He was a finish carpenter in the early 1900’s, built these cool Victorian houses in Utica, MI, many of which are still there today. Based on some research, I’m calling the tool 105 years old.

Anybody got that beat?
40A06B84-CCB3-4BCB-A90D-AE8DE6CB7047.jpeg
8FB1B733-1580-40ED-97C1-112819A9DE4E.jpeg

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Had to shave the top of a door that was binding. Went to the garage and grabbed this relic. Worked perfectly. Thought to myself, holy shit, this tool is over 100 years old. It was my grandfather’s in his old tool box. He was a finish carpenter in the early 1900’s, built these cool Victorian houses in Utica, MI, many of which are still there today. Based on some research, I’m calling the tool 105 years old.

Anybody got that beat? View attachment 822516 View attachment 822517
I used to hang doors back in the day,,.. that and a yankee screwdriver...….

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I have an anvil I use pretty frequently. It's a 75# Hay Budden, late 1890's. Other than that, some thirties and forties wrenches. I use a smooth jaw monkey/pipe wrench pretty often. Most of the old stuff gets used because I work on older vehicles.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Back when Harbor Freight really was harbor freight and was a warehouse a block from the docks in Wilmington I bought a 150# air compressor. Paid under $20 I'm sure.
Probably about 1973. Loud as the sledge hammers of hell, real heavy yet labeled "portable."

Still works great. Does Not leak one bit. Holds air for decades between uses.

Wifie still uses one of those old school Krupp Ausrüstung Werks hand mixers with a 20 to one open differential machined gear set on the side of the burled German Red Oak and Nickel crank.

Excellent. You can still jump start a Buick with it.

Last edited:

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
Ive got a 48 year old tool i like to use daily. Fits my hand just right and always puts a smile on my face when the job is done. You could say its my favorite tool. Sorry I dont have any pics, the zoom on my camera doesnt work :D:(:rolleyes::D

SLT Kota

Reaction score
Not as old as some on here but we broke a post whole digger that was my great grandfather's, turns out it was craftsman's so we took it back and got a brand new one for free! The old one was rusted out so it wasn't something that was worth keeping for sentimental reasons.

DC-88

Reaction score
My great grandpa’s . I just got them out the other day to lay out a display case for them . Amazing the work guys could do before all the power tools—-
IMG_1995.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Ive got a 48 year old tool i like to use daily. Fits my hand just right and always puts a smile on my face when the job is done. You could say its my favorite tool. Sorry I dont have any pics, the zoom on my camera doesnt work :D:(:rolleyes::D
Yea, I was waiting for someone to "pop up" with this one. Just glad that you "beat" me to it.....

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Let me go dig a few of those old "tools" out the nightstand.:D

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
I got all my the tools my gramps had. He would make the weirdest shit if he needed something special. I still trip out sometimes when I grab one of his contraptions. He worked at McDonnell Douglas for 30 plus years so if when he needed something "modified" he had the means

sonicss31

Reaction score

I have the exact same one from my grandfather.:D

F.U.IRS

Reaction score

Funny to see this posted. I dug these out to take out ti Havasu this weekend to shave a little off a rim joist. Not sure on the age, but 65 years old min. I would say.
20191205_113340.jpg
20191205_113405.jpg
20191205_113422.jpg

500bbc

Reaction score

I have that same plane from Gramps and a brace and bit made by Winchester, several of his hammers, screw drivers and wrenches.:D
I had some employees working on the house when I wasn't around, one of them got in the garage , into my tool box and took two wood handled, 100 year old screwdrivers out and used them for chisels. Blew them up and no one would cop to it.

Last edited:

Joe mama

Reaction score
Remember back in the day early 80’s company got some black and decker 6v drills for us sparkys. My dad said fuck those things I can whip your ass all day long with my yankee. Lol Funny part is he did.

squeezer

Reaction score

There are great sites for dating Stanley planes. Your lever cap is 1925 or newer (That’s when they started the “Stanley” marking).

I have tools from 4 generations in the garage. Not sure what the oldest would be. Some old planes for sure, I have the anvil my great grandfather used in his blacksmith shop as well as tool boxes of: My Dads, My Grandfather, My Great Grandfather.

squeezer

Reaction score
Some more tool spam...

My user planes:

The gang.jpg

Norris.jpg

Use a tuned infill and everything else seems crude...

N04.jpg

A well set No 4 Stanley is no slouch...

Other old stuff...

A man of many vises.

many_vises.jpg

The Emmert pattern makers vise is likely 1925 or so, the big Wilton is 1942, the baby Wilton is early 60's.

Not many things are more enjoyable than taking a hunk of wood and turning it into something useful only using hand tools. Better than therapy!

Meaney77

Reaction score
Some more tool spam...

My user planes:

View attachment 823001

View attachment 823002

Use a tuned infill and everything else seems crude...

View attachment 823009

A well set No 4 Stanley is no slouch...

Other old stuff...

A man of many vises.

View attachment 823012

The Emmert pattern makers vise is likely 1925 or so, the big Wilton is 1942, the baby Wilton is early 60's.

Not many things are more enjoyable than taking a hunk of wood and turning it into something useful only using hand tools. Better than therapy!
Great tools, but personally really appreciate the tool on 4 wheels in the background!

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
I just looked up what a Yankee screwdriver is and have one from my Dad.

I also was digging around and found an old socket set that has octagon shaft in the ratchet head that pushes through to reverse directions. Used that thing all the time as a kid and forgot I still had it.

buck35

Reaction score
I just looked up what a Yankee screwdriver is and have one from my Dad.

I also was digging around and found an old socket set that has octagon shaft in the ratchet head that pushes through to reverse directions. Used that thing all the time as a kid and forgot I still had it.

I had to look it up as well. My dad had one of that I used to mess with when I was a.kid.

caribbean20

Reaction score
Millennial's will never comprehend any of the pictures in this thread.
Truer words never spoken. Sure applies to my son. No matter how hard I tried to get him interested in car repair, plumbing, home repair, etc., no luck. I guess its just all where your interest lies.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Remember back in the day early 80’s company got some black and decker 6v drills for us sparkys. My dad said fuck those things I can whip your ass all day long with my yankee. Lol Funny part is he did.
My Dad was the same way, man, could he run that thing but he got bit occasionally also. That was 60 years ago!!!

caribbean20

Reaction score
There are great sites for dating Stanley planes. Your lever cap is 1925 or newer (That’s when they started the “Stanley” marking).

I have tools from 4 generations in the garage. Not sure what the oldest would be. Some old planes for sure, I have the anvil my great grandfather used in his blacksmith shop as well as tool boxes of: My Dads, My Grandfather, My Great Grandfather.
. . . and I so badly wanted to argue with you on the date, being its winter, no boating and only bench racing to do. But . . . the fact that there is only one patent date (April 19-10) is the dead give-away upon further research. Begrudgingly, yer right, 1925+ :(

BTW, you have a great collection of tools. I'm a project-oriented kinda person too, nothing like the satisfaction of a job well-done with the right tool. It's what keeps me going in retirement, which is awesome, for all of you young-ens. Get there as fast as you can!

squeezer

Reaction score
. . . and I so badly wanted to argue with you on the date, being its winter, no boating and only bench racing to do. But . . . the fact that there is only one patent date (April 19-10) is the dead give-away upon further research. Begrudgingly, yer right, 1925+ :(

BTW, you have a great collection of tools. I'm a project-oriented kinda person too, nothing like the satisfaction of a job well-done with the right tool. It's what keeps me going in retirement, which is awesome, for all of you young-ens. Get there as fast as you can!

You could easily have a newer lever cap on an older plane... No reason the body isnt as old as you think it is

Last edited: