WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ford vs Ferrari

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
^^^ It would have been cool to go through the development starting with the Cobras, then the Daytona Coupe, and finally the GT40. Like you stated though, the movie can only be so long.

Stopped by Ted Suttons tonight to bs. He showed me this pic of Ken Miles posing for the camera during the first 427 install in a Cobra.

16864109_1230385587011183_2800332955840044188_n.jpg

Wheeler

Reaction score
Who better. ? Shelby himself!!
shook the man's hand twice. Got pix somewhere.

You should here the story of the first time he drove the first 427 Cobra through the streets of Venice. He was not the first one to drive it though.

guest hs

Reaction score
Didn’t understand the first carcame from Europe? Ford didn’t build it???

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Didn’t understand the first carcame from Europe? Ford didn’t build it???
See the video I posted with Carrol telling the story of how the whole deal began.
Post 150

KevinR

Reaction score
What a great photo of the new Cobra. Right hand drive from AC no less.

Seeing the crude straight leaf spring suspension of the day always reminds me how simple those first Cobras were. But note the independent rear end!

Wheeler

Reaction score
Awesome, I didn't know this.

I love the Daytona Coupes. GT40 Mk II and FIA 289 Cobras all just so bitchen. Honestly, my favorite Shelby is the 67 Trans American Series Mustang Coupes. Shelbys are my favorite cars in the world. Well at least up to the 67 coupe. Shelbys got to plush and wussy for me when they started building the gt500s etc, even Shelby said so.

So this car has been for sale for some time for a few hundred thousand. It was actually at the Shelby Museum for a few months in Vegas. At the time I bought a beat 67 that I was going to turn in to a T/A car. The museum let me spend a few hours crawling through this car on my own to get photos, measurements etc so I could duplicate it. After building up about 10k in parts and putting in about four months in to the build, I just kept digging a hole. The car was a complete basket case with too much needed so I sold it. I would like to get another 67 coupe; hopefully one in nicer condition.
These things just look SOOOOO RIGHT!
maxresdefault.jpg

Nothing looks tougher than this.
images

169741aab9ba735393c32f3e1a463a96.jpg

Here's a couple of pix of coupe you might enjoy.

unnamed (16).jpg
unnamed (15).jpg

Wheeler

Reaction score
Yeah boy!!! That yellow 67 coupe is bitchen.
I believe the pix were take at Mid Ohio about 3 years ago. Ted said the suspension on the coupe was pretty trick.

PlanB

Reaction score
I am in a Shelby group on FB, and just realized "Ted" is also a member. Shelby's grandson is also on there. Awesome pics BTW...

Wheeler

Reaction score
I am in a Shelby group on FB, and just realized "Ted" is also a member. Shelby's grandson is also on there. Awesome pics BTW...

I would imagine that Rick Titus and Randy Richardson are also members of that group?

PlanB

Reaction score
I would imagine that Rick Titus and Randy Richardson are also members of that group?

Maybe. I just browse it once in a while. I noticed Ted on there recently though talking about building the Cobra. Lots of knowledge on there (and some cool pics).

sirbob

Reaction score
interesting article with pics of the movie cars - they are for sale... Wonder if these are the same cars pictured earlier in this thread?

ALSO- Falcon fans check out the end of the article.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vi...=email&utm_content=Daily_News_Thursday_Dec_12

Trove of “Ford v Ferrari” movie cars found in southern California

by Grace Houghton //

December 09, 2019
fvf_richardson_gt_p3.ashx

Where do Ford v Ferrari movie cars go when they’ve served their duties on the silver screen? To SoCal, apparently.

Vintage motorsport photojournalist Randy Richardson spotted a treasure trove of star, stunt, and background cars in southern California, all of which appear to have been built for Ford v Ferrari. Most recently, he’s posted pictures of this crashed Mustang, but he’s also found an entire fleet of authentic Ford Falcons and a stash of replica Aston Martins, Ferraris, and Ford GT 40s. (For the record, that’s an intentionallycrashed ’Stang that sacrificed its bodywork for dramatic movie effect.)

fvf_richardson_mustang_2.ashx

fvf_richardson_mustang_3.ashx

fvf_richardson_mustang_1.ashx

Facebook / Randy Richardson
This particular Mustang is in the process of being sold, and we chatted with the car’s buyer, who intends to convert it into a fully functional car and run it in vintage races. Cheers, we say. Although we didn’t receive further information from Richardson, the Mustang’s buyer shared that the Aston Martins have already been snapped up but that the GT 40 replicas are still up for sale. This particular one, Richardson posted, is the one driven by Matt Damon that catches fire in the pits during an early scene of the movie.

fvf_aston_martin_1.ashx

fvf_aston_martin_2.ashx

Most of the cars are fiberglass mock-ups built on entirely unrelated chassis, and some feature only mock, sheet-metal engines. However, the evocative historic bodies are a mix-and-match puzzle for tinkerers. Find a complementary chassis and drivetrain, and you’ve got a piece of movie history and a connection to a great story. This particular #21 Ferrari 330 P3 will fit a chassis from Race Car Replicas, according to one of Richardson’s comments.

fvf_richardson_ferrari_21_headlight.ashx

fvf_richardson_ferrari_21_side.ashx

fvf_richardson_ferrari_21.ashx

Though the “dirty race car” effect is a large part of #21’s charm, there’s a good chance it was simply airbrushed on—it is a movie car, after all, and there probably wasn’t time to wring it around Le Mans. Cue the spray gun.

However, it’s the 20 1962–63 Falcons that received a flood of interested commentators. The cars are “now for sale in various stages of disassembly,” “all six cylinders, some with autos or 3-speeds.” The cars are “to be sold as a package,” and unlike the more curvaceous fiberglass bodies, are equipped with more or less their original drivetrains. “A few are almost complete running cars, with some trim pieces removed for movie scenes,” Richardson’s post reads. Looking for your own brood of restoration-worthy Falcons? Here’s your starter kit.

If you’re in southern California and have caught wind of these stashed movie cars, give us a holler in the comments! If not, have a gander at the gallery, and let us know which car you’d pick and what your plans would be.

1 / 4

Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 2.18.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 2.18.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 2.18.01 PM.png

Last edited:

Wheeler

Reaction score
There are some notable people in these photos. Pink Taco and Henry Ford for starters. :)

PlanB

Reaction score
Cool pics. Some familiar cars and faces. My wife was up at Superformance in Irvine today and took some pics of some of the movie cars. I will have her post them.

KevinR

Reaction score
Tommy Gun thanks so much for the great pictures. Much appreciated!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Finally got to see the movie last night. Very well done. I could definitely go see it again.

The best part for me was the blub at the end. Something about Ford being the only american built car to finish and win at Le Mans?

Something like that anyway...

What ever happened to Ken Miles son?? Anyone know??

PlanB

Reaction score
Finally got to see the movie last night. Very well done. I could definitely go see it again.

The best part for me was the blub at the end. Something about Ford being the only american built car to finish and win at Le Mans?

He was an advisor on the movie, and his family ended up with one of the Cobras that was used.

Wheeler

Reaction score

Peter Miles was at the premier of the movie and has also been to the OVC shop in Gardena. Married with at least one daughter.

Taboma

Reaction score
I gotta ask, why are the tires wrapped in cellophane on the Red # 1 car ? Keep the grass stains off ?

Taboma

Reaction score
Just the opposite actually.
To keep the tire from staining the grass ? In the pics there's cars parked all over the grass, are they all rolled into position, then jacked up to remove the cellophane ?
Only concourse I've attended was at Pelican Hill, Newport Beach, many years ago. Guess they weren't so picky, at least I don't recall seeing them wrapped.
Thanks !!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
To keep the tire from staining the grass ? In the pics there's cars parked all over the grass, are they all rolled into position, then jacked up to remove the cellophane ?
Only concourse I've attended was at Pelican Hill, Newport Beach, many years ago. Guess they weren't so picky, at least I don't recall seeing them wrapped.
Thanks !!

That looks like it's probably Pebble Beach. They are beyond picky at that place.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
The grass is very wet in the morning. Get in the tires and tracks everywhere. Hard to clean.
Very old 1900 era cars had white tires. We used to make boots for the tires, drive them on the lawn then take the boots off so it wouldn't stain the tires green.