WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Travel Trailers?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Long story short I would love to get a 3/4 diesel and a fifth wheel set up but my truck wont change from a half ton anytime soon due to work requirements.
I cant wait to get out of this shit hole of a state and yes I will be leaving all the bullshit behind, unfortunately I have at least 8 years left unless I start playing the lottery and get lucky!
If you still have time on the job, then a smaller trailer is great. I was thinking you were going to be doing some full time stuff pretty soon. For recon and exploration, a smaller tow rig is handy.

satellitemike

Reaction score
I’m Curious. Why don’t you want to retire at the river? That’s most people on here’s dream location
I would totally do Havasu but I would need an escape plan for the dead of summer, still working on a way where we could leave for July and August?
Only downsides to Havasu is limited medical and air transportation, would most likely making 2 hour drive to Vegas for those needs.
I am kinda liking Boulder City, close enough to all the needed amenities but far enough away from the craziness of Vegas.
Maybe Norther Az?
And that is the original reason of this post to be able to go out twice a year to check out possible retirement location for the next few years.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
I would go with a 5th wheel or go with rv and tow the truck.

/\
l
l

This. If you are going to do long trips or live full time, get a 34 foot Moho (min) and tow the truck. If you don’t need the truck, get something else to tow behind. Jeep Wranglers are popular and do great for exploring new areas (including off-road).

satellitemike

Reaction score
/\
l
l

This. If you are going to do long trips or live full time, get a 34 foot Moho (min) and tow the truck. If you don’t need the truck, get something else to tow behind. Jeep Wranglers are popular and do great for exploring new areas (including off-road).
No full time living or prolonged trips in the near future, just weekend stuff near the house in So CA, beach, mountains, deserts, etc... Probably 2 trips a year to check potential final retirement locations in the Southwest.
Would love one of the newer jeeps but don't even come close to fitting in one, 6'7"!

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I would totally do Havasu but I would need an escape plan for the dead of summer, still working on a way where we could leave for July and August?
Only downsides to Havasu is limited medical and air transportation, would most likely making 2 hour drive to Vegas for those needs.
I am kinda liking Boulder City, close enough to all the needed amenities but far enough away from the craziness of Vegas.
Maybe Norther Az?
And that is the original reason of this post to be able to go out twice a year to check out possible retirement location for the next few years.

Yeah that's kind of our plan in a nutshell. Take the Toyhauler to the Sierras or Rocky Mountains and boondock camp in July & August then enjoy the rest of the year in Havasu with some visits to SoCal & Utah mixed in between to see the grandkids. I'm banking on by the time I retire in 7-10 years that Air Transportation will be available in Havasu. If not then I have a reason to do some gambling in Vegas. Win-Win :D Enjoy your retirement!!!

BajaMike

Reaction score
Trust me I would be very happy with a 25' footer but the wife wants room. I don't plan on any guests but I have been over ruled before and probably will be again!

Ok, I understand completely.....I would want to keep the wife happy, otherwise the traveling is not going to be fun. That’s a beautiful travel trailer.....and I might end up with a bigger one than I am thinking.

If I was you, I would want a 3/4 ton crew cab. I think the new 1/2 ton’s are way over rated for towing. Compared to a 3/4 ton, the frames are thinner, the axels are smaller, the brakes are smaller, the engines are smaller, the trans are lighter and the whole trucks are lighter. If you have a trailer a lot lighter than the truck, and the trailer starts to sway, it can pull your truck right off the road. Also that small block engine is going to be working like crazy.

I would also look at the big reputable dealers for a lightly used and warranted trailer, pay a little more but have a place to go if something goes wrong. Mickey Thompson in Cathedral City and Holland RV (right off I-10 near Indio) have a huge selection.

Good luck and keep us posted.

spectras only

Reaction score
The F-150 and F-250 both has the same gauge ] redundant ] boxed frame. The fully boxed frame has eight crossmembers (five through-welded) and is made of up to 78 percent high-strength steel. The F-250 has ten crossmembers to handle the increased HP/TQ of the PSD engine. Of course the 250 and 350 have heavier springs and axle for the extra load capacity. A TT weighing under 1000TW with a max10000 lbs GVW doesn't need more than the F-150 why it's so popular for every day use and the occasional camping trips. If you're a full time camper on the road, then it's a different ball game. Just my useless 0.02% opinion.;)

BajaMike

Reaction score
The F-150 and F-250 both has the same gauge ] redundant ] boxed frame. The fully boxed frame has eight crossmembers (five through-welded) and is made of up to 78 percent high-strength steel. The F-250 has ten crossmembers to handle the increased HP/TQ of the PSD engine. Of course the 250 and 350 have heavier springs and axle for the extra load capacity. A TT weighing under 1000TW with a max10000 lbs GVW doesn't need more than the F-150 why it's so popular for every day use and the occasional camping trips. If you're a full time camper on the road, then it's a different ball game. Just my useless 0.02% opinion.;)

I didn't know the Ford F-150 and F-250 have the same gauge box frame. I don’t think the Chevy 1500 and 2500 have the same. Springs, shocks and axle make a big difference for full time towing. F-150 on short trips without the trailer loaded too heavy with fuel, water and “stuff” would probably work.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
It was a travel trailer. I carried no more than a 1/4 tank of water. Tank had 45gallon capacity.
2000lbs of groceries,clothes and lawn chairs?

buddy had Exact same trailer but aluminum sides and he was low 6,000lbs
I guarantee you pull it onto a certified scale while loaded you'd be quiet surprised.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
That would work for me but my wife wants a couch or chairs as well as the dinette, also wants a separate bedroom. GLWTS!

The dinette converts to a bed but not a couch. Some people have taken those out and put recliners in instead. There is a curtain you draw across for the “bedroom”.

Thanks

Wavemaker

Reaction score
Get a 3/4 ton truck. I wouldn’t pull that big of a trailer with any 1/2 ton.

Do you really want a trailer that big? Are you having a lot of family and friends in the trailer with you?

That’s a lot of weight and size to tow around and get into some parks.

I’m planning on doing the same thing you are and I’m looking at 22’ to 24’ trailers, I won’t have anyone but my girlfriend and I don’t want to have any extra beds for family to tag along. I’ve got a 2500 HD Crew.

I think a lot of people try to get the biggest they can tow instead of what they need. Most of my entertaining will be outside the trailer so an outdoor TV would be nice.

Good luck, love to see what you buy!

For a size of trailer in the original posting above, I recommend a 1- ton 2500 HD Crew Cab with dual wheels/tires and equipped with a “load-leveling, anti-sway heavy duty trailer hitch with the anti-sway bars with a vertically adjustable hitch-head (with a minimum 2” trailer ball). My recommendation is based upon your desired length of trailer, weight capacity (fully loaded), the amount of squire feet per sides and front and rear surfaces. Traveling in strong winds with large surface areas mentioned above will cause trailer swaying. I recommend the dually towing vehicle with dual rear wheels will help stabilize your entire rig when encountering windy conditions. If you add a bed cover or cab high truck bed cap will add more surface area exposure to wind conditions. However, a plus is you can carry items, bicycles, tools, and other desired items in the truck bed area, (maybe add side cabinets, and floor all covered with carpeting to prevent noises from items slipping around while driving, and you can lock the camper shell to secure your items. Another plus is, you can have front and rear seats in the dually cab (bench seating or, buckets in front with console and bench seating for three people on the rear seat. This space is also lockable if some items are stowed beneath under the seats. Just a few thoughts to consider.

kevin1988

Reaction score
My parents bought a TT the same size you are looking at. They asked me to tow it about 10 miles to get some warranty work done. I have a 19 F150 with the max tow package. It was a pucker factor on the freeway. Now granted I didn't have a load leveling hitch/ sway control, but just moving from a stop and trying to slow down was sketchy. My dads 250 pulls it like a dream. I would try to trailer it a few miles with your truck to see if you really want to white knuckle the steering wheel every time you go somewhere.

satellitemike

Reaction score
Just to try and get this back on track, I am looking for travel trailer suggestions in the 27' to 33' length and trying to keep it under 7k lbs, any good suggestions?
I dont mind used if it is in good shape and has most of the upgrades already done, dual/upgraded AC, better insulation, power jacks, etc...

satellitemike

Reaction score

ramos45

Reaction score
Keystone Cougar 28rbswe. this is our first trailer and currently looking to get into a TT toy hauler for the extra usable living space. One thing we like about the Cougar is separate entry directly into the bathroom.

IMG_77791.jpg
IMG_77801.jpg
IMG_77811.jpg

spectras only

Reaction score
If I were looking for a 1/2 Ton towable TT it would likely be a Grand Design. Great Quality & Service! https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2020/travel-trailer/reflection/floorplans
I'd like reminding you, they are all inferior in quality, no matter if its a basic model or a high end, most have the same materials, appliances and questionable crews and manufacturers assembling them. QC is almost unheard of in the TT manufacturing business:eek:. unless you buying a Newell, Marathon level coach.

OP, I'd recommend to get a TT with welded aluminum frame, fiberglass front cap, preferably fiberglass sidewalls vs Filon. Also, Azdel construction would be my next choice of a TT.
Read about Azdel before making your choice of TT,here.https://gotraveltrailers.com/which-travel-trailers-use-azdel/

Last edited:

RodnJen

Reaction score
Maybe Norther Az?

Check out Show Low for the summer months. Great weather there and plenty to do.

spectras only

Reaction score
20160408_145616.jpg
ATTACH=full]823263[/ATTACH]
20160402_083943.jpg
20160408_201902.jpg
See if you can find a Denali as ours. My wife loves it. yours woul'd probably too.;) We have more windows on this unit than any other TT we have looked in the past.
20160402_083445.jpg
20160408_145628.jpg

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I would head out to Quartzsite after the first of the year. There are some good deals on used stuff that the blizzard chickens trade in or just want to move on to something different. My sister got a really good deal on hers when she needed something to live in after her house burned down. I will be going down to look at the end of Feb or march.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Dutchmen, the 5th wheel we just traded in was a dutchmen grand junction. Very solid, zero issues at 10 years old

BajaMike

Reaction score
For a size of trailer in the original posting above, I recommend a 1- ton 2500 HD Crew Cab with dual wheels/tires and equipped with a “load-leveling, anti-sway heavy duty trailer hitch with the anti-sway bars with a vertically adjustable hitch-head (with a minimum 2” trailer ball). My recommendation is based upon your desired length of trailer, weight capacity (fully loaded), the amount of squire feet per sides and front and rear surfaces. Traveling in strong winds with large surface areas mentioned above will cause trailer swaying. I recommend the dually towing vehicle with dual rear wheels will help stabilize your entire rig when encountering windy conditions. If you add a bed cover or cab high truck bed cap will add more surface area exposure to wind conditions. However, a plus is you can carry items, bicycles, tools, and other desired items in the truck bed area, (maybe add side cabinets, and floor all covered with carpeting to prevent noises from items slipping around while driving, and you can lock the camper shell to secure your items. Another plus is, you can have front and rear seats in the dually cab (bench seating or, buckets in front with console and bench seating for three people on the rear seat. This space is also lockable if some items are stowed beneath under the seats. Just a few thoughts to consider.

I agree with everything you said. The dual real wheels will also save your ass if you get a blowout on a rear tire....can you image how a blowout with a big trailer and single rear wheels with all the weight is going to throw around your truck and trailer.

Also I like having the snug top for extra storage and my girlfriend and I often trade off and go back there and sleep on long trips.....that’s why I don’t want a 5th wheel, even though I know the advantages.

spectras only

Reaction score
^^^ " I agree with everything you said."
I'm surprised you've said that.;)
Any travel trailer 24' and over would have a 2 5/16 tongue for 2 5/16 hitch ball.Maybe he meant 2" receiver? Class IV hitch assy recommended for the truck. also.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
427A1E98-5A8D-4DEF-B013-FA85979C3711.png
That 30LBGTQ WITH TWO SLIDES (almost 35’ overall), From GRAND DESIGN is what my FIL bought (the hensley hitch and 1/2 ton hemi dude), can’t open the fridge without putting out the slide. What a joke!

spectras only

Reaction score
View attachment 823540 That 30LBGTQ WITH TWO SLIDES (almost 35’ overall), From GRAND DESIGN is what my FIL bought (the hensley hitch and 1/2 ton hemi dude), can’t open the fridge without putting out the slide. What a joke!
The three way fridges ] 12V/110V and propane] are pretty much obsolete.All newer TT are propane or 110 AC only. Since having the propane on while travelling is illegal for safety reasons, or having a generator on in the truck's bed with cord hanging on the side for 110 V supply for the fridge is also not possible, why care about the fridge while the slides are in? If you want some cool drinks while in a pit stop for gas, a small cooler in the truck bed should suffice.
My 24 Dutchmen Denali had the fridge next to the door, opposite to slide, never cared to use it until set up camp.

Wavemaker

Reaction score
^^^ " I agree with everything you said."
I'm surprised you've said that.;)
Any travel trailer 24' and over would have a 2 5/16 tongue for 2 5/16 hitch ball.Maybe he meant 2" receiver? Class IV hitch assy recommended for the truck. also.

Yes, I did mean a 2” receiver, and 2 5/16” hitch ball. Thanks for catching my error. I was typing faster that my thoughts of the proper set-up. For my Chevy 454 3+3 dually with fuel injection, I carry three separate hitch heads, each with a different hitch ball diameter. I also installed stainless steel headers to increase horsepower. I also added a bigger fluid pan to the turbo hydro trans. I also run a 4:11 positraction differential. Heavy loads equals low fuel mileage. Added a third gas tank. Example: going over Baker Grade to, or from Las Vegas I can see the gas gauge needle swing toward the E. Fuel up in Las Vegas, and top the tank back up in Baker, to be sure I can run all the way to Los Angeles, CA. My hitch set-up is an EAZ-LIFT and was installed at their factory. I also use the spring-bars with the heavier trailers. Check the tire temps and check tire tread wear at the fuel stops. Some highways are rough surfaces, and have some pot holes.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Yes, I did mean a 2” receiver, and 2 5/16” hitch ball. Thanks for catching my error. I was typing faster that my thoughts of the proper set-up. For my Chevy 454 3+3 dually with fuel injection, I carry three separate hitch heads, each with a different hitch ball diameter. I also installed stainless steel headers to increase horsepower. I also added a bigger fluid pan to the turbo hydro trans. I also run a 4:11 positraction differential. Heavy loads equals low fuel mileage. Added a third gas tank. Example: going over Baker Grade to, or from Las Vegas I can see the gas gauge needle swing toward the E. Fuel up in Las Vegas, and top the tank back up in Baker, to be sure I can run all the way to Los Angeles, CA. My hitch set-up is an EAZ-LIFT and was installed at their factory. I also use the spring-bars with the heavier trailers. Check the tire temps and check tire tread wear at the fuel stops. Some highways are rough surfaces, and have some pot holes.
Ahh..... Well that's why you feel that way. You're still towing with 40 year old technology. As cool as those old 3+3's are..... They don't hold a candle to the new trucks. Even the modern half tons beat them in almost every regard.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Ahh..... Well that's why you feel that way. You're still towing with 40 year old technology. As cool as those old 3+3's are..... They don't hold a candle to the new trucks. Even the modern half tons beat them in almost every regard.

this