WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Going on 20 years...anyone longer?

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
In a few months we will have lived in the same house for 20 years.:eek: This is just mind boggling to me.
Before this house the longest I ever lived in one house, including my childhood, was 3 years.

In 2006 we almost bought a huge house overlooking the lake but thank god we didn't because when the economy crashed we would have lost it. Our low monthly payment saved us.

With all that said we are thinking of putting it up for sale. Not sure how I feel about that.

Meaney77

Reaction score
We are in the same boat, I bought my place back in 1998... I have only lived in 2 house- My parents and my current house.

We have gutted and remodeled a few different times and added 2 additional bedrooms. The thought of selling and moving into something bigger with a larger lot goes through our minds constantly until you start talking down payments, monthly payments and property tax. We are good where we are for now...

GRADS

Reaction score
We have gutted and remodeled a few different times and added 2 additional bedrooms. The thought of selling and moving into something bigger with a larger lot goes through our minds constantly until you start talking down payments, monthly payments and property tax. We are good where we are for now...
Our thinking exactly. We're on our 3rd light remodel.:( Our house is 40 years old and it's always something that needs attention or work. We're thinking a brand new house might be nice but then property taxes and payments come into play. Sometimes we think maybe keep this house and buy a vacation place in Tahoe....fuck if I know.
It'll be 36 yrs in January
WOW!:eek:

GRADS

Reaction score
On a side note we paid $185,000 :eek::eek::eek::eek: Can't even get a one bedroom condo for that price now.

GRADS

Reaction score
For you guys that have lived there that long, at what point do you say this is going to be my last house?

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
The Ca house was 22 years when I sold it, I have owned my havasu for 21 years

LuauLounge

Reaction score
We bought ours 33 years ago. We were looking to build, but where we wanted lots were $100k+ and pools were 25k. So, in the area we wanted, we got a 4 bedroom, 3 bath house with a pool for the same cost as a lot and pool. A few redos over the years and we will be selling sometime next year. In the late 90's, we were thinking of building the "place", but we looked at "for what" and stayed put. Our short term neighbors have been here 20+ years, including the renters. Area was developed in the 70's and a ton of original owners. Bought a place in Vegas this summer and will be moving there. Current plan is winters in Vegas and summers in the Sac Delta. Allegiant flies direct from Stockton to Vegas for $100 round trip per person, so getting back and forth for shorter stays is no big deal.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
20 years this month. Bought in dec of 99. Time flies.

what’s funnier is we only have our 16 yo living with us ( other 2 moved out) but I swear we have more shit now then we ever had. Doesn’t make sense we have the least amount of people at home and most crap in my garage. :confused:

Last edited:

Meaney77

Reaction score
For you guys that have lived there that long, at what point do you say this is going to be my last house?

The thought of being in my mid 40’s and starting a new 30 year mortgage makes me cringe, couldn’t imaging being mid 70’s and finally having the house paid off.

I’m at a point that I think I will always have my current place. If my wife and I ever decide to relocate my daughters will have a starter house.

BUSTI

Reaction score
Well, I just bought a new construction home in AZ and am moving in on the 17th of January. Relocating from California. Hopefully I make 20 years in it as I never want to move again. I think the longes has been 7 years in one place including childhood. I forgot what a pain in the ass it is to move but it will make you purge junk.

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
1 home 17 years, another 13. This last one 4 years and the sign goes in the yard next week. Married 42 years some rentals in between.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Purchased mine Just before Christmas '83, moved in January 84.
Moved out for about 5 months during divorce. Been here since.
Thought about bigger/better thousands of times but the area is nice and I never wanted to put myself in a "house poor" position. This place worked for our size family it just was/isn't baller like new homes. Then as my oldest moved out it became clear that more house was not what we needed. Now we're empty nesters without a mortgage over our heads.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I lived in 10 houses by the time I was 19 years old (my Parents liked to move I guess. LOL )

I have lived in 18 houses total (that includes 6 in college).

I have been in my current home for almost 18 years. I lived two houses away for 5 years prior.

I will stay here until I can move to the AZ.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Three owned.
First was in Lakewood from 86-2000. Paid $105k for it, sold it for $265k.
Second was in La Palma from 2000-2013. Paid $282k, sold it forn$645k.
Currently in Buean Park since 2013 and, paid too much but up about $200K from purchase price.
Have another home in Lakewood that is paid for.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
We are in our 4th house. I think this is the longest, at 7 years. The house isn't our "dream house", but it's in the area we want, and the property we want. The rest will come with time. I hope to still be here in 20. This was a major goal, but not the end of the game.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
Married in 1994. 15 months in an apartment, then bought 1440 sq ft 3/2 in 1996. Stayed 20 yrs and paid it off in 15. Moved into an old Victorian with a plan of fixing it up and flipping it in a 4-6 year plan. So far so good.
The NEXT move will be finding a place to retire most likely outside of California.

Meaney77

Reaction score
My wife and I currently have a rental property not to far from where we live now. Luckily we have had no problems keeping it rented and we make a little extra money each month and have some tax breaks. But when you look at the numbers at the end of the year we are in the negative do to repairs and whatever else comes our way. I have always thought we would keep it and rent it out until it’s paid for- maybe have a starter home for one of the kids up until recently.
Wife and I are kicking around the idea of selling it now since the market is good. Not sure if it makes sense to continue to rent it and deal with the repairs and cost or sell it and cut our loses and put the money into an account or reinvest in something else.

78Southwind

Reaction score
I owned the first house for 13 years (but rented it to a family while I was going to college) and owned my current house for 16 years. I will probably sell the current house after I turn 55 and transfer the tax rate to the new house. Hopefully, I will find a new construction single story when I sell the current home.

River Dirt 2

Brummett 21
Reaction score
32 years, did a down to the studs complete remodel in 2008. Moved out for a year to do the remodel.
Best thing we have ever done, love the place. And minimal tax base change

GRADS

Reaction score
I will probably sell the current house after I turn 55 and transfer the tax rate to the new house. Hopefully, I will find a new construction single story when I sell the current home.
Please elaborate on this. Transferable tax rate at 55??

thetub

Reaction score
I owned the first house for 13 years (but rented it to a family while I was going to college) and owned my current house for 16 years. I will probably sell the current house after I turn 55 and transfer the tax rate to the new house. Hopefully, I will find a new construction single story when I sell the current home.

i might be wrong , but the liberal idiots have now gotten rid of this tax exemption of over 55 rule. Better do it before January 2020 as its a new law people voted on last
election.

And Grads dont complain you should happily pay higher property taxes as this is what yore God Newsome wants you to do.

you should cut a check for the actual value of yore home if you are a true liberal puke as you say you are...

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Musical houses do one thing. Create false ceilings. When the ceiling collapses it hits the floor and two times in my life I have witnessed it knocking them down.
Who were the winners, mostly the banks/mortgage companies at the taxpayers expense.

Cool to all that tried to break the cycle. I do understand a growing family and buying /building a new home though.

KevinR

Reaction score
We are closing in on 30 years.

House was new at the time. Raised our 4 kids. Now the wife, me and the cat.

Probably will move once more and pull out the equity.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
35 years in the same house. The lower property taxes will keep us there forever. If we moved the taxes alone are a deal breaker.

Kind of sounds my dad. He bought in 1975. He’s retired and as tired as I am with CA politics but he’s having a hard time giving up his prop 13 exemption. Must be nice.

bonesfab

Reaction score
Lived in my parents home 25 years. Been in my place for 19. Don’t plan on moving.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I have lived in the same house for 38 Years and married to the same Wife for 38 years, Two Kids, two Dogs, three cats, six Chickens, Two Cocktails birds.

78Southwind

Reaction score
i believe prop. 5 that was just voted on and passed Fu-ked the 55 and olders,,,

the big D party that claims to be for the elders just fu-ked them in the ass without KY...

la.curbed.com › proposition-5-california-election-results-defeat

Proposition 5: Voters say no to California property tax ...

I am pretty sure Prop 5 was about removing the one-time only clause and allowing the 55+ buyer to shop around all the counties across California. Where current Prop 60 allows for the transfer within the same county and Prop 90 allows for transfer outside the current county as long as the new county has authorized such transfer.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure Prop 5 was about removing the one-time only clause and allowing the 55+ buyer to shop around all the counties across California. Where current Prop 60 allows for the transfer within the same county and Prop 90 allows for transfer outside the current county as long as the new county has authorized such transfer.
There you go...

thetub

Reaction score

yore right and also if passed prop. 5 would have let seniors transfer their lower values more than once(multiple times) and do it on any home no matter what value.

ktla.com › 2018/11/07 › prop-5-california-rejects-measure-to-expand...

Prop 5: California Rejects Measure to Expand Property Tax ...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...for-seniors/&usg=AOvVaw0SAlJyivUOKLPbwK45tVUw

rrrr

Reaction score
We've been in our house 22 years. It was built in 1977. We spent about $100K and two years gutting it and rebuilding. When we bought the house, it had features like gold appliances and bathtubs, orange miniblinds, velour wallpaper, and big wood faux beams. The doors and trim were stained dark brown. It was all still intact from the Brady Bunch era. :eek:

Right now we are doing a second remodel, updating architectural details and some new finishes, it'll probably cost around $60K. We might redo the pool again, last rework was in 2010.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...My parents paid 10 grand for my house...it is now worth about $536K

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
I'm a California refugee now living in Arizona for the past 3 years. Never owned a home more than 6 years before. Mortgage now is $1,100 per month, big house, I got rocks in the yard, no watering or gardner, no longer a slave to the cost of living. Street legal canam XRS i can take offroading from my house. Shoot guns with STANDARD capacity mags or in CA know as high-capacity mags. Neighbors are all cool and do the same stuff. Track home, new development, no riff raff. And the neighborhood wives seem to all get along well. Have a feeling I'll stay in this home for a long time.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
25 years in Crankshaft Manor.
114 original homes in the neighborhood maybe only 20 original owners left.

Paid off the mortgage. Property tax about $3K a year.

sprintcvx

Reaction score
We bought in '93 and we've refinanced once I believe. Not payed off yet but getting close.;)

Wayn-o

Reaction score
In a few months we will have lived in the same house for 20 years.:eek: This is just mind boggling to me.
Before this house the longest I ever lived in one house, including my childhood, was 3 years.

In 2006 we almost bought a huge house overlooking the lake but thank god we didn't because when the economy crashed we would have lost it. Our low monthly payment saved us.

With all that said we are thinking of putting it up for sale. Not sure how I feel about that.

Bought mine in Capo beach in 1996. My parents are still in their same house since before me circa 1963 in Dana Point.

SixD9R

Reaction score
Built my own home- started in 96 and moved in, in 97 and have been there ever since. I can't say whether it will be my last home or not. When I retire in 8-10 years we may relocate from Pa to Florida.

If I stay here in retirement I would finally be able to do some of the upgrades to the property than I've been longing to do. It's 4 acres of mostly woods and has a lot of potential with some time and money.

calkid

Reaction score
We built the California house almost 32 years ago, second house that we've owned. We're on our third "part time" Havasu house. We will always have two houses, thinking of selling the one in Ca and replacing it with one in Sedona.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
We lived at our Temecula home 19 years, then built the Havasu Oasis and only lived in it for 20 months lol. Hopefully we love and stay in our Corona De Tucson home for a while.

It'll be 36 yrs in January
Dang, It was pretty fun at the beginning when we were bachelors.

Last edited:

PlanB

Reaction score
Over 20 in SoCal house and coming up on 20 in our Havasu house.