WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

When you go out in the garage at 4:30 AM...

rrrr

Reaction score
...This isn't something you want to see. :eek:

Fonda and I got up at 3:30 this morning. She had to catch a 5:45 flight on Southwest to Miami to go on a 10 day cruise with a friend from St Louis. The friend is meeting her at the airport in Miami and they're taking a shuttle to the cruise ship terminal. I made breakfast and helped her pack a couple of last minute items while she took a shower. We were both in and out of the garage several times.

Her Uber ride showed up, and she left. No more than 10 minutes since the last time, I went out in the garage again to get a Diet Coke from the refrigerator, and stepped in a puddle. The water heater was blowing out water at a healthy rate. I grabbed a step stool and shut off the inlet valve, and the hissing slowed down and stopped. It couldn't have been leaking for more than a minute or two.

49182316766_21b0c251b0_c.jpg

The plumbing supply house I use is open until noon today, so I'm about to shower and head that way. The bathrooms are fed from a different water heater, so I don't have to take a cold one. The expense isn't too onerous, I think a 50 gallon Bradford White is about $450.00. Maybe while I'm working on the plumbing, I'll patch the hole I cut in the drywall two years ago while replacing the shutoff valve for the kitchen refrigerator ice maker.

In one of those coincidences that I'm sure caused the leak, two days ago I was wondering how old the water heater is, and an inspection of the label revealed a January 1993 date. :rolleyes:

I guess it's a good thing we were awake when it happened. On a normal Saturday we sleep in, and the flood could have been much worse.

sirbob

Reaction score
Is that door going into the huse? Or possibly a closet.

I'm used to seeing a step into the house from the garage - it looks like water would go right under that door?

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

Fonda and I got up at 3:30 this morning. She had to catch a 5:45 flight on Southwest to Miami to go on a 10 day cruise with a friend from St Louis. The friend is meeting her at the airport in Miami and they're taking a shuttle to the cruise ship terminal. I made breakfast and helped her pack a couple of last minute items while she took a shower. We were both in and out of the garage several times.

Her Uber ride showed up, and she left. No more than 10 minutes since the last time, I went out in the garage again to get a Diet Coke from the refrigerator, and stepped in a puddle. The water heater was blowing out water at a healthy rate. I grabbed a step stool and shut off the inlet valve, and the hissing slowed down and stopped. It couldn't have been leaking for more than a minute or two.

The plumbing supply house I use is open until noon today, so I'm about to shower and head that way. The bathrooms are fed from a different water heater, so I don't have to take a cold one. The expense isn't too onerous, I think a 50 gallon Bradford White is about $450.00. Maybe while I'm working on the plumbing, I'll patch the hole I cut in the drywall two years ago while replacing the shutoff valve for the kitchen refrigerator ice maker.

In one of those coincidences that I'm sure caused the leak, two days ago I was wondering how old the water heater is, and an inspection of the label revealed a January 1993 date. :rolleyes:

I guess it's a good thing we were awake when it happened. On a normal Saturday we sleep in, and the flood could have been much worse.
Can't tell ya how many times something has failed right after I wondered about it. I do my best not to do that.......o_O

getoffmylawn

Reaction score
We switched over to tankless, on-demand systems. No more worries...........

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
That's amazing timing to catch it that early

Our last home had a Rheem 50 Gallon that was 19 years old and still chugging when we sold the house.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Fly to Miami on the day the cruise starts...... no way no how... ALWAYS ALWAYS at least one day in advance.

With all the potential flight delays....:eek:

I have friends who had a flight from Orange County to Seattle the morning of an afternoon cruise, they left OC only to get diverted to San Jose I believe.... warning light had come on.

Delay caused them to
miss the ship ?? NO PISS POOR PLANNING..... ..... not trying to blame the victims... but you have to have some preplanning for delays ....

I love cruising, and don’t want to miss the ship....
no
Plan
Is
100%

But I try :D

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I'm fortunate in that in both of my houses, the water heaters are outside on slabs in enclosures...if they leak or blow up, the grass gets a bit of extra water.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I replaced mine a couple months back. It’s one of those things where you know it’s been ten years plus and any day that fucker could leak. We came home. Water was in the hallway. I shut the water off. Had it out in about 20 minutes. Went to Ace. Bought a new one. Installed it in about 15/20 minutes, and we were back in business. Lol. Mine has flex lines on the end of the copper pipe. I bought new flex lines. There’s a 220 plug in that closet. It takes literally 2 minutes to wire the cord on then plug it in. lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
After going through the same twice in 2 years I finally installed a catch tray and drain line. Flooded garages suck.

getoffmylawn

Reaction score
Almost 20 years, problem-free. I’ll take that over the 7-10 yr surprises and water damage.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score

You had a water heater last 26 years? That thing needs to go straight to the Smithsonian!:eek:

NicPaus

Reaction score
You had a water heater last 26 years? That thing needs to go straight to the Smithsonian!:eek:
They were made better then. My Moms I have changed the supply lines 3 times. It's a 93 also if I recall. I have removed a few that were older and worked fine. On the plumbing page on FB I have seen some 50 years old the only issue with them is they are full of sediment and run out of hot quickly.

rrrr

Reaction score
Fly to Miami on the day the cruise starts...... no way no how... ALWAYS ALWAYS at least one day in advance.

With all the potential flight delays....:eek:

I have friends who had a flight from Orange County to Seattle the morning of an afternoon cruise, they left OC only to get diverted to San Jose I believe.... warning light had come on.

Delay caused them to
miss the ship ?? NO PISS POOR PLANNING..... ..... not trying to blame the victims... but you have to have some preplanning for delays ....

I love cruising, and don’t want to miss the ship....
no
Plan
Is
100%

But I try :D

She said next time that's what they're going to do.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Mine is somewhere in that same age bracket. Not sure when its going to let go but I feel it has served its time...

rush1

Reaction score
I just replaced mine from 1995 last week ,it ws the last original water heater in my track .I have no complaints I was on borrowed time with it lol

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Just went out and checked mine as I have not had hot water for two days turned the gas off ...didn’t seem to be a big puddle from the water heater... so I just guess the wind in the rain blew it out???... I will find out when the rain water on the ground evaporate...

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
mine is having a random drip from the plastic drain valve. im too lazy to do anything about it so I've just tossed a bucket under it for now. if it fills the bucket ill go buy a new one. its got "2001" written on it. 18 years...

NicPaus

Reaction score
mine is having a random drip from the plastic drain valve. im too lazy to do anything about it so I've just tossed a bucket under it for now. if it fills the bucket ill go buy a new one. its got "2001" written on it. 18 years...
Throw a cap on it. It's only a drain.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Just do the math.
$500 w/h makes it 10 years. 10X12 = 120
$500/120= 4 bucks a month for hot water vs thousands in damage.
Never saw a successful claim to a water heater company to pay damages when the unit failed.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I'm fortunate in that in both of my houses, the water heaters are outside on slabs in enclosures...if they leak or blow up, the grass gets a bit of extra water.

I hated the water heater placement in my houses in AZ, inside the garage in both houses.

My current house has the heater in the basement, about 18 inches from a French drain. Old owners put in a new one right before closing, I'm good for another few years.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Works well...as in it actually stopped flooding at your house?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It closes the valve every night to do a pressure check. Said I had a small leak few weeks back. I had a drip in the kids bathroom faucet. Replaced the gasket and no alert. Second small drip alert this week and I found the dogs self water attachment was dripping. Wife had hose on full blast to water tree, doing a load of clothes, and kid was taking a shower (all at same time) gave me an app alert as well as a phone call to check for large volume of water. If I didn't respond it would shut down water automatically.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
It closes the valve every night to do a pressure check. Said I had a small leak few weeks back. I had a drip in the kids bathroom faucet. Replaced the gasket and no alert. Second small drip alert this week and I found the dogs self water attachment was dripping. Wife had hose on full blast to water tree, doing a load of clothes, and kid was taking a shower (all at same time) gave me an app alert as well as a phone call to check for large volume of water. If I didn't respond it would shut down water automatically.

That’s awesome!
Not the leaks, but the alerts [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rrrr

Reaction score
https://www.moen.com/flo

I installed one of these few months ago. So far it works well. Also like the ability to remotely shut off the water to the house.

Thanks for the link. Our other water heater is in the attic. I need to install one of those valves, and I've been procrastinating.

Two years ago, the hot water side system expansion tank bladder ruptured, unbeknownst to me. Because the water heater is subjected to the 120 degree summer attic temperature and the recirculating pump makes the entire hot side that temperature, the expansion tank performs a critical function. It keeps the system pressure around 55-60 PSI.

When the bladder ruptured, it eventually allowed the pressure to exceed the limit of the T & P valve, and it suddenly opened up full tilt. The T & P valve piping was routed into the overflow pan (now it's piped directly outside), and it overwhelmed the drain line from the pan.

Suddenly it was raining in our spare bedroom. Fortunately I was able to stop the water flow quickly, and the ceiling didn't come down. But I had to replace the carpet and repaint the walls and ceiling.

I'm playing Russian roulette, because there's the possibility of another incident. If something happens with the piping, the expansion tank, the recirculating pump, or the water heater, and I'm not home, it's gonna be ugly.

So I'm going to install an automatic valve, and hopefully prevent anymore excitement. Thanks again for the link, it's motivated me to fix the problem.

You can see the expansion tank, recirc pump, T & P valve and all the associated piping in this photo.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
https://www.getguardian.com/

I looked into this but like the fact the Flo works on pressure rather than water detection. The Flo learns your habits for a week before going live to know your system and habits. Also shows the amount of water used. They have a pay feature that unlocks of the features but all I care about is turning itself off if it senses a dramatic change in water use.

Deckin Around

Reaction score

Fonda and I got up at 3:30 this morning. She had to catch a 5:45 flight,... I went out in the garage again to get a Diet Coke from the refrigerator, .

what are you doing drinking Diet Coke at 5am?:D

Hypnautic

Reaction score
I’m replacing 4 toilets currently because we had a tank break at 1:30am on Saturday (Friday night). Thank goodness we were still up and able to stop the water.
Crazy that the tank just broke.
I need to get this now.

rrrr

Reaction score
I’m replacing 4 toilets currently because we had a tank break at 1:30am on Saturday (Friday night). Thank goodness we were still up and able to stop the water.
Crazy that the tank just broke.
I need to get this now.

Nothing good happens with plumbing after midnight.