WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Fall firewood splitting party

SixD9R

Reaction score
Hello,
I thought you guys (and gals) would appreciate this.
I've been burning wood for supplemental heat for 20+ years now. I have always split wood by hand or rented a hydraulic log splitter. About 5 years ago I met some new friends that are bothers and one of them owns a splitter. After getting to know them a little better a threw out a hint that if he ever wants to loan out that splitter I knew someone that would be happy to borrow it. The brothers immediately offered to bring it to my place and help me split some wood. I couldn't turn down that offer so we set a date. Of course I had some food and beer ready for them but I was upstaged on the beer big time. The 2 guys showed up with a huge cooler packed with 2 cases of beer on ice and got to work splitting wood. They kicked ass splitting and also on the beer as well. They pretty much wouldn't even let me help with the work. Out of the 2 cases they started with there wasn't a 6 pack left when they done splitting and I only had a few. This has been going on like this for about 5 years now and it's always a blast watching these guys work and get totally smashed. They only thing that has changed is I now buy the beer instead of them bringing their own. The brother that owns the splitter works a lot of Saturday mornings now so most of the time we don't get started splitting until early afternoon. One year we were out there until midnight in the rain splitting wood with the spot lights on. It wasn't until I finally said "we are done" and shutdown the splitter that they agreed to quit even though there was more wood left yet. We usually do this in November so it's not exactly balmy weather here in Pa.

Here's some pics of this years party. We were out there until 11:00 pm this year again. One of the brother is doing the keto diet so he isn't drinking beer right now, only whiskey. So I bought him a fifth of his favorite and not only did he finish that he also drank about 1/2 of another fifth I had on hand.

IMG_001.jpg

IMG_002.jpg

The kids always play nice while the men are working.

IMG_003.jpg

The wife and I feed the crew well.
IMG_004.JPG

The end result (photo taken the following day)
IMG_005.jpg

This will be next years wood. I've been lucky lately that I've had plenty of wood so that I can cut and split a year ahead of time. I know some of you are probably thinking that drinking and splitting wood is probably not the smartest idea in the world but....

4Waters

Reaction score
Hello,
I've been burning wood for supplemental heat for 20+ years now. I have always split wood by hand or rented a hydraulic log splitter. About 5 years ago I met some new friends that are bothers and one of them owns a splitter. After getting to know them a little better a threw out a hint that if he ever wants to loan out that splitter I knew someone that would be happy to borrow it. The brothers immediately offered to bring it to my place and help me split some wood. I couldn't turn down that offer so we set a date. Of course I had some food and beer ready for them but I was upstaged on the beer big time. The 2 guys showed up with a huge cooler packed with 2 cases of beer on ice and got to work splitting wood. They kicked ass splitting and also on the beer as well. They pretty much wouldn't even let me help with the work. Out of the 2 cases they started with there wasn't a 6 pack left when they done splitting and I only had a few. This has been going on like this for about 5 years now and it's always a blast watching these guys work and get totally smashed. They only thing that has changed is I now buy the beer instead of them bringing their own. The brother that owns the splitter works a lot of Saturday mornings now so most of the time we don't get started splitting until early afternoon. One year we were out there until midnight in the rain splitting wood with the spot lights on. It wasn't until I finally said "we are done" and shutdown the splitter that they agreed to quit even though there was more wood left yet. We usually do this in November so it's not exactly balmy weather here in Pa.

Here's some pics of this years party. We were out there until 11:00 pm this year again. One of the brother is doing the keto diet so he isn't drinking beer right now, only whiskey. So I bought him a fifth of his favorite and not only did he finish that he also drank about 1/2 of another fifth I had on hand.

View attachment 823312

View attachment 823313

View attachment 823314

View attachment 823315

View attachment 823317
This will be next years wood. I've been lucky lately that I've had plenty of wood so that I can cut and split a year ahead of time. I know some of you are probably thinking that drinking and splitting wood is probably not the smartest idea in the world but....
The people on this forum aren't known for the best decision making skills (we all bought boats) but we do have great "hold my beer" skills. :D

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Hello,

View attachment 823312

View attachment 823313

View attachment 823314

View attachment 823315

View attachment 823317
Being SoCal born and raised and then moving to The Oregon Coast it was all fun and games splitting and stacking 4-6 chords over the summer while working on boats and then the newness and "this is great" wore off and then the last 10 years 'This SUCKS" stepped in.
One of questions Michelle (realtor) asked when we first started looking at homes here in Havasu was if we wanted a fireplace, it was a resounding NO from the both of us. For the wife, it was the mess, for me it was the fricking work. Now I just have to figure out this damn digital t-stat.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Wow, what a great deal! Nice stack of wood. What kind of wood is it? Did you cut all the wood.....that’s a lot of work too.

SixD9R

Reaction score
E004081B-779E-4806-9324-74D9674CC9D9.jpeg
Thanks for all the replies!
The wood is a mixture of whatever I can get. Mostly oak, black birch and some softer woods. The big log the guys were working on in the one pic was from a tree that fell into a buddies yard from his neighbors. It was a standing dead tree of some sort of hardwood but I’m not sure what kind. I never cut down trees just for firewood. I keep pretty much everyone I know informed that I’ll take any trees or wood they need to get rid of. On my property I have a lot of red oak but also black birch, popular, and some sassafras which is a soft wood. I have 4 acres of mostly woods and usually have a tree or 2 die or come down every year. I love cutting wood and splitting but stacking is the only part I’m not into.
Here’s a pic of the fruits of the labor.

endobear

Reaction score
I've been burning wood to give my furnace a break for 20 years. Bout 2-3 cords a year. Wood was my only source of heat for about 5 years before that.
In high school, my dad had a huge wood burning furnace deal that was my responsibility from cutting/hauling to cleaning out the chimney. 3-6 cords a year.
Never used a splitter. Mostly pine, fir and some oak. All with a maul. I used to enjoy the workout but I'm so sick of it now.. I think its time to buy a splitter and teach the kids to use it....

I have a buddy that did tree work and firewood for many years that swears its faster to split by hand. 2 to 1.
Was also in his teens early 20s when he was doing it for a living.
He is about 145lbs wet and in his early 50s now and can still split wood like a beast to this day.

One2go

Reaction score
That's very cool ! Got tired of paying 400 a cord for mix wood that pops like crazy, so bought a splitter years ago.Have couple tree guys that will call me when there taking down a oak or eucalyptus and they will dump the big wood at my yard.

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
B59F1D86-388F-4820-A896-F0DE399E3485.jpeg
255515C3-3B48-407E-8FBB-BF34A2B6B8A3.jpeg
4A0C85B2-CAC7-4134-891B-9BFE13F3F245.jpeg
1E8D5FB2-9880-49E6-86C4-71B30DAC658C.jpeg
CF5DA4B4-9AB9-47B8-9797-466AF4EC792E.jpeg
CF5DA4B4-9AB9-47B8-9797-466AF4EC792E.jpeg
Head on over year and I’ll supply all the booze and food. I’m just a one man show with an ax and should yield 15 cords split for our winter camping season. Lots and lots of rum to do the job.

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
I need to get a splitter. Closest place to rent one is in Temecula and they are always books out.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
No splitting here as one of our customers has a 400 acre walnut farm just out of Sacramento. When we send him product we also send empty 4x4x5' tall gaylords (big ass boxes) and he in turn sends them back full of split walnut as he has to replace a certain amount of tree's every year due to age or termites.
Pretty sweet deal...