WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

LET US NEVER FORGET!!

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
This day, a day that will live in infamy.
6BADF292-A341-49D3-8C08-20AF14B7D6BB.jpeg

4Waters

Reaction score
No sir, I'll never forget the day Japan screwed up. RIP to all those lost on that fateful day.

My wife and I spent our honeymoon in Oahu, while we weren't necessarily there for sightseeing I felt I had to go to Pearl Harbor and pay respect. Standing there above the USS Arizona was very moving.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
My parents were newly married and living in S Central LA when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor. They told me the majority of the So Cal residents felt that Japan would immediately proceed on to the US west coast. My Dad enlisted in the Navy shortly after Pearl Harbor, leaving my Mom and not yet 1 year older brother behind. Special people, special times and somewhat surprisingly the same country. Not sure how the present US population would respond to a similar situation.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I dont remember exactly what the Japanese military leaders said verbatim but it was something like " we just waked a sleeping giant"

It was Adm. Yamamoto, the architect behind the entire Pearl Harbor attack. He was historically against going to war with America and fought it for many years. Ironically when he saw there was no other option as he was the minority, he made sure it was his battle plan that was used. Even with success at Pearl Harbor, he still only saw a 50/50 chance that Japan would come out on top at the end of the war, and actually considered Pearl Harbor to be a failure as they didnt get the aircraft carriers. He was a loner amongst the Japanese naval leadership at the time in believing that the aircraft carriers were the most important targets and the way of the future of naval warfare.

My 2 Bengals are named Chester and Halsey, and my Formula will be getting named "Dread Not." I also own a pair of operational type99 and type38 Arisaka's with in tact "Mum's" if that says anything about me.

Last edited:

Runs2rch

Reaction score
The Arizona would have been in San Francisco if not for an accident in training where the Oklahoma hit it. Repairs were completed and they would have been leaving on the 9th If I remember right.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
It was Adm. Yamamoto, the architect behind the entire Pearl Harbor attack. He was historically against going to war with America and fought it for many years. Ironically when he saw there was no other option as he was the minority, he made sure it was his battle plan that was used. Even with success at Pearl Harbor, he still only saw a 50/50 chance that Japan would come out on top at the end of the war, and actually considered Pearl Harbor to be a failure as they didnt get the aircraft carriers. He was a loner amongst the Japanese naval leadership at the time in believing that the aircraft carriers were the most important targets and the way of the future of naval warfare.

My 2 Bengals are named Chester and Halsey, and my Formula will be getting named "Dread Not." I also own a pair of operational type99 and type38 Arisaka's with in fact "Mum's" if that says anything about me.

Carriers were out on an exercise right?

PlanB

Reaction score

My 2 Bengals are named Chester and Halsey, and my Formula will be getting named "Dread Not." I also own a pair of operational type99 and type38 Arisaka's with in fact "Mum's" if that says anything about me.

I have two Arisaka’s. One with and one without an intact “Mum”. Intact Mum’s are fairly rare.

wzuber

Reaction score
My parents were newly married and living in S Central LA when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor. They told me the majority of the So Cal residents felt that Japan would immediately proceed on to the US west coast. My Dad enlisted in the Navy shortly after Pearl Harbor, leaving my Mom and not yet 1 year older brother behind. Special people, special times and somewhat surprisingly the same country. Not sure how the present US population would respond to a similar situation.
I would imagine it would go by the same way President Trump was elected to office with middle America stepping up the lions share and the best of the best on the coasts jumping in too.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Carriers were out on an exercise right?

There's lots of speculation and debate about this, and why the soooooo much of the fleet was physically in one place (docked in P.H.) and at such a low state of readiness.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Whenever we had a Pearl Harbor port call we were always docked directly across from the Arizona. Pretty amazing and emotional to walk out on our bridge wing to enjoy a sunrise cup of coffee, look down at the water and see the tiny globlets of oil/fuel still rising to the surface from the Arizona.

Last edited:

franky

Reaction score
It was a kick to see the B-25's stacked up on the deck of that carrier in the movie.

My Dad and my son, who was 14 at the time, went to a Doolittle Raiders reunion dinner May 12, 2001. He had a 50th anniversary edition copy of the book Doolittle Raid and had it signed by the author. He then went darted around the banquet room and had 11 of the 12 remaining Doolittle Raiders sign it. Each signature had a number next to it indicating the crew they were on.

There were originally 80 men (5 men per each of the 16 planes), 77 survived the mission. The last of the Raiders died earlier this year. I have kept the book safe for him.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Wife and I did the Oahu honeymoon deal. My only request, being a history dork, was to go to Pearl Harbor. First day, then anything she wanted to do after.

For those that haven't, it is a very powerful place. I have no real way to explain it. Maybe it's the history, or the souls of those lost...a feeling you don't get very much, for people you never met or knew. So far, in my life, only two other places like this since. One was the reflecting pool at the Oklahoma City memorial, the other was the battle fields at Gettysburg.

History has proven we have strong will as a country. Sometimes misguided, but a great deal of strength when needed.

franky

Reaction score
Wife and I did the Oahu honeymoon deal. My only request, being a history dork, was to go to Pearl Harbor. First day, then anything she wanted to do after.

For those that haven't, it is a very powerful place. I have no real way to explain it. Maybe it's the history, or the souls of those lost...a feeling you don't get very much, for people you never met or knew. So far, in my life, only two other places like this since. One was the reflecting pool at the Oklahoma City memorial, the other was the battle fields at Gettysburg.

History has proven we have strong will as a country. Sometimes misguided, but a great deal of strength when needed.
I remember going to the visitor center at Gettysburg and having a docent get in the car and drive us around stopping at various places in the historical battlefield. We would get out of the car and they would point at monuments and such and then start describing what went on. Their descriptions of what happened down in that valley or on that hill lets you imagine a line of brothers, cousins, neighbors shoulder to shoulder advancing and shooting, reload, get hit, fall or advance and keep doing it....unbelievable experience. You can totally imagine it. One of our favorite trips (stops) with the kids. There is so much history to see and live back east.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
My daughter snapped this pic standing on the USS Arizona memorial in 2004 as the host explained to us the the oil droplets that still continue to rise from the ship are referred to as "The tears of the soldiers".
Very touching experience.

FB_IMG_1575763451023.jpg

4Waters

Reaction score
My daughter snapped this pic standing on the USS Arizona memorial in 2004 as the host explained to us the the oil droplets that still continue to rise from the ship are referred to as "The tears of the soldiers".

View attachment 823441
Yup, brought tears to my eyes, actually just did.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score

View attachment 823441
It's amazing what you can see at times, even when you aren't "looking"
:(

SoCalDave

Reaction score
My father in law was a Navy man and worked at the LBNSY for 30 years before retiring. They had family day once a year and one particular year they were mothballing the USS Missouri and replacing the teak deck prior to going to its finally destination, Pearl Harbor. So the teak they were removing they had cut strips about 3" long and hot stamped them with "USS MISSOURI". I still have about 4 or 5 of those deck peices.
I'm very honored to have historical artifacts from my wifes family side.

Private Dan...
IMG_4081.JPG

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
There was an older guy that used to come to cars and coffee in Prescott on Saturday mornings. One time, he popped in wearing a Hawaii ballcap. We get to talking, and he was born and raised there. It turned out, he was family of the governor/territorial government at the turn of the century. He remembered, and conveyed, quite vividly his memory of that morning. He said he was just getting out of bed, when the sirens started sounding from the base. His home was on the beach, north of the attack. As kids do, he ran outside. He said he could hear the "booms", and planes, lots of planes. He saw several that were too far away to see who's they were. Over the next little bit, he saw an American plane, heading from east to west, being chased down by two "Japs". He said the pilot wasn't 50ft off the water, not a half mile from the beach. The plane was hit, and splashed down in full view! In shock, he watched as the pilot popped up, and swam to shore.

He went on to say the beaches were off limits, no swimming until the war's end. When the the war ended, he was now a bit older...I believe 12 or so. He took his little boat out to dive to the wreck. He was astonished by what he saw. The wings had been "peeled" open, and the guns salvaged!

Coffee went long that morning. I haven't seen that gentlemen in about a year now. I am afraid he's since past:(. Glad I asked him. Glad I listened. By the time he was done sharing his story, the table was surrounded by guys older than me. It was like a campsite, surrounding the storyteller. There are too many stories lost to history, and not taught in school.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
There was an older guy that used to come to cars and coffee in Prescott on Saturday mornings. One time, he popped in wearing a Hawaii ballcap. We get to talking, and he was born and raised there. It turned out, he was family of the governor/territorial government at the turn of the century. He remembered, and conveyed, quite vividly his memory of that morning. He said he was just getting out of bed, when the sirens started sounding from the base. His home was on the beach, north of the attack. As kids do, he ran outside. He said he could hear the "booms", and planes, lots of planes. He saw several that were too far away to see who's they were. Over the next little bit, he saw an American plane, heading from east to west, being chased down by two "Japs". He said the pilot wasn't 50ft off the water, not a half mile from the beach. The plane was hit, and splashed down in full view! In shock, he watched as the pilot popped up, and swam to shore.

He went on to say the beaches were off limits, no swimming until the war's end. When the the war ended, he was now a bit older...I believe 12 or so. He took his little boat out to dive to the wreck. He was astonished by what he saw. The wings had been "peeled" open, and the guns salvaged!

Coffee went long that morning. I haven't seen that gentlemen in about a year now. I am afraid he's since past:(. Glad I asked him. Glad I listened. By the time he was done sharing his story, the table was surrounded by guys older than me. It was like a campsite, surrounding the storyteller. There are too many stories lost to history, and not taught in school.

Thank you for sharing that story. I couldn't even imagine what he and others of that time period had to endure.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Taken through the roof of the USS AZ memorial with my digital video camera on still shot mode.
The sun angel was not visible until after I downloaded the image onto my IMac.
View attachment 823464
Thanks, Tommy.
I was hoping you would post that shot.
I’m not much of a religious person, I don’t subscribe to organized religion but I believe there are spirits.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
My father in law was a Navy man and worked at the LBNSY for 30 years before retiring. They had family day once a year and one particular year they were mothballing the USS Missouri and replacing the teak deck prior to going to its finally destination, Pearl Harbor. So the teak they were removing they had cut strips about 3" long and hot stamped them with "USS MISSOURI". I still have about 4 or 5 of those deck peices.
I'm very honored to have historical artifacts from my wifes family side.

Private Dan...
View attachment 823445

There is an old 34ft searay at my yard. It's been stripped of all its mechanical gear and has been sitting there for better than 7 years now. But it was custom ordered brand new and the cabin and cockpit are covered in teak from Mighty Mo and has a plaque mounted inside.

I would love to get her going again, but it would pretty much be building a boat from the bare hull up

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Thanks, Tommy.
I was hoping you would post that shot.
I’m not much of a religious person, I don’t subscribe to organized religion but I believe there are spirits.

That’s my most prized photo that doesn’t involve my kids or Debbie.

It’s once in a lifetime. When you stand in the memorial it’s like hallowed ground, as if you are trespassing almost. At least for me it was.
The room with all the entombed sailers names was off limits to me. I could not enter it. I stood there while others went in. Deb stood beside me and knew. It’s hard to describe.

To me, spirits, and whatever force enables the shared universal gift that we call life is merely the tip of what we don’t know.
We are individual embodiments, yet share a Devine gift. Whatever this force is, it was palpable at that memorial. Those Men (kids really) are there.
I felt the same standing at the base of the battlefield area on the island of Attu where 2500 Japanese and 550 Americans died on the only American soil ever occupied by a foreign army.
When I would go there with the Coasties stationed there (I worked on Shemya), they to a man would just stand silent.
It’s humbling to say the least.

Last edited:

Hypnautic

Reaction score
My Mom was a little girl on the day of the attack. Old enough to remember but to young to understand what was really going on. She grew up on King St where it dead ends up on Punchbowl. My Grandma and family don’t talk much about it. My Grandpa, was working his 2nd job as a bus driver which took him past the Harbor. Many many years ago he shared the story how he and his passengers took refuge in a bunker just outside the harbor entrance. I tell the story and show my kids each time we go there.

We visit family there once/twice a year and have always made a day to visit the memorial then drive up to Punchbowl to visit Grandpa.

Sadly, my cousin works on base as a civilian submarine electrician. He is working in dry dock #2 and is friends with the brother of one of the shooting victims last week. His shifts end at 2pm-shooting was at 2:30 as he was pulling of the base.
IMG_1944.JPG

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
My Mom was a little girl on the day of the attack. Old enough to remember but to young to understand what was really going on. She grew up on King St where it dead ends up on Punchbowl. My Grandma and family don’t talk much about it. My Grandpa, was working his 2nd job as a bus driver which took him past the Harbor. Many many years ago he shared the story how he and his passengers took refuge in a bunker just outside the harbor entrance. I tell the story and show my kids each time we go there.

We visit family there once/twice a year and have always made a day to visit the memorial then drive up to Punchbowl to visit Grandpa.

Sadly, my cousin works on base as a civilian submarine electrician. He is working in dry dock #2 and is friends with the brother of one of the shooting victims last week. His shifts end at 2pm-shooting was at 2:30 as he was pulling of the base.
View attachment 823486

I know exactly where that is.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
That’s my most prized photo that doesn’t involve my kids or Debbie.

It’s once in a lifetime. When you stand in the memorial it’s like hallowed ground, as if you are trespassing almost. At least for me it was.
The room with all the entombed sailers names was off limits to me. I could not enter it. I stood there while others went in. Deb stood beside me and knew. It’s hard to describe.

To me, spirits, and whatever force enables the shared universal gift that we call life is merely the tip of what we don’t know.
We are individual embodiments, yet share a Devine gift. Whatever this force is, it was palpable at that memorial. Those Men (kids really) are there.
I felt the same standing at the base of the battlefield area on the island of Attu where 2500 Japanese and 550 Americans died on the only American soil ever occupied by a foreign army.
When I would go there with the Coasties stationed there (I worked on Shemya), they to a man would just stand silent.
It’s humbling to say the least.
I understand that feeling. I get in when entering the Alamo......When living in GA, I visited numerous Civil War battle and memorial sites. Same feeling. Spirits guarding the lost.

4Waters

Reaction score
Those are two really cool pics. The diver, I would assume, had permission from some very important people. Seeing the carrier behind the Missouri shows that we as a country will continue.
I'm going to guess that it is either a Navy diver or a National Park Service diver.