WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat engine full of water

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
So my buddy calls me this morning since he knew I was off and asks if I can come over. Apparently his tarp and cover filled up with rain water while he was gone the week. The tarp ripped right at the PVC and broke the elbow which filled up the engine as it it were a funnel.

He opens the ez drain into a 5 gallon bucket and has almost filled it before oil starts to finally come out.

So I am headed over to pull the plugs and spin it over to get water out of the cylinders and spray WD-40 inside.

I have read about filling the engine with diesel fuel and spinning it over then draining and re filling with oil and running it to get moisture out.

Any other tips or tricks?

brownsuger

Reaction score
Now I don't claim to be an expert... But having been in a similar predicament....

After draining the engine and spraying lubricant into the cylinders, I just put fresh oil in and spun it over, drained that, put fresh oil in and started it... let it run for a short time, drained that oil and did it again... I think I did it 3 times. Then I changed the oil again after the 1st use and all has been well

buck35

Reaction score
I have heard diesel as well . If it went in the valve cover there shouldn't be water in / on the Pistons but pulling plugs and oiling the holes not a.bad idea.

No engine builder here but pulling the distributer and using a drill on the oil pump should help flush it after diesel bath.

HST4ME

Reaction score
Depending on water pump set up..after firing it backup I just give them enough water to idle at 210-220 to steam the moisture out for an hour. Alphas are easy, bravos are a little more tricky..but i made a hose bypass kit to feed the manifolds with a ball valve that cuts the water to the block to just a trickle.....or you can just change the oil a few times :)

JDKRXW

Reaction score
With luck like that, I'd help your buddy out and get the hell away from him for a while.

Obviously ,my usual advice of never storing a covered boat with the drain plugs in doesn't apply here.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So my buddy calls me this morning since he knew I was off and asks if I can come over. Apparently his tarp and cover filled up with rain water while he was gone the week. The tarp ripped right at the PVC and broke the elbow which filled up the engine as it it were a funnel.

He opens the ez drain into a 5 gallon bucket and has almost filled it before oil starts to finally come out.

So I am headed over to pull the plugs and spin it over to get water out of the cylinders and spray WD-40 inside.

I have read about filling the engine with diesel fuel and spinning it over then draining and re filling with oil and running it to get moisture out.

Any other tips or tricks?

The diesel fuel is for preservation if it might take awhile to get too.
If you can drain the oil out of it and put WD40 down it.. etc

You shouldn’t need the diesel fuel. you should be able to get all the water out and fire up to steam out the rest.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Diesel will absorb MOISTURE. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than oil. Fill that puppy up. Drain it run the oil, steam it out, at idle, as said.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Pull the plugs, spin it over to get all the water outta the cylinders, pour the right amount of the cheapest oil you can find back in it and get it running ASAP. Let it heat up (oil temp), then shut it down and change the oil, repeat until oil comes out clear (no moisture in it). The longer it sits before getting it running after draining the water out, the worse it will be.

Filling with Diesel is dumb...I'm not sure who came up with that. It doesn't mix with water any easier than other oil does...it's just cheaper than oil, but...the water was on the bottom anyway, and came out first while the layer of oil floated on top taking as much water dropplets with it that anything will.

Get it running

Last edited:

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
How does water just pour into the engine? Is the boat stored with an open velocity stack?

It is a jet bote without an engine cover. I’ll take a pic of the PCV breather that broke and I believe that’s where the water came in.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
With luck like that, I'd help your buddy out and get the hell away from him for a while.

Obviously ,my usual advice of never storing a covered boat with the drain plugs in doesn't apply here.

Plug was out.

Rayson1971

Reaction score
How long has water been sitting in the motor. Might want to watch for rust build up. The whole diesel fuel thing works but usually it's been done right after a motor has been submerged where there hasn't been enough time for rust to form.

BIG MIKE

Reaction score
How long has water been sitting in the motor. Might want to watch for rust build up. The whole diesel fuel thing works but usually it's been done right after a motor has been submerged where there hasn't been enough time for rust to form.

It has been in there for 3 to 4 days.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
It is a jet bote without an engine cover. I’ll take a pic of the PCV breather that broke and I believe that’s where the water came in.

Disconnect the pump from the engine for this exercise if possible

lbhsbz

Reaction score
It has been in there for 3 to 4 days.

That's fine...as long as it stayed full. When I sunk my jetbote, I knew I wouldn't be able to tear the motor down for a few weeks, so I just topped it off through the carb and valve cover with water until I could get too it...thing looked like new inside when I tore it down.

guest hs

Reaction score
If water ran down the valve cover there shouldn’t be any water in the cylinders unless it’s got bad valve stem seals. Drain what’s off the bottom (water) start and run the engine and change the oil and filter be done.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Pretty much the only area that could rust fast would be the upper cylinder walls. In this case doubt that water got in the chambers but like other's have stated best to remove the plugs and go through the routine.
Good luck to your friend.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
I would drain the water until a solid stream of oil flows out. Fill it with fresh cheap oil, back down a ramp and let is run. The Dodge Durango with a 4.7L from 2005 has a messed up PCV system ( Positive crankcase ventilation) that fills the crankcase with moisture pulled out of the air. NOT PVC (Polyvinyl chloride) which is plastic pipe
Next is to throw a canvas tarp over the motor so this does not happen again.
All Internal combustion engines absorb water in the oil to some extent.
This is not an issue where the boat sank and mass amounts of silt were introduced. Really not a big deal imo.
Again, drain out water until you get solid oil flow. Refill with fresh oil. Run until temps are above 180. Drain and refill with fresh oil and filter. Done deal.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
It’s a jet bote who cares.

I’ll never understand why people store their boats outside?

lbhsbz

Reaction score
How about using proper terms.

Pvc = plastic pipe typically used in dwv

Pcv is positive crankcase vent.

So did the water go down the pvc or the pcv? Big difference!!!

The rest of us morons were able to figure out exactly what he meant...why can’t you?

Justfishing

Reaction score
The rest of us morons were able to figure out exactly what he meant...why can’t you?
If you are a moron, your words not mine, I cant help it. But i refer you to posts 7,8 and 11 as a couple that were confused. By the way is was meant with a little levity but sorry you didnt take it that.

HST4ME

Reaction score
mgid_ao_image_mtv.jpeg

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I agree ...Pull plugs squirt Marvels in there and turn over several times and then clean/replace the plugs and get it running ASAP

Jimmy

Reaction score
I had a heap of water get into my engine from a wake boat last year and all i did was
ASAP
Pulled the spark plugs.
Span the engine over.
Libral amount of WD40 in each cylinder.
Span the engine over again.
Plugs back in and ran the engine till for a few minutes.
2 days later when I got the boat home I changed the oil and filters and took it out to the lake and got the engine hot.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
On your way over to bail out your friends boat stop at Auto Zone and grab a new PVC.Most likely the original been gone since last time out.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
I was attempting sarcasm.Never works for me.But,most likely PCV been missing awhile

Taboma

Reaction score
I was attempting sarcasm.Never works for me.But,most likely PCV been missing awhile

I figured as much, but I couldn't help myself :p
Sarcasm rarely works for me either, when I've tried ole River Dave just brands me as being mean.
Just like some old farts can pull off the 'Dirty ole Man' gig and girls just giggle :p Me, shit I'd be face down in a ditch in seconds :rolleyes:

4Waters

Reaction score
On your way over to bail out your friends boat stop at Auto Zone and grab a new PVC.Most likely the original been gone since last time out.
You should have put PVC in quotes "PVC"