WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2020 Nautique G23 Diesel Option.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Took a ride in the new diesel Nautique G23 this week at our Nautique dealer meeting. Curious to see how many other manufacturers will follow suit with elelctric and diesel like Nautique has done.

370hp, 600ftlb torque, 4gph burn rate at 3800rpm and 75% load. Currently no DEF required.
20191010_091820.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
Gawd that bow on the Epic is horrific. There is only one boat manufacturer who has nailed a good looking blunt bow, and Epic is not them.

The fact that these manufacturers are going to diesel only tells me these boats are more than gigantic and powering them with a typical gas marine engine no longer works to move the weight of the boat, the passengers and the 10,000lbs. of liquid ballast these folks like to haul around. :rolleyes::D

NicPaus

Reaction score
They need to figure out a overdrive to get top speed up to the 50 range. Cruising at 33 is like driving a 22'pontoon with a 3.0 wide open . For strictly boarding this is a perfect setup.

spectras only

Reaction score
They need to figure out a overdrive to get top speed up to the 50 range. Cruising at 33 is like driving a 22'pontoon with a 3.0 wide open . For strictly boarding this is a perfect setup.
I still have the Bravo1x diesel drives on my boat. You would need two engines to go over 50 though.;)
When the diesels were in my boat, it went over 60.
12001sidneypokerrun016-med.jpg

These are the diesel drives on my boat
Exhaust%20project%20complete

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
The fact that these manufacturers are going to diesel only tells me these boats are more than gigantic and powering them with a typical gas marine engine no longer works to move the weight of the boat, the passengers and the 10,000lbs. of liquid ballast these folks like to haul around. :rolleyes::D

gas engines have PLENTY of power to haul around a big boat (a m35 dcb is 10k lbs dry...). Its the fact that most of these wake boats spend their lives at like 15% throttle doing 12mph to create a giant wake and need more low end torque than a gas motor can provide without using big cube motors and most of those manufacturers are all about small blocks.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
The problem they're going to have is regularity of finding fuel. On lake Travis, we have a ton of large boats/yachts. But most of them are gassers at a ratio of 20:1, even at nearly 50ft long. There is only 1 marina on the lake that pumps diesel. 1 out of 10. Further more, diesel mechanics are scarce. I'll bet your nautique dealer doesnt employ a proper diesel tech. I admittedly only work on a few diesels and the other tech at my shop handles most of them on the lake. He is the only Volvo marine diesel certified tech in central texas. Honestly he can have them. If boat owners don't want to wait in line for him to work on them, their only option is to call in heavy equipment techs who bill by the hour from when they leave their yard 2 hours away to when they get back to it and dont know shit about marine diesels.

It is a neat idea, but the infrastructure isnt there to make it successful not to mention the emissions that you know will follow. Some of our larger diesel boats are emissions required and carry 50 gallons of def on board. So you know it's coming. I dont see it panning out from my side of the fence but do wish the guys and gals at CorrectCraft the best.

4Waters

Reaction score
One BIG bonus with diesel is less chance of flash fire with a fuel leak, it can still happen but way less likely.

Dylan

Reaction score
It’s a $40k up-charge on the build sheet. Curious to see how many actually sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Waters

Reaction score
270hp
438ft/lbs torque
And it uses the very reliable CP 4.2 high pressure fuel pump :rolleyes::eek:

Edit: Forgot, this info is for the Mercruiser diesel

Last edited:

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
If I were a dealer, I would refuse to put one on the floor. Special order only and I wouldnt hold my breath either

guest hs

Reaction score

boat527

Reaction score
11mph tow speed????..

Seriously? Please stay on the trailer (or some designers drawing board)

Crap

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
3,800 rpm diesel?
And 4gph?
Fuck!!
3800 rpm? That’s pretty high for a diesel. And 4 gpm at 75% load no F’n way. My Duramax will burn 5 gallons in an hour at 1800 rpm with just the wind resistance at 80 mph.
4 gallons at 75% load at 3800 RPM - someone’s been smoking their own socks.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
3800 rpm? That’s pretty high for a diesel. And 4 gpm at 75% load no F’n way. My Duramax will burn 5 gallons in an hour at 1800 rpm with just the wind resistance at 80 mph.
4 gallons at 75% load at 3800 RPM - someone’s been smoking their own socks.
I was thinking pretty much the same.
My Cummins is done at 3K
You Chevy and Ford guys have a couple hundred rpm on me. This diesel is turning a few hundy more than you guys..

Is this the engine?
955DC162-3B4A-498D-B006-D6352BA79829.png

footer

looking for a v-drive
Reaction score
So how much rpm will this turn? Or is that it?
A wake sports boat and can't run 36mph, the normal slalom speed?
I know slalom isn't big any more but for a couple $100k I'd think one would want he option...
36mph is the highest tournement speed for men. Most recreational skiing happens at lower speeds. Which is all irrelevant, because, speaking from experience, skiing behind a 23 foot wake boat sucks so bad no one will care.

guest hs

Reaction score
In
Yes, they are introducing electric. Nautique has actually had a full electric GS22 on Tahoe for some time for testing. The GS and G series will be the first available with the option.
interesting I have had a thought in my head to build an 18 foot jet with a Tesla type motor and battery’s. I think the torque of the electric motor paired up with a jet drive would be incredible.

2Driver

Reaction score
In

interesting I have had a thought in my head to build an 18 foot jet with a Tesla type motor and battery’s. I think the torque of the electric motor paired up with a jet drive would be incredible.

i bet that would kick ass. I go 20’

spectras only

Reaction score
The gph is outstanding!! 4 gallons per hour is nothing!!
Stop believing that Dave.;) Engines in my boat were the 300HP models, weighing nearly 1000lbs ea. Newer ones are up to 350HP now and rated @Fuel consumption 21.5 gal/hr / 81.46 l/hr @ 3800 rpm. No effing way this Yanmar runs 4 Gal/hr at WOT,or even at cruising speed. Maybe idling in the channel:p:D

Last edited:

spectras only

Reaction score
In

Read the article here. Real TQ of the Tesla is 758 lb/foot. Plenty to take off for a typical jetdrive for its power demand and performance. However, continuous operation of a jetdrive demands continuous high TQ for the pump's uphill battle for a jetboat. The size of batteries to maintain running the boat for a few hours would make the boat plowing the water, instead of skimming top of it. JMHO. Diesel electric system would be great, if a tiny diesel engine would have power to generate enough electricity for the Tesla motor.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/a14498079/new-tesla-roadster-torque-hp/s

Fenske calculates that the Roadster's motor offers around 758 lb-ft of torque and nearly 1000 hp. Hugely impressive numbers by any standard.

Last edited:

Christian Schmitt

Reaction score
Read the article here. Real TQ of the Tesla is 758 lb/foot. Plenty to take off for a typical jetdrive for its power demand and performance. However, continuous operation of a jetdrive demands continuous high TQ for the pump's uphill battle for a jetboat. The size of batteries to maintain running the boat for a few hours would make the boat plowing the water, instead of skimming top of it. JMHO. Diesel electric system would be great, if a tiny diesel engine would have power to generate enough electricity for the Tesla motor.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/a14498079/new-tesla-roadster-torque-hp/s

Fenske calculates that the Roadster's motor offers around 758 lb-ft of torque and nearly 1000 hp. Hugely impressive numbers by any standard.

It’s actually 3 motors working together to generate that kind of power.

spectras only

Reaction score
It’s actually 3 motors working together to generate that kind of power.
I'm aware. Do you think,coupling three motors and having a heavy battery onboard to push a 23 foot boat to get on plane with a jetdrive would be a great idea? I think a small version of the 40'Greenline's VW hybrid diesel with straight or V-drive could work for the Nautique towing wake boarders.;)

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
Stop believing that Dave.;) Engines in my boat were the 300HP models, weighing nearly 1000lbs ea. Newer ones are up to 350HP now and rated @Fuel consumption 21.5 gal/hr / 81.46 l/hr @ 3800 rpm. No effing way this Yanmar runs 4 Gal/hr at WOT,or even at cruising speed. Maybe idling in the channel:p:D
Why did you remove the diesel engines? It seems like that would have been the perfect set up. Soundsl like it was a really rare boat with those engines. I paid extra for diesels in my 46 footer.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I'm aware. Do you think,coupling three motors and having a heavy battery onboard to push a 23 foot boat to get on plane with a jetdrive would be a great idea? I think a small version of the 40'Greenline's VW hybrid diesel with straight or V-drive could work for the Nautique towing wake boarders.;)

Maybe for a drag boat.

Sustained high-load operation is the Achilles heel for towing and marine use.

Battery energy density is very low, so you need a lot of heavy batteries that will be quickly depleted.

Here’s a good example of the issue:
The Model X can go 300 miles, but add a trailer and a hill and you’ll cut that range by 2/3rds.

A boat moving thru water is not unlike towing uphill - it’s a constant load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Diesel electric system would be great, if a tiny diesel engine would have power to generate enough electricity for the Tesla motor.

Power is power...the Diesel engine would have to be very large to satisfy the power demands of the electric motor.

Then you have conversion loss going from diesel to electricity, so in actuality the diesel generator would have to make more power to go the same speed as a gas engine, let alone to overcome the added weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
This is always an unpopular point, but high peak torque values are rarely important in a marine application. Exceptions are applications that struggle to get on plane and tug boats (not tow boats), also big boats dealing with big swells. If the throttle is not 100% mashed, you're not at peak torque. No tow boat is at 12 mph with the throttle mashed ;)

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
I’d be very leery of a mass production boat manufacturer doing diesel installs . Wait till diesels are more mainstream and don’t be the experiment.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Just an FYI for those of you wondering; a new Nautique G23 with the PCM XR7 550hp engine will run about 38 at 4500 feet elevation top speed. Normal surf speed is 11.2mph.

spectras only

Reaction score
Why did you remove the diesel engines? It seems like that would have been the perfect set up. Soundsl like it was a really rare boat with those engines. I paid extra for diesels in my 46 footer.

Bought my boat from a poker run buddy who was a Mercruiser authorized mech in Seattle. The boat was originally built for the owner of Mirage boats back in 1990 with twin engines. It had the 383 stroker engines with blowers.When my buddy had it, Mercruiser loaned him the diesel package to campaign the boat with them.The boat did well speed wise, over 60mph, but most people wanted more, so the diesel idea didn't do too well for the poker run crowd. He returned the engines but the B1X diesel drives stayed with the boat.
First engine setup
mir1.jpg

second, diesels.Very clean appearance
12001sidneypokerrun016-med.jpg

present engines, 6.2's, very crowded in there
Twin%20377's

Twin%20377's

The diesel drives are 1:65 ratio. allowing to turn B1 26P props.

Last edited: