WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ceramic coatings on fiberglass

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Anyone using this stuff? Pros? Cons?

MrMayhem

Reaction score
I used that F11 stuff on the cowling of my black OB. Am not impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shortdeck

Reaction score
I’m curious as well. On the Shine Supply website they recommend two coats of ceramics. I’ve also read that a ceramic coating will water spot if water is left and baked in the sun.

PlanB

Reaction score
I used that F11 stuff on the cowling of my black OB. Am not impressed.

Might be the heat. Had the entire boat ceramic coated, and the OB was the first thing it stopped working on. Once the summer heat started, the black paint on the boat started having issues.

Chris Griner at Detail Specialties has been very cool to work with though.

Joe mama

Reaction score
Might be the heat. Had the entire boat ceramic coated, and the OB was the first thing it stopped working on. Once the summer heat started, the black paint on the boat started having issues.

Chris Griner at Detail Specialties has been very cool to work with though.
What type of issues?

PlanB

Reaction score
What type of issues?

It stops working. When the ceramic coat is working it beads water very well leaving small little water spots that look like white dots. It also wipes off easily with just a damp towel. When you start getting regular spotting, it's not working anymore.

Singleton

Reaction score
It stops working. When the ceramic coat is working it beads water very well leaving small little water spots that look like white dots. It also wipes off easily with just a damp towel. When you start getting regular spotting, it's not working anymore.

Dark colors and Havasu hard-water sun seems to be problematic
One reason I keep deferring the coating

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I have it in my RV. Not sure how long it lasts, etc. Rv is only a couple months old so time will tell.

jscarab

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Does not hold up to the 365 day elements of havasu.... don’t think anything will.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
I had Chris at Detail Specialties do mine last August. Only been in the water a couples of times since. After mooring 3 days/nights at Pirates the river scum was thick but very easy to clean. Colors are vibrant, almost appears to have been clear coated. Doesn't have that slick "just waxed" feeling but still very clean.

Will have to report back after some time in the river sun!