WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Havasu RV Garage

guest hs

Reaction score
Who is the go to guy to build an RV garage in Havasu?

Singleton

Reaction score
I have been referred to
Jeff Buhmiller
Flying J Construction

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I have used
Jeff Buhmiller
Flying J Construction
On a number of projects and he is awesome.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Got a long time personal friend who is a contractor. He will get it done promptly and correctly, Joe Mitchell. Think he is still Afuel7067 on here, but will send him a link to the thread so he can PM

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Don't forget to get your insurance policy updated for the extra garage. Just heard of a horror story where someone added a 40x60 garage, didn't tell insurance, it burned, and the base policy only had 30k in other structures coverage.

ClownRoyal

Reaction score
I am thinking of building one in Havasu as well. Anyone here heard of or have had experience with John at Coltrin Construction?

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I am thinking of building one in Havasu as well. Anyone here heard of or have had experience with John at Coltrin Construction?
A friend just finished up with Coltrin and the quality is good, but too new to know if there will be any problems. They didn't see eye to eye on everything and took a little longer than anticipated but not that bad for the size and configuration. Main problem is everyone is busy and the subs don't show up everyday.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
I would put either a hatch or skylights that open - to release the heat along with AC

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Do it yourself. I self contracted and built my own.

WaterMike

Reaction score
Bumping an old thread cuz there are already a bunch of RV garage threads. Those of you who have built RV/boat garages, what would you do differently in hindsight? I am trying to make sure I think about everything before I start getting quotes and drawings. It will be a detached building behind my house cuz I am on a corner lot.

Questions:
Flat roof vs tile? (just cost and aesthetics?)
Hvac on roof or on ground? Wall packs?
Swamp cooler worth it?

Basics:
14ft door/s
30-35W x 40-60L (how much space is really necessary? I have a 3 car garage on house with 100 ft deep x 11 ft wide of side parking)
RV dump
Insulated for ACs
Toilet/shower

Havazoo

Reaction score
Bigger the better and width is as important as depth, maybe even more so. Getting items out of a deep garage gets old quick.

franky

Reaction score
You first have to determine max height limit on garage before you start thinking roof type, etc.

WaterMike

Reaction score
Bigger the better and width is as important as depth, maybe even more so. Getting items out of a deep garage gets old quick.
I would much rather go wider than longer to have stuff parked next to each other rather than in front of each other. I figure RV lane, Boat lane, Misc trailer lane, 10 ft per lane and anything beyond that just makes it easier to get in/out. Width is limited by PUE at rear of lot and primary building grade.

You first have to determine max height limit on garage before you start thinking roof type, etc.
R-1 zoning is 15 ft max height for primary building (house). RV garage grade is 5-7ft lower than the house the way the lot is. 20ft should be easy. 5th wheel is 13ft H so need 14 ft doors

Rv garages are much like safes. They can never be big enough.:D
Unfortunately my technician budget can only afford so much. ACs,interior finishing, and accessories will be added later when funds allow. I want to build it ready for these things though as install is easier and usually looks much better.

tostark

Liquid Equity
Reaction score
I used Andy at Johnson Manley. They did a great job for me. The project finished up April of this year. Be sure not to overlook storage area. I have seen many garages where they ended up putting cabinets on the side walls, but that only narrows your parking area. Instead of doing the large door in back (since I couldn't drive around the garage anyways), I put a 15x28ft loft with stairs. Workshop underneath and storage up above. Here is the link from the "New Construction" forum

https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/havasu-rv-garage.201482/

WaterMike

Reaction score
I used Andy at Johnson Manley. They did a great job for me. The project finished up April of this year. Be sure not to overlook storage area. I have seen many garages where they ended up putting cabinets on the side walls, but that only narrows your parking area. Instead of doing the large door in back (since I couldn't drive around the garage anyways), I put a 15x28ft loft with stairs. Workshop underneath and storage up above. Here is the link from the "New Construction" forum

https://www.riverdavesplace.com/forums/threads/havasu-rv-garage.201482/

I followed your thread, really nice job. Storage is a thought and with the dual grade of my lot the man door from the back yard will be at the house grade. I had the idea to do a loft type setup like yours. Stub out plumbing and electrical to finish out a casita in the garage or just keep it as a bathroom and storage area.

FishSniper

Reaction score
Who is the go to guy to build an RV garage in Havasu?
I would recommended like others have said go as long and as wide as possible. Never has the word “ this garage is too big been said”. One of the main reasons we bought the house we did was the 73 foot garage.

Hdgasser

Reaction score
Buddy of mine has a swamp cooler in his RV garage and it's pretty awesome... it's not AC but it makes it nice at nite to knock the temps down while your wiping the boat down.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I noticed the double width RV garages are more popular.

8360822F-1E34-4255-A4A4-44757349E07A.jpeg

Swamp coolers are good for a couple months. Mini splits are the way to go, put them on the ground. Tile roof is the least maintenance , a flat roof you need to reseal every 3-4 years.

If you add AC to an existing garage don’t forget to have insulation blown in if it doesn’t have any. Baker in Havasu does a good job.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I noticed the double width RV garages are more popular.

View attachment 823805

Swamp coolers are good for a couple months. Mini splits are the way to go, put them on the ground. Tile roof is the least maintenance , a flat roof you need to reseal every 3-4 years.

If you add AC to an existing garage don’t forget to have insulation blown in if it doesn’t have any. Baker in Havasu does a good job.

agreed 100%

TCHB

Reaction score
I love having my garage doors in the shade from noon on. I can leave doors open and keep it nice with port a cool.