WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Offroading where I've never been before

riverroyal

Reaction score
Going to this place next month. Just made up my mind...thanks zig

DWC

Reaction score
Heading up next weekend. Thanks for the report and tips. Looking forward to our first of the season.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
My Mom's family purchased property in the Chocolate Mountains back in the 1920s. It was going to be the family's desert retirement oasis retreat. Not long after they purchased that acreage they received notice that is was becoming a Govt bombing range. Too funny. They were offered decent $$ by the US Govt, but never sold. Pretty dumb. The place remains a USMC Bombing Range and contains a lot of live ordinance. A real desert garden oasis.
If you want to take your chances, I've read there is gold in those hills. :eek:

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
Not to mention that is some prime deer hunting country as well. I’ll buy the family property if available. :D

If you want to take your chances, I've read there is gold in those hills. :eek:

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Not to mention that is some prime deer hunting country as well. I’ll buy the family property if available. :D

Isn't all that land a Bombing Range now? I had no idea there was sufficient water and grass to support deer up in those mountains. They look dry as a bone!

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
The Chocolate Mountain "retreat" has become a family joke. My Mom and her parents have all passed. They had very good intentions. They had an ample amount of acreage up there. Stubborn Germans, they refused to accept any payment from the Feds for the taking of their property. Guess they thought they would get it back some day. Wrong! May have been one of those "Eminent Domain" kind of Govt take overs.

Patyacht

Reaction score
The railroad is left over from the old Kaiser Mine north of the 10 freeway near Red Cloud. Eagle Mountain.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Mountain,_California
The railroad bridge can be seen in the 1966 movie "The Professionals". It starred Burt Lancaster, Lee Marvin, Robert Ryan, and Claudia Cardinale, with Jack Palance, Ralph Bellamy, and Woody Strode in supporting roles. See about the 2.37 mark:
Besides the Bat Caves, there are many places to ride in that area to include an Oasis, several cool slot canyons, Hotel California, Mecca Hills, Pinnacles tr & Red Canyon tr, the north end of the sand dunes and Chiriaco Summit just to name a few areas. RZRForums has several events out there each year. I personally thought that the North Glamis Resort needed a lot of maintenance and upkeep. Many of the RV sites aren't real level and the place just needed help.