WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Actual proof that "money" means absolutely nothing anymore

yz450mm

Reaction score
Do you think that a half rotten banana duct taped to a wall is worth 120k, as long as its deemed "art"?

No, but of course there are some suckers out there with more money than brains... but you would at least think that they would want to take their new art home, right?

Well, nope. The genius that pulled this stunt off threw the banana away, and sold "the idea" of his art for 120 K, times 2. The third one is for sale for 150 K, if anybody is interested.

“He did not destroy the artwork. The banana is the idea,” Lucien Terras, director of museum relations, said.

Collectors have been buying the certificate of the art -- the banana is not made to last."

So now you can steal whatever you want and walk out the front door of any store without repercussions, and other people are selling the idea of a banana taped to a wall for 120 K "per idea".

Its over folks, get ready...

yz450mm

Reaction score
Screenshot (10).png

Attachments

• Screenshot (10).png
    Screenshot (10).png
    946.9 KB · Views: 87

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The art world is a bizarre place..

Things are worth $$ because someone says it is, and things are fake because someone says it is..

I ever tell you guys about the time I had a Rembrandt in my possession? (Seriously)

yz450mm

Reaction score
The art world is a bizarre place..

Things are worth $$ because someone says it is, and things are fake because someone says it is..

I ever tell you guys about the time I had a Rembrandt in my possession? (Seriously)
I get it, I've walked through the Vegas galleries that have paintings that are supposedly worth more than most people's houses. This one is different though, it's nothing more than an idea...not a picture, not a painting, nothing physical. Just an idea that it once existed.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
I get it, I've walked through the Vegas galleries that have paintings that are supposedly worth more than most people's houses. This one is different though, it's nothing more than an idea...not a picture, not a painting, nothing physical. Just an idea that it once existed.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
You don't understand the Art World..

How Dare You!! :p
:D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
No. Do tell.

long story short Stacy’s grandfather dated a pretty incredible woman that has now long since passed on.

She was pretty well off and collected art among other things. She sold it all off except this one painting that was a Rembrandt.
It would come up in conversation every now and again and I finally asked her why doesn’t she sell it? Said she’d like too and has even tried but nobody would look at it.

I asked her how she knew it was real... and she had hired numerous experts on them and all said it was real. It had been x-ray’d and had the line drawings underneath the paint (paper was expensive back then and often re-used). There was about 11 different signature things they look for with dating etc and it had all of them.

At one point they had even made a documentary about her painting and art experts challenged the museums that claimed to hold the original to a side by side comparison and to go through the same tests.

So I tell her if it’s real and she has all this information it shouldn’t be hard to sell.

she brought everything.. all the test results, the documents/ a copy of the documentary, and a wooden case and gives it to me and tells me “good luck selling it.”

So here I am in possession of something that is worth “yacht money”. I had it at my shop for months..

I called various places and discussed showing it to them to see if they’d be interested. Not one of them would even look at it or the test results etc!

I called some wealthy buddies that have yacht money and they made some calls for me. As soon as I said the word Rembrandt the connects died immediately.

after several months she asked me how it was going, and I told her that apparently this thing was gonna be a lot harder to sell than I anticipated because nobody would even look at it.

That’s when she told me about the museums and how they have them as well. For them to test against this one is a huge political nightmare, and even though she spent all the money having it verified, it would go against some of the larger names in the art world.. And down the rabbit hole it goes..

Long story short she passed away and her son whom is also well off was hugely religious and donated it to the Catholic Church.

I’m sure it’s in the Vatican by now, and at some point we will read about the church having a Rembrandt and I’ll look across the bar to some guy and say “I had that in my possession once” and they will say I’m full of shit. Lol

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
long story short Stacy’s grandfather dated a pretty incredible woman that has now long since passed on.

She was pretty well off and collected art among other things. She sold it all off except this one painting that was a Rembrandt.
It would come up in conversation every now and again and I finally asked her why doesn’t she sell it? Said she’d like too and has even tried but nobody would look at it.

I asked her how she knew it was real... and she had hired numerous experts on them and all said it was real. It had been x-ray’d and had the line drawings underneath the paint (paper was expensive back then and often re-used). There was about 11 different signature things they look for with dating etc and it had all of them.

At one point they had even made a documentary about her painting and art experts challenged the museums that claimed to hold the original to a side by side comparison and to go through the same tests.

So I tell her if it’s real and she has all this information it shouldn’t be hard to sell.

she brought everything.. all the test results, the documents/ a copy of the documentary, and a wooden case and gives it to me and tells me “good luck selling it.”

So here I am in possession of something that is worth “yacht money”. I had it at my shop for months..

I called various places and discussed showing it to them to see if they’d be interested. Not one of them would even look at it or the test results etc!

I called some wealthy buddies that have yacht money and they made some calls for me. As soon as I said the word Rembrandt the connects died immediately.

after several months she asked me how it was going, and I told her that apparently this thing was gonna be a lot harder to sell than I anticipated because nobody would even look at it.

That’s when she told me about the museums and how they have them as well. For them to test against this one is a huge political nightmare, and even though she spent all the money having it verified, it would go against some of the larger names in the art world.. And down the rabbit hole it goes..

Long story short she passed away and her son whom is also well off was hugely religious and donated it to the Catholic Church.

I’m sure it’s in the Vatican by now, and at some point we will read about the church having a Rembrandt and I’ll look across the bar to some guy and say “I had that in my possession once” and they will say I’m full of shit. Lol
I swear i have watched this play out on Vids. Ya, the art world has a few snobs and proving things becomes a battle of the verification houses.
It happens in many fashions just not art. They want some long trail of paper work that doesn't exist. Even when given science it doesn't pan out.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
So a line crew required to wear Hi Vis Yellow Shirts starts complaining about number of bees buzzing around them in the laydown yard, so safety guy rolls up and zip ties this lil yellow fellow to a pole o_O out at the perimeter and Shazaam, no more bees harassing the hands in their Hi Vis Yellow Shirts. :cool:
75429432_2820708631295396_6248145897679486976_n.jpg

spectras only

Reaction score

Dave, did you live under a rock?:p Didn't you know, the Pawn Stars have the best experts in Vegas to authenticate fine art. Rick would have been all over this paint and you'd have a DCB in your stable by now.:D

The Velvet Underground & Nico
this vinyl from the 60's worth roughly $25.000
album-cover-banana.jpg

Last edited:

Yellowboat

Reaction score

That actually sounds about right. Lots of people have $$$$$ that is worthless if its a fake. They dont want to know.

Google Ken Perenyi, his story pretty much says it all. If you see a buttersworth painting chance are about 75% its one of his.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Look at these YouTube guys that buy a new off road vehicle @$35k and take them out and demolish them.

Money to burn I guess.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score

Being a history dork, I've read of lots of art pieces "losing their way". After WWII, lots of pieces that were looted by the Nazi's were hidden away. There was a movie made about the group finding them and bringing them back to the original families or countries, as in some cases the families were all killed.
....But, in some not so public cases, the art was taken by other powerful families. It is also on record that some pieces made their way to the Vatican vaults. Some "treasure", if you will, was also rumored to have been brought back by occupying armies.
Stories of "burried treasure" in the south west. Hidden bunkers on land once trained on by the military. Maybe just stories, but pretty interesting stories none the less. Especially for those of us that have spent time in those remote areas of nowhere.

sirbob

Reaction score
Turns out prince Charles has a bunch of fakes in his special royal gallery given to him by Bernie Ecelstones (F1 founder) now broke but once a "millionaire" ex son in law. He tried to use them as collatroll for more money when he went broke and was uncovered.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
It is not just about the "art" sometimes.....

Art and Money Laundering
Wednesday, March 20, 2019

The potential role of high-end art and antiquities in money laundering schemes has attracted increasing attention over the last several years, particularly as the prices for such objects steadily rise and a tightening global enforcement and regulatory net has rendered other possible avenues for money laundering increasingly less attractive. The effort to subject U.S. dealers in art and antiquities to Anti-Money-Laundering (“AML”) obligations recently has gained new life. As we blogged, the House Financial Services Committee just released three proposed bills to codify many of the reform ideas that have been swirling around the Bank Secretary Act (“BSA”) and AML and Combating the Financing of Terrorism (“CFT”) laws. One of the bills — entitled as the “To make reforms to the Federal Bank Secrecy Act and anti-money laundering laws, and for other purposes” — catalogues various detailed provisions seeking to reform the BSA and AML laws. Nestled admist all of the other, generally higher-profile proposals (such as the creation of a BSA whistleblower program), one short section of this bill simply expands the list of defined “financial institutions” covered by the BSA to include “dealers in art or antiquities,” and then states that the Secretary of the Treasury shall issue implementing regulations within 180 days of the bill’s enactment.

Regardless of whether this provision ultimately is enacted, the underlying issue will persist. This post discusses some of the general concerns that the art and antiquities world can be misused as a conduit for dirty money. We then discuss the AML Standards for Art Market Operators proposed by the Basel Institute on Governance, and similar standards set forth by the Responsible Art Market, both of which attempt to set forth a framework for those in the business of trading art to mitigate their money laundering risks.

An Ideal Vehicle for Laundering Money?
Stories of art and money laundering tend to be media friendly, and often involve the wealthy behaving poorly. In one notorious case, the Department of Justice (“DOJ”) seized, via a civil forfeiture action, Jean Michel Basquiat’s 1981 painting, Hannibal. This work — later returned to Brazil by the DOJ — had been smuggled into the U.S. by Edemar Cid Ferreira, a former Brazilian banker who was convicted of money laundering and other offenses, and who allegedly converted some of his laundered proceeds into a significant art collection. According to the DOJ, although Hannibal had been appraised at a value of $8 million, it had been smuggled by Ferreira into the U.S. from Brazil, via the Netherlands, with false shipping invoices stating that the contents of the shipment were worth $100. Other stories provide less genteel tales of drug cartels, terrorist organizations and other criminal syndicates financing themselves through systemic looting and the illicit antiquities trade.
Art is an attractive vehicle to launder money. It can be hidden or smuggled. Transactions often are private, and prices can be subjective and manipulated — as well as extremely high. According to The Globe and Mail:
Once purchased, the art can disappear from view for years, even decades. A lot of the art bought at auctions goes to freeports – ultra-secure warehouses for the collections of millionaires and billionaires, ranging from Picassos and gold to vintage Ferraris and fine wine. The freeports, which exist in Switzerland, Luxembourg and Singapore, offer a variety of tax advantages because the goods stored in them are technically in transit. The Economist magazine reported that the freeport near the Geneva airport alone is thought to hold $100 billion (U.S.) of art.
Once inside the freeport, the art can be sold privately and anonymously to other buyers. The art need never leave the warehouse after the private sale is completed.

Further, and as noted, other traditional vehicles for laundering money have become less attractive, thereby driving those who need a mechanism to launder large sums into the arms of the art world. As we repeatedly have blogged, one of the most time-honored and relatively convenient vehicles for laundering — real estate — is under intense scrutiny and now is subject in the U.S. to the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (“FinCEN”)’s ongoing Geographic Targeting Orders (these require U.S. title insurance companies in many parts of the U.S. to identify the natural persons behind legal entities used in purchases of residential real estate involving $300,000 or more and performed without a bank loan or similar form of external financing).
Of course, certain countries already impose AML regulations on the art world. The European Union Commission issued its 5th Anti-Money Laundering Directive in June 2018, which must be implemented by Member States by January 2020, and which in part expands its coverage of “obliged entities” to persons trading in art, acting as intermediaries in the trade of art, or storing art in freeports, if the value of the transaction or a group of linked transactions equals €10,000 or more. In the United States, although the BSA already applies to dealers in precious metals, stones and jewels, and thereby requires them to file Suspicious Activity Reports and comply with other AML obligations, no such rules currently apply to U.S. dealers in art.

If the BSA is extended to apply to dealers in art and antinquities, FinCEN can expect a robust notice and comment period for the implementing regulations. Further, when proposing such regulations, FinCEN might draw upon some existing AML guidelines for the art trade, including those from two not-for-profit groups — one independent, the other supported by industry. We explore those guidelines in the rest of this post.

Of course, beyond AML-related process concerns, any art dealer — just like any business person — always must remember that just about any financial transaction that involves proceeds known to have originated from illegal activity represents a criminal money laundering offense. Stated otherwise, even if the BSA is not expanded to include dealers in art and antiquities, those in the U.S. art industry still need to bear in mind, in extreme examples, the omnipresent federal criminal code. Sometimes, the provenance of the funds can be more critical than the provenance of the art.
Sometimes, the provenance of the funds can be more critical than the provenance of the art.

The Basel Institute Standards
The AML Standards for Art Market Operators (“AML Standards”) are set forth by the Basel Institute on Governance, an independent not-for-profit organization. Not surprisingly, the AML Standards adopt a “risk based” approach to establishing measures to mitigate money laundering risks, and further note that “mall businesses may not have the resources to address money-laundering risks in the same way that large auction houses or major dealers and galleries will have, and may have a different risk exposure.” The AML Standards are intended to apply to everone trading in art objects, and intermediaries between buyers and sellers. They also suggest that service industries supprting the trade in art objects that are already subject to AML laws, like financial institutions, should identify their clients and customers in the art trade “as higher risk as long as there are no internationally applicable standards.”

According to the AML Standards, a risk-based approach will address three risk categories: the client’s identity; the provenance of the art object; and — importantly — the origin of the buyer’s funds involved in the transaction. The art dealer should establish a risk profile which considers the following non-exhaustive list:
Countries where sales are conducted;
Jurisdictions where the art dealer obtains its inventory;
Markets;
Delivery channels;
Services offered to clients;
Types of transactions;
Client profiles;
The location of contracting parties;
The source of funds;
Financing methods; and
The value of the art objects.

Consistent with general AML principles, the AML Standards stress that beneficial ownership may be obscured behind multiple layers of intermediaries, such as shell companies or offshore companies involving trusts. The AML Standards further provide a list of possible red flags for identifying increased risks of money laundering presented by a client that:
Is evasive or reluctant to provide adequate information relating to their identity or property or provides information which appears to be false;
Insists on paying in cash (perhaps with a de minimis limit) or anonymous credit or cash cards;
Asks detailed questions about procedures for reporting suspicious activity and/or financial matters to tax authorities;
Knowingly wishes to sell at an artificially low or inflated price;
Makes multiple low value cash payments for a single or connected transactions;
Suggests unusually complicated structures for achieving a purchase or sale;
Is a Politically Exposed Person (PEP) or closely connected to a PEP, e.g. government officials or persons who hold a prominent public function;
Is known to be (or associated with) a person subject to criminal or regulatory investigation, prosecution or conviction; or
Lives, operates or banks in a higher risk jurisdiction such as countries where drug trafficking, terrorism and/or corruption are prevalent or where tax and money laundering regulations are less stringent.

Finally, and emphasizing their non-binding nature, the AML Standards urge art dealers to report transactions to the authorities when the “source of funds give rise to grounded suspicions of money laundering and in the absence of plausible explanation.”

The Responsible Art Market Standards
The Responsible Art Market, or RAM, is an industry-supported not-for-profit organization which describes itself as ‘”[r]aising awareness of risks faced by the art industry and providing practical guidance on establishing and implementing responsible practices to address those risks.” On its website, RAM provides both an Art Transaction Due Diligence Toolkit, as well as Guidelines on Combatting Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing (“AML Guidelines”). The AML Guidelines are similar to the protocols set forth by the Basel Institute, but provide slightly more concrete detail. They set forth eight basic principles:
Guideline 1 – Do a risk assessment of your business and apply risk based measures;
Guideline 2 – Know and comply with the laws where you are doing business and be alert to “red flags;”
Guideline 3 – Know Your Clients (KYC) and establish their risk profiles – Check for client red flags;
Guideline 4 – Research the artwork, its ownership and provenance – Check for artwork red flags;
Guideline 5 – Know the background and purpose of transaction – Check for transaction red flags;
Guideline 6 – Keep records;
Guideline 7 – Train staff and monitor processes and procedures; and
Guideline 8 – If grounded suspicions exist, know how to act.

When addressing the KYC procedures under Guideline 3, the AML Guidelines explain that establishing a client’s risk profile will require an art business to obtain information on the client; understand the purpose and intended nature of the transaction; and understand the client’s source of wealth and how they acquired their art collection. The AML Guidelines also stress the need to identify beneficial ownership, “even if the contracting client raises confidentiality concerns,” and note that the art business “may also choose to include appropriate warranties and representations in their agreements with their clients to emphasise the importance of this point.” Further, art businesses should peform due diligence on intermediaries, such as art advisors or brokers, acting for one of the parties to a transaction.

When addressing the efforts to establish an artwork’s provenance history and authenticity under Guideline 4, the AML Guidelines provide that “t is important to obtain and publish in any catalogue or sales document as much information as possible about the artwork, including any known provenance,” and to “check major databases of stolen and looted art and obtain any relevant and available legal documents, witness declarations, [and] expert opinions[.]” In addition to a physical examination of the artwork and a technical analysis and dating of the materials used, “[d]ocuments helpful in establishing ownership and provenance include invoices, receipts, dated photographs, insurance records, valuations, official records, exhibition catalogues, invoices for restoration work, diaries, dated newspaper articles, original signed and dated letters.”

The AML Guidelines set forth three basic issues when a dealer seeks to learn the background and purpose of a transaction in order to check for potential red flags under Guideline 5: the purpose of the transaction; the form and structure of the transaction; and the source of funds. The AML Guidelines state:
The Art Business should examine the client’s background and purpose behind the contemplated transaction. For example, are the artworks being sold by the client consistent with what is known about the client’s collection? Is the level at which the client is selling or buying consistent with their past transactions and what is known about their professional activities and personal wealth? If not, the Art Business may want to ask the client for further information.

. . . .
Art Businesses should also consider the form of the transaction, such as whether the transaction is taking place through intermediaries, face to face, entirely via the Internet, over the phone, or by any other similar non face to face means. In some circumstances, depending on the nature, value and/or geographic location of the transaction, enhanced due diligence may be appropriate.

In regards to the critical issue of the source of the funds, the AML Guidelines “encourage” art businesses “to decline payments from a third party who is not their client and buyer of record. If there are legitimate reasons why it is justified for the Art Business to accept payment from a third party, before doing so the Art Business should conduct enhanced due diligence on both their buyer of record and the third party payer[.]” The AML Guidelines also articulate a “preference” for art businesses only “to accept payments from reputable banks in jurisdictions subject to AML regulation and supervision. Such reputable banks and financial institutions are generally subject to a high degree of AML regulation. That said[,] Art Businesses should remain vigilent and not rely entirely on the fact that banks and financial institutions will have carried out the necessary checks and verification to be satisfied that the source of funds is clean.”

Finally, under Guideline 6, the AML Guidelines provides that art businesses must maintain adequate records of their due diligence efforts. Perhaps stating the obvious, but perhaps also implicitly acknowledging the existence of practices by certain dealers, the AML Guidelines observe that “[a]ll documents issued by an Art Business in connection with a transaction (e.g. valuations, sale and purchase agreements, invoices, shipping documents, import / export declarations etc.) should be true, accurate and contemporaneous and represent the honestly held professional opinions of the Art Business.” Likewise, dealers “should refuse all requests from clients to alter, back date, falsify or otherwise provide incomplete or misleading documentation or information relating to a transaction. If there are legitimate reasons for altering a document (e.g. invoicing error etc.) the circumstances and justification should be fully documented and retained on file for future reference and audit.”
Copyright © by Ballard Spahr LLP

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Look at these YouTube guys that buy a new off road vehicle @$35k and take them out and demolish them.

Money to burn I guess.

With enough views and followers, this business model can make sense.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
With enough views and followers, this business model can make sense.

My daughter follows two guys that got started doing stupid shit on YouTube.

They are both multi millionaires now. Giving away Fararri's and all kinna crazy high end stunts now.

YouTube has been a game changer for sure.

Bojingles

Reaction score
The art world has always been weird this way. Something is worth whatever someone will pay. Plus a lot of criminals use "art sales" as a way to launder money from what I've heard.

2Driver

Reaction score
The movie "Pecker" is great. Its even more funny if you are from Baltimore.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Every time I hear about stupid modern artI always think of the great movie Bevery Hills Cop when Axel Foley goes to visit his friend at the art gallery.

Damn this scene is funny and the piece of art he is looking at is similar pricing to the banana art!!!! :D

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
Went to a client's house a couple weeks ago. He’s an art collector and dealer. He had this on his wall. It’s behind a glass protector that’s why it has a glare. If you’re into art, you’ll know what this is and more importantly how much it’s worth.

IMG_7046.jpg

I see the pieces he sells and the people who buy them. It’s amazing how much money people spend on “Art”.

WildHorses24

Reaction score
Went to a client's house a couple weeks ago. He’s an art collector and dealer. He had this on his wall. It’s behind a glass protector that’s why it has a glare. If you’re into art, you’ll know what this is and more importantly how much it’s worth.

View attachment 823840

I see the pieces he sells and the people who buy them. It’s amazing how much money people spend on “Art”.

Pretty cool. He was the artist that sold a painting at auction for $12m and when the hammer feel the painting started shredding itself through the bottom of the frame!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
Pretty cool. He was the artist that sold a painting at auction for $12m and when the hammer feel the painting started shredding itself through the bottom of the frame!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes that correct. That one sold for $1.2 million. The one I posted is worth more than that.

Here's the story about the shredded painting. If you watch the video, it shows how he setup the mechanism to do it.

spectras only

Reaction score
Artsy fartsy people are nutsy with too much money.:p

My good friend Anthony whom I worked together at Creo for a long time, used to jam locally in Vancouver, playing his own songs he wrote. Extremely good left hand guitar player, with a gift of talent. One day he totally left music and started painting. I introduced Anthony to a friend who was a well known Canadian painter, Bob Genn. Bob's paintings are well known in the art world and fetch big money. He used to fly into remote area by helicopter, camping out for weeks finding inspiration for his landscape painting.
Bob mentioned Anthony to me, saying that Anthony developed a unique painting style.
Fast forward, here's Anthony today.http://www.hollensteinartgallery.com/events

Bob passed away sadly years ago, having pancreatic cancer, RIP
Some of his paintings here https://www.google.com/search?q=Can...mAhVtGjQIHaUgB5kQ_B0wCnoECAsQAw#imgrc=_&vet=1

Last edited:

SoCalDave

Reaction score
LMAO
Just heard on the news that some idiot walked up to the painting, If that's what you call it, peeled the tape off the banana and ate it. :eek:

Last edited:

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
... The girl I have had quite an interest in for the last few years turns out she took up painting three years ago and she is really good I think she’s got me way out talented...
..Nuther friend is an art collector and I look at his paintings that he says are worth a lot of money and I don’t get it...said girl I’ve been chasing says... it’s very simple when you look at it ...you either like it or you don’t... Makes sense to me...

ssc

Reaction score
Photography is a hobby of mine. There are many photo's that have sold for large sums that leave me and many of my pals scratching our head. The following picture sold for 4.3 mil and none of us get it?????
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhein_II

Cheers, Steve

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
The seller would probably do better if it was a 10 mm socket.

It is a 10mm wrench though, and shows the socio-economic struggles of the pre digital revolution and a society coming of age conflicted by its self awareness.

If you can’t see that you must be blind!

A 10mm socket would just be a socket taped to a wall.

outboardrick

Reaction score
Diamonds are the same way..... Diamonds are really quite common and were not thought of as valuable, until DeBeers basically got a monopoly on mining and restricted the availability. DeBeers then launched a huge marketing campaign telling everyone how special they are, thus increasing their value and importance.

Bojingles

Reaction score

View attachment 823840

Is that a freakin Banksy??? Holy crap.