WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

iPad gps setup

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
This is What came in the car and the square on the end of it is very small maybe an inch and a half square. I have a 10 inch iPad that I want amount upfront somewhere for GPS etc.

What would be the best set up and case for the iPad??

111E9AC9-D714-4C42-8533-824A932858EC.jpeg

McKay

Reaction score
Look at Ram mounts. Very secure. I think the EZ-Rollr style cradle might work with that bolt layout.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
I use this. Works well, never a problem.

RAM Universal Tablet Cradle (RAM-HOL-TAB10U): Lifeproof Case for Apple iPad Mounting

Rbcconst

Reaction score
From my understanding the ipad needs to be cellular ready or service ready. Doesnt have to be on a plan but you cant use any ipad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
From my understanding the ipad needs to be cellular ready or service ready. Doesnt have to be on a plan but you cant use any ipad.

Well I already have the two iPads and they are both on a plan anyways so why not use em?

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Well I already have the two iPads and they are both on a plan anyways so why not use em?

I think what he was implying was if you have an iPad that isnt "cellular service capable", and only wifi, it wont see GPS.

Since yours are on a plan, they will see GPA (even if you stop paying the plan).

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I think what he was implying was if you have an iPad that isnt "cellular service capable", and only wifi, it wont see GPS.

Since yours are on a plan, they will see GPA (even if you stop paying the plan).

gotcha

jesco

Reaction score
I am a HUGE fan of LeadNav. VERY simple, literally connect the dots while sitting at home on the couch, stick it in the car and off and running. Super easy to share maps/routes as well, airdrop it to anybody with iPad or iPhone. Can email it to people with Lawrence as a .GPX file and they can load them as well. I have planned 300 miles trips and never had an issue other than a road being washed out and had to find alternate route around. My son created a route for us once a few years ago when he was 10, its that simple to use. A lot of race teams use it for taking notes while prerunning.

Rbcconst

Reaction score

Thats all you need! Some say the ipads are better then the lowrance systems for the average user.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gqchris

Reaction score
I am a HUGE fan of LeadNav. VERY simple, literally connect the dots while sitting at home on the couch, stick it in the car and off and running. Super easy to share maps/routes as well, airdrop it to anybody with iPad or iPhone. Can email it to people with Lawrence as a .GPX file and they can load them as well. I have planned 300 miles trips and never had an issue other than a road being washed out and had to find alternate route around. My son created a route for us once a few years ago when he was 10, its that simple to use. A lot of race teams use it for taking notes while prerunning.

X2. Its what I use. Super Easy once you get the hang of it.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I'm curious why you don't just use your phone?

I want to be able to look at it while I’m driving. My phone screen is so small that I have to hold it right in front of my face to see it

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If possible I’m looking for a complete set up from roll cage to the tablet so I can just order it while I’m driving home

Sandlord

Reaction score
I think you could machine a nice billet iPad holder that matches the hole pattern on that mount.
I tried using an ipad for a GPS years ago, but the glare was terrible.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I want to be able to look at it while I’m driving. My phone screen is so small that I have to hold it right in front of my face to see it

You can't just look across the desert and see where you're going?? lol

It's not like you're looking for a certian street to turn on and shit...

:p

2Driver

Reaction score

Haha. Thats what I dont get. I have every trip in my head and like to know the area by feel and sight and use the gps in case I have a question.
Unless you are running the baja 500 for the life of me I cant see staring at it on ride, you might as well as stay home and play baja 1000 on playstation :D

Buggydave

Reaction score
As long as the ipad/android tablet has GPS built in, your ok. Don't need service as they will just use the GPS antenna. The mounts you have look to be from Axia Allloys. Go to there website to be sure and you should just be able to get an adapter, or RAM adapter to what you have.

dezrtracer

Reaction score
That looks like an awesome solution, but it looks like that controller Dave has (for the stereo I guess?) May preclude that mount

Can you move whatever that controller is @RiverDave?

Good eye I didn't even notice that controller . Looks like they both can't work together...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I get lost in a bathroom Noe.. lol. Plus I go out a lot at night and explore. Nice to see where you have been and where you haven’t..

Haha. Thats what I dont get. I have every trip in my head and like to know the area by feel and sight and use the gps in case I have a question.
Unless you are running the baja 500 for the life of me I cant see staring at it on ride, you might as well as stay home and play baja 1000 on playstation :D

I don’t stare at it.. lol. Like I said earlier I get lost pretty easy, and the trails around Havasu are like spaghetti.. plus there’s cool little things like a fire pit I found etc.. even with a gps you have to wind your way into it to find it etc.. cool place to have beers and a fire near bison but not have anyone else around at the same time etc.. further out I had all sorts of things saved in my rangers gps.l that I found on accident etc

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

I kinna liked ATV Off-road Fury myself.

;)

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
funny to think in the 80’s we would start at standard wash end up in the bill williams, Swansea or Wikieup and not have a gps, cell phone or yeti cooler. Many times ending back at highway 95 way after dark.

But now we have things like electricity and running water! :)

Flatsix66

Reaction score
How does that attach to the roll cage?
Your mount looks like a universal AMPS pattern, I think Garmin uses that. For a bolt up RAM mount setup you would need this https://www.amazon.com/Contains-Universal-Pattern-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B004O8LF26 for the RAM ball then or something beefier. The Case holder https://www.amazon.com/RAM-Tab-Lock...case+for+lifeproof+ipad&qid=1575948109&sr=8-7. A double socket arm https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Compos...TX49NMNB6DG&psc=1&refRID=6MD75TQXCTX49NMNB6DG. And the lifepro case for the iPad https://www.lifeproof.com/en-us/app...Kt3Z1YIQA6wBkqXgxFZ4qZGb-4vjRpIYaAm0hEALw_wcB

One2go

Reaction score
Mob armor has cool mini mount package and there app says don't need service for there mapping,I bought the mounts going to et the app soon

intense

Reaction score
I have the Mob Armor app and it works great

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I get lost in a bathroom Noe.. lol. Plus I go out a lot at night and explore. Nice to see where you have been and where you haven’t..

I don’t stare at it.. lol. Like I said earlier I get lost pretty easy, and the trails around Havasu are like spaghetti.. plus there’s cool little things like a fire pit I found etc.. even with a gps you have to wind your way into it to find it etc.. cool place to have beers and a fire near bison but not have anyone else around at the same time etc.. further out I had all sorts of things saved in my rangers gps.l that I found on accident etc

If your sense of direction Really is that bad...

You should never ever go to Glamis. :oops:

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
And I'm sure all the "We don't need no GPS!" guys have an Alexa or other smart home device to turn the lights on and off for them in their house because they don't know where the light switches are. ;)

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
And I'm sure all the "We don't need no GPS!" guys have an Alexa or other smart home device to turn the lights on and off for them in their house because they don't know where the light switches are. ;)

Try this on for size. I use it on my phone. It's a bit pricey, but it includes topo maps (and a number of others) for the entire US. Plan your routes on your computer and download em to your phone. Or tablet if you prefer...

https://www.viewranger.com/en-us

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Try this on for size. I use it on my phone. It's a bit pricey, but it includes topo maps (and a number of others) for the entire US. Plan your routes on your computer and download em to your phone. Or tablet if you prefer...

https://www.viewranger.com/en-us

I may try one of those on my next car. That is pretty much what I do now with Google Earth and my Lowrance. It has Wifi, but I don't know if I can "send" trails to it, I have never tired. I just copy them to an SD card, and pop the car into the Lowrance unit.

The downside is that I use Google Earth on a laptop. The idea of doing it all on the tablet or phone is nice. Again, it just all depends on what you are comfortable with or what works for you. For hiking or biking, just using it on the phone is probably fine.

PlanB

Reaction score
funny to think in the 80’s we would start at standard wash end up in the bill williams, Swansea or Wikieup and not have a gps, cell phone or yeti cooler. Many times ending back at highway 95 way after dark.

In the Army we flew at night with NVG’s using only topical maps to navigate. The first GPS I used was in 1990 in the desert in the Middle East. It seemed like some magical shit. Lol...

2Driver

Reaction score
In the Army we flew at night with NVG’s using only topical maps to navigate. The first GPS I used was in 1990 in the desert in the Middle East. It seemed like some magical shit. Lol...

No kidding.

In 1996 I bought one of the early big Garmin handhelds for for my wife for flying. Garmin 195. Even pilots on commercial flights wanted to come back and check it out.

LOL It was $1,000

Dana757

Reaction score

The non cellular just need an external GPS antenna. That's what I use and it's flawless.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
I ride in the cerbats, peacock and Hualapai mountains and if you follow trail s and washes for a while and even pay attention to landmarks, on the way back nothing looks the same. You’re like “where the hell are we.”:p

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I may try one of those on my next car. That is pretty much what I do now with Google Earth and my Lowrance. It has Wifi, but I don't know if I can "send" trails to it, I have never tired. I just copy them to an SD card, and pop the car into the Lowrance unit.

The downside is that I use Google Earth on a laptop. The idea of doing it all on the tablet or phone is nice. Again, it just all depends on what you are comfortable with or what works for you. For hiking or biking, just using it on the phone is probably fine.

It's good because it uses just the GPS on your phone. No cell service required. :thumbup:

Dana757

Reaction score
What antenna did you use? Never thought about repurposing an old ipad.
I use the Dual XGP160. The 150 is a little less money but the 160 connects to 5 devices and has faster update rates. Pretty cool you can see the satellites it's connected to on a phone app. Never seen it connected to less then 6 US and 6 Russian at any time.

Taboma

Reaction score
I ride in the cerbats, peacock and Hualapai mountains and if you follow trail s and washes for a while and even pay attention to landmarks, on the way back nothing looks the same. You’re like “where the hell are we.”:p

Peacocks are CLOSED :p

gqchris

Reaction score
Just learned that RDP membership is exclusive to owning your homes outright, never financing a toy, 850 FICOs, and you must also be able to navigate via the stars and sun.:D