WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

My meditation.. Towing trailers and driving RVs

traquer

Reaction score
I find it therapeutic to drive large vehicles... Is it just me? I'm usually an aggressive driver but the increased focus and attention required, plus knowing that I have no choice but to drive slower with the trailer puts my mind at ease.

Or maybe it's just that I'm pulling a toy, and am on vacation lol

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
I love towing stuff too. Ill just randomly tow crap around just for fun. I pretend its like taking my truck to the Gym for a workout. :) I get severe enjoyment out of pushing a vehicle to its limits, whether with a trailer, on the dirt, etc.

Its just a continuation of being a kid.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Totally agree! I actually miss towing the boat out to Havasu now that I keep it there. I think driving a boat, pulling a trailer, driving a commercial vehicle etc. is like a real live video game. Someone said focus. Life is simple when dealing with those type of issues. You must concentrate and perform, or you crash. Simple.

spectras only

Reaction score
If I won the lottery, I'll by the baddest Marathon coach and drive it across Canada and the US, non stop, staying maybe two days at my destinations.:)

Your ad here

Reaction score
When I was 16-18 I felt like a badass towing something and made any excuse to tow. Now I hate it and avoid it as much as I can. Tired of dealing with blowouts, lights not working, parking, beating the truck up, trailer pulling the truck around, brakes not working, people hitting the trailer because they don't look over when changing lanes after my truck passes, broken welds, community trailers suck because they always get picked clean of the chains and whatever else.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I agree, don't know what it is but hitching up your shit and pulling it around the block is like "oh yea....."

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
There is a sense of calm and adventure when loaded up and heading to your weekend or vacation destination for sure. I enjoy the trip as well as the final destination, way better than
doing nothing at home.

ramos45

Reaction score
It's always interesting seeing reactions when I'm towing the boat through town. The gunnels are around 7ft tall while on the trailer so it appears huge.

Like someone said earlier, I like it because it makes you focus more than usual and I like feeling that I'm capable of doing what I'm doing and doing it right.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
When I was 16-18 I felt like a badass towing something and made any excuse to tow. Now I hate it and avoid it as much as I can. Tired of dealing with blowouts, lights not working, parking, beating the truck up, trailer pulling the truck around, brakes not working, people hitting the trailer because they don't look over when changing lanes after my truck passes, broken welds, community trailers suck because they always get picked clean of the chains and whatever else.

This x1000

Halvecto

Reaction score
Agreed. It's a strange satisfaction looking in your mirrors regularly to see how the boat looks in tow. Doesn't change for miles and miles and we still look at the rear-view mirror to check it out. Probably same kinda reason, as little boys, we liked playing with Tonka trucks and hot wheels. I can see how @Rvrluvr would see it differently when it's a job.

I watch Heavy Rescue: 401 and Highway thru Hell on Discovery channel. My wife can't figure out why I am interested in watching trucks pull around other smashed trucks. I'm sure tow-truck work gets old and is dangerous, but there is a part of me that would also enjoy the challenge of the big jobs.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I'd love to try driving a semi truck. It always has seemed cool to me. I always enjoy driving out to the lake or road trips. When the wife/kids fall asleep I usually just turn off the radio and zone out.

rush1

Reaction score
I'm the same way I dont care where we go as long as I can drive my 40' diesel pusher I'm happy , the longest I've driven it without getting out of the drivers seat was from Palmdale Ca to Fort Stockton Texas ! I didn't even realize i had until my wife said something about it LOL :p

zbudman

Coors Light Strong
Reaction score
I'm usually in a hurry and an impatient driver. Not when i 'm towing though. It's nice to relax knowing you're headed to the lake/river. Even the slow pokes camped out in the fast lane don't bother me as much.

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
I'm on pins and needles towing someone else's toys. My own garbage, no problem.
20190124_135503.jpg

Dragging 15k lbs 1700 miles can be a bit stressful.

Pulling a 3200# toy 2k miles to go boating is a joy.
IMG_9345.JPG

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I'm on pins and needles towing someone else's toys. My own garbage, no problem. View attachment 824034

Dragging 15k lbs 1700 miles can be a bit stressful.

Pulling a 3200# toy 2k miles to go boating is a joy. View attachment 824036

Yeah I get that.
Kinda along the same thought just an hour ago two chicks knocked on my RV Door.
Their Car was stuck balls deep, pinned between 2 berms in a wash and asked if I could tow them out.

Puts a lot of strain on those cars freeing them. Especially unibodies when they are undercarriage deep stuck. They are aluminum cans with wheels.

I’m concerned I may damage their vehicle but then I don’t wanna be a dick and not help.

It’s easy I got them out but starting to have second thoughts about doing this.

Last edited:

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Yeah I get that.
Kinda along the same thought just an hour ago two chicks knocked on my RV Door.
Their Car was stuck balls deep in a wash and asked if I could tow them out.

Puts a lot of strain on those cars freeing them. Especially unibodies when they are undercarriage deep stuck. They are aluminum cans with wheels.

I’m concerned I may damage their vehicle but then I don’t wanna be a dick and not help.

It’s easy I got them out but starting to have second thoughts about doing this.
You'll hate the day when you rip the tow slots out.......

Btdt...

Reactions: TPC

riverroyal

Reaction score
Im good with towing also. Guess i never thought about it. Doesn't both me one bit

Reactions: TPC

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
(When we had our RV)...to me there was nothing better than loading the kids up the night before and letting them sleep in the RV and then heading out at O-dark hundred. My favorite thing was to be able to watch the sunrise when I was driving to the river with everyone still zonked out.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I’m convinced it’ll be that dizzy chick in a invisible grey Prius that takes us out while you’re merging into and your dicks half way in into the slow lane as she decides to pass on the right.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I’m convinced it’ll be that dizzy chick in a invisible grey Prius that takes us out while you’re merging into and you’re balls deep into the slow lane as she decides to pass on the right.

lol

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I enjoy towing. I calculated I put about 3500mi on the trailer this year, we were all over the southeast US.

I think it's the vacation thing, and the open road.

once I get in some traffic, I am over it haha.
Haha yep I’m the same! Sitting in traffic and having to merge sucks, although I usually just put the blinker on and start moving over, everyone else can figure out where to go.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I don't mind towing, or driving big trucks...so long as I'm on the highway. The only time I get sketchy is when in town on city streets. Even then, it's really only with the big goosenecks. People in cities like to ignore the turnsignal, and figure there's enough room to sneak by on the right:eek: Haven't squished one yet, but come close a time or three.

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
Anyone wanna meditate & drive me around while I nap just pm me....we laeve 3:00am everyday :D
61637D00-5575-4C3E-A205-8D6444068744.jpeg

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I loved towing with my Ram CTD.

Something about setting the cruise control, and hearing the turbo pushing 30psi while that inline-6 pulled like a train put me in my happy place [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

yard dog

Reaction score

G. Faulk

Reaction score
My last 4 trips to the Bahamas I towed to and from. I break it up, get it there, have a fun 3 days in Miami-Lauderdale-boat trip to the keys, fly home and work for a month, then back for the trip and tow it home. I'll admit the trip there is better then the trip home. Like the first post, full therapeutic, I highly recommend trying it if you ever have the chance. Something about towing your shit responsibly and seeing the sites crossing the US. I recommend the 40 over and down, the 10 sucks.

Driving the RV, sitting hi with a big ole windshield don't suck either, totally catching what your dropping.