WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The State has about eight hours to fire me...

C-2

Reaction score
Otherwise, my 2-year probationary period is over and I can assume the role of a normal State employee and act like a turd!

Kidding on acting like a turd part, but at least now I will be able to push back a little on their "performance goals" without fear of reprimand.

Anybody else currently working with a guillotine over their head?

Cheers :)

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Otherwise, my 2-year probationary period is over and I can assume the role of a normal State employee and act like a turd!

Kidding on acting like a turd part, but at least now I will be able to push back a little on their "performance goals" without fear of reprimand.

Did it for about a year at a large school district. Funny, after being there for 5 as a permanent, I wasn't at all sad to be cut during layoffs. Never had been around stuff like that... I think I prefer to have my own, "hand on the lever". The holidays and benni's were nicer though;)

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Let me let you in on a dirty little secret... The process for removing a probationary employee is the exact same as a person who is past the probationary period. According to my HR dept.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
In my work, we start each day shift with a conference call where we are reminded that we could be terminated at any minute...both as a third party company and/or as individual employees. It’s the nature of the business.
Having my job threatened is the number one reason I quit jobs and different company’s in my oilfield career.
Some (not most, but some) client reps (company man on the drilling rig) are under so much pressure they constantly rag on everyone, they transfer their fear downstream. Threatening and yelling all the time.
I don’t listen to it very long at my age and years on the job.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score

Lol.. 24/7.

RodnJen

Reaction score

My guess is you will still be an at-will employee at your level. They made it crystal clear to me, they can can me at anytime they see fit.

dribble

Reaction score
They can’t fire you now unless they have documented a pattern of incompetence and unwillingness along with attempts at training.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Congratulations!

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Let me let you in on a dirty little secret... The process for removing a probationary employee is the exact same as a person who is past the probationary period. According to my HR dept.
While that has been true watching my employer trying to remove dip shits during their probationary period at my work, I have seen the exact opposite happen to someone twice. Both times were because, "it wasn't working out". One time a lawyer was consulted, the other the union was brought in. Neither time did it go this person's way.

C-2

Reaction score
Did it for about a year at a large school district. Funny, after being there for 5 as a permanent, I wasn't at all sad to be cut during layoffs. Never had been around stuff like that... I think I prefer to have my own, "hand on the lever". The holidays and benni's were nicer though;)

It's different for sure, especially having worked for myself from a home office for over 20-years.

C-2

Reaction score
Every day.

What I'm finding is that it's way easier than being responsible for collections, marketing, website building and SEO, customer service and sometimes even, actual work. Lol

How about you, what's your take as an "employee."

C-2

Reaction score
They can’t fire you now unless they have documented a pattern of incompetence and unwillingness along with attempts at training.

That's my understanding too.

I started State service at the entry level. Then, shortly before my probation was up, I was encouraged (bullied) to promote to the senior position even though I was still learning my first position. So, it was probation for another year on pins and needles.

Although it would be hard for them to fire me, they could have rejected my probation and demoted me back down to the entry level position, which they have done to others in the past.

So I think I'm good to go.

Now that I cleared probation and my daughter is driving her own car, I am free to pursue other agencies and opportunities, at different locations, within the State.

:)

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
When I read the title of this thread I thought that Joe Biden was giving the state an ultimatum about your employment.

Kidding aside, I worked half of my life as a contractor so any customer that wanted me gone could pull the lever anytime, for any reason. As a contractor you have to prove your worth every day.

boatpi

Reaction score
Congrats. As a state employee only have to do is show up to work on time every day be sober, stay out of serious trouble, do the competent work that is a sign for you enjoy your paycheck once a month.

You be surprised how many people can’t show up to work on time every day and do the work that is assigned to them, that’s why they’re not government employees. That’s the number one requirement a lot of people don’t care to abide by those basic rules, I get that.

No dis to anyone but this is the basics to be a government employee.

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score

Sounds like it's time to get a beer...….

Yellowboat

Reaction score
What I'm finding is that it's way easier than being responsible for collections, marketing, website building and SEO, customer service and sometimes even, actual work. Lol

How about you, what's your take as an "employee."

2 things that stand out the most

1 i dont have to track people down to get them to pay up.

2 i have all this free time. 60 hours was a short week before.

I hate not working with my hands and some of people i have to deal with are real liberal pos. Comes with the wholr green energy thing.

K-DOG

Reaction score

This is definitely not the case for a government agency. If an employee is on probation you can basically fail them for anything without much cause. If they already passed probation good luck. It is a long drawn out process of progressive discipline and the employee usually has appeal rights every step of the way. That is why you find so many bad government employees. They do just enough to keep their jobs and their supervisors don't want to go through all the work to get rid of them when it might get overturned anyways.

Reactions: C-2

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
This is definitely not the case for a government agency. If an employee is on probation you can basically fail them for anything without much cause. If they already passed probation good luck. It is a long drawn out process of progressive discipline and the employee usually has appeal rights every step of the way. That is why you find so many bad government employees. They do just enough to keep their jobs and their supervisors don't want to go through all the work to get rid of them when it might get overturned anyways.

If an employee is on probation you can basically fail them for anything without much cause. If they already passed probation good luck.

That is what I always thought until I actually tried to remove an new employee while they were on probation. Then I found out that you still have to take them through the full process... This is for a municipal utility which most would consider government. I am a hiring and firing manager so I am only relaying my personal experience. If you or others have removed probationary employee without cause then your experience doesn't match mine and it is what it is.

78Southwind

Reaction score
Congrats on the retirement ;)

That's some funny stuff right there. I had a friend of mine that wanted to be a Fireman. He volunteered for a couple years and then he was a Reserve Firefighter for years. It was getting really close to him becoming to old to be a Fireman (I think 34 years old). They hired him just before the age limit. I came over to his house to congratulate him and as soon as I saw him he opened a Beer and said, this is to retirement. :D

C-2

Reaction score
I made it, lol.

Thanks for all the well wishes!

On the HR deal, I was hired from "the outside," so rejection of my first probation would have been termination. All of my co-workers came over from other state departments, so if they failed probation, then they would demote back to their old positions since the current position is viewed as a raise/step up. I didn't have that safety net.

On the retirement - it's post pension reform and I'm 53-years old. Any pension I may receive will be marginal at best, and that's if I work until age 70.

woot woot :)

Hdgasser

Reaction score
Nope.... take an act of god to shit can my ass. Or just like literally stop showing up.

I'm not a rich man by any means but f you wanna work 20hrs of OT or 1600hrs of OT a year you can. I like and enjoy MOST of my job. Show up every day, on time suited and booted, and I'll retire from this joint with a couple bux in my pocket to enjoy retirement.

C-2

Reaction score
if you wanna work 20hrs of OT or 1600hrs of OT a year you can.

Whaaaaa? I wish. I would be all over that, too.

Not at our agency, no OT ever. Thus, the reason why I am typing reports on my own time at 9:00 p.m. Fawk, they audit gas pump logs to make sure we're only pumping 87 and not 89!

Maybe I should find a new job, lol. :)

Hdgasser

Reaction score
Whaaaaa? I wish. I would be all over that, too.

Not at our agency, no OT ever. Thus, the reason why I am typing reports on my own time at 9:00 p.m. Fawk, they audit gas pump logs to make sure we're only pumping 87 and not 89!

Maybe I should find a new job, lol. :)

Hahahaha it's not always about money, enjoying what you do can be a HUGE part of the battle.. especially if tour gonna do it for the next 30 years like I have too lol

11 years in the plant, 35 years old.... 30 more years to go.... FML