WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Computer suggestions - Chrome book

HBCraig

Reaction score
The boy wants a Chrome Book for xmas.

I have a Microsoft Surface that I use now but I dont know much about the Chrome books.

Does anyone have a suggestion about what brand? What model? Goods and bads?

He wants a touchscreen as well.

thanks in advance.

bryzmon

Not a Member
Reaction score
Chromebook is good if his school is using all Google based apps and you can be online all the time. If Microsoft office, other games, offline use needed you should go PC or Mac.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
That’s his way of telling you he wants a full gaming rig so he can play fortnite 24-7.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
My FIL just bought my daughter an HP Chromebook. It is really nice and for the price, can't be beat. I have a Surface and love it, but wouldn't spend that kind of money for a kid.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Chromebook is good if his school is using all Google based apps and you can be online all the time. If Microsoft office, other games, offline use needed you should go PC or Mac.

This is why my daughter got a Chromebook. All the schools in Temecula Unified use Google apps and in Elementary school, they learn on Chromebooks.

HBCraig

Reaction score
His school is using the aforementioned apps.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
We got a chrome book for our kids because it’s what they use in school. The cool thing is when they use their school sign in it mirrors the same firewall and blocks all the same websites that the school does. They are super cheap as well. We got ours at Costco

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Chromebooks are great for specific tasks. At our lab, we have been buying them for use at workstations that only need browser access. I think we have bought just cheap Samsung ones. If they break, they just get thrown away. Also, compared to a PC or Mac, to set up you just open up, connect to wireless and that is it.

Note though when college comes they will have to move to MS Office products. The 3 colleges (or at least their majors) my kids have gone to or are still in require it, but I think they all got it at no cost with a .edu email address.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I bought my daughter an HP, 14 inch screen chrome book. It is actually a neat little appliance for how most people use a computer. Touch screen. It is a tough little computer, but it does need connectivity to run much of anything.

Google Sheets and Docs work just like word and Excel, so switching over at some point isn't much of an issue IMHO.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
For those that aren't aware, and since I didn't see it mentioned, chromebooks need internet access to function because they have almost zero hard drive. It's essentially a cloud access point. Good and very affordable for what they are, but something to keep in mind.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
For those that aren't aware, and since I didn't see it mentioned, chromebooks need internet access to function because they have almost zero hard drive. It's essentially a cloud access point. Good and very affordable for what they are, but something to keep in mind.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Almost all of them have an SD card, if you need onboard storage.

Honestly though, the only time we've had an issue is in the airplane.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Check this one out, good reviews:

https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/t/13711247

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This or the Asus C425 below is one hell of a deal. I have an R11 i bought a couple of years back and its still my go-to for everything.
FWIW, if i need any of the MS Office modules, i log in to my work email through office 365 and use word and excel through that.

Link to the C425 for $299
https://www.walmart.com/ip/FHD-Stor...ickid=XqT3IS032xyORV9wUx0Mo34BUknyvdwK3UbrSI0

H2O

Reaction score

FWIW - I got the HP from Costco and it's def nice for $269, can't go wrong at that price.
But I'm coming of Mac products, so the keyboard felt a little "plasticy" and the screen-display is not great.

I ended up going with the Asus C434TA on sale for $399 at Costco Instead. (reg $549)
https://www.costco.com/asus-14"-c434ta-2-in-1-chromebook---intel-core-m3---1080p.product.100489718.html

The Asus is defiantly nicer than the HP. All metal body, much better display, smaller overall size due to edge to edge 14" screen. It's highly rated online and would recommend for anyone that wants a chromebook with an upmarket feel, for not too much $$$.

Last edited: