WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Prevost

badluck

Reaction score
Anybody here have one? I’ve often thought when I retire, I’d like to pick up a rockstar motor home to cruise the us in. I’d probably do this for a couple of years, possibly come home for a week or two every 4 months. Then sell it. Anyone have one of these badass Prevost diesel pushers?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I've driven some, and stayed in a couple, but haven't owned one...not yet at least. This was a while back though, the newer ones may be even nicer. I don't know how, but maybe?

Reaction score
Anybody here have one? I’ve often thought when I retire, I’d like to pick up a rockstar motor home to cruise the us in. I’d probably do this for a couple of years, possibly come home for a week or two every 4 months. Then sell it. Anyone have one of these badass Prevost diesel pushers?

When I retire, I plan on staying at hotels and resorts. :D

rush1

Reaction score
If you're only going to keep it a short time a Marathon or Liberty is the way to go, if you decide your going to keep it a long time a well documented and taken care of Royale coach will need less maintenance.The system are not as complicated as other coaches and they use more common rv manufactured parts so they are cheaper to repair, as far as the Prevost shell the maintenance cost are the same across the board.

spectras only

Reaction score
1904.jpg
Glorified Greyhound bus.J/K :p Buddy driven million miles on tour coaches alone, and the Prevost chassies [made in Canada ] are the best in his opinion.;)

Last edited:

Hydroman55

Reaction score
You better check insurance rates...Years ago almost bought a used one and just too much operational cost even when parked.
Also as said earlier some of the conversion companies use systems that are not commonly used RV off the shelf stuff. For example the OTR air conditioning set up is big bucks to maintain and repair.
One other point, buy with series 60 Detroit as compared to the old 2 cycle Detroit. Nice units can be bought for a 100k used with non series 60 and there’s a reason.

Last edited:

kiwi77

Reaction score

I looked at a few. Prevost can only be spec’d with Volvo power. Bought a Newell instead. Quality is superior in my opinion.

Last edited:

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Stay out of California and you can pick up some really nice older GM bus conversions.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
My folks owned one for many years. The wife and I took it on many trips too. They had very little trouble with it. The key is to keep them moving and not let them sit, using them once a year. It had great fit, finish and function. It was a handful to drive however. Dad used to joke that there wasn't a curb between Oregon and Florida that didn't have his rubber on it. Finding a place to park it was always a problem and you had to plan ahead. Mom and Dad wore out 3 motorhomes and were on their 4 when Dad past away. Every time they bought a new one, it got smaller. They ended up with a 28ft Mini Winne. They could go anywhere and stop anywhere. The wife and I are going through the same thing with our 42ft fith wheel. It has 30K miles on the road and I'm ready to go smaller when we get back on the road. Your life style changes once you get on the road. What you think is important, all of a sudden becomes a joke. If you wash dishes for the two of you every night, why do you need 16 of everything. Enjoy your retirement.

fmo24

Reaction score
As nice as the real buses drive I think some of the newer high end motorhomes have more functionality and livability. The floor plans are better suited to full time living with bath and 1/2 king size beds and such.
I should add if your budget allows you can have one customized to your needs and taste.

Universal Elements

Reaction score

Dkahnjob on here has one

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Rockstar/tour coaches are lived/in while being driven, so generally no slide-outs.

Something to consider...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Country Coach or Foretravel. Both high end coaches, albeit not as high end as Pevost, and you can find really nice early 2000's units that are pre-smog and have big engines for well under $150k. My 2000 40' Foretravel has a 450hp 1500 lbft big block Cummins in it (M11). Between the big block, the outboard air bags, the Allison transmission retarder (trans brake), and the disc brakes, the coach is a pleasure to drive. I can comfortably cruise at 80 mph towing a 10k enclosed once I get out of Cali.

kiwi77

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Country Coach or Foretravel. Both high end coaches, albeit not as high end as Pevost, and you can find really nice early 2000's units that are pre-smog and have big engines for well under $150k. My 2000 40' Foretravel has a 450hp 1500 lbft big block Cummins in it (M11). Between the big block, the outboard air bags, the Allison transmission retarder (trans brake), and the disc brakes, the coach is a pleasure to drive. I can comfortably cruise at 80 mph towing a 10k enclosed once I get out of Cali.

Loved my Country Coach!

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
My folks owned one for many years. The wife and I took it on many trips too. They had very little trouble with it. The key is to keep them moving and not let them sit, using them once a year. It had great fit, finish and function. It was a handful to drive however. Dad used to joke that there wasn't a curb between Oregon and Florida that didn't have his rubber on it. Finding a place to park it was always a problem and you had to plan ahead. Mom and Dad wore out 3 motorhomes and were on their 4 when Dad past away. Every time they bought a new one, it got smaller. They ended up with a 28ft Mini Winne. They could go anywhere and stop anywhere. The wife and I are going through the same thing with our 42ft fith wheel. It has 30K miles on the road and I'm ready to go smaller when we get back on the road. Your life style changes once you get on the road. What you think is important, all of a sudden becomes a joke. If you wash dishes for the two of you every night, why do you need 16 of everything. Enjoy your retirement.
...After many years of hitting the road I made a discovery... paper plates and plastic cups ...throwaway stuff ...no dishwashing required...thumbup...

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Sounds like an unnecessary compromise...YOLO

6qhjrwtwfcg11.jpg

i’ve had that happen once couldn’t get the slide in electrically. Thank God I had the manual rod. When I got home finally figured out it was one of the terminals that came loose on the 6 V battery. Went through all the batteries and installed some kick ass lockwashers and Loctite.

gqchris

Reaction score

Love my Minnie Winnie. Just does everything so well.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I looked at a few. Prevost can only be spec’d with Volvo power.
Volvo owns Prevost, annnnd, Volvo power is world class. Globally Volvo is the 2nd largest truck and bus manufacturer in the world. Mercedes is 1st. Volvo trucks in Europe, Australia and South America are considered high end. Very good stuff. Oh, and a Mack is a Volvo too. In the North American highway coach world Prevost is considered the best, with MCI and Van Hool fighting for most of the remainder.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
...After many years of hitting the road I made a discovery... paper plates and plastic cups ...throwaway stuff ...no dishwashing required...thumbup...

The campfire is our dishwasher.

RDs Dog was a Flintstones garbage disposal.
Half eaten chocolate eclairs with Jalapeño popper chasers washed down with Hawaiian Punch - Neva had an iron gut.
RDs Dog shit a railroad spike.

kiwi77

Reaction score
Volvo owns Prevost, annnnd, Volvo power is world class. Globally Volvo is the 2nd largest truck and bus manufacturer in the world. Mercedes is 1st. Volvo trucks in Europe, Australia and South America are considered high end. Very good stuff. Oh, and a Mack is a Volvo too. In the North American highway coach world Prevost is considered the best, with MCI and Van Hool fighting for most of the remainder.[/

Yeah we all know Volvo owns Prevost which is why you can only get Volvo power in one. Max horsepower of a D13 is 500. That’s not much when your pushing 50,000 + lbs. Add a tow vehicle or trailer and your not going up hills more that 35mph. When I asked the Prevost guy why don’t they offer a Cummins ISX 650 hp like Newell he said it won’t fit in a Prevost chassis.

badluck

Reaction score
I’m a few years out but it’s one of my dreams. I’d like to keep it around 450 range so I’m obviously buying used. This requires a class A license correct?

TripleB

Reaction score

I’ve owned motor homes for over 30 years and if money isn’t any issue buy a prevost you’ll be the king of the RV park.
But IMHO I think they are over priced for what you get. Most notably is the number of slides most are 2 or 3, then again how are you going to use it? Need the extra living area? How much are you going to trailer? How far will you be driving in one day? Another issue is getting someone to work on a prevost, having had a Newell it can at times be interesting.

if it were me and I’m guessing how you would use it, I’d go with a 45 quad slide, country coach Magna or Affinity, bath and a half floor plan

Again my opinion nothing more

Enen

Reaction score
I looked at a few. Prevost can only be spec’d with Volvo power. Bought a Newell instead. Quality is superior in my opinion.

Here is a vid of a quad-slide Volvo powered Prevost lining up against a Newell.

Here's a vid that Marathon Coach produced showing the differences between a motorhome chassis and a Prevost chassis.