WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

F***************k

SixD9R

Reaction score
Thats exactly what I said about 5 times before I gained my composure when this happened.

Caution slightly graphic photo below.

I was working in my garage hanging drywall on the walls. I had the better part of a sheet of 5/8 plywood screwed to the wall that I was removing to prep for the drywall) when I lost my grip and it dropped 3-4 feet right on my toes just behind the nail. I was wearing sneakers so little to no protection. The big toe took the brunt of the blow.
I didn’t sleep much at all last night because I’m in so much pain.
Not long after it happened, I did ice it for a while. If anyone has any suggestions on how to manage the pain it would be much appreciated.
Thanks!!

7037F260-BF6F-4AAE-9852-D34B03826BCE.jpeg

Last edited:

4Waters

Reaction score
SOB that looks painful, yes keep it elevated and lots of beer, whiskey, rum whatever seems to numb it best.

buck35

Reaction score
Dayum, that's gonna hurt for a while . :eek: stuffing that in a shoe or boot is not going to be any fun for several days. You might see a doctor and get some real painkillers and see if anything is broken.

Last edited:

DLC

Reaction score
Today is drywall day at my house! I’m going to put on my boots!

that looks painful, hope there is some good football on the tv it’s going to hurt for a while. Keep the Advil and liquid encouragement going while it’s lifted, Ice ice baby will help with the swelling!

good luck!

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
All of the above and get it checked by a Dr to see if there is more going on than just badly bruised.

Rayson1971

Reaction score
Man that sucks. Problem too is it's your balance toe and If you can't put pressure on it you'll be walking funny for a bit.

wzuber

Reaction score
pussy...get the fuck up and get back to work. :eek::p:D:D
.........JUST KIDDING....
it's all about the shock factor these days right? lol
Dayum..that looks brutal...you need the modern miracle drug for dat kinna pain.... WEED....lots n lots a weed...it fixes everything...haha
I hope you are a quick healer.

Nordie

Reaction score
That's going to hurt for a while. Walking is going to suck, which in turn your ankle starts to hurt, then up your leg and then your back, all because you're going to be favoring that big toe.

Hanging drywall always start low that way the drywall you hang above is resting on the lower drywall, that 5/8's stuff is no joke.

wzuber

Reaction score
Man that sucks. Problem too is it's your balance toe and If you can't put pressure on it you'll be walking funny for a bit.
yep...heel walkin..that shit suuucks...the limp may lead to low back pain and mis-aligned spine requiring a trip to the chiropractor.....good times for sure:rolleyes:
I hope you find a good solution to your pain.

SixD9R

Reaction score
You guys are the best! Thanks for all the replies! I really don’t think anything is broken, just a bad bruise.
I did take an Advil before bed last night and then again around 3am when I wasn’t sleeping. I’m definitely going to try the old fashion remedy of booze later. It’s a little early to start drinking yet.
I would also indulge in some finer tobacco if i didn’t get randomly tested at work. Sitting with ice right now.
The thing that really pisses me off is the wifey drug me Christmas shopping yesterday so I didn’t get much done, thus I wanted to make some kick ass progress on the project today.

4Waters

Reaction score
You guys are the best! Thanks for all the replies! I really don’t think anything is broken, just a bad bruise.
I did take an Advil before bed last night and then again around 3am when I wasn’t sleeping. I’m definitely going to try the old fashion remedy of booze later. It’s a little early to start drinking yet.
I would also indulge in some finer tobacco if i didn’t get randomly tested at work. Sitting with ice right now.
The thing that really pisses me off is the wifey drug me Christmas shopping yesterday so I didn’t get much done, thus I wanted to make some kick ass progress on the project today.
Hey man, it's after 11am on the east coast. Start drinking.:D

Last edited:

wzuber

Reaction score
wives suck....lol
we go and be cool, helpful, supportive whatever and it bits us in the ass time and again....we will ever learn? just say no....
I need to add NO to my turettes syndrom and occaisionally maybe even phrase up FUCK with it. Of course i should probably add. shit, asshole, god damm it immediately after that just to disguise it.:D I wouldn't want to hurt her feelings or anything. :rolleyes::p:D

Nordie

Reaction score
It's Sunday and Football is on, you're allowed to start early.

All kidding aside, I had my big toe ran over by an old warehouse forklift (wearing work boots). Anyhow even with the work boots on my big toe nail was immediately ripped off. I should probably add this was at like 10 at night and I was helping my uncle, and alcohol might have been involved. Anyway my uncle looks at my foot and says maybe we should take you to the hospital, I had to explain to him why it's a bad idea of 2 drunk guys walking into a hospital explaining that I was ran over by a forklift.

What I didn't know then was how painful the healing process was going to be. Lots of percocet and that didn't really help. Finally I was healing up about a month. 3 months in and it was finally time to cut that toe nail again. So I cut the toenail you know hygiene n all, here's where the year of miserable happened. It turned into ingrown toe nail issues after I cut it, that was the fucking worst thing I ever went through.

I'm glad to see your nail is still there and I hope it stays there.

20151213_130904.jpg

SixD9R

Reaction score
That's going to hurt for a while. Walking is going to suck, which in turn your ankle starts to hurt, then up your leg and then your back, all because you're going to be favoring that big toe.

Hanging drywall always start low that way the drywall you hang above is resting on the lower drywall, that 5/8's stuff is no joke.
I’m using 1/2” X 10’ drywall and running them vertically. The thing that whacked my toe was a leftover piece of 5/8” plywood I had temporarily screwed to the wall directly behind my jet bote headers. I was concerned that if I started the motor and it backfired it might catch the paper backed insulation on fire.
I can’t f-ing believe I let it slip out of my hands like that!

Nordie

Reaction score
I’m using 1/2” X 10’ drywall and running them vertically. The thing that whacked my toe was a leftover piece of 5/8” plywood I had temporarily screwed to the wall directly behind my jet bote headers. I was concerned that if I started the motor and it backfired it might catch the paper backed insulation on fire.
I can’t f-ing believe I let it slip out of my hands like that!

Gotcha, and Uh oh...is your garage attached to your house? If so it should all be 5/8 firecode, I know older houses didn't even have drywall, but any wall that adjoins to your house should be 5/8

SixD9R

Reaction score
42776513-7D2E-4824-A8B9-F6B515CB850E.jpeg
Here’s a pic of the work in progress. You can see the fucken plywood hanging on the wall behind the boat.

wzuber

Reaction score
It's Sunday and Football is on, you're allowed to start early.

All kidding aside, I had my big toe ran over by an old warehouse forklift (wearing work boots). Anyhow even with the work boots on my big toe nail was immediately ripped off. I should probably add this was at like 10 at night and I was helping my uncle, and alcohol might have been involved. Anyway my uncle looks at my foot and says maybe we should take you to the hospital, I had to explain to him why it's a bad idea of 2 drunk guys walking into a hospital explaining that I was ran over by a forklift.

What I didn't know then was how painful the healing process was going to be. Lots of percocet and that didn't really help. Finally I was healing up about a month. 3 months in and it was finally time to cut that toe nail again. So I cut the toenail you know hygiene n all, here's where the year of miserable happened. It turned into ingrown toe nail issues after I cut it, that was the fucking worst thing I ever went through.

I'm glad to see your nail is still there and I hope it stays there.

View attachment 825530
ho..ree..fuk. is the visible line from the edge of the wheel? amazing the other toes escaped harm.
Now 6D has some other things to worry about as he sits there n pain. lol his mind can run amuck with the myriad of all the "what if" scenarios. Add in copius amounts of alcohol and it oughtta be spinnin pretty hard by the end of the day. haha
I hope he doesn't have any suicidal tindencies.. lol

SixD9R

Reaction score
Gotcha, and Uh oh...is your garage attached to your house? If so it should all be 5/8 firecode, I know older houses didn't even have drywall, but any wall that adjoins to your house should be 5/8
It’s a detached garage and yes I’m aware of the fire code for attached garages.

wzuber

Reaction score
View attachment 825531 Here’s a pic of the work in progress. You can see the fucken plywood hanging on the wall behind the boat.

ahhh yes...the total of "the true pain" of "doin it rite" and choosing the road less traveled to do a better than typical job and having fewer tape joints and a cleaner finish product...how manys times have we all done that to ourselves at one time or another? In the end it will all be worth it, you'll just have a little more of "it" to remember it by..
Your garage looks really good now, it will be badazz when you getter done after healing up. Maybe frame a pic of your toe on the wall for "fun"?

Nordie

Reaction score
ho..ree..fuk. is the visible line from the edge of the wheel? amazing the other toes escaped harm.
Now 6D has some other things to worry about as he sits there n pain. lol his mind can run amuck with the myriad of all the "what if" scenarios. Add in copius amounts of alcohol and it oughtta be spinnin pretty hard by the end of the day. haha
I hope he doesn't have any suicidal tindencies.. lol

The second toe in suffered some damage as well, but this picture was after I was on the mend maybe 2 weeks later, but you're right that was the edge of the tire, because at first while the forklift was parked on my toe I thought I could slide my foot out, but it wasnt budging. That's when I told my uncle, go forwards or backwards or something you're on my fucking foot.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Ouch, I had an issue 5 years ago whenI was moving a concrete pump hose when I lost my grip and the coupling nailed my toe square in my boot. I knew there was an issue but I don’t think it was as bad as yours. I kept my boot on for another hour, cleaned up the work site and then pulled to boot to my disappointment. Lost the nail in a few weeks and then a few months before the nail was back to normal. Best of luck to you and your recovery.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
...and people wonder why I wear steeltoe boots. May or may not have helped, maybe pushed the wood back a broke bones in foot instead of toes? Don't know what you do for a living, but hopefully sitting is an option, and not driving a heavy clutch.

No matter what, without fail, something will fall on it or someone will step on it...it's just the way of the world;)

SixD9R

Reaction score
...and people wonder why I wear steeltoe boots. May or may not have helped, maybe pushed the wood back a broke bones in foot instead of toes? Don't know what you do for a living, but hopefully sitting is an option, and not driving a heavy clutch.

No matter what, without fail, something will fall on it or someone will step on it...it's just the way of the world;)
I have steel toes boots but don’t wear them most of the time because I can move and climb ladders just a little faster and easier with a good sturdy pair of sneakers.
I have an office job so yes I will be sitting on my ass tomorrow and all week. Only thing is that it’s a large complex so still a decent amount of walking just to get from my truck to my desk or the desk to the bathroom.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
You are in for a shitty 2 weeks bud, no way around it....:oops:

Ice it at least 4 cycles of 15min a night, stay off the booze (increased inflammation), take heavy doses of Emergency or whatever you like for vitamin C. Naproxin or some other anti-inflammitory.

It will hurt like a mother fucker, but if you can get a few rounds of walking on it for 15min a day, the increased bloodflow will help....

Or drink like a fish till it finally stops buggin ya....4 weeks instead of 2....:p

I'd rather loose a nail than a toe. Engine heads will cut the top of your steel toe off, with your toes inside if you fuck up, why I don't wear them IMO.

Nordie

Reaction score

Ice it at least 4 cycles of 15min a night, stay off the booze (increased inflammation), take heavy doses of Emergency or whatever you like for vitamin C. Naproxin or some other anti-inflammitory.

It will hurt like a mother fucker, but if you can get a few rounds of walking on it for 15min a day, the increased bloodflow will help....

Or drink like a fish till it finally stops buggin ya....4 weeks instead of 2....:p

I'd rather loose a nail than a toe. Engine heads will cut the top of your steel toe off, with your toes inside if you fuck up, why I don't wear them IMO.

This is why I don't wear steel toe boots, rather deal with a crushed toe vs an amputated toe.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I have steel toes boots but don’t wear them most of the time because I can move and climb ladders just a little faster and easier with a good sturdy pair of sneakers.
I have an office job so yes I will be sitting on my ass tomorrow and all week. Only thing is that it’s a large complex so still a decent amount of walking just to get from my truck to my desk or the desk to the bathroom.
I wore steel toes everyday while working on roofs. Kind of how I got so accustomed to them. Main reason was protecting ingrown nail issues. Then they stuck around. Most people don't like the weight and bulk. I have been wearing them a minimum of 14hr a day for 20 years, river trips are the exception, when on water.

I would think it would take a large cylinder head from a decent height. I know riggers that move heavy equipment had told me that a long time ago. I've dropped some stupid stuff, but has always been stuff under the "cut your toe off" weight. I can verify that a pair of RedWing's can have a 500+lb steel I-beam dropped on them from 3ft...at least the right one;) It has to depend on not only the weight, but the shape and where it hits the reinforcement. For the general fucktardery I do now, they are great.

bonesfab

Reaction score
I have done my big tow in a couple of times. Once kicked a cast iron bed frame in Parker the morning we were leaving. Hurt like a mofo. Put the boot on and drove home without even looking at it. The other time at the shop. Through a driveshaft out for scrap and bounced back and got me right behind the steel toe. I am sure it will happen again.

bonesfab

Reaction score
I wore steel toes everyday while working on roofs. Kind of how I got so accustomed to them. Main reason was protecting ingrown nail issues. Then they stuck around. Most people don't like the weight and bulk. I have been wearing them a minimum of 14hr a day for 20 years, river trips are the exception, when on water.

I would think it would take a large cylinder head from a decent height. I know riggers that move heavy equipment had told me that a long time ago. I've dropped some stupid stuff, but has always been stuff under the "cut your toe off" weight. I can verify that a pair of RedWing's can have a 500+lb steel I-beam dropped on them from 3ft...at least the right one;) It has to depend on not only the weight, but the shape and where it hits the reinforcement. For the general fucktardery I do now, they are great.

that’s all I wear are Redwing steel toes. And I thought women’s shoes are expensive. I have a work pair and a dress pair.

calkid

Reaction score
X2 on the Norco and alcohol, as the toe nail grows out it may have blood under it and the pressure can cause additional pain. Use your thumb and index finger (if you haven't fucked them up by now) to twist a small drill bit through your nail. It will relieve a bunch of pressure once the blood can get out. Ask me how I know ;)

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
X2 on the Norco and alcohol, as the toe nail grows out it may have blood under it and the pressure can cause additional pain. Use your thumb and index finger (if you haven't fucked them up by now) to twist a small drill bit through your nail. It will relieve a bunch of pressure once the blood can get out. Ask me how I know ;)
Propane torch on a needle or a brad nail...stinks like hell the pain goes quicker though:rolleyes:

Joe mama

Reaction score
Done that a few times. Night and day difference

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
It was years ago but I was in socks, working out, and I dropped a plate on my toe. I remember it bouncing when it hit my foot. Shattered my big toe. I think I had to wear a flat shoe or something. Obviously it will heal, but there’s not much you can do to help it except to try and stay off it and keep it iced and elevated. [emoji51].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldschool

Reaction score
Ice bucket for 20 minutes(cold, pain, numb) every couple hours and Advil every 4 hours. Walking boot might be in order as well.

SixD9R

Reaction score
Hello again. So I realized earlier that I have some 500mg naproxen tablets. I took one after dinner which was around 7:00 pm (it’s now 8:30) and so far no change in the pain level. I iced it down for 15-20 minutes each several times today. I was up for a while and brought in 3 wheelbarrow loads of firewood which involves pushing the loaded wheelbarrow up a grade and then carrying the wood down about 5 steps. Got it done and it wasn’t easy but not horrible. Hoping for a good night sleep tonight. I’m thinking about how I can elevate my foot at my desk tomorrow without looking completely ridiculous.

Xring01

Reaction score
Hello again. So I realized earlier that I have some 500mg naproxen tablets. I took one after dinner which was around 7:00 pm (it’s now 8:30) and so far no change in the pain level. I iced it down for 15-20 minutes each several times today. I was up for a while and brought in 3 wheelbarrow loads of firewood which involves pushing the loaded wheelbarrow up a grade and then carrying the wood down about 5 steps. Got it done and it wasn’t easy but not horrible. Hoping for a good night sleep tonight. I’m thinking about how I can elevate my foot at my desk tomorrow without looking completely ridiculous.

Quityerbitchin..

about 4 Double Bourbons on the rocks...no pain and you sleep like a baby...

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Love the pics of the boat.:cool:
Be happy you have your toe intact. I didn't go back and read everything but please get an X-ray. Take it easy until you go. Foot injuries can can get really ugly fast.
Garage is looking good. :D