WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2-door used Jeep for $20K - possible, or not?

C-2

Reaction score
My daughter wants a 2-dr Jeep Wrangler. Our budget is $20K. The only caveat is we don't want to buy something too old, so we're talking about a model year 2015 and newer. An older year with decent mileage is also possible.

The Jeeps we've seen offered for sale by private parties seem priced too high. My opinion is based on seeing comparable models at dealers for less. How is that possible?

I thought going private party was the answer, but it doesn't look like it. Wifey and daughter keep throwing dealer Jeeps at me and it's frustrating; I have nothing, lol.

What are your thoughts?

RichL

Reaction score
My daughter wants a 2-dr Jeep Wrangler. Our budget is $20K. The only caveat is we don't want to buy something too old, so we're talking about a model year 2015 and newer. An older year with decent mileage is also possible.

The Jeeps we've seen offered for sale by private parties seem priced too high. My opinion is based on seeing comparable models at dealers for less. How is that possible?

I thought going private party was the answer, but it doesn't look like it. Wifey and daughter keep throwing dealer Jeeps at me and it's frustrating; I have nothing, lol.

What are your thoughts?
As the owner of 15 (Wife's), bought new, low mileage, in excellent condition, my personal opinion is that you're low. Doesn't mean you can't find something but you may need to up the budget if possible. Just my $.02.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Jeeps hold their value too well, IMO you would be better off to raise budget to 25k and buy one new.

Reactions: C-2

DLC

Reaction score
Are you looking for a box stock Jeep? Then buy new

if you want some goodies tires wheels maybe bumpers etc then keep looking make a few offers maybe look for. 2012,13 or 14 with low miles.

I got my 2012 jku Rubi with only 29,000 miles used. It had a lot of goodies on it.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
We Wanted to buy a Jeep 2+ years ago for our son. We looked for a few months. Wanted 4dr under 75k miles for $15K. It was hard to get to so..... we ended up with the 07, 2dr, hardtop, 70K mile for about $17k out the door tax and license. I ended up going through the brakes and a few other things so that I know it is bullet proof for our son. The rear brakes are A PITA. The vehicle is great to drive and our son says that he is never going to get ride of it. Funny thing is that I bought it for him to use for two years and then he can buy what ever he wants and I get the Jeep for Havasu. FML

Jeeps do hold their price for some time. It’s a Jeep thing!!!

3A861CCE-43AB-42E5-BE01-7383B02383DB.jpeg
EE389785-1E5C-4419-9273-F4471562CFDC.jpeg
ED3793E3-DDD5-4169-8659-FA35F9701D76.jpeg

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
I payed $21k for a 2013 2 door at carmax for my kid. Only 52k miles. Its a sport but its still very nice

t&y

t&y
Reaction score

What are your thoughts?

Yes, you can find them. But I would highly recommend a LJ or TJ Unlimited. It might not fit your year range, but the options for these goes far beyond bolt-on parts. They are the jeeps that have that extended wheel base without the extra set of doors. If I ever by a newer one and it is not a JK, it will be an older LJ. Good luck. My first vehicle was a jeep, and I'll probably hold onto that thing forever.

Last edited:

guest hs

Reaction score
What ever you do make sure you get the Penta Star V6 if you’re buying a JK not the earlier mini van V6. If it were me I would try to find a super clean low mileage TJ with the inline 6
I have 2013 JK it’s been and excellent vehicle just don’t expect a great driving experience like you would most SUV ‘s on the market.

Universal Elements

Reaction score

What are your thoughts?

Not a two door, but seen this one. Pretty stable too. They really took great care of it. Tags are paid through Dec 2020.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/redlands-2009-jeep-wrangler-unlimited/7026322131.html

FD789DFB-A6FC-42AB-8EF6-58CD2B0FBAE5.jpeg

2Driver

Reaction score
Set up several search notifications in CL. The ones priced right go pretty fast and you may only be seeing those overpriced ones that sit in CL for weeks and months.

youll get rained on with alerts for a few days but its worth it. You can do as many as you want based on how you search ie price, year, area etc. Its how I nab most my deals.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
2015 or newer
Wrangler
$20k max price
155 are coming up on Auto Trader ...none fit your criteria?

IMG_3270.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I’m looking at ‘16 rubicon unlimiteds and boy they are tough to find low miles used that aren’t priced closer to new.

oldschool

Reaction score
We ended up buying our daughter a new Jeep for this very reason. Used where high priced or high miles, she wanted the interior as utilitarian as possible. Got a 2 door sport, roll up windows and no electric locks with a warranty for less, Added an inexpensive small lift and Rubi rims later on the cheap.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
If there are any future plans to build out this jeep...and if you're concerned about $$, I'd strongly suggest buying someone else's shattered dreams that they invested 10s of thousands of dollar, which you can acquire for pennies on the dollar.

And "not too old, so 2015 or newer" makes me shake my head. I'm of the opinion that if it has an OBD2 plug...its "newer"

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Wow, new is not that bad. We were looking at them for the wife last year and fully loaded Rubicon was going to run us $50K+

C-2

Reaction score
Thanks guys, keep the tips coming on motor suggestions, model types etc. I don't know anything about Jeeps.

This is a first car for 17-year old daughter; so new is not in the equation.

We don't want one that has been off-road and we don't have any plans for big tires or off-roading. My daughter wants it for her surfing adventures, lol.

boatpi

Reaction score
Why buy her a Jeep Wrangler, noisy inside, can roll, terrible fuel economy. Zero electronics for a young driver. Not to mention can be expensive to insure as they are a high theft issue.

Just thinking out loud as I just purchased an suv for one in my teenage daughters.

might consider more practical. I picked up a 2017 Kia Sportage Ex, loaded, leather, moon roof, change change warning, all electronics, Apple Play you name it with 11,000 miles! Has huge windows and visibility as teenagers hit things and do not look. Paid $18,900 plus tax, Kia certified 100k powertain warranty. Gets 25 mpg.
Original window sticker was 31K.

just a thought.

zhandfull

Reaction score
I think the issue in the private used market is people owe to much on them. Dealer will lowball them and roll the balance into a new loan.

I was looking for a 2013 or newer JKU and finally found a 2014 Sport with 3" lift, Rubicon wheels, hard top, auto, electric locks and windows at a dealer that I liked about six months ago. It was just under $25,000 in the advertised special, was able to drive away with it for less than $25k with tax and license out the door. Some dealers will deal on them so it may not be a bad way to go. There is demand for Wranglers but the supply is huge!

Last edited:

Gelcoater

Reaction score

What are your thoughts?
It’s older and has miles
My parents have a blue 06 with 150k on it.
Doesn’t leak a drop.
I think they want 13ish?
Local to you, Tyler mall area.

Times Like These

Reaction score
Just totaled a 15 Rubicon JKU.
Payout from insurance was 43k. Bought it back for 9.5k. Had over 80k into it with all the mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zhandfull

Reaction score
With $5k dealer add ons :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I bought my JKU from another dealer in the I.E., I was told nobody gets out of HBJeep at advertised price. I guess they push pretty hard on creative ways to jack up the price? I drove down there early one morning before they even opened to look at a used Jeep advertised the night before and it was not there.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
This came up in another thread ^^^^ I did get out of there at advertised price on a cash deal, but it took two days. Tried everything to chase me away. They seriously suck. Hate them!

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
When I bought my JKU from another dealer in the I.E., I was told nobody gets out of HBJeep at advertised price. I guess they push pretty hard on creative ways to jack up the price? I drove down there early one morning before they even opened to look at a used Jeep advertised the night before and it was not there.
When i bought my ramnin 2013 i had to deal with their games. What they did was advertise the price lower then any other dealer, but what they did to offset the price was add in their paint protection. They had the paint package as a 3500 option but would not let me opt out of it and told me the protective coat (which i imagine was a ceramic coat of some sort) was already on the truck. I ended up buying from hunter in lancaster and it was by far one of the easiest and most simplified transaction to date

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Did you check this out in person? Seems like a hell of a deal

yes, really good shape. They commute and need something more economical. We tow the Prius behind the motorhome. Have a wrangler YJ with no ac, black in color. Like this one a lot but going to get something in a light gray due to heat and dirt towing behind the Moho.

DWC

Reaction score
yes, really good shape. They commute and need something more economical. We tow the Prius behind the motorhome. Have a wrangler YJ with no ac, black in color. Like this one a lot but going to get something in a light gray due to heat and dirt towing behind the Moho.
Thanks for the quick response. My daughter is looking for one now. If she passes it could be my 4th Jeep.

boatpi

Reaction score
I bet HB Jeep would not put up too much of a fight on a 2019 2 door.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I will never understand peoples infatuation with daily driving a TJ or LJ. (yes LJ's can be bad ass builds for the rocks)

The newer stuff is better in every way possible.

Get a 2013 or newer 3.6 Auto and enjoy. For a young driver in a 2 door I probably wouldn't go bigger than a 33" tire if it's used daily. Find a clean stock 2 door level the front with a spacer and throw on some rubicon take offs for $800 and call it bueno.

oldschool

Reaction score
82DD8510-957C-4166-8C95-6FF8CC9E8D3E.jpeg
I will never understand peoples infatuation with daily driving a TJ or LJ. (yes LJ's can be bad ass builds for the rocks)

Get a 2013 or newer 3.6 Auto and enjoy. For a young driver in a 2 door I probably wouldn't go bigger than a 33" tire if it's used daily. Find a clean stock 2 door level the front with a spacer and throw on some rubicon take offs for $800 and call it bueno.
Yep
13CDCDA2-7FF0-42FB-BC8B-2B0BB5069310.jpeg

boatpi

Reaction score
Forget that little toy, have her go BIG!
C3D873AF-C21A-4D23-A7F1-AFB5D2FF8FBD.jpeg

Dr Rob

Reaction score
It is a 2014 Rubicon with automatic trans. With just under 68,000 miles on it, loaded with every option we could get in 2014 including navigation and leather. Still under bumper to bumper warranty until 75000 miles with $100 deductible. Dealer offered me 24500 trade-in on the new truck. I just put 5 brand new BFG all terrains on it. 33 in

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score

This ^

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I daily drove a CJ5 for a few years.
It wasn’t really infactuation, it was satisfaction. :D

As I shifted into 3rd gear (barking the tires as I did) removing that smug smile on the preppy BMW driving dickhead that is now behind me...was satisfying:cool:

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I daily drove a CJ5 for a few years.
It wasn’t really infactuation, it was satisfaction. :D

As I shifted into 3rd gear (barking the tires as I did) removing that smug smile on the preppy BMW driving dickhead that is now behind me...was satisfying:cool:

You know they make really really slow bmw's right...lol

Orange Juice

Reaction score
talk her out of the Jeep. I’m driving a 2019 this week, 11000 miles.

What a rattle trap.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Weird, I always thought that too ^^^ although I love CJ5s. Thought Wranglers were junk. I lost a bet to the wife and had to buy one. Got a 2018 JK, I call it the Just Kidding. Anyway, I love it!!! We drive it often to the Lake from So Cal. Thought I would hate that but it's ok.