WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dirt Bikes for the kids for xmas

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Little back story, I used to ride since I was 16 years old but stopped once my son was born and my wife got tired of taking me to the hospital. LOL

But the plan was always to get back into it with the kids. That time has finally come. About two years ago my son started getting some experience riding a little Honda 50 my BIL had. He loved it. So that got the wheels turning. Finally I got the wife's buy in ( She was very concerned about him riding given her experience with me LOL ) to pull the trigger and get the family on the dirt.

So last week I bought this new to me super clean 05 YZ450F for myself for xmas.

Now it was time for the kids xmas gifts. I looked at some Yamaha 50's for my son but he's a little too big for it but not big enough for the 110 's. I don't want to drop allot of money on these in case the kids fall out of interest so I was looking at used ones from 2005-2006. But for something decent they were running $600-$800. My BIL has one of those SSR pit bikes ( Made in China) and refers me to a spot in Simi Valley called Kronik Racing. He has had it for a couple years and loves it. Says I can get brand new ones for around $800 out the door. I was hesitant because I really wanted my son to have a Yamaha but I also know he doesn't really care about the name. It's just me. LOL And I thought he would be super stoked with a brand new bike.

So I went and checked them out and these things are pretty nice!!! So I say F&%*K it and pick up the 110cc dirt bike for my 9 year old son ( Its a little smaller than the factory 110's which works perfect for him) and I got a 110 quad for my 6 year old daughter. Its got a throttle re stricter and a remote kill switch in case we see she is going to get into trouble.

I figured if he really gets into riding when its time for a new one I can go factory. If he doesn't I can keep it to play with and I'm not out a bunch of money and its still newer.

Anyone have any experience with these bikes? The brand is Apollo. I did look up some reviews and most were very good and a few of course not so good. But for $800 each brand new it is what it is.
IMG_1756.JPG
IMG_1766.JPG
IMG_1752.JPG

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
I dont have any apollos, but we have 6 SSr's (all 6 are the 125), and they have been dang near bullet proof minus a few minor annoyances. We have ridden the shit out of them and they keep on kickin.

I think we bought all 6, shipped to our door, for like 3400$ on sale. Was hard to pass up.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
If I'm sending my kid out on something that could kill him, it will be a thing that could kill him not because of questionable build quality, but because of his own stupidity. I had a set of handlebars break once...the experience was not fun. I'd like to stack the deck in my favor as much as possible.

Up to you though...

2Driver

Reaction score
Stay Honda’s or Kawasaki makes a small 110. Don’t look at like money spent the Honda stuff always brings your cash back if you buy used and keep it clean. China Crap is money spent.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
If I'm sending my kid out on something that could kill him, it will be a thing that could kill him not because of questionable build quality, but because of his own stupidity. I had a set of handlebars break once...the experience was not fun. I'd like to stack the deck in my favor as much as possible.

Up to you though...

I completely agree here. In my younger years I was heavily into pit bikes which we raced as adults. As the gained popularity guys wanted to pick up the Chinese bikes instead of building a Honda/Kawasaki (primarly CRF 50's and KLX110 based bikes). I saw handlebars, foot pegs, foot peg brackets and frames frames snap. I've seen more handlebars roll in the clamps than I'd like to admit (hint if they go forward the throttle goes wide open). Sure a kid isn't going to be as abusive but the metals and build quality of the Chinese bikes is FAR inferior to a known Japanese manufacturer.

Your kids will probably be fine on them, but I would never put my kids on one.

The Chinese manufacturers were trying to knock off something like this that I built and was in probably around $15-20K. All aftermarket parts were either from the US/Japan/or equivalent.

img_6636-jpg.818879

oldschool

Reaction score
That’s a smart, less expensive way to see if it’s something they are into. I had an 03’ YZ450 and an ‘05 WR450, they are great bikes.

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
moto.jpg
My boys received Bikes from Santa Dad last year, it has been the greatest time ever teaching them, watching them grow and take their spills, get up and do it again.
And it gives Mom Sundays to clean the house:)

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
nice. I raced mini motor one year on a reeg 50. It was interesting, basically 20 adults raming each other in every turn, haha.

I raced mini moto for a few years, it was interesting for sure. Block passes were considered nice, it was more punting people than anything else.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That bike looks pretty damn legit for 600.00!!

I'd run it and see how it goes? If it's all good then who cares if it isn't name brand?

RD

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
That bike looks pretty damn legit for 600.00!!

I'd run it and see how it goes? If it's all good then who cares if it isn't name brand?

RD

That was kinda of my point. I could buy new one from Yamaha but would cost me $2,000 each. And a 10+ year old used would cost the same as these new. I figured lets see if they get into it, then we can go factory. But they were actually $800 a piece out the door.

Last edited:

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
I completely agree here. In my younger years I was heavily into pit bikes which we raced as adults. As the gained popularity guys wanted to pick up the Chinese bikes instead of building a Honda/Kawasaki (primarly CRF 50's and KLX110 based bikes). I saw handlebars, foot pegs, foot peg brackets and frames frames snap. I've seen more handlebars roll in the clamps than I'd like to admit (hint if they go forward the throttle goes wide open). Sure a kid isn't going to be as abusive but the metals and build quality of the Chinese bikes is FAR inferior to a known Japanese manufacturer.

Your kids will probably be fine on them, but I would never put my kids on one.

The Chinese manufacturers were trying to knock off something like this that I built and was in probably around $15-20K. All aftermarket parts were either from the US/Japan/or equivalent.

img_6636-jpg.818879

I totally get that, but my kid is just learning not going to race or come even close. And he is not an adult. Weights 50-55 lbs. I figure lets see if they really get into it then we could move to factory. Also my BIL has one just a different brand and its been pretty solid. Just wondering if anyone else had the same experience.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
I totally get that, but my kid is just learning not going to race or come even close. And he is not an adult. Weights 50-55 lbs. I figure lets see if they really get into it then we could move to factory. Also my BIL has one just a different brand and its been pretty solid. Just wondering if anyone else had the same experience.

I'm with you just sharing my experience which is apple to oranges but grown on the same bonsai tree so to speak.

Just make sure you nut and bolt both from top to bottom and add loctite where deemed necessary.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
I'm with you just sharing my experience which is apple to oranges but grown on the same bonsai tree so to speak.

Just make sure you nut and bolt both from top to bottom and add loctite where deemed necessary.

Right on! That's a nice bike by the way!

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Had a friend nick named Skid, cuz he crash a lot too.:D Guess his screen name could be SkidBob.
I think it's a good idea to try out the sport with the less expensive options early and see if it keeps their interest...wish I had those available when my kids were young.
Started my son at 7, daughter at 3 1/2.

Shockwave25

Reaction score
Check out xoffroad.com.. free shipping and a killer deal.. I have a few Ssr’s and so does my buddy. Seem legit

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
Marc

I was in the same position as you... my boys progressed with..
Suzuki quad 80 LT
PW 50
PW 80
XR 80
RM 125
YZ 250

Papa's ride
93 KTM 300
99 YZF 400
2002 YZ 250F
2003 YZF 450
2006 YZF 250
2006 YZF 450 (still in stable) I'm getting the itch to start racing again!!

thanks for bringing back the memories!!

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
shit throw in 2005 CRF 450 (1st and only Honda I've ever raced, two races then back on Blue)

squeezer

Reaction score
Been waiting to pull the trigger on a pair of bikes as well...

Thinking PW50 for our daughter and TTT50 for our son. They will grow out of them fairly soon. The hope is the TTR becomes the girls bike and the boy moves up a size.

Been tracking values for a while and used these bikes range from $500-$1500 depending on the day. The price is a reflection of the seller with the cheaper ones always gone by the time I call...

I would under no circumstances buy one of the Chineses bikes for the kids. This is not a comment on their quality as much as resale. The a PW50 will be $1K five or take and sell for $1K give or take a year or two later. The cost of the bike will net out to zero. It does not look like the same is true for the Chinese clones. Throw in the build quality questions that some if the guys raise and this is a no brained.

BingerFang

Reaction score
Your kids will be fine on these, I’m stoked for them! They will not go fast enough or jump high enough for anything catastrophic to happen, just double check all the bolts before each ride.

With that being said, if they do take it seriously and start going fast I would switch them over to a Japanese bike just for the piece of mind as far as quality goes. But these are great for starting out.... they are going to be ecstatic next week.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Your kids will be fine on these, I’m stoked for them! They will not go fast enough or jump high enough for anything catastrophic to happen, just double check all the bolts before each ride.

With that being said, if they do take it seriously and start going fast I would switch them over to a Japanese bike just for the piece of mind as far as quality goes. But these are great for starting out.... they are going to be ecstatic next week.

That’s exactly what I was thinking!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Been waiting to pull the trigger on a pair of bikes as well...

Thinking PW50 for our daughter and TTT50 for our son. They will grow out of them fairly soon. The hope is the TTR becomes the girls bike and the boy moves up a size.

Been tracking values for a while and used these bikes range from $500-$1500 depending on the day. The price is a reflection of the seller with the cheaper ones always gone by the time I call...

I would under no circumstances buy one of the Chineses bikes for the kids. This is not a comment on their quality as much as resale. The a PW50 will be $1K five or take and sell for $1K give or take a year or two later. The cost of the bike will net out to zero. It does not look like the same is true for the Chinese clones. Throw in the build quality questions that some if the guys raise and this is a no brained.

I was thinking the same thing re the resale. But most likely I will never sell them. That 110 can be out fitted with bigger bars and I can have fun on it. For the price there is no reason to sell. And if I do years later and get a couple hundred bucks I’d be fine with it. I’ve always had Yamaha with one Honda mixed in at the begging. I wanted them to have something new but didn’t want to pay the $$ in case they lost interest quickly. Ya know kids these days!! LoL

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Marc

I was in the same position as you... my boys progressed with..
Suzuki quad 80 LT
PW 50
PW 80
XR 80
RM 125
YZ 250

Papa's ride
93 KTM 300
99 YZF 400
2002 YZ 250F
2003 YZF 450
2006 YZF 250
2006 YZF 450 (still in stable) I'm getting the itch to start racing again!!

thanks for bringing back the memories!!

That’s awesome!!! I started on an 80 something CR100. Then on to a 2000 TTR 125, then a 95 YZ 250, 2005 YZ 250 and now the 450. I’m stoked to be back!!