WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

School me on tire chains

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I am anti snow but we are driving to utah mountains for christmas and need recommendations on tire chains for the wifes suv. Never had to buy chains before. Amazon has all kinds from studded plastic ones that strap between the wheel spokes to the old school wrap arounds. Any help would be appreciated.

hallett21

Reaction score
What kind of suv?

A lot of newer vehicles require cables and void warranty do to damage from chains.

I’m a chain fan myself if the vehicle allows it.

We only own 4x4 to avoid chains

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Seen many of the plastic ones fail. Used cables once, what a joke, the tire just spins on the barrels covering the cable. Old fashioned chains work, if it's deep or going off road get "v" bar reinforced. Lot more traction but little rougher ride.
Check your vehicle many with bigger optional rims/tires say you can't use chains, not enough clearance. If so plastic or cables may be only option.

77charger

Reaction score
What kind of suv?

A lot of newer vehicles require cables and void warranty do to damage from chains.

I’m a chain fan myself if the vehicle allows it.

We only own 4x4 to avoid chains

Ive always owned 4wd too and use to head to local mtns to board years ago.Most times i went mid week day after a snowstorm or during and never had to install the chains(i had them for my old burban) and my current truck i have cables which have never been installed either.But i did need to show to chp at the checkpoint to continue on my way up.

DWC

Reaction score
I’d go old school. Do a dry run and try them out before you need them. Extra links are a nightmare, putting them on for the first time in a storm even worse.

cofooter

Reaction score
Its not So Cal, 4WD or snow tires are fine, who is telling you you have to have chains? I have not seen chains on any vehicle (except semis) since I moved out of So Cal 20 yrs ago.

hallett21

Reaction score
Ive always owned 4wd too and use to head to local mtns to board years ago.Most times i went mid week day after a snowstorm or during and never had to install the chains(i had them for my old burban) and my current truck i have cables which have never been installed either.But i did need to show to chp at the checkpoint to continue on my way up.

I keep a set in the back of the truck when headed to mammoth. At checkpoints CHP looks for them and then says move along.

I have heard that Mt High and Big Bear make you put them on?

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
We were headed up to Big Bear one year ages ago. I had 4x4 Trooper but the CHP guy said we had to carry chains. Back down the mountain to buy a set. Of course they cost double there. Went back up, didn't need em. Still new in the bag 28 years later, LOL.

Agree with above advise, practice putting them on in your own driveway. Carry gloves and a couple old towels or cardboard to lay on while you install them.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Its a cx9 fwd. Not gonna spend the coin on snow tires as this is gonna be the first time this thing has seen snow in the 6 years we have owned it. It is supposed to snow on the way up the hill and back and i would rather be safe than sorry. Will definetly put them on at the house before we leave.

DWC

Reaction score
Its a cx9 fwd. Not gonna spend the coin on snow tires as this is gonna be the first time this thing has seen snow in the 6 years we have owned it. It is supposed to snow on the way up the hill and back and i would rather be safe than sorry. Will definetly put them on at the house before we leave.
Im sure RDP’rs in Utah will chime in. I’ve only done Park City area for work trips. They keep the road in clear as anything I’ve seen. Better than Tahoe, Mammoth or Big Bear.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
A set of good all terrain tires, and no need for chains, IMO, especially for a trip and not a full timer...

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I had snow tires and didn't even know it. They have M & S on the tire. I have 4wd and never use chains in Mammoth.

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
My son got a nice set of cables for his mini at Walmart
FB_IMG_1575324930423.jpg
, wish I would have got pictures .Glad I had chains, 35" mud tires worked great till it was time to stop.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
If you are leaving from Socal I'm assuming you are headed up the 15. You can pick up a set in St. George before anything gets to crazy and keep them for the trip, return them if not used on the way back. We bought Cables for the mini van. Word of caution, there is right and wrong way to put them on. If you do it wrong, the cable clamps will come off due to the inertia. Also, if you have traction control, be sure to know how to turn it off once you put the chains on.

I don't know about Utah, but Colorado has a very steep fine if you cause a traffic delay putting chains on, after you've passed specific chain up location, when they issue the Mandatory Chain or Snow Tire alerts. Happens all the time on the passes along the 70 into Denver.

Better to have them just in case.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Find a Les Schwab, they will have chains(cables) for your application, if you do not use them take them back. 100% money back no questions asked. Usually about $80 - $150 a set depending on application. Been doing this for 20yrs. Usually buy at least one set a year, buy them in December or January, return them in march.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
True cables are junk. Quick Fit Diamond chains are THE ONLY WAY TO ROLL. Should be cheap at a Les Schwab or similar. Easy on, easy off, serious traction if you actually have to use them.

cofooter

Reaction score
If you are leaving from Socal I'm assuming you are headed up the 15. You can pick up a set in St. George before anything gets to crazy and keep them for the trip, return them if not used on the way back. We bought Cables for the mini van. Word of caution, there is right and wrong way to put them on. If you do it wrong, the cable clamps will come off due to the inertia. Also, if you have traction control, be sure to know how to turn it off once you put the chains on.

I don't know about Utah, but Colorado has a very steep fine if you cause a traffic delay putting chains on, after you've passed specific chain up location, when they issue the Mandatory Chain or Snow Tire alerts. Happens all the time on the passes along the 70 into Denver.

Better to have them just in case.
The mandatory chain ups are for commercial vehicles. I can honestly say, in 20 years, I have never used or seen a passenger car with chains on I-70 and we head up to ski almost every other weekend in the winter. The steep fines are for cars holding up traffic that don't have the minimum tread requirements. That law was implemented in the last two years.

McKay

Reaction score
Where in the utah mountains you heading?

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Also, dont be that guy, that has chains om amd still does 80. With just mud and snow tires you will be fine if you slow down and take your time.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
B7B61490-E524-4D78-82F9-BCD99E762FD0.png
I got these for my Subaru WRX , haven’t used them yet.

River Runnin

Reaction score
Get the real McCoys with extra straps!....throw 6 - 50 pounds bags of snow melt in the bed (covering the bed is best!) then leave the chains in the bag and return if you don't use them! ;)

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Google snow socks for vehicles, I’m starting to see a lot more of them in use even on semi trucks. Might not be as good as chains but might meet the legal requirement.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I always liked the Z chains
You can put them on without driving on them, pretty ez to install

31BA9AF5-D99E-4EA1-BA96-4EF8A3845774.png

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Check your owners manual cause some of the chains require some pretty good fender clearance