WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I might burn down my house...insurance question.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Long story short... We've been gone for 5 days to come home to find we have a leaking pipe in a wall. Carpets soaked, still have no idea where the leak is but walls will need to come down to find it. Called the insurance company and they told me because we had a claim last year (our first in 20 years) when our water heater let go and flooded the house, they said with two water claims they will not renew our policy. So is fire an option?:(:mad::mad:

Is the insurance company (Mercury) bullshitting me?

Singleton

Reaction score
And finding new insurance with 2 water claims within 16 months will cost you.
Reason I have StateFarm - 3 water claims in 18 months when we purchased current house and pay less today in homeowners then when I purchased the house. One of my policies dates back to 1985, so I have guaranteed renewal with SF on all policies, no matter the claim history.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Fawk

As long as they payout on your loss who cares.

Move on after you get your house fixed

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Old people:)
We have it in some bedrooms.o_O

Of course Im kidding. I would never have carpet in main areas like great rooms, kitchen etc, but a really high end carpet with a thick pad is pretty nice and is hard to beat comfort wise. We are building a new home and we put carpet ina few bedrooms. Our current home is all modern maple.

colenighthawk

Reaction score
Long story short... We've been gone for 5 days to come home to find we have a leaking pipe in a wall. Carpets soaked, still have no idea where the leak is but walls will need to come down to find it. Called the insurance company and they told me because we had a claim last year (our first in 20 years) when our water heater let go and flooded the house, they said with two water claims they will not renew our policy. So is fire an option?:(:mad::mad:

Is the insurance company (Mercury) bullshitting me?

If your in OC or LA area call me, that's what we do. I'm with Servicemaster, we do water mitigation. We deal with insurance company daily.
We can help.

Icky

Reaction score
Sometimes the power of RDP never ceases to amaze me. I'm like 99% sure the crown moulding guys put a nail through something...never would have thought about that. Told my wife I was glad I posted something. Thanks.
Just keep in mind you're going to have to prove it, document as you trace it back to the source of the leak

GRADS

Reaction score
Shut the Focking water off boi and find out what is leaking. Jezzus..
This isn't rocket science. :rolleyes:
So just start randomly cutting into walls to see were it is leaking?:rolleyes:

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
So just start randomly cutting into walls to see were it is leaking?:rolleyes:
NO! Shut off the water to stop further damage. Then cut into the walls. Patches are cheap. Entire house flooding restoration going 18 inches above water damage in all the drywall plus flooring/cabinet/structural replacement is not. It is an obligation to stop the damage or insurance can deny coverage. Since you have now posted there is an issue.. :rolleyes:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Fire dept on your property in Cali your homeowners Ins won’t get renewed.

Fun Times

Moderated
Reaction score
If your in OC or LA area call me, that's what we do. I'm with Servicemaster, we do water mitigation. We deal with insurance company daily.
We can help.
Just letting you know Grads lives up in the Northern California area or he probably would give you a call for help (as like most here) he usually seems pretty cool when it comes to wanting to meet actual members of RDP.:cool:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
A Licensed and bonded guy should have insurance, no?

They seemed legit..

3DEAC105-C48E-43A6-B98F-17AF42021AA9.jpeg

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Sometimes the power of RDP never ceases to amaze me. I'm like 99% sure the crown moulding guys put a nail through something...never would have thought about that. Told my wife I was glad I posted something. Thanks.
it's the plumbers fault....they're supposed to have steel straps to prevent nails from going in to the pipes..... if it was a re plumb.... changed out the copper. then they probably never plated the top plate....

McKay

Reaction score
Yep, I'm thinking this is it. So make the crown moulding guy pay for it if this is true?

This is just completely wrong to me. You hired a guy to install crown molding. Did you expect him to glue it up? It is shitty installation of your plumbing if a finish nail is able to reach a water line. Don’t fuck this guy over for doing a job you hired him to do.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
This is just completely wrong to me. You hired a guy to install crown molding. Did you expect him to glue it up? It is shitty installation of your plumbing if a finish nail is able to reach a water line. Don’t fuck this guy over for doing a job you hired him to do.
that's the problem when people don't have a clue,....:D

buck35

Reaction score
Do you have an attic ? If so then climb up and find the source,or rule that out.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
If the guy put nail thru a pipe it should be easy to find.

Start checking the walls on the opposite side of bathrooms/ kitchen.

Given the age and location of your house, a pin hole is also a possibility.

WYRD

Reaction score
Put yore man bun in a ponytail, grab some work boots and man up. If you don't know how educate yourself on YouTube...ain't that difficult

NicPaus

Reaction score
To bad you live up North. I would bring by everything needed to get you dried out and restored. Just bought another pallet of blowers and dehumidifiers that are ready to go...

SixD9R

Reaction score
Well grads- since you have so much free time on your hands, tear that wall out and get fixing:D

In all seriousness, you could probably do the entire job for a few hundy's and not have to deal with finding a new insurance company that will hit you with much higher rates due to your recent claims. You will end up way ahead in the long run plus, while you are fixing the wall you won't be attention whoring on RDP.

Last edited:

DC-88

Reaction score
Sounds like the finish carpenter was the messenger that the plumber forgot a nail plate in an older tract house. It happens. We just ran over to Visalia this week and did 2 houses of crown in a new tract. Really low quality units, and this was on my mind while we were there. With Pex the nail can stick in there for years before it leaks.

Last edited:

Singleton

Reaction score
Yep, I'm thinking this is it. So make the crown moulding guy pay for it if this is true?

That would be a waste of time. The contract you signed for the crown most likely has a clause that states not responsible for damage caused due to unmarked or unprotected pipes.

Call out a water mitigation company (servepro, etc) and have them determine where the leak is. They will give estimate on removal of damaged area and drying process. Then determine if you want to do it yourself or pay. Over Thanksgiving we had water get into the house due to a gutter extension being kicked off and not draining the water correctly. Servepro came out, pin pointed what caused the issue and what needed to be removed. Gave quote to remove damaged area and dry. I went to HomeDepot and did it myself for 1/3 the cost. After the holidays I will patch the areas of drywall I had to remove and fix the floor.

Your bigger issue is if you opened a claim with insurance and then close it, you will still be asked to provide evidence everything was resolved (damage removed and area dry). I opened and then closed my claim when I found out my leak was due to improper drainage around house. Cert cost me $200 from servepro to get a document stating everything damaged was removed and wood dried to required specs. Already got doc from SF stating claim is closed and required work was done to dismiss and purge claim from account.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
What this guy said

Tell them you suspect damage by the contractor and ask them to find it. Should be pretty evident with a nail hanging out of a pipe. If damage is found then document it and turn everything over to your insurance company.

Insurance companies are not too happy to pay for damages caused by others so they will seek reimbursement from the contractor.

That would be a waste of time. The contract you signed for the crown most likely has a clause that states not responsible for damage caused due to unmarked or unprotected pipes.

Call out a water mitigation company (servepro, etc) and have them determine where the leak is. They will give estimate on removal of damaged area and drying process. Then determine if you want to do it yourself or pay. Over Thanksgiving we had water get into the house due to a gutter extension being kicked off and not draining the water correctly. Servepro came out, pin pointed what caused the issue and what needed to be removed. Gave quote to remove damaged area and dry. I went to HomeDepot and did it myself for 1/3 the cost. After the holidays I will patch the areas of drywall I had to remove and fix the floor.

Your bigger issue is if you opened a claim with insurance and then close it, you will still be asked to provide evidence everything was resolved (damage removed and area dry). I opened and then closed my claim when I found out my leak was due to improper drainage around house. Cert cost me $200 from servepro to get a document stating everything damaged was removed and wood dried to required specs. Already got doc from SF stating claim is closed and required work was done to dismiss and purge claim from account.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Of course you young guys prefer no carpets. :D;)

But do the carpets match the drapes? :D:cool:

Of course Im kidding. I would never have carpet in main areas like great rooms, kitchen etc, but a really high end carpet with a thick pad is pretty nice and is hard to beat comfort wise. We are building a new home and we put carpet ina few bedrooms. Our current home is all modern maple.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
You have every responsibily to make an attempt to mitigate damage once discovered else can considered contributory negligence, same concept as driving an "known" unsafe vehicle or (fill in the blank) . We Came home years ago to water literately pouring out the front and back doors , a water hose to our washer had burst, damage was huge , Insurance paid no questions but agent admonished us to not have another one ... (That pissed me off like I wanted 2 weeks of remediation right ?) .... a year later we got a supplement check from the "Gates Hose" company , Our insurer had subrogated against them as it was thier hose that was the causal piece , I was surprised as those hoses were in place for quite sometime ... additionally we replace all "stinger hoses in the house with braided stainless types ......I frequently look at mechanical claims where the operator failed to protect by continuing to operate after the failure onset became apparent,

Last edited:

GRADS

Reaction score
it's the plumbers fault....they're supposed to have steel straps to prevent nails from going in to the pipes..... if it was a re plumb.... changed out the copper. then they probably never plated the top plate....
How do you plate a pipe when it goes down a wall vertically? All of the plumbing in our house is run in the attic and then drops down to the shower, sinks etc. I don't think I would see the leak in the attic, my guess it is in the wall and dripping down the wall because we are noticing the water at the base boards. If it was in the ceiling I'm pretty sure the ceiling would show signs of water.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
You have every responsibily to make an attempt to mitigate damage once discovered else can considered contributory negligence, same concept as driving an "known" unsafe vehicle or (fill in the blank) . We Came home years ago to water literately pouring out the front and back doors , a water hose to our washer had burst, damage was huge , Insurance paid no questions but agent admonished us to not have another one ... (That pissed me off like I wanted 2 weeks of remediation right ?) .... a year later we got a supplement check from the "Gates Hose" company , Our insurer had subrogated against them as it was thier hose that was the causal piece , I was surprised as those hoses were in place for quite sometime ... additionally we replace all "stinger hoses in the house with braided stainless types ......I frequently look at mechanical claims where the operator failed to protect by continuing to operate after the failure onset became apparent,
Thanks, good reminder. I am checking hoses now.
Grads, if you know where the pipes are, that might be a clue where to start.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Is there any one area that seems wetter than the other? Start there is it on the backside of a bathroom or other water source? If the house is more than 20 years old and has copper piping it may be a pinhole leak. If there is soft drywall in the area that’s where I would start tearing stuff out.No matter what you find there was no mold. LOL

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
What color is the water? It could be the supreme golden shower you've wished for all these years come to wash you out......:eek:

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
House was dry, 5 days later it's soaked?
Not a finish nail penetration.

84miller

Reaction score
How do you plate a pipe when it goes down a wall vertically? All of the plumbing in our house is run in the attic and then drops down to the shower, sinks etc. I don't think I would see the leak in the attic, my guess it is in the wall and dripping down the wall because we are noticing the water at the base boards. If it was in the ceiling I'm pretty sure the ceiling would show signs of water.

Water leaks can be very tricky. My whole bedroom was torn apart down to the studs, professional fix going on, showed me where the leak was, day before new drywall installation, major rain storm! Bedroom was flooded. Wound up there was a hole in the flashing on the roof. So professionals can be wrong, lucky the rain hit with the drywall down. Saying all that, get a professional to come take a look. You may have wanted get one before contacting the insurance as even if you pay all out of pocket, you have a call in. Insurance SUCKS, use it and you get screwed.

buck35

Reaction score
Water leaks can be very tricky. My whole bedroom was torn apart down to the studs, professional fix going on, showed me where the leak was, day before new drywall installation, major rain storm! Bedroom was flooded. Wound up there was a hole in the flashing on the roof. So professionals can be wrong, lucky the rain hit with the drywall down. Saying all that, get a professional to come take a look. You may have wanted get one before contacting the insurance as even if you pay all out of pocket, you have a call in. Insurance SUCKS, use it and you get screwed.

Good call, wasn't grads asking about a reroof of too long ago?