WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Skater 368, from the beginning.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Steve that thing is truly a dream boat!

Make sure to post the final rendering...gotta make sure I color coordinate my ensemble!
(I’ll be the guy on the dock with about half a tanks worth of gas money in one hand and my hitchhiking thumb out with the other hand!)

noli

Reaction score
In all honesty, I'm not paying any attention. They all look the same until they hit the paint booth, rigging line, thats when they become interesting. There are probably 12-15 boats being built at a time. All phases of construction. The ones that get your attention are the 438's and 46's because they are just so massive.

It is cool to see one go through the process then see it at events.

would love to see some pics of the 46....massive!

Joe mama

Reaction score
Colors are awesome I feel the white breaks it up a bit which I like.
Thanks for posting very cool process.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score

would love to see some pics of the 46....massive!

rrr.jpg

That's a lotta boat.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
That's a lotta paint!
From a car guy point of view, the effort to get anything that size straight and pretty, is impressive. Custom car paint work can take 6 months and up...if nobody screws up. They deal in quarts and gallons...these guys are going for pallets and drums!
Do they only have one "trigger man" laying the paint? Is he the guy you're dealing with for the artwork? Transferring ideas from an 18x36 sketch to a 36 or 46 foot canvas is some tallent. Looking really good so far, going to be amazing to see it get color;)

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
That's a lotta paint!
From a car guy point of view, the effort to get anything that size straight and pretty, is impressive. Custom car paint work can take 6 months and up...if nobody screws up. They deal in quarts and gallons...these guys are going for pallets and drums!
Do they only have one "trigger man" laying the paint? Is he the guy you're dealing with for the artwork? Transferring ideas from an 18x36 sketch to a 36 or 46 foot canvas is some tallent. Looking really good so far, going to be amazing to see it get color;)

the guy in the boat is the painter. He is who I am directly dealing with.

That 46’ was I think 2 months in the booth. The painter and his son do it all. He is an extraordinarily talented individual.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Steve that thing is truly a dream boat!

Make sure to post the final rendering...gotta make sure I color coordinate my ensemble!
(I’ll be the guy on the dock with about half a tanks worth of gas money in one hand and my hitchhiking thumb out with the other hand!)
Tommy, you better make sure you wear a snorkel too so that you don't drown when I push you off the dock and take your seat. :D

Last edited:

StevieHops

Reaction score
the guy in the boat is the painter. He is who I am directly dealing with.

That 46’ was I think 2 months in the booth. The painter and his son do it all. He is an extraordinarily talented individual.

What type of paint do they use? Do they paint the bottom too or is it gel?

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
What type of paint do they use? Do they paint the bottom too or is it gel?

I am not painting the bottom. With our water out here, I want it white. They use a white gelcoat, not sure if they add white paint to the bottom in the paint shop, good question.

As far as what type of paint, I have no clue. I know exactly ZERO about paint.

precisiondetails

Reaction score
is this hull #1 or have they been building 46's for a while?

They have been building 46s since the early 90s there are a lot of them out there. In fact there is currently a good thread on the history of the 46s over at OSO right now.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Tommy, you better make sure you wear a snorkel too so that you don't drown when I push you off the dock and take your seat. :D

No snorkel needed!
I float pretty good!

Honestly I’ve never been in any kind of boat even remotely close to Steve’s Skater.
I’ll need instructions just to ride in the damn thing.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
That looks fantastic!
But it says 388, not 368?

I can see that I have some devious “work” to do you keep Jeff out of my seat!’
Lol.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
That looks fantastic!
But it says 388, not 368?

I can see that I have some devious “work” to do you keep Jeff out of my seat!’
Lol.

Yea, its just a 388 template. Its also an 8 man cockpit. Mine is a 6 man 368.

You and Jeff will have to meet in the "docktagon" to settle it. :D

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Yea, its just a 388 template. Its also an 8 man cockpit. Mine is a 6 man 368.

You and Jeff will have to meet in the "docktagon" to settle it. :D

Im on it. Been riding the stationary bike everyday and almost done smoking!
I think I can take him!!!
(Or I’ll just ride in a different seat!)

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
For the love of GOD...don't encourage him. :cool:

Maybe a wrap? :p
Oh please, that's not how you roll and everyone knows it. It will either be paint or what I predicted from the start. Baby Peterbilt or KW is in your future. An all red one would be the best place to start but white works too.:D
Now if I can just foresee the lottery numbers.

Last edited:

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Sure hope to see this gorgeous machine fly by our house someday.
The offer always stands for a room.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Oh please, that's not how you roll and everyone knows it. It will either be paint or what I predicted from the start. Baby Peterbilt is in your future. An all red one would be the best place to start but white works too.:D
Now if I can just foresee the lottery numbers.

why in the hell would I need a baby Pete? My Sport Chassis is the perfect tow rig for this boat?

you were right about that, but this...no so much :)

Sure hope to see this gorgeous machine fly by our house someday.
The offer always stands for a room.

If we don’t make DS, we’ll roll into Big Cat for sure. Hoping to do both.

Riverryder

Reaction score
why in the hell would I need a baby Pete? My Sport Chassis is the perfect tow rig for this boat?

you were right about that, but this...no so much :)

If we don’t make DS, we’ll roll into Big Cat for sure. Hoping to do both.

Your sport chassis is badass but pulling it with a red peterbuilt would be so awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

precisiondetails

Reaction score
What gets lost in all this is the amazing performance of Skater.

the 368 was originally built off the regular 36. Pete widened it 8 inches for the then newly formed super cat lite class which limited the power to stock merc 525s.

Teague had one of the 1st ones him and the Motley Crew 368 absolutely dominated the class along with Peppers new 368.

Teague holds the class record speed of 131
With the 525s. I bet a full carbon race lay up pleasure 368 with 700s would run close to 140. As the 1st 368 has been 135.

Nganga states that a 368 is big. All Skaters dwarf the other brands, they are naturally big and they also normally hold a lot more fuel than the competition and yet are still consistently multiple mph faster!
With 1100s it would run 175+

Last edited:

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
What gets lost in all this is the amazing performance of Skater.

the 368 was originally built off the regular 36. Pete widened it 8 inches for the then newly formed super cat lite class which limited the power to stock merc 525s.

Teague had one of the 1st ones him and the Motley Crew 368 absolutely dominated the class along with Peppers new 368.

Teague holds the class record speed of 131
With the 525s. I bet a full carbon race lay up pleasure 368 with 700s would run close to 140. As the 1st 368 has been 135.

Nganga states that a 368 is big. All Skaters dwarf the other brands, they are naturally big and they also normally hold a lot more fuel than the competition and yet are still consistently multiple mph faster!
With 1100s it would run 175+

PD is correct. A Skater 368 has a running surface of 35' 2" I believe & it is and is 10' 8" wide. In comparison to other large cats, a DCB M44 is VERY near the same running length as a 368. I believe Precision Details has an ariel photo of two side by side.

Not talking down DCB, just comparing how big a Skater 368 is in comparison.

precisiondetails

Reaction score
PD is correct. A Skater 368 has a running surface of 35' 2" I believe & it is and is 10' 8" wide. In comparison to other large cats, a DCB M44 is VERY near the same running length as a 368. I believe Precision Details has an ariel photo of two side by side.

Not talking down DCB, just comparing how big a Skater 368 is in comparison.
The 368 has a running surface of 36

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Love your new build and the paint design. Fun stuff building a new boat. It looks like your in no hurry and enjoying the entire process. Awesome

Thank you. It's not that I'm in no hurry but, can't really do anything to hurry the process, so I may as well just enjoy the ride. I knew what I was in for when I wired the first payment.

I watch your build with interest as well. You may have read that we visited MTI the day after Skater. That was ~January 20th, 2019. Randy told me he could deliver a 36RP, September. Hope to meet you at DS, we'll be there as long as my boat is finished.

precisiondetails

Reaction score
Thank you. It's not that I'm in no hurry but, can't really do anything to hurry the process, so I may as well just enjoy the ride. I knew what I was in for when I wired the first payment.

I watch your build with interest as well. You may have read that we visited MTI the day after Skater. That was ~January 20th, 2019. Randy told me he could deliver a 36RP, September. Hope to meet you at DS, we'll be there as long as my boat is finished.

To bad a 36 MTI is like the size of a 32 Skater

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Spent about an hour and a half on the phone yesterday with the painter. Worked out all the details of the paint. Got this update today from Tony. They're working on the windshield/cockpit register. Looks like he's marking it for cut-down. Bustle appears to be coming along well also.

register installed.jpg

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Will you fly back for the final fitment of the windshield height? Everything about Skater building a new boat is fantastic, other than the wait.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Will you fly back for the final fitment of the windshield height? Everything about Skater building a new boat is fantastic, other than the wait.

Probably. I talked to Tony about it. I'm going back when paint is near done or done. Really don't want to make three more trips back. Gotta do two for sure. The one to pick it up will be the fun one.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Probably. I talked to Tony about it. I'm going back when paint is near done or done. Really don't want to make three more trips back. Gotta do two for sure. The one to pick it up will be the fun one.
How are you going to see around your chubby to drive home? You gonna make Lori drive so that you can stare in the side mirrors all the way home and wave to people? :D LOL

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
How are you going to see around your chubby to drive home? You gonna make Lori drive so that you can stare in the side mirrors all the way home and wave to people? :D LOL

As it stands now, I'm goin solo. After the last trip to Skater, hauling the trailer out, Lori said "That's a whole lotta nope." Some company would be nice but I understand that's a YUGE commitment.

Last trip we stayed in hotels every night. This time, I'm gonna go like hell, sleep in rest areas, eat lousy food and drink lots of coffee. Thinkin 6 days round trip. That's with one full day at Skater.

Last edited:

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
That is a road trip and adventure for sure and while I hear your underlying invite, there is now way I'm spending any time in a confined space with you with the raging chubby you will have. :D
I prefer to wait till some of the newness will wear off for you.

Lol

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
That is a road trip and adventure for sure and while I hear your underlying invite, there is now way I'm spending any time in a confined space with you with the raging chubby you will have. :D
I prefer to wait till some of the newness will wear off for you.

Lol

Ha! The Sport Chassis ain’t a confined space. But whatever. I’m sure I can convince someone to go.