WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Grand Canyon Rafting Trip

River918

Reaction score
Looking at possibly doing a rafting trip at the Grand Canyon this spring. For those that have done it, how was it and what company did you use? Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
B

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
My father in law has done a few of these I will ask him as soon as I get off my ass and go back upstairs.

DWC

Reaction score
I did one 30+ years ago. Don’t remember the company but it was one of the top vacations I’ve ever taken. Awesome to watch the GC evolve from the start to when they coptered us out a week later.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Looking at possibly doing a rafting trip at the Grand Canyon this spring. For those that have done it, how was it and what company did you use? Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
B

Wait lists can be 18 months out.
Try to get it planned/reserved now

Dan'l

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
This is the only bucket list item I haven't checked off.

Gonna be watching this thread...

NicPaus

Reaction score
One of my river neighbors is a guide. Not sure what outfit he works for but looks like fun from all the pics he posts. I will ask him next time I see him.

dave29

Reaction score
Did it quite a few years ago. The company was owned/ run by Morman's. Last thing they did before we boarded the boats was stop by a liquor store so we could all get our booze. Food was killer and every night they walked around with ice so we could mix our cocktails. Oh yeah, the trip was great. 6 days 5 nights. Lava Falls, the whole works.
My wife will remember the company when she wake's up.

Reactions: DWC

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score
Not the Grand Canyon, but last year we did the river from Moab down to Lake Powell. We went through the company Oars and it was great. They also do the GC.

jet496

Reaction score
Not the Grand Canyon, but last year we did the river from Moab down to Lake Powell. We went through the company Oars and it was great. They also do the GC.
That would be cool to do both trips. I never thought of this Moab one, but rafting from Powell to Meade has always been a thought.

We used to take our boats up into the Grand Canyon from Meade as far as gas or rapids would allow (we'd talk to the rafters to ask them how much further we could go) & it's Gods' country in there.

KevinR

Reaction score
Thread Hijack.

Those were great days. In the early 1970s through early 80s we would go to Mead the week after Labor Day with the Lake Arrowhead Water Ski Club. We would launch each day out of Hemenway and go to Little Sandy or the bay just beyond and left of Middle Point for the day. But one day each year we would plan a caravan (boatavan?) to the Grand Canyon. Maybe 6-8 boats, flatties and daycruisers.

Last edited:

Howardflat

Bad MFer
Reaction score
I did this last year with a group of friends. The company we did it with was Arizona River Runners. We did the paddle boats which i highly recommend. They seat 4 people and a guide. Food was awesome crew was awesome. We did 8 nights i think. Might be wrong. Our trip was June 6th through the 13th. Weather was perfect. Any hotter and it would have been hard to sleep at night. They give you all the sleeping stuff but its your choice to sleep in a tent or out in the open. A tent would have been too hot for me so i slept in the open. Buy your alcohol through them before hand. it was actually reasonably priced. We chose to hike down the south rim which was the start of our trip. took us six hours to hike 8 miles down to the river. Don't take this hike lightly. I'm not in great shape but i walked for a month prior to the hike and it kicked my butt. we decided to carry all our gear on our backs which if i did it again i would pay to have the donkeys take my pack down. Even though its all down hill its hard on your legs and knees. Break in your hiking shoes way in advance. You don't need as much clean clothes as you think. It was one of the best trips of my life and i highly recommend it. Any questions feel free to ask.

dave29

Reaction score
Did it quite a few years ago. The company was owned/ run by Morman's. Last thing they did before we boarded the boats was stop by a liquor store so we could all get our booze. Food was killer and every night they walked around with ice so we could mix our cocktails. Oh yeah, the trip was great. 6 days 5 nights. Lava Falls, the whole works.
My wife will remember the company when she wake's up.
The name of the company was Western Expeditions. It starts at the base of Lake Powells dam. In some areas you're as much as a mile in the canyon. Very little wind or breeze. If you can, do it before it gets hot in June.