WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

"I ain't cookin' you breakfast buddie" - COSTCO Food samples

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
tumblr_ooy1xrGsxY1slch00o1_400.png

Anyone like to hit all the food sample tables at COSTCO?

I was there this morning and a sample lady told a guy that kept helping himself she "ain't cookin' him breakfast."

Do you ever buy the product being sampled?

There were some guys there a few months back from Central Cali with some terrific breads,, but don't see their bread on the COSTCO shelf at all.
They don't always stick around very long.

images

Sherpa

Reaction score
I've asked the food sample host people. If corporate policy allows them to tell those who over indulge to move along; no more freebies for them.

They're not allowed to say anything.

Here in the Bay Area certain nationalities really take advantage of it all........

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I've asked the food sample host people. If corporate policy allows them to tell those who over indulge to move along; no more freebies for them.

Here in the Bay Area certain nationalities really take advantage of it all........

MY SIL does it. No one told her anything.
“It’s a sample, not a meal” she’d tell the poachers.

The sample people don't work for COSTCO. They work for the food vendors or several services that do this for the food companies.

Last edited:

TeamGreene

Reaction score
Totally pisses me off when people lose their minds over a mini muffin paper baking cup with a portion of a cracker in it. It's one of the things I hate about Costco and wish they'd stop. The other is constantly moving products in the store.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score

racist...

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
My wife has OCD with these damn samples. I take the cart and she will run off to every damn one.
Me-I don't want any samples
Her-Runs off into the crowd*
Her-I got you some samples
Me-I told you I didn't want any, you eat it
Her-I don't like this, I got it for you

Rinse and repeat pretty much every Costco trip. She'll nibble on probably 1% of the things she picks up, but she HAS to get them regardless of what I say. It's weird.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
The Costco I go to is just a few miles from Leisure Village and those retirees are rude as fuck. They'll run your ass over to get to a fresh batch of samples, take several and worst of all clog the aisles so people actually shopping can't get by. 99.9% of the time I got zero interest in these samples anyhow.
I choose my Costco shopping hours wisely.

boatpi

Reaction score
Workers
Call it the Costco Buffett

fmo24

Reaction score
[QUOTE="TeamGreene, post: 3568984, The other is constantly moving products in the store.[/QUOTE]
I just read about why the constant movement. They don’t want you going in and bee lining for specific items. Also said most costly items are up front. In other words items they are pushing are up front and regular less expensive stuff is near back of store. Article was pretty interesting

fishing fool

Reaction score
I do not eat the samples and get very mad when pople stop in the middle to get one. I have and will continue to run into their cart and push it down another aisle. I have to take a xanax just to walk into a Costco

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
The sample stations are just a place for a traffic jam and it drives me crazy to try an push though the vultures waiting for a new batch of whatever is being served. I also have seen entire families opening a box of candy for example and walk around eating it, then dumping the remaining box on another isle. I guess they consider every good item a sample.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
[QUOTE="TeamGreene, post: 3568984, The other is constantly moving products in the store.
I just read about why the constant movement. They don’t want you going in and bee lining for specific items. Also said most costly items are up front. In other words items they are pushing are up front and regular less expensive stuff is near back of store. Article was pretty interesting
Consumer retail tactics 101. :)
Impulse purchases fill your cart(s) with those expensive items as opposed to your general daily consumables.

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score
I go to Costco maybe 2-3 times a year. As stated, drugs and change of mindset are the only way I can survive! One time at Stater Bros. my husband was is disgusted with rude people leaving their carts in the middle of the isle refusing to move, he picked up a guys cart and slammed it down ( he lifts weights) out of the way so he could get by :eek:. He felt bad about it later. He’ll go to Costco with me but I worry:confused:
Some :D

Last edited:

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
My wife has OCD with these damn samples. I take the cart and she will run off to every damn one.
Me-I don't want any samples
Her-Runs off into the crowd*
Her-I got you some samples
Me-I told you I didn't want any, you eat it
Her-I don't like this, I got it for you

Rinse and repeat pretty much every Costco trip. She'll nibble on probably 1% of the things she picks up, but she HAS to get them regardless of what I say. It's weird.
My father in law is like that, but because it’s free. His analogy is they are paid to hand out samples, it doesn’t make any difference if I take one or seven, they’re free and samples. After going to Costco twice with him I will never go there with him again. He’s the guy that always asks the sellers at the Pomona car swap meet, “what’s the lowest you’ll take?” And he never has any intention on buying it either. Don’t get me started, he’s a real piece of work.

gqchris

Reaction score
Didnt the recent shooting that happened at a Costco occur while in line for a sample? No thanks. That shit needs to go bye bye. The one at Bella Terra in HB myswell be Bangkok. My Dad had to leave when I took him a few months back when he was visiting from Tennesee. Two Tour Vet.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I remember this came up a few years ago and someone referred to the people eating the samples as cattle that are grazing.. lol

I’ll be honest if they didn’t have samples I wouldn’t go to Costco! It’s literally one of the main reasons I go with Stacy is to try the stuff and buy it if I like it

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Didnt the recent shooting that happened at a Costco occur while in line for a sample?
Yep, start shoving and you'll get shot...
"They said they pleaded desperately for off-duty Officer Salvador Sanchez, who they say identified himself as a policeman, not to shoot their son after Kenneth either bumped into or struck the officer, who was holding his 18-month-old son at a sample stand in the store."

PlanB

Reaction score
I used to have to go to Costco weekly for our business. I hated having to navigate around the retards. Now I hate going in that place.

calkid

Reaction score
I find it totally annoying when several people just abandon their carts in the middle of an aisle and park their fat asses at a sample station.

Same group of people that stop and hang out at the top and bottom of the escalator's in Laughlin!

nameisbond

Reaction score
The sample people are employed by a subsidiary of Costco. They charge retailers for the service. Retailer also supplies the product. I forget what they charge. But we sold out our apple juice product when we did sampling at Costco.

78Southwind

Reaction score
I use to think it was cool when it first started because you got to try something new and if you liked it you could buy the item right there. Now I steer clear with all these crazy people using it feed themselves lunch. I feel like I am at some third world cockfighting event.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Some of you guys need to go live under a rock :)

I don’t mind Costco, I like the samples but pull off to the side when possible. We try to go on a weeknight though.

McKay

Reaction score
Thank God our Costco by my office opens at 7:00AM. Pretty much empty. And it is the Largest Costco in the US. Has a lot of different stuff others don't have.

Sherpa

Reaction score
I just relocate the cart for them... 3 or 4 aisles away, half way down an aisle. it works much better when the cart is full.

I already relocate these idiot's carts way down isles.......... But now I'm also gonna start dropping in items into the carts as well...

--great ideas here!

--Sherpa

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
My favorite was little Oscar. He gave out samples and Weiner whistles. Arrived in the weiner mobile.
2260C98C-A0C0-45E8-A889-8740D3A79711.jpeg
F714A0EF-1403-49E9-8D4B-11E6071E3145.jpeg
5F743FD0-15EC-4D60-8AC4-CD1B40BF7376.jpeg

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
When a cart is left unattended I always freely shop out of it, if there’s nothing that interests me I’ll add a few unrelated items.

Carrera205

Reaction score
The Costco I go to is just a few miles from Leisure Village and those retirees are rude as fuck. They'll run your ass over to get to a fresh batch of samples, take several and worst of all clog the aisles so people actually shopping can't get by. 99.9% of the time I got zero interest in these samples anyhow.
I choose my Costco shopping hours wisely.
I go to Costco in Laguna Hills aka "heavens waiting room" and have the same issue. The retirees are extremely rude, will crash into you with their carts and 90 percent look at my self my wife and kids with disgust. There is a small percentage who like children but most of them just seem angry to be alive haha. And they are all sample whores.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
If the highlight of my existence is free fucking food samples at Costco, then I’d really need to evaluate the life choices that led me to this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score
I am going to do this
I do this often, by the time they start to walk back to their cart, they have no idea where it's at, the look on their faces, funny shit. I also like to put random things in peoples carts, so immature, but I love it. Hey, if you are going to stop in the middle of a busy isle and just walk away and leave your shit, bnag, you are a target.

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score
Thank God our Costco by my office opens at 7:00AM. Pretty much empty. And it is the Largest Costco in the US. Has a lot of different stuff others don't have.
Is this the Salt Lake Costco? That place is crazy, I took mu mother in law there just before Christmas, thought she was going to stroke out.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I go to Costco in Laguna Hills aka "heavens waiting room" and have the same issue. The retirees are extremely rude, will crash into you with their carts and 90 percent look at my self my wife and kids with disgust. There is a small percentage who like children but most of them just seem angry to be alive haha. And they are all sample whores.
Lol, yup, Leisure Village, aka seizure village, aka God's waiting room.:)
Wonder how long til I fit that mold?:eek: I'm well aware of the way some seniors conduct themselves and I make conscious efforts not to let myself go that route.....except the cynical part:p:D:D

Tank

Reaction score
interesting bit of Costco trivia -

* Costco hasn't raised their hot dog and a soda price since 1984 because it satisfies customers and satisfied customers will spend more while shopping.
* Yes, the Kirkland Vodka brand in the tall bottle is actually the same stuff as Grey Goose. It's bottled at Grey Gooses previous facility across the street from the current facility. Matter of fact, "Kirkland Signature Series" is just re-labeled top selling brands. Diapers are huggies, batteries are Duracell, Kirkland Jeans are made by Lee, etc.
* Their gasoline is ranked as the most cost efficient in the Country.
* They are the second largest car dealer in the Country and the second largest retailer in the Country.
* They are one of Americas largest Pizza chains.
* They have a history of conflict with major brands:

Tiffany & Company: In February of 2013, the jewelry company filed a multimillion-dollar lawsuit because Costco was selling rings labeled “Tiffany engagement rings,” despite the jewelry not being authentic.

Apple: Costco stopped carrying Apple products in 2010, after only being allowed to sell the iPod in stores and being barred from selling any Apple products online. An ongoing animosity seems to exist between the companies.

Coca-Cola: After Coca-Cola failed to give Costco the price they wanted, the retailer took all of the soda off their shelves in 2009. This lasted about a month, until Costco felt they had won the negotiation battle. In 2013, Costco pulled Coca-Cola from their food courts and replaced it with Pepsi after a similar price disagreement.

Starbucks: Starbucks once failed to pass along savings to Costco after a price cut in coffee beans, which led the warehouse to threaten to pull all of their coffee products from their stores. Starbucks chairman Howard Schultz reportedly called Costco owner Jim Sinegal and asked, “Who do you think you are? The price police?” Sinegal answered, “yes.”

* The high end watches are routinely not purchased directly from the manufacturer - Breitling, Rolex and Omega have all expressed their displeasure (and in some cases lawsuit) over Costco buying "grey market" watches voiding their factory warranty. However, Costco does stand behind it's products and will refund money for any watch purchases if the buyer is unhappy.

* Number 1 selling item? Toilet paper

* On average their stores bring in about $500,000 per day in revenue. Ohau, Hawaii is their #1 U.S. revenue store.

* Costco's stock has climbed 410% in the past 10 years!

Interesting financial report.

http://www.annualreports.com/HostedData/AnnualReports/PDF/NASDAQ_COST_2018.pdf

Last edited:

infield

Reaction score
I have a membership but I consider it to be a very poor imitation of Sam's Club. I always have to leave Costco and go to Sam's to get the stuff I want. I needed a new video camera 3 or 4 years ago and Costco had none. I told the help I would just go to Sam's and they said oh no way they have them but they were wrong. Had several models to choose from.

PlanB

Reaction score
interesting bit of Costco trivia -

* Costco hasn't raised their hot dog and a soda price since 1984 because it satisfies customers and satisfied customers will spend more while shopping.
* Yes, the Kirkland Vodka brand in the tall bottle is actually the same stuff as Grey Goose. It's bottled at Grey Gooses previous facility across the street from the current facility. Matter of fact, "Kirkland Signature Series" is just re-labeled top selling brands. Diapers are huggies, batteries are Duracell, Kirkland Jeans are made by Lee, etc.
* Their gasoline is ranked as the most cost efficient in the Country.
* They are the second largest car dealer in the Country and the second largest retailer in the Country.
* They are one of Americas largest Pizza chains.
* They have a history of conflict with major brands:

Tiffany & Company: In February of 2013, the jewelry company filed a multimillion-dollar lawsuit because Costco was selling rings labeled “Tiffany engagement rings,” despite the jewelry not being authentic.

Apple: Costco stopped carrying Apple products in 2010, after only being allowed to sell the iPod in stores and being barred from selling any Apple products online. An ongoing animosity seems to exist between the companies.

Coca-Cola: After Coca-Cola failed to give Costco the price they wanted, the retailer took all of the soda off their shelves in 2009. This lasted about a month, until Costco felt they had won the negotiation battle. In 2013, Costco pulled Coca-Cola from their food courts and replaced it with Pepsi after a similar price disagreement.

Starbucks: Starbucks once failed to pass along savings to Costco after a price cut in coffee beans, which led the warehouse to threaten to pull all of their coffee products from their stores. Starbucks chairman Howard Schultz reportedly called Costco owner Jim Sinegal and asked, “Who do you think you are? The price police?” Sinegal answered, “yes.”

* The high end watches are routinely not purchased directly from the manufacturer - Breitling, Rolex and Omega have all expressed their displeasure (and in some cases lawsuit) over Costco buying "grey market" watches voiding their factory warranty. However, Costco does stand behind it's products and will refund money for any watch purchases if the buyer is unhappy.

* Number 1 selling item? Toilet paper

* On average their stores bring in about $500,000 per day in revenue. Ohau, Hawaii is their #1 selling store.

* Costco's stock has climbed 410% in the past 10 years!

Interesting financial report.

http://www.annualreports.com/HostedData/AnnualReports/PDF/NASDAQ_COST_2018.pdf

I was listening to local radio recently and they were talking about Costco. Supposedly they make very little profit on the products they sell, but the bulk of their profit is made off of membership dues.

oldschool

Reaction score
I think we’ve officially run out of problems.