WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

the Ultimate unicorn, Factory Diesel Suburban 1500/2500

sintax

Reaction score
6.5 diesel in an equally as bad chassis and electrical system. Its the ultimate, but not in any good way...

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Dad owned a chevy dealership back then, these things were crap, in the shop constantly, it wasnt an engine designed to be a diesel from the start but rather some sort of poorly done conversion, GM pulled the plug after a few years

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Dad owned a chevy dealership back then, these things were crap, in the shop constantly, it wasnt an engine designed to be a diesel from the start but rather some sort of poorly done conversion, GM pulled the plug after a few years

The 5.7 olds diesel was the gas converted one. Not the 6.2/6.5 and 6.5 turbo diesel. Totally different engine.

Fairly reliable in stock form, sounds like this 6.5 has had the bugs worked out. Decent fuel mileage, modest hp, but still less horsepower than first generation powerstrokes ('94.5-'97's)

Although pre Duramax engines, there is a lot of similarities.

Dan'l

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
6.2s and 6.5s aren't bad, as long as you don't compare them to modern stuff. Program them, fuel them and do either water injection or an intercooler...and you have an early powerstroke. Not for this 9500$ entry fee though. There are a couple running around up here, so not a super unicorn. Some diesel die hards hop them up, start with late model Humvee engines. Stronger block and better cooling.

ramos45

Reaction score
Duraburbs are a hard find as well. Were those custom or were they manufactured from the plant?

4Waters

Reaction score
Duraburbs are a hard find as well. Were those custom or were they manufactured from the plant?
These are factory, fire departments bought the shit out of these for their battalion chiefs. I believe they were pretty reliable, @Rsqfxr could probably shed some light on the reliability or problems.

ramos45

Reaction score
These are factory, fire departments bought the shit out of these for their battalion chiefs. I believe they were pretty reliable, @Rsqfxr could probably shed some light on the reliability or problems.
Thanks for the clarification. I'm not looking further into this, was just curious since on topic of Suburbans. I'm a fan of the Excursion with 7.3

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Duraburbs I don't believe were ever a factory deal. Every one I have seen was given a small body lift to clear the Allison tranny. I would think a factory deal they would have used a de-tuned 6.6 and a 4l80, like they did in the vans. I know weird stuff does sneak out of the factories though. Remember the odd GMC with the electric rear steer? There is a Suburban in the neighboring area with that...factory foolishness to the extreme. It has the slightly fatter fender flares and marker lights. Supposedly one of a handful made.

infield

Reaction score
I had a 1995 K2500 GMC Suburban I owned for 22 years. I traded it off 2 weeks ago. Didn't get near that money of course. I got 206 thousand miles. It was my favorite all time vehicle that I kept in same as new condition. But it got to where I was afraid to get more than 50 miles from home and wouldn't dare leave it outside and expect it to start if it was colder than 50. Traded for a 2016 GMC Yukon XL Denali. Quite a nice ride.

Rsqfxr

Reaction score
The duraburbs were built in florida by the company duraburb, I’ve contemplated a build for many years even occasionally finding them used at a dealer in Georgia and another dealer in texas at the end of the day i ended up with a 2000 excursion 7.3 4x4, I think this was the better option for me since i know nothing about a duramax and I am mechanically familiar with both the 7.3 and know to stay away from the 6.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

braindead

Reaction score
Fuck that, That's the ultimate POS?

And duraburbs are not factory and sadly never will be