WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Stock market. Did you get out?

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Seems like it is a reasonable time to get into cash, maybe even short the market if you’re brave.

I got mostly out on Friday, and even put a small gamble in SQQQ.
That stock is a 3 times leverage shorting the S&P.

What are you guys doing? My guess is we will see a large correction or dip if and when Iran does make a move. Maybe as much as 10%. I’m usually wrong on every prediction, but at least sitting in cash for a bit won’t allow my gains to erode.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I don't have the coin, or the guts, to be in the market. I am however, curious about the actions of those who are. I am a very firm believer in "Trickle Down Economics". I have always recieved my pay from either people, or businesses, much wealthier than myself. So, in effect, the market's, and those in the market, play a large role in my well being. (As it does most Americans...there are just few in my tax bracket that choose to believe it.)

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Seems like it is a reasonable time to get into cash, maybe even short the market if you’re brave.

What are you guys doing? My guess is we will see a large correction or dip if and when Iran does make a move. Maybe as much as 10%. I’m usually wrong on every prediction, but at least sitting in cash for a bit won’t allow my gains to erode.

I'm paying someone to make these decisions for me now. That's what I'm doing! :p

caribbean20

Reaction score

My initial reaction was same as yours, but my wife and I decided to just let it ride. I’m a big fan of the “rule of 3s.” We are 1/3 real estate, 1/3 cash/fixed income and 1/3 equities. Works for us and we sleep well at night. Obviously age is a big factor and we are retired.

C08H18

Reaction score
This chart shows the MSCI world index returns after a correction. Historically, a correct of 10% or more only lasts 3 months and results in a 24% return within 12 months. The most recent December 2018 correction was similar.

I'm not getting out. I do some keep cash on hand to ride through corrections and to buy in immediately after.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 11.08.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 11.08.11 AM.png
    283.3 KB · Views: 109

2Driver

Reaction score
Claims to big gains in 2019 for the most part are only due to the fact the market tanked 2018 dec before the new year clicked over

if you bridge the REAL gains over the December drop (ie Oct 2018 to today) the real gain is like 9% over the last 15 months.
LOL but your Broker will happily let you think he made you 25% in 2019

EBT531

Reaction score
I buy and sell as it moves so I did real well in 2018, went to cash for a few months and got in and out in 2019 for decent gains. Right now everything is too high to buy so I'm waiting

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
I'm still in. I believe that the market is headed toward 40,000 at which point there will be a correction of 10-20%. After that the market will remain essentially flat for the next twenty years. The reason that I believe that is because it happened once before. Look at the market trends from 1920-1929 and it mirrors exactly what we are seeing right now, a market that is driven by investor enthusiasm much more that actual value. Then look what happened after the market crashed in 29 and the subsequent years. This is of course just my opinion and I'm by no means a market annalist so don't take my word for anything.

boatpi

Reaction score
I did 12.5% return in 2018.

DWC

Reaction score
No massive sell-off here. I was screaming at my “advisor “ last December. If it was me i would have pulled everything and ran. Thankfully, he was right and it bounced back. I’ll leave trying to time the market to those that have the knowledge and resources to do so.
We do move funds around based on market conditions and needs.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
I parked my money when Trump took office. Don't have time to look after it. The Dem's are throwing every rock they can find to crash the market. Then they are going to have a big, we fucked over everyone party.

DC-88

Reaction score
I parked my old SEP and have been putting in 60 day trailing stop orders 7% below price so if it keeps going up I gain, and in case I'm out of town or not paying attention whenever it tanks things will be sold --

jet496

Reaction score
It's just too damn hard to time when to get back in. I buy & hold, never ever trying to be a stock guru & time the market because absolutely nobody knows.

I lost big on Qualcomm trying to do that & that lesson has paid off big time for me.

When you think you're in, you're out & when you think you're out, you're in. Kind of like that.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Still a pretty long term time horizon ahead for us. Let it ride.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Staying the course just like I have for last 20 years of career.

I may play short term with a few stocks, but generally I rarely move money around. I like the dollar cost averaging method, rather than try to time the market.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score

I also was thinking of doing the same thing, But my wife says let it ride and see what happens on Election day. If president Trump does not get relected then Cash out of the market, Cause the market will Fall big time.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Still a pretty long term time horizon ahead for us. Let it ride.
Same here.... If/when there is a pullback in the market, it will be a good time to keep investing at discount prices.

Orange Juice

Reaction score

What do you actually own at the end of the day.....nothing until the exchange opens the next day.

I like hard assets, like a paid off home, car, boat, summer home, gold coins and silver.

Stocks, Bonds, are great too, if all is well in cow town.

retaocleg

Reaction score
zero debt and precious metals...….and when I say precious metals, I mean phys, not etf……...if you can't put it on the ground and draw a circle around it, you don't own it

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Ive still got 10 years left (hopefully) to build this folio into something bigger so I’m still in 40% equities , 40% bonds and 20% stable value

Reactions: DWC

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
I did so well in 2019
I’m thinking with this Iran stuff
I should take it out
Will this bomb throwing that is about to happen
What you all think
Good or bad for the stocks

MeCasa16

Reaction score
This missile attack just kicked off my short bet.

jet496

Reaction score
I parked my old SEP and have been putting in 60 day trailing stop orders 7% below price so if it keeps going up I gain, and in case I'm out of town or not paying attention whenever it tanks things will be sold --
I don't want
I did so well in 2019
I’m thinking with this Iran stuff
I should take it out
Will this bomb throwing that is about to happen
What you all think
Good or bad for the stocks
World crisis stuff like that is only emotionally driven & doesn't actually affect any given stock unless the company is based in the Middle East. I won't sell anything but I sure as hell will buy if the market tanks.

I think wall street uses it as an excuse to make money by artificially dropping stocks by dumping shit loads at a time & then scooping them up later & riding them back up knowing there was no real reason for the drop.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
All I’ve got is. What time does the sunset in Iran

The United States always starts off an attack at night.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I'd just relax enjoy your 2020 summer and wait for election time.

Reactions: mjc

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Might be selling some tomorrow if the market doesn't open way down.

GRADS

Reaction score
Oh one other thing....my return was around 80% for the year....BOOM! I know it's not smart to not be diversified but it paid off this year. Most of ours is in AAPL.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Oh one other thing....my return was around 80% for the year....BOOM! I know it's not smart to not be diversified but it paid off this year. Most of ours is in AAPL.

GOOD JOB,GRADS!! = Now if your NFL bet comes in.:)

Sandlord

Reaction score
waiting for Trump speech. Could affect the market. Bigly

GRADS

Reaction score
Last edited:

mbrown2

Reaction score
Our company stock was up $6 today...market appeared to like the POTUS speech and the use of "standing down" in reference to IRAN...

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Our company stock was up $6 today...market appeared to like the POTUS speech and the use of "standing down" in reference to IRAN...

Thanks for the heads up.....o_O

:D :D :D

DWC

Reaction score
Ours moved up 1.5%. Not too bad. I’ll take every penny.

DrHW

Reaction score
The Federal Reserve dropped the interest rates the last three quarters. The Feds are putting out $600 Billion a month. It is like the previous term... QE.

That should mean clear sailing for a couple of quarters. I never go out farther than that. Good luck!

mbrown2

Reaction score
Ours moved up 1.5%. Not too bad. I’ll take every penny.
We moved about 2.4% ($7.04 a share)....Unitedhealth....been here about 5 years and stock was above 100 then....been buying and taking whatever they give me shares/options since ...Hell we acquired 3 companies in the last year that were complimentary or competitors and our sales for this year's 1/1 of new patients was about 60% more patients/members than last year..good things to come!

Reactions: DWC

Spudsbud

Reaction score
5 more years baby.
The Man knows how to make money.