WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boats Boats Boats ??????????? Future

TCHB

Reaction score
Well as we start a new year what will the future of boating styles.
Looks like the Outboard Cats will lead the high performance group.
Wakeboard boats seem to just get bigger.
Toons will fill the comfort area with lots of shade.
Midsize under 30ft boats ??????????? Not sure what will happen here. Will they go outboard?
Small under 24 ft????????????

Colors???????????? Flames

c_land

Reaction score
I like the push for smaller outboards... Hallet:

upload_2019-12-27_13-25-15.png

upload_2019-12-27_13-25-31.png

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The outboard cats are getting larger and wider. Outboard hp levels will increase again to 500 or more if I had to guess.
Smaller vee bottom boats (which to me are the most practical) will continue to shrink in market share.

wakeboard boats will continue to evolve and I would guess at some point they are going to be borderline autonomous.. meaning I think someone will come out with one that the wakeboarder will actually be controlling the boat.

Pontoons will continue to get bigger and wider and I would wager we will start seeing triple engine installs arriving in LHC soon. They are already in the mid west with some success.

I’d expect massive changes coming in the performance segment soon as some of the owners are getting older now and there is new blood ready to take the reigns

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
That is the dumbest thing that I have ever seen. (Ghost Riding)
What happened to the boat?

TCHB

Reaction score
The outboard cats are getting larger and wider. Outboard hp levels will increase again to 500 or more if I had to guess.
Smaller vee bottom boats (which to me are the most practical) will continue to shrink in market share.

wakeboard boats will continue to evolve and I would guess at some point they are going to be borderline autonomous.. meaning I think someone will come out with one that the wakeboarder will actually be controlling the boat.

Pontoons will continue to get bigger and wider and I would wager we will start seeing triple engine installs arriving in LHC soon. They are already in the mid west with some success.

I’d expect massive changes coming in the performance segment soon as some of the owners are getting older now and there is new blood ready to take the reigns
I see the same thing with car shows. A lot of old guys blending out and selling a garage full of hot rods/boats. I remember reading the average boat buyer was in his 50s.

I can remember a lot of us in our twenties with 18ft performance boats.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
It is a great time to be a boater. Performance / duty cycle, advancements in cleaning products / surface durability. Even the carpet does not have to be replaced after a couple of seasons anymore. :D

Anyway back to the OP ? Here is my take on certain types of boats mostly applicable to LHC:

Really depends on your mission family runabouts - hard to beat outboards. I would not mind a small - 20 CC single for havasu. Safe and can get around. Shade that pretty much does everything you need to do. Great starter boat for a small family. I think we will see more of these on the water. Function / price point.

Party Barges - these things do not get me wrong are awesome but whooa they have gotten so built. I enjoy going out on friends' plush barges but do not think I could drop the coin on the high perf model. I do get the appeal of having a fast 2X wacker toon, but when my crew boards ours there is often fireworks and water balloon slingshots (we shoot each other) :).

High Performance - I like outboard cats. They make it a lot more fun for me. I know there will always be a section of guys that want the huge horse power cats but my DW32 has been awesome. I cannot see going back to BBC.

Wakeboard boats - They are falling into the pontoon market - too expensive and nice for what they actually do. I get it there are some younger guys that can (you do not need to double up anymore) but actually huck off the wakes. The surfing is fun but you do not need to spend 300K. I would put it towards a condo at the beach. I like to boat at least a couple of days a week and I have always felt that unless you lived on a ski / sports lake it would be hard to run a boat like this as your only ride. If you ran it up and down the river as a cruiser you would not make any friends at the very least. :)

I guess after reading my whole post. If someone said SJP pick a single boat for the summer. You are going to run it rain or shine, company or alone, crowded or mello day, and it needed to be somewhat efficient. I would pickup a small CC with a nicely powered 4 stroke OB on it. Easy trailer. Run it over to parker. Launch it myself. Cruise it everywhere. Pull a skier or whatnot. Stay in the shade and would be easier to clean and maintain. Big enough for my family and a guest or two. Resale would be pretty straight forward with multiple markets.

TCHB

Reaction score
It is a great time to be a boater. Performance / duty cycle, advancements in cleaning products / surface durability. Even the carpet does not have to be replaced after a couple of seasons anymore. :D

Anyway back to the OP ? Here is my take on certain types of boats mostly applicable to LHC:

Really depends on your mission family runabouts - hard to beat outboards. I would not mind a small - 20 CC single for havasu. Safe and can get around. Shade that pretty much does everything you need to do. Great starter boat for a small family. I think we will see more of these on the water. Function / price point.

Party Barges - these things do not get me wrong are awesome but whooa they have gotten so built. I enjoy going out on friends' plush barges but do not think I could drop the coin on the high perf model. I do get the appeal of having a fast 2X wacker toon, but when my crew boards ours there is often fireworks and water balloon slingshots (we shoot each other) :).

High Performance - I like outboard cats. They make it a lot more fun for me. I know there will always be a section of guys that want the huge horse power cats but my DW32 has been awesome. I cannot see going back to BBC.

Wakeboard boats - They are falling into the pontoon market - too expensive and nice for what they actually do. I get it there are some younger guys that can (you do not need to double up anymore) but actually huck off the wakes. The surfing is fun but you do not need to spend 300K. I would put it towards a condo at the beach. I like to boat at least a couple of days a week and I have always felt that unless you lived on a ski / sports lake it would be hard to run a boat like this as your only ride. If you ran it up and down the river as a cruiser you would not make any friends at the very least. :)

I guess after reading my whole post. If someone said SJP pick a single boat for the summer. You are going to run it rain or shine, company or alone, crowded or mello day, and it needed to be somewhat efficient. I would pickup a small CC with a nicely powered 4 stroke OB on it. Easy trailer. Run it over to parker. Launch it myself. Cruise it everywhere. Pull a skier or whatnot. Stay in the shade and would be easier to clean and maintain. Big enough for my family and a guest or two. Resale would be pretty straight forward with multiple markets.
I have thought about something like this that is easy to handle and load.
A889A89A-991E-4D94-B1BE-DE3AA14FC611.jpeg

Reactions: SJP

RodnJen

Reaction score
Scout has come a long way in making comfortable, efficient CCs. The modern outboard is the perfect match for recreational boating, lake and sea. These are clearly not entry level boats but one could check a lot of boxes with something like this.

https://www.scoutboats.com/model/255-lxf/

A4E0553B-4C36-47DE-8702-B957D5DC6578.jpeg

Gelcoater

Reaction score
boats. I remember reading the average boat buyer was in his 50s.
That’s probably true, but it’s math. Average;)
One shop I work with has two clients I can think of right now.
One is almost 80, the other is maybe 35? And it’s his second new build in two years.
Another shop with more builds is similar.
I’m 50, and there are a lot of buyers younger than me.
There’s some about my age and some well older too.

When I was shooting Hallett under Barron ownership there were generations in there. Guy was getting one because his dad has one. His grandfather had one.
Have done father son builds in the past, both building a new one at the same time, others building it together.

Have two brothers boats in the works now, both those guys are younger than me.

Boaters have a certain sickness, lol.

TCHB

Reaction score
Just by looking around town the toon lots are full of toon and wake board boats.
Someone needs to come up with a 24 deep seating high performance boat like the old skater. A single engine would make the boat fast and would handle the smaller lakes.

Riverryder

Reaction score
Just by looking around town the toon lots are full of toon and wake board boats.
Someone needs to come up with a 24 deep seating high performance boat like the old skater. A single engine would make the boat fast and would handle the smaller lakes.

What skater you talkin bout?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlanB

Reaction score
What skater you talkin bout?

Sounds like he is talking about the standard 24' Skater Cat. High freeboard and big tunnel for a 24' cat.

I am seriously looking at the 22' Talon with a single (400 / 450) for our next boat (along with the toon). High freeboard for a 22', and runs really well with a single O/B.

JB in so cal

Reaction score

welldigger00

Reaction score
I can get behind the pontoon thing. It’s basically the desert trailer for the water. Makes total sense. I’ve never been in a cat, let alone an outboard one, so I have nothing to say about one, other than the way I look at deck boats, Nordic rages, Howard bullets, Hallet 240’s, they, in my opinion, are the sports cars of the boating world. Fit the family, haul ass, bring the dog, beach up with your pals, that kind of thing. Makes sense. I came late to the boating world, and was brought here by the ski race crowd I grew up with, and am forever tainted by the v drive ski race boat thing. So, to me, the day cruiser v hull is the only boat that turns my head. They are not the travel trailers, they are not the sports cars. They are the chevells, Cudas, belvederes, Gto’s, that kind of thing. I think they will always have a place in this world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Captain Corndog

Reaction score
I’m going backwards this year. Something old school. Partly because it’s cool and different, but mostly because I can’t afford these 6 figure boats!!!

Starting the restoration of 80’s movie star... Just picked up this 1987 Chris Craft Stinger 312 Fittipaldi Equipe, rumored To be one of the boats used in The movie Tequila Sunrise. I am starting a YouTube series of the process.
D595C6CC-F10F-41AA-846E-7D4FD389CF7F.jpeg

braindead

Reaction score
I’m going backwards this year. Something old school. Partly because it’s cool and different, but mostly because I can’t afford these 6 figure boats!!!

Starting the restoration of 80’s movie star... Just picked up this 1987 Chris Craft Stinger 312 Fittipaldi Equipe, rumored To be one of the boats used in The movie Tequila Sunrise. I am starting a YouTube series of the process.
View attachment 829912

Your neighbors are gonna love you...

HPBoats83

Reaction score
I’m hoping I can buy a boat again this year but probably 2021.

Riverryder

Reaction score
I’m hoping I can buy a boat again this year but probably 2021.

Why hope? Just doit?
I’m on the young spectrum for boat ownership. But I have definitely learned recently life’s to short to plan for years ahead live now! I work in emergency medicine seeing some many young people die really opened my eyes to this!

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score

354CDB3C-1CC0-456C-867E-E923CBF6003D.jpeg

C0B3A0A6-E42D-4AE1-A697-BCCA8B447012.jpeg

D8B7DB7B-33A5-45A1-9BF2-6A62DE2D1409.jpeg

I was thinking the same thing when I restomodded this old 23 Daytona. Runs triple digits and will pull 4+ MPG@60. It’s a great small lake and river runner.

The 24 Nordic cat and the 25 Eliminator cat would both be great candidates with a single 450R. They’d be on my short list if I was in the market for new.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
The biggest advancement in boating over the next decade will be in Electric Motor Outboards.

Riverryder

Reaction score
The biggest advancement in boating over the next decade will be in Electric Motor Outboards.

You should be banned for sayin such thing!
It’s bad enough that the egg beaters are so quiet! (Still would love to ride in one) but I need to hear a healthy motor idling and revving. Who wants to run around in a boat with no noise?

riverroyal

Reaction score
Insurance cost on performance boats such as cats and decks are going to hurt sales.
Im pretty much priced out of a new deck. At 120k it was ok, at 150k plus insurance costs i cant justify it.
This has made 100k pontoons the option for many.
The performance boat is built 100 times better, but the added cost has squeezed out many

Reactions: DWC

StevieHops

Reaction score

View attachment 829912

Make sure to start a thread in the restorations tab. Looking forward to seeing it!

TCHB

Reaction score
You should be banned for sayin such thing!
It’s bad enough that the egg beaters are so quiet! (Still would love to ride in one) but I need to hear a healthy motor idling and revving. Who wants to run around in a boat with no noise?

Once you ride in one you will never go back.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Why hope? Just doit?
I’m on the young spectrum for boat ownership. But I have definitely learned recently life’s to short to plan for years ahead live now! I work in emergency medicine seeing some many young people die really opened my eyes to this!

There is more wisdom in this statement then most realize. Life is a journey not a destination, and tomorrow is never promised.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Well as we start a new year what will the future of boating styles.
Looks like the Outboard Cats will lead the high performance group.
Wakeboard boats seem to just get bigger.
Toons will fill the comfort area with lots of shade.
Midsize under 30ft boats ??????????? Not sure what will happen here. Will they go outboard?
Small under 24 ft????????????

Colors???????????? Flames
I have No interest in new Tech Boats, It's great for the ones that like that stuff, but for me OLD School Boats Are the way to go.
Simple A engine, tranny, v-drive box , prop shaft, prop, and a Rudder, No Computer stuff for this old man.

Riverryder

Reaction score
There is more wisdom in this statement then most realize. Life is a journey not a destination, and tomorrow is never promised.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Recently went thru a couple life style changes. Worked long hours to provide for the “future” that failed. I live in the now ever since! Life is to short!

Sigus

Above the wet spot
Reaction score

View attachment 829912

I knew one of the owners of this boat back in the late 90's, if that boat could talk.... the stories it would tail!

Captain Corndog

Reaction score
I knew one of the owners of this boat back in the late 90's, if that boat could talk.... the stories it would tail!
I bet!! I keep thinking I'm going to find something interesting in the boat, like little baggies of powder... The weather has been so shitty since I got it, coupled with the holidays, I have not done much beyond a minor cleanup and some trailer work. The previous owner you know was likely the last person to have this on the water. The registration expired in 2001 and it was sitting in a storage lot for as long as I can remember. I bought it from the storage yard as a lien sale. Took six trips to the DMV to get it transferred, but I finally got it handled. I know the previous owners name from the paperwork.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
That boat has some sweet lines Capt Corndog.... I for one would enjoy following your restoration. Let us know how to follow once ya get moving, thanks.

Captain Corndog

Reaction score
That boat has some sweet lines Capt Corndog.... I for one would enjoy following your restoration. Let us know how to follow once ya get moving, thanks.

Thanks, I agree, I think it is pretty boat no matter how old it is. Here is a couple pictures of one in good shape.
E0B2C35C-BB64-4983-A4C4-A31013F38B0C.jpeg

B7808A7F-C503-4FFE-B3A0-E40A1BCA4AAC.jpeg

I am getting some footage together and figuring out how to use the editing software. I hope to start posting videos in the next couple weeks. I will definitely create a thread here when I do.

SPFRONTMAN

Reaction score

View attachment 829912
Wow, I worked on that movie, I was a studio grip at the time. I was in that boat with Mel Gibson and another actor tied to a dock holding a 4 x 4 solid to keep the glare out of the camera lense during filming. I can tell you couple stories while shooting that movie haha.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score

Funny, because I want a 20-21foot V with an OB. :D We are probably going to put in a pool first in the new house though.

As for the wake board boat mention they are already here. All of our new Nautiques work in conjunction with a series of Garmin watches. You can control speed, surf side, and adjust and tune the wave to your liking all through the watch. Pretty incredible!

Captain Corndog

Reaction score
Wow, I worked on that movie, I was a studio grip at the time. I was in that boat with Mel Gibson and another actor tied to a dock holding a 4 x 4 solid to keep the glare out of the camera lense during filming. I can tell you couple stories while shooting that movie haha.
That's pretty cool! I have not been able to verify that this is one of the screen used boats. I'm told there were 3 of these boats used in the movie (One of which was blown up). You would probably know better than I, though! It is very possible that this is one of the movie boats. They are fairly rare, especially on the west coast. It looks to have sat in a marina for a period of time before it ended up in the storage yard for the last 20 years.

SPFRONTMAN

Reaction score
That's pretty cool! I have not been able to verify that this is one of the screen used boats. I'm told there were 3 of these boats used in the movie (One of which was blown up). You would probably know better than I, though! It is very possible that this is one of the movie boats. They are fairly rare, especially on the west coast. It looks to have sat in a marina for a period of time before it ended up in the storage yard for the last 20 years.

Your boat had to have been in the movie, yes they did blow up a stripped down hull and the other was left on its trailer and put on this specially built plate form so they could simulate it kinda rolling around as if it was in the water. They thought it was easier with the boat on the trailer instead of the carpenters building something that would hold just the boat then deciding on how it would work on the plate form. This boat never hit the water to my knowledge, they had this boat in a sound stage in Santa Monica for doing most of the close-ups. The third was the actual one that they used ripping around in the L.A. Harbor. Mel Gibson, Kurt Russell and Michelle Phiefer. All cool people, especially Mel back then.