WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

SXS Overland Rear Seat Rack Storage DIY

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I want to do longer overland trips in my RZR so I needed some extra storage. I wanted to use the rear seat area for this added storage. Back seat storage solutions for SXS are $300-$500. This was more than I wanted to spend for something I am going to use a couple times a year, so I did a little research and after a couple hours of work I built my own.

I'll start by saying this is for a RZR XP 1000/Turbo 4 seater, so the measurements I reference are to fit the RZR but the basic design will work for about anything out there, you will just have to take some measurements.

If you have an extra set of stock seat bases, you'll want to use them as the base for your storage rack. All of the storage solutions require you have seat bases as well.

You can take the seat bases off the rear seats you are removing. That just takes a few minutes and you wont be altering them, they can still be used when you put the car back to a 4 seat configuration.

I stared out with this, A MaxxHaul aluminium Cargo Carrier. $69 shipped on Amazon.
maxxhaul-hitch-cargo-carriers-70422-64_1000.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-704...DNNTRYC3KTQ&psc=1&refRID=6DC3Y26GFDNNTRYC3KTQ

This is too wide as it comes, so you will need to cut it down to get it to fit.

It comes assembled in the box. You don't need the steel base, but that can probably be made into something useful.

IYFZ3246.JPG

Pull the end pieces off, they are just bolted on, and cut 3 1/8" off each side. Remember this measurement is for a RZR other cars may be different. Here it is marked and ready to cut.

IMG_7867.JPG

Once you cut it you simply pop the end pieces back on, and drill new holes for the nuts and bolts that hold them in. Then you have this that actually fits in the back of the car.

IMG_7868.JPG

Now you need something to mount it in place, You will need something sitting on the seat bases that is 3.5" or taller to elevate the carrier above the center console. I went to Industrial Metal Supply and had them cut (2) 12" long pieces of 2" X 4" aluminum rectangle tube, 1/8" wall. These were under $30 for the pair. You can use anything you want, but the rectangle tube made things quick and easy for measurement and mock up.

Once you have your spacers, you can set it all in place and start mocking up where you want your mounting holes.

IMG_7946.JPG

You may want to remove the slider lock plate from the seat base if it is in there (mine were front seat bases), but you don't have to. The seat base has a nice lip (blue tape is against the lip) where the latch mounts and you can butt the 2X4 up against that lip to line everything up. You need to do a little more measuring, drill some holes, and bolt it all together.

IMG_7950.JPG

I used M6 X 40 mm and M8 X 20mm hardware with washers and locknuts for each to bolt it together. M6 bolted the rack to the 2X4 and M8 bolted the 2X4 to the seat base.

Pro Tip: The "stringers" that run across the rack have a vertical brace that runs right down the center. The good news there is you wont crush the stringer when you tighten it all down. But don't try to drill the stringers on center, you will hit the internal bracing. Drill your mounting holes in the storage rack just off center.

When you are done, you will have something like this. Again note that my mounting bolts on top are off center.

IMG_7954.JPG
IMG_7956.JPG
IMG_7955.JPG

This should just drop into the car and latch in. If not loosen some of the bolts, adjust and re tighten the hardware.

Boom. SXS Rack Storage. This thing is super solid and really lightweight. It does not move at all. Now you can customize it to your liking by adding more holes, hooks, mounts for fuel cans, axles, or whatever. All in, this was $110 and a couple hours in the garage.
IMG_7958.JPG

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
For actual storage I'm going to use this Husky 45 gallon tote. It fits perfectly behind the front seats and between the doors. If you have an aftermarket cage with a relocated harness bar, this tote may not work. You can see there is plenty of room in front of the tote on the storage rack for axles and longer items. There is room between the tote and the firewall to mount Rotopax style gas cans.

IMG_7961.JPG

IMG_7960.JPG

IMG_7963.JPG

IMG_7962.JPG

DLC

Reaction score
Looks great nice write up!

to do the AZPT you need

at least 4 gallons of fuel more is better
Extra axles for just in case
Clothes bag
Cooler
Tool bag w/ spare bolts and misc

that should easily fit in/ on the rack

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Looks great nice write up!

to do the AZPT you need

at least 4 gallons of fuel more is better
Extra axles for just in case
Clothes bag
Cooler
Tool bag w/ spare bolts and misc

that should easily fit in/ on the rack

Thanks!
I have more time in looking at storage totes for this thing than actually building it :rolleyes:. For Alamo lake, I figure the giant catch all tote will work. It was only $22 anyway.

I'm going to work on the fuel can mounting next... I already have a small emergency reserve tank mount done, I'm just waiting on the final parts to put it together. That is just for a minor miscalculation or creating a fire though, not lack of planning :).

Reactions: DLC

DLC

Reaction score
The last leg is over 180 miles and it’s high speed so you burn it quickly

2- 2 gallon cans worked good under the tire in the back
Or in the back seat foot well

Reactions: DWC

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
The last leg is over 180 miles and it’s high speed so you burn it quickly

2- 2 gallon cans worked good under the tire in the back
Or in the back seat foot well

Yea my thought was to mount them from the carrier hanging into the rear footwell area. I'd have to unlatch the front seats to remove them, but that is not a huge deal.

My emergency 1 gallon can is going into the barrel of my spare wheel in the back.

Reactions: DLC

DLC

Reaction score
What works really well is the jack off tube siphon fuel filler thing...
You just need to be able to fill em it at the gas station pump

69814B98-C55A-4A58-A17E-886A91B7C4F5.png

Hermosa

Pibb + Red Vines = CD
Reaction score
If you want a flat rear floor, TUSK makes one that just snaps in, we use ours all the time. Want passengers, no problem, snaps right out and you put the seats back in. Boom.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Cool project.
Does this effect the center of gravity of your rig?
Any suspension issues with the increased gcvw?
Will this decrease the effective braking?
Will the egt's increase because of the additional weight?
Will the rigging remain intact in the event of a rollover or collision?
How well does it fit golf clubs?
Will it fit on rack storage?

Asking for a friend...

Dan'l

Reactions: DWC

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
If you want a flat rear floor, TUSK makes one that just snaps in, we use ours all the time. Want passengers, no problem, snaps right out and you put the seats back in. Boom.

The Tusk solution is nice, I just didn’t want to spend the $300 for it.

Tusk also offers a matching flat floor for the front passenger seat, which is really cool if you are carrying a lot of extra stuff.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Cool project.
Does this effect the center of gravity of your rig?
Any suspension issues with the increased gcvw?
Will this decrease the effective braking?
Will the egt's increase because of the additional weight?
Will the rigging remain intact in the event of a rollover or collision?
How well does it fit golf clubs?
Will it fit on rack storage?

Asking for a friend...

Dan'l

Are you asking me, or the towing police?

DWC

Reaction score
For actual storage I'm going to use this Husky 45 gallon tote. It fits perfectly behind the front seats and between the doors. If you have an aftermarket cage with a relocated harness bar, this tote may not work. You can see there is plenty of room in front of the tote on the storage rack for axles and longer items. There is room between the tote and the firewall to mount Rotopax style gas cans.

View attachment 832045
View attachment 832048
View attachment 832047
View attachment 832046
Perfect, can you carry my beer?

DWC

Reaction score
I’ll carry it for free but might only have a few left once we get there
That’s why i was looking for someone with it in a closed tote. I’ll have a “few” in the back seat for the ride out. Little different group. It’ll be interesting to see how many stops this time.

DLC

Reaction score
We are having the Daves trailer haul out a big ass cooler with ice and beer, you know, for just in case....

bring a 30 pack in the trailer and we’ll have reloads

Slick

Reaction score
Yea my thought was to mount them from the carrier hanging into the rear footwell area. I'd have to unlatch the front seats to remove them, but that is not a huge deal.

My emergency 1 gallon can is going into the barrel of my spare wheel in the back.
Great idea! I have a never used isota off-road flush mount with two 2 gallon rotopax gas cans that would fit behind your tote. Mounts to
DF50E068-4B57-4D04-9478-36993E86C2CC.jpeg
four existing bolts. Your welcome to borrow for the trip. Live in Havasu. Also have a rear storage mount of another member doesn’t have time to build one.

Attachments

• 32BC6905-1EA0-4D8B-8ACF-BAF52248491F.jpeg
    32BC6905-1EA0-4D8B-8ACF-BAF52248491F.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 57

Englewood

Reaction score
So cool...Would anyone be interested in doing an AZPT ride?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I also added a one gallon emergency gas can mount in my spare tire. I still need to paint it, but you get the idea.

It’s enough gas to get you out of a minor miscalculation or start a campfire. It won’t make up for poor planning. :)

FC310625-D57F-410C-806B-6832631ADF4B.jpeg
8180FE34-77ED-4F32-BAB0-EAAA0CE9A83B.jpeg
650FD2BC-6043-4012-9570-4B4A6C0F978F.jpeg

4BF72946-2BC5-494F-99BD-65D9C989965E.jpeg

5AEDAFDD-2FE1-48EE-8409-DEF09FBAD002.jpeg

Last edited:

gqchris

Reaction score

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
035676F2-9CC2-4B2E-A746-29000C19A1D8.png

I suggest a tiny radiator clamp where the tube connects to the brass. I use these often.

gqchris

Reaction score
I’m thinking of making a bunch for sale actually.

The only thing that concerns me is that if it leaks, its right above the engine. But I have heard those cans are pretty foolproof as far as leaks. Sure is a lot better than on the outside of the rollbars like I have seen!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
The only thing that concerns me is that if it leaks, its right above the engine. But I have heard those cans are pretty foolproof as far as leaks. Sure is a lot better than on the outside of the rollbars like I have seen!

Agreed. That is an issue with storing any gas anywhere in the back of the car. I like this because the can is protected, but yes leaks are certainly a concern.

This is a “LongHaul” can, very similar to a Rotopax. The can is super tough. And as long as the seals for the vent and spout are solid, I don’t see a problem with anything.

If you have 15” wheels, you can fit the larger 1.4 gallon can mounting it this way. The vent fitting on that can is 1/8” too tall for 14” wheels. So I was forced to go with the smaller can.

Last edited:

DLC

Reaction score
Oh man that is a great idea!

that will work in my situation w/ my spare tire also!

I need to try the 1.4 gallon can

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Oh man that is a great idea!

that will work in my situation w/ my spare tire also!

I need to try the 1.4 gallon can

I can bring it out for you to try on Thursday Doug. I bought the larger can first hoping it would work.

DLC

Reaction score
How did you cut out the center part that mounts to the wheel?

cuts look clean / precision- not home made

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
How did you cut out the center part that mounts to the wheel?

cuts look clean / precision- not home made

I’ll bring the tank for you then.

I actually bought the plate on EBay. It is was marketed as a “DIY spare tire mount”. It needs a little finish sanding before I paint it.

It is 3/16” steel, so a little overkill for this application.

I’d like to do a 3D printed or aluminum version.

jbird

Reaction score
@jbird you can fit like a 5 gallon in your 18’s lol
Lol. For sure!
But I think it’s time to get rid of the 18’s. I pinched another side wall this weekend and I’d imagine a smaller rim and more side wall might help this issue.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Lol. For sure!
But I think it’s time to get rid of the 18’s. I pinched another side wall this weekend and I’d imagine a smaller rim and more side wall might help this issue.
Really wow! Bad luck