WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The Birth of a New DCB Model - M37R

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
We all get excited when a manufacturer announces that they are going to do a new model. It happens in several subtle stages, the first of which is quite literally "conversation." "We are thinking about doing XYZ" Depending on the feedback they get from their inner circle and close customers XYZ might change into ABC. The end point though is they have crossed what I believe to be the biggest hurdle in the process which is "It's time to introduce a new product into the market place."

2.png

The next thing that will happen is artistic renderings of the potential product will be created. This is an important part of the process because now your idea has now become the smallest part of reality with a "visual." Bringing the project to life for the first time was a collaboration by Franco Gianni with SFG Yacht Design in Miami FL, and the Team at DCB Performance Boats down in San Diego CA.

If you look closely here you can see several variants of the side profile being developed. The initial design ques were to be taken from their flagship model the M44, but it isn't like you can just shrink one and make it look right as an outboard boat. In concept A you can see a smaller side vent like the M44 (and one of the Iconic styling Cues DCB is known for). In concept B the vent is deleted and it has a more flared look, and finally in concept C the vent itself is deleted, but the shape of the M41/44 Vent is incorporated into the glass as a larger feature.

1.png

As things are progressing you can see that there are several "details" for the deck that were drawn up as potential aesthetic features.

3.png

Right down to the steps (and how many of them there will be) on the transom. As you can see they all have the M44 styling cues on them, but they are very different in design. Each detail is incredibly important to the potential success of the boat.

4.png

It may look aesthetically correct, but if the steps are too large or too small, than functionally the boat will suffer.

5.png

We may have summed that process up in a few sentences, but those styling points I listed as well as a 100 other ones represent a ton of meetings in house, and a ton of collaboration meetings between DCB and SFG. Things need to flow without something catching your eye, as well the boat is a new model, but must retain the DCB styling to fit in with the lineup. We can see as the renderings are coming along that the three steps on the transom, as well as the easy walk around gunnel at the windshield were two key points in the design process.

Time to start looking at some overall packages and contrast and compare to the M44. In the second pic and third pic you can see where they are actually moving the cab of the boat ever so slightly. There are so design differences on the transom of the grey center boat to the white bottom boat down by the outboards. You can see the white boat has a slightly longer bustle with a more aggressive chiseled effect on the outside of the steps by the outboards. The steps on the bottom one are considerably larger than the center boat as well. Pointing out the obvious you can also see the deck hatches have been moved in the models and are different both on the deck and behind the passenger compartment. The recessed "Sea Deck" portion has been added on the bottom boat as well. The transom hatches appear for the first time in the lower pic as well.

7.png

This is the evolution of design, where you can see now hatch details have been added on the upper hatches behind the passenger compartment. The Transom hatches have changed shape slightly and we have no determined the front hatches will be opening gull wing style instead of lifting from the rear.

In the second photo down you can see they have elected to ditch a "hood" deck detail, and they have added a slight crown to the deck. They have also settled in on a recessed detail between the upper hatches leading to the stair case.

As well for the first time they are closing in on the center console between the driver and passenger seat. (Note they are different in the images above and consistent in the images below)

8.png

It's very difficult to tell from these pics of the side profile, but I believe the top photo has a slightly taller and more protruded windshield, while the bottom two images have a little more rake and a little less height on them. That might be an optical illusion because of the colors.

9.png

Which after 100's of hours of design work, and countless e-mails and collaborative meetings brings us to the final renditions that are now in CAD and the boat will ultimately be tooled from.

10.jpg
11.jpg

The industrial design of the boat is done and now the Naval Architecture begins. This is the first DCB that is being tooled not only solely for outboards, but as a true tunnel. Having built boats that many hail as being some of the most exotic and best performing boats on the west coast the team at DCB can rattle off more about tunnel compression, wing angle, lifting strakes and steps than anyone person would care to know about.

13.png

That said with the current market conditions and economy, time to market is more important than trying to accelerate a learning curve on how to build a competitive true tunnel. For this a third party engineering team (unnamed) collaborated with the DCB team to shorten the time to market. The only piece of information I was able to get out of them was they have decades of knowledge and experience designing and building true tunnel cats that perform.

15.png

In the pic directly above you can see a large 5th Axis CNC machine cutting the foam plug to make the bottom of the boat! Below you will see the "rough cut" pics where the CNC Machine has begun to make the shape of the boat with the roughing cutters and fast passes.

19.png

Because of the sheer size of the parts this is a pretty time consuming process. We can't show you the finish cuts (or high res pics) of the bottom of the boat until the first one actually comes out of the mold.

20.png

The plug is now finished and has been glassed, and you can see them "caging" the mold. This is a process where they will make a steel cage around the outside of the mold to insure that it holds it's correct shape over time. The cage is then tabbed to the mold and will be ready for shipment.
21.png

The Bottom mold is complete now and has already shipped from Florida to California! It arrived at DCB last friday! Below we can see the mold has already been polished and waxed and was ready to build parts as soon as it was received!

22.png

In this pic you can see the caging on the side of hte mold and where they wrapped fiberglass around the steel beams to bond the two together.
23.png

Now it's time for the top of the boat to be tooled and molded! As we get our first look at the front of the boat we can see it's a wide tunnel narrow sponson design that has proven well for a lot of the East Coast Builders over the years. In the bottom pic you can see the CNC machine cutting the deck profile and hatches into the plug.

24.png

Our first look down the plug and see it taking shape in reality for it's first time. You can also see a guy in the back spraying "guide coat" which we will get into in a second.
25.png

Guide Coat is the purple material they spray towards the end of the process that will allow them to block sand and hand sand any imperfections out of the plug. This is done near the end of the plug process and directly before the molding process.

28.png

You can see a tremendous amount of progress has already been done on the top plug. Below you can see the rendering of the transom, and the transom now machined and coated ready to be sanded on. I am not entirely sure what that line is behind the hatch towards the transom. At the top of the pic you can barely see the details that were placed into the top hatches, and also take note of the edge details at the outside of the stair case!

32.png

With the Plug nearly finished next will come the mold process and then caging. There's a few miscellaneous parts that are being tooled along side the top (hatches, center console etc..) DCB is expecting the top mold and individual molds to be wrapped up and in their hands by late February.
They are hoping to debut the first M37R at Desert Storm in 2020! The timeline will be extremely tight to pull that off, but their hopes are still high. According to Jeff Johnston they have already taken deposits on 5 new builds and are looking to fill slot # 6!!

34.png

We look forward to the unveiling at Desert Storm and look forward to testing the boat in the near future!

For a Video (complete with watching the CNC machine the plug of the boat) Please watch the video below!

Photos : DCB
Words : RiverDave

Attachments

• 6.png
    6.png
    702.2 KB · Views: 126
  • 17.png
    17.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 126
  • 18.png
    18.png
    625.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 17.png
    17.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 133
  • 27.png
    27.png
    801.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 30.png
    30.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 159
  • 35.png
    35.png
    934.2 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
I met a great couple a few months back who I believe are assigned to #3. They were excited to say the least!

arch stanton

Reaction score
how long does the whole design and build process take ?

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
I met a great couple a few months back who I believe are assigned to #3. They were excited to say the least!

I believe they are #2 and beyond excited. Gonna be a fantastic boat. Congrats to DCB for doing something outside of their norm.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
How long has CNC been involved in the designing of a mold for boats? Am I seeing this correctly. Is this just taking measurements? What's going on here?
24-png.831819

KingofBeers

Reaction score
How long has CNC been involved in the designing of a mold for boats? Am I seeing this correctly. Is this just taking measurements? What's going on here?
24-png.831819
I believe that the plug is being cut in that photo. 5 axis CNC cuts/machines the plug out of some sort of high density foam. Not sure how long its been going on. Thats some pretty high tech shit for a cat with a couple eggbeaters:D.

Last edited:

Perlmudder

Reaction score
Boat looks killer. If the molds are coming out of Florida I would imagine it is probably Doug Wright making them. It would be right up their alley with what they currently design and produce as outboard cats, and they have the abilities to make molds.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I immediately thought of Doug Wright as well, which of so bravo, will be a home run as soon as it touches the water.

What’s crazy is seeing how F’ing big this is, with the contrast of the guy in the photo.
85815762-7979-471E-9585-BEEB491487F9.png

Will be nothing short of greatness.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Thanks for the nice write up RD.
I had a few big block powered boats & still own a small block 23' cabin cruiser. Never going back to big blocks. Easy maintenance, great mileage for a boat, & best part is 600hp pushes our 30+ foot boat over 100mph.
This new DCB is gonna be AMAZING with 900hp. Please don't derail this thread talking crap on outboards. We all still LOVE the sound of big blocks but don't care to maintain them.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
24-png.831819
Remember mirage boats? I went to their facility in Havasu, I think it's been well over 20 years ago,(damn...) And they had a CNC carving machine 4 hulls. But if I remember correctly the longest they can do was 16 feet. They had to do a hull in multiple sections. I remember the guy telling me the entire boat was accurate to within 1/32 of an inch from any point to any point on the hull. If you remember those hulls were very round and compound curve futuristic-looking. Ahead of their time.
They also use this CNC technology to cut a mold.
I think it was the speed demon land speed car that the mold was cnc'd and the finished product was pulled out of the mold from design to complete product in less than a week.
I remember thinking this is exciting in a game changer, and also sad at the same time.

New to boating

Reaction score
It’s where the money is right now..

After the "money" gets tired of the lack of excitement associated with mid sized and large outboard powered "performance" boats, they try to get rid of them..... and can't....

Here is the REALITY OF IT.... not the BS rhetoric we see here from LOYALISTS... the REALITY

For sale RIGHT NOW and not selling...

2019 "Special Edition" MTI 340X - with 400's - low hours - absolutely beautiful boat - $415,000.00 - on the market for 4 months recently price reduced
2019 MTI 340X - twin 400's - also low hours - beautiful - PRICE REDUCED $419,000.00 on the market for 3 months
2019 MTI 340X - All Carbon, twin too's, 75 hours, exotic paint - Twin 400's everything matches including the engines $429,000.00 $429,000.00
2019 MTI 340x - twin 400's, 65 hours, $415,000.00 For sale for 3 months
2018 MTI 340X - 100 hours on twin 400's, all the right electronics etc - $375,000.00 not selling
2020 MTi 340x - Full carbon boat, twin 450's, 10 hours, $549,000.00 on market since early December
2019 MTI 340 X - twin 450's - 50 hours, $549,000.00 not selling for 3 months
2018 MTI 340 X - very custom paint, twin 400's, 60 hours - $419,000.00 not selling
2018 MTI 340X - full carbon boat, Twin 400's. for sale since August 2018, PRICE REDUCED $369,900.00 not selling

2019 Mystic C3800 - Twin 400's, Highly optioned boat - Absolutely beautiful paint and low hours $389,900.00 HUGE PRICE REDUCTION on market since Oct 2019
2020 Mystic C3800 - twin 450's - BRAND NEW - For sale since Oct 2018 not selling...

2019 Wright Performance 36 - Twin 400's with 50 hours, beautiful boat - $429,950.00 not selling since Oct 2019
2018 Wright Performance 36 - Twin 400's, 145 hours, Highly optioned - not selling at $419,950.00
2019 Wright Performance 420 - Twin 450's, 38 hours, Very custom paint highly optioned, On market since Octo 2019 not selling
2020 Wright Performance 360 - Twin 400s, Highly optioned, on marlet 5 months not selling

The Bullhead Bully wanted you all to believe that these boats "fly of the shelf" when used ones are available (and for "all the money" and I told you NO THAT'S NOT REALITY, its not what is actually happening.. above are ACTUAL BOATS FOR SALE RIGHT NOW that have been for sale..... AND NOT SELLING - THAT IS CALLED REALITY

I guess we are to believe that NORDICS are moe highly customized, lighter and more precise layup, more agile, more "highly performing" and more in demand than the brands above, and that adding a 37 foot DCB Outboard Powered Air Entrapment Catamaran represents "marketing nirvana" and the pinnacle of performance boating.

I realize that Reality never sells well here on RDP - but there you have it ....

New to boating

Reaction score
Thanks for the nice write up RD.
I had a few big block powered boats & still own a small block 23' cabin cruiser. Never going back to big blocks. Easy maintenance, great mileage for a boat, & best part is 600hp pushes our 30+ foot boat over 100mph.
This new DCB is gonna be AMAZING with 900hp. Please don't derail this thread talking crap on outboards. We all still LOVE the sound of big blocks but don't care to maintain them.

What will be "amazing" is to see how many MILES it takes to get the last 10 MPH out of the boat in perfect conditions

prorider

Reaction score
Agree m37 is gonna be bit boring with only 900 hp on inland lakes. Several m33s for sale also and would bet the farm that every single m33 owner with 400s wants to upgrade. Used 400,000 dollar boats are hard to sell.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Pretty sure these boat mfg’s have some insight on bigger hp outboards going to be produced. As I agree that a 37’ sleed is big for only 2 450’s

Perhaps the first few will have 450’s. Then they would be repowered once larger hp outboards come out.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
@RiverDave , First off, really good write up!
Now, I'm not going to be in the cubic dollar crowd anytime soon...more of a sack of dimes budget...but a couple questions about the cnc process. I know you have a machining background. How do they fixture their work? Are there some alignment pins in the floor, then anchor points? Also, what size (diameter I guess) cutter head do they run on the head? Really curious about the alignment issues, as the stuff I do is based from a frame table for measurements, but their setup needs to be massive...and perfect.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
After the "money" gets tired of the lack of excitement associated with mid sized and large outboard powered "performance" boats, they try to get rid of them..... and can't....

Here is the REALITY OF IT.... not the BS rhetoric we see here from LOYALISTS... the REALITY

2019 "Special Edition" MTI 340X - with 400's - low hours - absolutely beautiful boat - $415,000.00 - on the market for 4 months recently price reduced
2019 MTI 340X - twin 400's - also low hours - beautiful - PRICE REDUCED $419,000.00 on the market for 3 months
2019 MTI 340X - All Carbon, twin too's, 75 hours, exotic paint - Twin 400's everything matches including the engines $429,000.00 $429,000.00
2018 MTI 340X - 100 hours on twin 400's, all the right electronics etc - $375,000.00 not selling
2020 MTi 340x - Full carbon boat, twin 450's, 10 hours, $549,000.00 on market since early December
2018 MTI 340 X - very custom paint, twin 400's, 60 hours - $419,000.00 not selling
2018 MTI 340X - full carbon boat, Twin 400's. for sale since August 2018, PRICE REDUCED $369,900.00 not selling

2019 Mystic C3800 - Twin 400's, Highly optioned boat - Absolutely beautiful paint and low hours $389,900.00 HUGE PRICE REDUCTION on market since Oct 2019
2020 Mystic C3800 - twin 450's - BRAND NEW - For sale since Oct 2018 not selling...

2019 Wright Performance 36 - Twin 400's with 50 hours, beautiful boat - $429,950.00 not selling since Oct 2019
2018 Wright Performance 36 - Twin 400's, 145 hours, Highly optioned - not selling at $419,950.00
2019 Wright Performance 420 - Twin 450's, 38 hours, Very custom paint highly optioned, On market since Octo 2019 not selling
2020 Wright Performance 360 - Twin 400s, Highly optioned, on marlet 5 months not selling

The Bullhead Bully wanted you all to believe that these boats "fly of the shelf" when used ones are available (and for "all the money" and I told you NO THAT'S NOT REALITY, its not what is actually happening.. above are ACTUAL BOATS FOR SALE RIGHT NOW that have been for sale..... AND NOT SELLING - THAT IS CALLED REALITY

I guess we are to believe that NORDICS are moe highly customized, lighter and more precise layup, more agile, more "highly performing" and more in demand than the brands above, and that adding a 37 foot DCB Outboard Powered Air Entrapment Catamaran represents "marketing nirvana" and the pinnacle of performance boating.

I realize that Reality never sells well here on RDP - but there you have it ....

Has nothing to do with o/b boats.....It's all expensive toys that depreciate.

High net worth people that pay cash for million +++ boats get bored and enjoy the build processes as much as the usage. There is a very small market for these kind of things and if you are worth 100 million you don't want someone else to pick your graphics or fart in your seats.

Look at mega yachts they have to basically give them away and that's why billionaires end up with more than 1 in the fleet.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
What will be "amazing" is to see how many MILES it takes to get the last 10 MPH out of the boat in perfect conditions

The wonderful people purchasing this boat don't really care about the top end #. They wanted a BIG outboard cat capable of running the Delta every day with occasional trips to SF Bay & possibly beyond the Golden Gate. I'm fairly certain this 37 DCB will charge plenty hard to 115+ and probably top out in the mid 120s, which is plenty fast enough for them. All mid size to large outboard cats take a while to get the last 5-10mph. These folks wanted a bigger, safer, capable outboard DCB.

Singleton

Reaction score

When the cost between new and used is only 1$$,$$$, used sit on the market.
Folks that can afford these boats, would rather buy new when only 100k separate new and used.
IMO, all the above owners will build new again, once the current boat is sold. They all are waiting for that person that does not want to wait for a new build.

hallett21

Reaction score

Does that really bug that many owners?

Say a 30-34 ft cat with 450’s tops out at 130. That’s a 120mph all day long boat. Sounds fun to me.

If 120 isn’t fun I imagine 130 won’t be much of a rush either.

Now 150+ I’m sure is an adrenaline rush. But if you want that speed you’re not buying an outboard cat..... yet [emoji41]

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score

Say a 30-34 ft cat with 450’s tops out at 130. That’s a 120mph all day long boat. Sounds fun to me.

Now 150+ I’m sure is an adrenaline rush. But if you want that speed you’re not buying an outboard cat..... yet [emoji41]

Absolutely spot on!!! I can tell you that 120+ in an outboard 30' Skater with 4 people on board is plenty fast FOR ME. I went mid 140s in the same Skater with twin 800hp BBC with Arnesons & that was plenty FOR ME.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

That and a changing market...

Huge power whether it be custom built or from mercury is huge money and huge maintenance costs.

We are in a new era where you can get 80% of that performance and speed for less $$$ less maintenance and in a lot of cases with a warranty.

Even if I had the kind of money it would take to buy a million dollar performance boat the last thing I would want to do is deal with the issues and costs involved. I would be perfectly cool with a 30' O/B powered boat that runs 120 mph and sips fuel and is nice and quiet.

90% of the fun for half the trouble and cost.

bocco

Reaction score
The whole CNC thing vs hand built plug has got to be a game changer. First off they only design half of the boat in CAD and then mirror it so both left and right side are identical. Every line is straight and perpendicular. Next I would expect to see all of the holes cut out by CNC also. And lastly picture an automatic sprayer to lay in the gel coat pattern. I thing the only thing holding this back is the volume is not high enough to justify the cost of the tools.

HCP3

Reaction score
24-png.831819

At least since 2012 for DCB. As shown here on their M41.

bocco

Reaction score
It also seems like you could just machine out a mold and completely bypass the plug.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

It’s a press release on a new model boat. As for new boat sales it is absolutely “where the money is right now.”

Call any Mfg and ask them what they are selling and everyone of them will tell you outboards.

I don’t disagree that there are a lot of “lightly” used ones on the market. That is a reflection of the sales numbers of what is being built new.

Your argument (per usual) is lame and lacking.. We could literally go down a list of 700+ hp twin cats wit I/O’s and it would look the same as that list above..

Wasn’t that long ago there was 31 DCB’s alone that fit my description above on the used market.. That’s one brand.

Are you suggesting they aren’t building new boats? Are you suggesting they aren’t outboard boats? Because you’d be wrong on both accounts. (Reality)

What does Bullhead Bully have to do with DCB’s press release?

Yes outboard boats aren’t gonna have the “punch” a big hp surface drive bost is going to have. Yes there are some for sale.. but back to “reality” as you put it, They are dominating new sales right now. You’d have to be blind not to see it. DCB is wise to go after thst market segment because it isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

That is reality.. well that and you are still and always gonna be a hater of anything except what you have at the moment.

How’s your granite? :D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
It also seems like you could just machine out a mold and completely bypass the plug.

Much easier to machine outside details then insides. Think about the inside “edge” on a sponson. How would you machine that sharp?

MooreMoney

Reaction score
I can only image the $$ that’s been spent to get a mold. Great write up RD.

ramos45

Reaction score
A previous post suggest that these outboard boats lack excitement. I'm asking out of pure curiosity, aren't these the boats you can mash the sticks forward from dead stop because of the outboards vs driveline to outdrives? I would think that would be a blast to do whenever you want. This is coming from a 34ft Scarab at 10k lbs on the water with Bravo 1 drives and 250 blowers on 468's, I baby the shit out of it coming on plane.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
A previous post suggest that these outboard boats lack excitement. I'm asking out of pure curiosity, aren't these the boats you can mash the sticks forward from dead stop because of the outboards vs driveline to outdrives? I would think that would be a blast to do whenever you want. This is coming from a 34ft Scarab at 10k lbs on the water with Bravo 1 drives and 250 blowers on 468's, I baby the shit out of it coming on plane.

Originally they lacked the mid range and top end acceleration..

The new smaller boats with 400’s run pretty damn hard in the mid range but still take miles to get the top end number as N2B said..

I can’t speak personally to the 450’s as I have only been in one because of my injury. I can say looking at the specs they have to pull pretty hard in the midrange though. The pontoon boat I rode in with 450’s certainly did but that’s setup completely different than a cat etc so not worth comparing.

ramos45

Reaction score
Originally they lacked the mid range and top end acceleration..

The new smaller boats with 400’s run pretty damn hard in the mid range but still take miles to get the top end number as N2B said..

I can’t speak personally to the 450’s as I have only been in one because of my injury. I can say looking at the specs they have to pull pretty hard in the midrange though. The pontoon boat I rode in with 450’s certainly did but that’s setup completely different than a cat etc so not worth comparing.

Wow! miles to get to the final top end number, i just don't get it. I have to find someone on Mead with such a boat to ride with to figure it out.

The more I read on here the more I realize just how much I baby my ride for fear of breaking something. Many here would be bored as shit riding in my old school caddy.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Neat boat! I would love to crawl through one of these for a few hours to see the build.

How many new boats is DCB selling a year?

pkbullet

Reaction score

I know they built a lot of them and people are upgrading to 450's, but I think the main reason that so many are on the market is that they are over priced. Think they are all worth about a 100k less than current pricing. If you can stroke this check the only reason to not do a new build is value.

Singleton

Reaction score
Neat boat! I would love to crawl through one of these for a few hours to see the build.

How many new boats is DCB selling a year?

they average 14-18 boats a year.
@Tony DCB Boats has always said, they will never increase production if it impacts quality. They would rather build fewer high quality boats then increase production and see quality fall

BONER

Reaction score
Looks like a MTI to me...

hallett21

Reaction score
The statement “it takes miles to get to full speed” makes me chuckle. At 120 you’re covering a mile every 30 seconds lol. At 180 it’s a mile every 20 seconds.

If the last 10 mph takes a minute or 2 so what.

It’s incredible that this is possible to even bicker about.

Last edited:

Icky

Reaction score
With a plug you get to see the "finished" design before you make mold from it, allowing you to make changes to things you didn't notice in cad.

McKay

Reaction score
The statement “it takes miles to get to full speed” makes me chuckle. At 120 you’re covering a mile every 30 seconds lol. At 180 it’s a mile every 20 seconds.

If the last 10 mph takes a minute or 2 so what.

It’s incredible that this is possible to even bicker about.

Exactly! I was smiling too! I have a 1700hp cat and it easily takes a good 2 minutes at least to get from 125 to 145.

JBS

Reaction score
Exactly! I was smiling too! I have a 1700hp cat and it easily takes a good 2 minutes at least to get from 125 to 145.

You need to take a lesson from NTB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro