WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bye bye Miller

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
Miller leaving California after 40 years.
20200107_083714.jpg

traquer

Reaction score
Know someone that works there, heard they sent everyone home yesterday. Not sure if they just lost their jobs one day to next, or if the plant is in limbo?

havasujeeper

Reaction score
My neighbor was their primary electrician for years (now retired) and gets me all the Coors Light I can stuff in my closets. He was there the other day and they are now pushing all the near expired and already expired beers, at a discounted price.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
I remember going there with my dad to the last race.

Do you remember the Go Cart track across the street from the raceway?

We use to ride our bicycles there in the '60's.

old rigger

Reaction score
Use to work at a boat shop just East of them. Smelled so good as they were cooking the hops or whatever they cook.

Bear Down

Reaction score
Know someone that works there, heard they sent everyone home yesterday. Not sure if they just lost their jobs one day to next, or if the plant is in limbo?

heard the same here... they were called to stay home yesterday.. Back to work today, but everyone is waiting to hear IF PBR will buy them out and rehire... Got wind that there was a production contract dispute with Miller not fulfilling the amount for PBR and some Union B.S... Who knows...

havasujeeper

Reaction score
And you also had Health Valley foods just north of you, on Foothill, that baked great smelling granola bars. This almost covered the smell at the Material Recycling Facility at Gladstone and Irwindale Ave, as well as the chemical collection facility on Motor Ave!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
And you also had Health Valley foods just north of you, on Foothill, that baked great smelling granola bars. This almost covered the smell at the Material Recycling Facility at Gladstone and Irwindale Ave, as well as the chemical collection facility on Motor Ave!
I spent some time in that quarry they're working in behind Nature Valley, by the 210 bellow Costco...between the hopps and the granola bar smell, you could get hungry...

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Not to derail the thread, but I never knew Howard was located over there. Where about was they located? I worked the streets there for 25 years and never knew this.

sirbob

Reaction score
When I used to work for Philip Morris back in the early 80s they owned Miller and we used to buy cases of beer, load up the back of the truck and take it to the river with us.

I could get cases of beer there for pennies on the dollar back in the day.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score

Wasn't too bad, as long as the Rooster wasn't in the air. :D

Primitive-X-Huy-Fong-Logo-Sticker-_279167.jpg

old rigger

Reaction score
Not to derail the thread, but I never knew Howard was located over there. Where about was they located? I worked the streets there for 25 years and never knew this.

cant remember the street but the shop backed up to the freeway. They moved there after buying Howard out. Actually Howard was carrying paper and would stop in once a month, those were my favorite times as I knew him since I was a kid so we’d shoot the shit.
Later of course they moved up to Magic Mountain. The owner actually lived up in that area and was making the drive everyday.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Heard Pabst has a $150mil option to acquire the plant.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I'm not that old, but I remember a time when there would only be a few familys at the river, rednecks muddin' and further up people prospecting.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
I was one of those redneck murders, with my new 1984 Toyota 4x4 pick up. Had the c/b call sign of "Smokin".

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I had friends that played in the mud up there...
I was one of those punks getting lit up by Irwindale's finest on Rivergrade Rd...pretty sure that's where I recieved a ticket for "Aiding & Abetting".
Also, where an officer lit up my buddy as we rolled in one night. The officer rolled along side, held up an In&Out bag, and said, "This is my dinner. I am going to sit in this parking lot, and eat. I suggest you all be gone before I finish."
We split, idling down the road. Pretty cool, he didn't hassle us...between smog, reg and insurance, more than a couple of us would have had an expensive night:eek:
I was one of those redneck murders, with my new 1984 Toyota 4x4 pick up. Had the c/b call sign of "Smokin".

calkid

Reaction score
We put in the co-generation plant for them about ten years ago. The "brown outs" were costing them a fortune in lost production. The biggest issue that we saw was the amount of liquid waste that left the property. I'm not sure what the environmental fees were for it at the time but I'll bet they are way higher with Gavin in office.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Must have been one of two Irwindale cops on duty.
When I got the ticket, both were there...one at each end:eek: The guy who tagged both cars that made a pass, and the one who sat my ass on the curb.

He didn't believe me when I told him I was looking for my dog:rolleyes:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
good for you.

Do a search of ‘East Fork San Gabriel River garbage’ and the pic pops up with many others.

Oh cause you found something on the internet, it must be true? LoL

Come on mang, you know better than that. :p

But to be fair...

There is an area on the East Fork called Shoemaker Viewpoint Day Use Area that I've never walked down too.

Ya see...

I grew up wandering all over Azusa Canyon. I know that aera up there REAL well. As I said, that Shoemaker aera is a DAY USE only aera. I can imagine it MIGHT look that way on some hot summer day, but no one is living up there.

There is a prison up in that area too. The rangers keep a close eye on that whole stretch of the east fork...

Also, don't forget Judy Chu turned the San Gabriels into a National Park or some shit like that when Obama was in office. Why did she do that?? To gain Federal Funds to police, improve and clean up everything up there. That was quite a few years ago now.

Don't believe everything you see or read on the interweb. ;)

old rigger

Reaction score

But to be fair...

There is an area on the East Fork called Shoemaker Viewpoint Day Use Area that I've never walked down too.

Ya see...

I grew up wandering all over Azusa Canyon. I know that aera up there REAL well. As I said, that Shoemaker aera is a DAY USE only aera. I can imagine it MIGHT look that way on some hot summer day, but no one is living up there.

There is a prison up in that area too. The rangers keep a close eye on that whole stretch of the east fork...

Also, don't forget Judy Chu turned the San Gabriels into a National Park or some shit like that when Obama was in office. Why did she do that?? To gain Federal Funds to police, improve and clean up everything up there. That was quite a few years ago now.

That's not where I first saw the picture, it was when they banned, or tried to ban, gold dredging in the river. It was in the local paper.

old rigger

Reaction score
You should go on wikipedia and correct this last entry on the river.

The East Fork is one of the most heavily used recreation areas in the entire National Forest system, as seen here. The river has suffered from trash and pollution as a result.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score

But to be fair...

Ya see...

:D

old rigger

Reaction score

It's amazing the history that's in those mountains. My favorite is up at Chantry Flat, West of the san Gabriel river. In that canyon there are still 80 or so cabins that have no running water and no electricity, and they're all connected by a party line phone that connects to the ranger station...kinda like the phones on Mayberry. All are on long term gov lease's and they're pretty cool to see, if your into that kind of thing. There's even a pack mule team that runs up and down the canyon a few times a day taking supplies to the cabin owners as there's no road, only a hiking trail. The cabins were all built I think back in the '20-30s and come up for sale now and then, I'd love to have one. My wife said she has no interest in going to a cabin with no running water.

Makes me want one even more.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
It's amazing the history that's in those mountains. My favorite is up at Chantry Flat, West of the san Gabriel river. In that canyon there are still 80 or so cabins that have no running water and no electricity, and they're all connected by a party line phone that connects to the ranger station...kinda like the phones on Mayberry. All are on long term gov lease's and they're pretty cool to see, if your into that kind of thing. There's even a pack mule team that runs up and down the canyon a few times a day taking supplies to the cabin owners as there's no road, only a hiking trail. The cabins were all built I think back in the '20-30s and come up for sale now and then, I'd love to have one. My wife said she has no interest in going to a cabin with no running water.

Makes me want one even more.
There is a lot of gold history there. Indians..."Native Americans"... had been mining there long before the Europeans made it across the continent. It was one of the last areas using hydro blasting, and still a fair amount of gold coming out by panners and picking crevices. Flash forward a bit, and the U.S.N. used one of the basins for propulsion testing. I believe that shut down in the 80's? There used to be armed guards at the gate, and a massive steel structure that would be winched in and out of the water. The government settled a lawsuit for the pollution of the ground water in the early 90's. Lots of stillborn cattle and livestock...the ranches went away and track homes went into the mouth of the canyon.

Then you have "The Bridge To Nowhere" up West Fork...as well as the rubble that was the cold war silos(Really cool before they demo'd), the cisterns dotted throughout the mountains, etc, etc...

Did some miles on foot through a lot of those hills.

old rigger

Reaction score
There is a lot of gold history there. Indians..."Native Americans"... had been mining there long before the Europeans made it across the continent. It was one of the last areas using hydro blasting, and still a fair amount of gold coming out by panners and picking crevices. Flash forward a bit, and the U.S.N. used one of the basins for propulsion testing. I believe that shut down in the 80's? There used to be armed guards at the gate, and a massive steel structure that would be winched in and out of the water. The government settled a lawsuit for the pollution of the ground water in the early 90's. Lots of stillborn cattle and livestock...the ranches went away and track homes went into the mouth of the canyon.

Then you have "The Bridge To Nowhere" up West Fork...as well as the rubble that was the cold war silos(Really cool before they demo'd), the cisterns dotted throughout the mountains, etc, etc...

Did some miles on foot through a lot of those hills.

I've read about those torpedo testings before, Morris lake or Morris dam area? Went back to WWII I think.

And wasn't there an entire town back in the 1800's that was completely washed away by the SG river?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I've read about those torpedo testings before, Morris lake or Morris dam area? Went back to WWII I think.

And wasn't there an entire town back in the 1800's that was completely washed away by the SG river?
Yes on both counts. If you really hit the hills, past the normal trails, lots of evidence of early settlers, and 50s and 60s kids.

My parents also told me about a fighter plane that went down in East Fork in the mid-60's. Loud enough it startled people in Sunday morning mass, and echoed.

brgrcru

Reaction score

I also use to play in the mud , with blue Toyota 4x4 9" lift with 35" monster mudders
Such great times . Had to be early to mid 80's.

old rigger

Reaction score
Yes on both counts. If you really hit the hills, past the normal trails, lots of evidence of early settlers, and 50s and 60s kids.

My parents also told me about a fighter plane that went down in East Fork in the mid-60's. Loud enough it startled people in Sunday morning mass, and echoed.

My mom's husband who started and is still part of a Military Museum in San Luis Obispo and was a pilot until he couldn't fly any longer (he's 85 now) he and my mom were out flying around so cal many years ago out near Riverside/Corona and he saw a reflection in some thick brush. He and his friend went back and located it again then with some friends went out to find it on foot. Turned out to be a WWII plane that went down during the war with a woman pilot. I guess women were used to deliver planes as most of the men were flying in the different campaigns of the war. Anyway it was pretty cool that she was finally recovered after all those years.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
You should go on wikipedia and correct this last entry on the river.

The East Fork is one of the most heavily used recreation areas in the entire National Forest system, as seen here. The river has suffered from trash and pollution as a result.

Why?

Wikipedia is pretty much full of useless inaccurate information! I think pretty much everyone knows that. :p

Gordon Rowley and I are pretty good pals. Years ago he handed me a TON of info on the hills up there. It's a virtual history lesson in a notebook I have.

Gordon was the head of the Glendora Trails Commission, supervisor for most of Troop 483's Eagle Projects in the hills, and most importantly...

Worked for the Forest Service when the bridge to nowhere was built. He actually worked on that project.

Even though I grew up in those Mountains, Gordon built em. He is a wealth of information about the San Gabriels.

If you seriously have an interest in the history up there, I'll invite him over my house, and he can tell you stories all day.

Also...

I've hiked Chantey a shit ton of times. All the way to My Wilson a few times as well. I've never seen any of those cabins lived it. The are pretty much abondond at this point.

Camp Sturetenvant is about the only place the mules run to now...

http://www.sturtevantcamp.com/event/

There was actually a rail road up there at one point! And a swanky club as well.

The area catered to people with Money back then. It was the hang out for the high society crowd.

Did you know the Mt Wilson Observatory was a birthday gift from a father to his son? Even back then people had rock star money! Lol

Lemme know if you wanna meet Gordon.

:)

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
This is a pretty funny story....

The lower resivour is where the Navy did their torpideo testing. Some years back, the lower resivour had to be dregged, cause too much silt had built up.

So.........

One of the guys on the dredging crew, came across a spent torpideo, and decided it would look good hanging in his garage!

The neighbors were not impressed...

And the black hats showed up and confiscated his precious torpedo! LoL

The guy lived in Irwindale. The incident was a BIG deal at the time, but I've looked before, and couldn't find a single article about it.

It's like it never happened......

LoL!