WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RIP Neil Peart

poncho

Reaction score
I did lights and sound for some local guys that covered Rush in high school. Our drummer idolized Neil and had an exact match to his drum set. Never tired of the band playing their music, it was hard to move on to more radio friendly rock later in life because Rush had so much talent compared to most and I really picked apart what I heard.
RIP Brother you meant a lot to many.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
So I have been a Rush fanatic since I was about 10 years old...1979 or so. I wasn't allowed to go to concerts until I turned 16 so shortly after I turned 16 RUSH came out with their Power Windows album and went on tour. I remember buying tickets, borrowing my parents car and driving to Oakland for it like it was yesterday...it was January 31st 1986.I still have my original shirt from that concert. I also have a shirt from almost every tour after that.

IMG_2443.jpg

IMG_2442.jpg

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
I’m not going to lie, this one is hitting me hard. I have worshipped RUSH for 40 years. One of the biggest goals in my life was to meet all 3 of them... That will never happen now and I’m sad.:(:(:(

When I first read this today around 2:00 PM I of course had to google to double check.
After confirmation, I was sure you’d know soon enough.

GRADS

Reaction score
wow. I went my 1st concert in 84. Moving pictures. I was in Jr High/ Then saw them many times after. Theres a Remo drum head signed by the legend on my sons wall.

The greatest of all time.....IMO
That's awesome!

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
A friend of friend wrote this and posted it on FB, i thought it was too good not to share

Jay Horrocks Jr - Writer & Author

Imagine this……

You are a world renowned musician loved the world over. In a short ten months your only child, a daughter, is killed in a car accident and your common law wife succumbs to an aggressive form of cancer and you are forty-five years of age.

What do you do? How do you cope?

Two months to the day of his wife’s passing Neil Peart left his native Quebec in Canada on a BMW motorcycle on what would eventually become a 55,000 mile odyssey. Only carrying a few tangibles such as clothes, a journal, a bottle of The Macallan scotch whiskey and the memories of his dearly departed family and the end of his professional career as he saw it then.

From Quebec to Alaska, along the coasts of Canada and North America and the lower 48 states (including a couple very detailed stops here in Utah), the deserts of Mexico all the way to Belize in South America and back Neil Peart saw it all. Though forward motion and interactions with the people and places on the roads lesser traveled he was able to come to grips with his past and through it all was able to have a future. He eventually re-married and had another daughter.

Anyone who has ever struggled should read this book! Whether its loss, depression, self-esteem issues or what have you what Neil Peart went through is something we all will face, or have already faced, at one time or another in our lives.

“Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road” was first published in 2002. It was Peart’s second novel. As a fledgling writer and a fan of travel I was a fan of the man through his music long before I became a fan of his prose and his ways of the spoken word.

This book literally changed my life!

Besides the stories depicted while on the road Peart’s observations while traveling, coupled with his vivid tapestry of visuals creating images with words can be told as only a crafted wordsmith like he could, It also made me become more of a deep thinker. To think that this great read came out of a dark place means that whenever the light goes dark it’s never permanent in the mortal.

This week Neil Peart became celestial, immortal. His energy is still here anytime someone plays a Rush album. His energy is still here whenever someone reads one of his writings or hears his words. His energy is here whenever his influence enables someone to pick up drum sticks, write lyrics or prose or take the road lesser traveled. His earthly demise is bigger than just his music to me and I’m sure his words and his beats will accompany me somewhere in my travels, near and far, until I too reach the end of my mortal coil.

“Suddenly
You were gone
From all our lives
You left your mark on
I remember how we talked and drank
Into the misty dawn…….” Afterimage by Rush (1984)

Thank you Neil Ellwood Peart OC (9/12/1952 – 1/7/2020.)
You will never be forgotten
Peace.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
If you'd read his books he always rode his BMW motorcycle from show to show. He mentioned in two different books of stopping in Kingman for gas and told of his time, and had a picture of, the motel he stayed at in Ash Fork. He always liked to go to Death Valley and stayed at the Furnace Creek Inn.

brgrcru

Reaction score
So sad such a great drummer .
For sone reason the last few weeks on my mountain bike rides , I was listening to Rush .
Damn it they were good .
I also saw them stoned out of my mind , around 83/84, moving pictures tour. I think at the fabulous forum .

Closer to the heart . Live was so good .

GRADS

Reaction score
Red Barchetta
Subdivisions
Headlong Flight
Witch Hunt
Camera Eye
My go to got a buzz Rush songs

I can't even come close to picking a favorite song or for that matter even an album but those are some of my faves.

Last edited:

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
I can't even come close to picking a favorite song or for that matter even an album but those are some of my faves.
There's a ton of song you can't go wrong with.......except I don't go to Tom Sawyer,,,great song but overplayed. Like Welcome to the jungle or Sweet child of mine.....run to the ground a bit. You could do a 10 page thread on overplayed songs that are great but are done with.:D

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Not sure I've shed a tear over a musician or celebrity before, so today was a first. I knew something was up when my phone started getting flooded with text messages. It's really hard to put into words how much these guys meant to me. Today the world lost the best drummer ever.
Peart was not just a drummer. First and foremost he was a family man. Lyricist, writer, composer, visionary, teacher, student of history of all types.

Canada should lower their flags. Neal Peart
I've literally been listening to 9+ hours of RUSH and still can't get enough.:(:(

Peart would really like you to hear this.

YumaRivernaut

How Far Off Was I?
Reaction score
I've been walking around gut shot all day long. Fuck. :( I haven't felt like this since some other heavy hitters passed on. My phone is still going off. As a drummer and musician it's hard to put into words how much this gifted and genuine human being influenced me throughout my life. A man who launched and inspired countless musicians, he never sold out. He was the one that told the suits and ties, our way or the highway. He was and is a gargantuan part of the soundtrack of my life.
Fuck. :( The Professor has left the building.
My older cousin Johnny turned me on to the Caresse of Steel album in 1975 and I was hooked and immediately bought the older albums and everyone there after. If Rush came within a 300 mile radius I was there as many times as I could pull off.
Starting with 2112 tour at the Starwood and ending with the R40 at Irvine Meadows and 42 other times in between. Everyone an experience. You could say I am a Rush fanatic.
The hours/days/years spent practicing to Neil's work were and still are both frustrating and sublime at the same time and were and still are my most rewarding and most challenging, especially when I was playing live. "What is a master but a master student" he once said. I have always tried to live by this same ethos.
Fuck. :(
I'm going to go hit the skins some more on my kit as a tribute and therapy. Have been for the better part of the evening.
Neil will always live in the Limelight of our memories.
I'll see you on the flip side and we'll jam together at the great gig in the sky. :)
Rest in Peace and Godspeed brother.

GRADS

Reaction score
That sucks, cancer takes another. That guy inspired me to make some changes in my life, his story after his wife and child died within a few months of each other is amazing. Said fuck it and hopped on his BMW and rode the globe for two years, no cel phone, just walked away for two years. The band waited for him to get through it. Read his book, its a great read, also the Netflix special about them is very well done.
This.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Saddens me as well. Rush was the very first concert I attended in 1975. They played at the University of Tennessee in the auditorium. General admission was $10 and my buddy and I stood at the foot of the stage a mere 4-5 feet away from them as they brought the house down. That night I will never forget.
RIP Neil, you were one of the greatest.

YumaRivernaut

How Far Off Was I?
Reaction score
The irony of this album art did not escape me.
A masterpiece as well. So sad.
download.jpeg-3.jpg

Last edited:

poncho

Reaction score
A Farewell to Kings and 2112 are the very reason I gravitate to music that also resembles storytelling.

To seek the sacred river Alph
To walk the caves of ice
To break my fast on honey dew
And drink the milk of paradise
I had heard the whispered tales
Of immortality
The deepest mystery
From an ancient book, I took a clue
I scaled the frozen mountain tops
Of eastern lands unknown
Time and man alone
Searching for the lost, Xanadu
Xanadu
To stand within the pleasure dome
Decreed by Kubla Khan
To taste anew the fruits of life
The last immortal man
To find the sacred river Alph
To walk the caves of ice
Oh, I will dine on honey dew
And drink the milk of paradise, oh paradise.

The mixture of words, music and timing here are 1% stuff. Some of you may remember the movie Eddie and the Cruisers, there was a line when Eddie says to Doc "Words and music Doc, words and music".

Last edited:

mothershipper

Reaction score
Dave grohl sums it up well in the induction speech
Thanks for posting this, always been a huge fan of Rush. Only got to see them once - Presto tour 1990 i think. Such an awesome experience to see them. Wish i could have more. Shoes that cannot ever be filled............... godspeed Neil Peart

Last edited:

mothershipper

Reaction score
Back when i was stationed in Lemoore Ca,i remember riding my Motorcycle down to OC on the weekends and somehow i managed to fit my walkman headphones into my helmet - my favorite cassette to listen to on the ride was always 2112. I was good enough to flip the cassette while riding and never to lose it...............i have it somewhere still.

GRADS

Reaction score
Some of my original concert shirts...most of them never worn. I might have to change that if they still fit.

IMG_2445 2.jpg

GRADS

Reaction score
Current favorite album has got to be Signals.

GRADS

Reaction score
CBS just played Limelight during the Chiefs/Texans game. Nice touch.

GRADS

Reaction score
So one of my friends from high school reminded me of a funny story from back in the day. It was 1984 and I was a Freshman in AP English. I was a pretty average student...and when I say average I mean C+ at best, at least in English. One day the teacher gave us an assignment to write some poetry before the end of class. Me being a slacker I couldn't think of shit but being a Rush fanatic I new every word to "The Trees"...so I wrote down the lyrics to The Trees.

When I turned in the assignment I thought my hard ass teacher was damn near going to shed a tear...I think she thought she had discovered the next Edgar Allan Poe. To say she was impressed was an understatement. So impressed she started sharing it with other teachers around school. It turns out that one of those teachers was also a Rush fan.:eek: For about a week I knew what it felt like to be a teachers pet...and then it went south. She was so embarrassed and pissed at me that it took everything I had to even pass the class.