WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Jeep reliability

Rbcconst

Reaction score
My daughter is almost 16. Looking for a vehicle for her. She wants a jeep. Is a jeep wrangler reliable? Expensive to maintain? What would be considered high miles on a jeep?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Entry prices of Jeeps are fairly high but most of the time they retain value fairly well. Price of parts are not bad and fairly easy to work on and most shops do the work. Insurance can be a bit on the higher side but that is the case with young drivers anyway. Gas mileage is fairly poor if long drives will be made.

We bought a 07 with 80k in miles and would do it all again our son loves the Jeep and says that he doesnt want to get ride of it even though the cost is a little high.

DWC

Reaction score
Had a 2000 Wrangler that i put 175,000 miles on. Very few problems. One of the best cars I’ve owned. Shouldn’t have sold it.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Entry prices of Jeeps are fairly high but most of the time they retain value fairly well. Price of parts are not bad and fairly easy to work on and most shops do the work. Insurance can be a bit on the higher side but that is the case with young drivers anyway. Gas mileage is fairly poor if long drives will be made.

We bought a 07 with 80k in miles and would do it all again our son loves the Jeep and says that he doesnt want to get ride of it even though the cost is a little high.

Thats about the milage im looking for. I plan to get insurance quotes before purchasing. My sons insurance is expensive, im hoping the girls are a bit cheaper but I doubt it.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Ask Mike over at JMS about em. He bought one for his daughter. After two years of headaches, they finally got it lemon lawed.

Total nightmare.

DEEZNUTS

Reaction score
What price range/year range are considered?

A LOT of variables here, this should help us narrow it down.

oldschool

Reaction score
We bought a new Wrangler(2013) for our daughter to drive when she turned 16. We priced new and used and decided to by new. There wasn’t a big price difference between new, with a good warranty, and used with a fair amount of miles. We have had very few issues and everything was covered under warranty.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
We bought a new Wrangler(2013) for our daughter to drive when she turned 16. We priced new and used and decided to by new. There wasn’t a big price difference between new, with a good warranty, and used with a fair amount of miles. We have had very few issues and everything was covered under warranty.

Was the insurance crazy?

PlanB

Reaction score
I have an 03 Sport on 33's with a 4.5 short arm lift with 145k on the odometer. I also have an 06 Rubicon with a 4.5" long arm on 35's with a bunch of mods. 26K on the odometer, with 90% of that off road. Both have been extremely reliable.

Reactions: DWC

oldschool

Reaction score
Was the insurance crazy?

Not too bad, my wife pays it so I can’t tell you exactly what it was. I think my 16 yo was listed on one of our older vehicles, not sure if that’s exactly how that works. But insurance is definitely not cheap for a young driver.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
They are not very safe. I would never advise a friend or a client to put their child in a Wrangler.

Grand Cherokee is the best option, but even then they are lesser vehicles compared to even old school iron IMO.

Rather see a teen in a Vistacruiser Wagon with a seat belt on, than almost any tinfoil POS with airbags unless at high speed.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
They are not very safe. I would never advise a friend or a client to put their child in a Wrangler.

Grand Cherokee is the best option, but even then they are lesser vehicles compared to even old school iron IMO.

Rather see a teen in a Vistacruiser Wagon with a seat belt on, than almost any tinfoil POS with airbags unless at high speed.

This.

oldschool

Reaction score
Anything they drive, whether it’s a new vehicle with air bags, crumple zones, etc or an old pos with lap belts, get them real driver training. I’m not talking about the training required for their license, I mean real life, real situation training. Both my daughters have been through several B.R.A.K.E.S. training sessions. It’s insane, to me,to put them out there on the road without professional training, even if it’s in some old bucket of shit built out of penitentiary steel.

TCHB

Reaction score
Buy her a MB Diesel with 100000 miles on it. Very reliable and much safer.

73mandella

Reaction score
I've owned several and maintenance has never been a problem. My only problems with the jeeps are that the standard straight 6 is gutless and burns fuel like you own a gas station. I only managed to get 15mpg on an average. It’s also tight on space; the back seat is very cramped. That might be good for a 16-year-old, fewer distractions in the car. I’m sure she'll enjoy one.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
We have a 2012 wrangler unlimited with 94k on it. No major issues. If you get a wrangler get a 2012+ So you get the 3.6 motor.

C-2

Reaction score

Whaaaa? Recently my co-worker t-boned a Camry and they had to cut the guy out of his car, it looked like an accordion. Her Jeep Wrangler was out of the shop in a couple of days - bumper damage only.

C-2

Reaction score
We pulled the trigger today for my 16-year old daughter. 2014, 51K, new tires, super clean hard top, clean CarFax, $20K out the door at Longo Toyota.

Private sellers want a grip, whereas dealers sell them for less.

We were going back and forth with a guy with similar Jeep, never off-road, but soft top and worn tires...he wouldn't budge at $20K, down from 21.5. I told him taxes are still 7.5%, he didn't care and said we would never get the one at the dealer out the door at $20K....he was wrong.

https://www.longotoyota.com/used/Je...s-county-0b3b1f290a0e0a174295f2ab41c7592a.htm

Rbcconst

Reaction score
We pulled the trigger today for my 16-year old daughter. 2014, 51K, new tires, super clean hard top, clean CarFax, $20K out the door at Longo Toyota.

Private sellers want a grip, whereas dealers sell them for less.

We were going back and forth with a guy with similar Jeep, never off-road, but soft top and worn tires...he wouldn't budge at $20K, down from 21.5. I told him taxes are still 7.5%, he didn't care and said we would never get the one at the dealer out the door at $20K....he was wrong.

https://www.longotoyota.com/used/Je...s-county-0b3b1f290a0e0a174295f2ab41c7592a.htm

Nice purchase. Whats the insurance cost?

C-2

Reaction score
Nice purchase. Whats the insurance cost?

I'll let you know next week.

Start watching for them, this one hit the Internet today so we jumped on it. Blue Book is out the door when searching for one, strictly market value.

We looked at some decently priced Avis Jeeps, but I saw red mud and knew they came from Hawaii. They were beat.

Tons of salvage titles with private sellers.

Parker Dreamin

Can I get a what what ???
Reaction score
We got our daughter a Jeep Compass, new with all the bells. $19k. So far it has been great. We also have a 18’ Rubicon and no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rbcconst

Reaction score
We got our daughter a Jeep Compass, new with all the bells. $19k. So far it has been great. We also have a 18’ Rubicon and no issues.

Is she a teen Driver? Whats the insurance cost?

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I love Jeeps and own one. But Jeep Wranglers aren't the safest vehicle in terms of crashes and braking (typically the worst-performing brakes in a factory vehicle).

The only suggestion I'd give you about putting kids into Jeep Wranglers is don't get them the short wheelbase, 2 door version. Go with the Wrangler Unlimited as the longer wheelbase will be safer in terms of stability

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Whaaaa? Recently my co-worker t-boned a Camry and they had to cut the guy out of his car, it looked like an accordion. Her Jeep Wrangler was out of the shop in a couple of days - bumper damage only.

They are 3 star rated on rollover only from 2007-2017 , the current model is untested so far. As with all Wrangler body jeeps, front head on is decent, anything from behind is marginal and if YOU get t-boned they are very poor rated in side collisions.

If the Camry had t-boned your co-worker you would have heard a much different story.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Jeep/Wrangler/2014/safety/ Link to an easy to read rating for a 2014, there are many that show the same thing but in different layouts.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I love Jeeps and own one. But Jeep Wranglers aren't the safest vehicle in terms of crashes and braking (typically the worst-performing brakes in a factory vehicle).

The only suggestion I'd give you about putting kids into Jeep Wranglers is don't get them the short wheelbase, 2 door version. Go with the Wrangler Unlimited as the longer wheelbase will be safer in terms of stability

Yep, and fer chrissakes don’t put your kids into these aftermarket seats....they’re literally in the crush zone.

BC9442F0-36A6-4E52-A9A3-E3497B00AD1C-65096-00002647FEA3724F.jpg

DLC

Reaction score
Congratulations on your purchase!

Reactions: C-2

Parker Dreamin

Can I get a what what ???
Reaction score
Is she a teen Driver? Whats the insurance cost?

We shopped insurance and went with Wawanesa. Wife and I have clean records and to add our daughter it almost doubled.

Reactions: DWC

Rbcconst

Reaction score
We shopped insurance and went with Wawanesa. Wife and I have clean records and to add our daughter it almost doubled.

I believe it. For my Son it was cheaper to get him his own policy and it was around 2600 for the year.

DWC

Reaction score
Glad I asked. The more I research the less I am interested. I think ill find her a tank.

I made a mistake and bought my oldest a 74’ Vette for his 16th. Kid had back surgery at 15 1/2 and it was his dream car. It lasted a year. On a tow truck more than any car I’ve owned. Gave him my Jeep next. That was great but gas is brutal. The next two got a corolla and a volt. Great on gas. No issues. Great cars. If i had to do it over again i wouldn’t let them pick the first cars. Especially since there’s a damn good chance they’re going to get in at least a couple fender benders in the school lot.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I'm going the "tank" route with my daughter. She tries for her license next week. Her truck is an 85ish C10. It has a 350, but freeway gears and no overdrive. Mileage isn't the greatest, but it has stuff I consider modern, like power windows and AC. Mechanical parts are cheap, and available anywhere out here. When she goes to college, hoping to find her an older Avalanche like my wife's...a more modern "tank".

Beerme

Retired...Time for a cold one!
Reaction score
Congratulations on your purchase. We went with a used 2013 when my daughter turned 16. I put a 2.5 inch lift and 35 on it for her, well me:D, but she loved it. 1800 a year for her and 2000 a year when my son turned 16 with Wawanesa.

The nice things I like about my daughter being in a jeep, it sits high so better vision, large bumpers (she hit a old suburban pulling into the parking at the high school) and the best thing I loved is it is really a toad to drive. I felt that if she could drive a jeep, everything else would be easy for her. Heck, she's 19 know and really appreciates driving her brother's focus, which she use to hate.

I hope she love it!

941Punk

some beach, somewhere.
Reaction score
11 with 200k on it. Needs nothing major.

I let my kid drive my Wrangler. Shit, the shit boxes we had at 16 are far less safer or whatever then a newer Jeep. Every car is a death trap because you don't know what life is going to throw out at you.

oldschool

Reaction score
It’s a 07 Denali XL, it’s in the classifieds. Perfect river wagon or for a young driver.