WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Flu shots - Yes or No

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
I preach I don't get sick!! Maybe every three years... shits been goin around the office...

I wake up Friday... puke 5x leaving for work.. work all day, I'm F-ING SICK!!

Got shit to do Saturday... barely hanging on by a thread..

This morning I had an 8am project review, while taking a shower, I feel like I'm gonna pass out....
my honey is yelling at me... what are you doing, did you fall??? I passed out in our shower, laying on the ground with her yelling at me... didn't even know..

canceled my 8am, went to emergency clinic, yep you got the flu, they suggest an IV, which they don't do... I fight them about no F-ing IV... (ps, I'm running on 25% energy), one hour later, I'm at the ER with a liter of fluid in my arm.... feeling 100% better, (maybe 50% energy, got some food and liquid)..

anyway

Do you get a Flu shot??

Me, NO (but this current shit (type A) just might of changed my mind)

infield

Reaction score
Get the shot. I get it as early as possible.

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score
I get it, haven’t been full on sick since. Couple times I got what I believe was a mild version but it could be allergies. My husband does NOT get the shot:mad: He is trying now to recover from this seasons flu and as tough as he is, it won’t let go. He’s tired and week. This is year 4, he just doesn’t understand that when you get older things change :rolleyes:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The last time I had the shot was late '11. Mom was doing chemo, and asked me to get it. I was sicker than shit a few times that year. I feel it was probably more from spending so much time in doctors offices, hospitals and probably just the stress alone. On average, I get sick about once a year.
It may also depend on your work. Being outdoors, helps a bunch. In an office job, you're screwed. If you puke getting ready for work, keep your sick ass home;) That shit can do a round robin...whole office.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
I quit getting the shot years ago, and never had any issues until this season. Early November I came down with something that hit me like a ton of bricks. Two weeks into it I felt fine with just a stuffy nose, went to the river and felt awesome for another week. Then it hit me harder all over again (maybe a relapse or another strain) I was a mess until Christmas and now I have a shit load of atriphie I'm dealing with.
Several times I considered admission to to the er.
The flu this year is definitely nothing to fuck around with.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
My wife is an RN. She's says out of roughly 10 different strains of flu each year the shot might protect you from half. I work at a germ filled airport and they offer the shots for free but I skip it. I catch the flu about every 4 years.

rrrr

Reaction score
When you feel sick for a couple of days and barf a few times, that's not the flu. Influenza, the real thing, can kill. The vaccination might not be right for the mutations later in the season, but you won't get as sick either.

Passing out, 104 degree fever, can't keep down two saltine crackers, and needing IV fluids...that's the real thing.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
When you feel sick for a couple of days and barf a few times, that's not the flu. Influenza, the real thing, can kill. The vaccination might not be right for the mutations later in the season, but you won't get as sick either.

Passing out, 104 degree fever, can't keep down two saltine crackers, and needing IV fluids...that's the real thing.

My wife says there's many types of flu most common are A B and C. Most are respiratory only. I've had a Dr. tell me I had the flu but I felt fine. Different strains affect us differently and each person may not have the same level of symptoms as the next.

76 Hondo

76 Hondo
Reaction score
Never have the shot, never had the flu, but some of the crap going around has me rethinking things?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I have never gotten the shot. Can't remember the last time I've had a legit flu.
My wife is an RN. She's says out of roughly 10 different strains of flu each year the shot might protect you from half. I work at a germ filled airport and they offer the shots for free but I skip it. I catch the flu about every 4 years.
This x3! They essentially guess at which couple strains to include in the vaccine based on what was most prevalent in Australia during their winter. Plus, anything a pharmasudical company gives away for free is not something I'd trust much at all....

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

SixD9R

Reaction score
I get the flu shot at work every year. Never had the flu and don’t want it. I understand that some people have allergies or other adverse reactions and that’s a good reason not to get it. All I ever get a little soreness in my arm so I really don’t see the downside to the vaccine.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
The vaccine is a crap shoot of sorts. It’s based largely on Australia’s flu season , strains they encounter.
If Australia has a bad season, we will too.

I get it every year, we have typhoid, measles, MRSA running around downtown and LAX.
I get exposed to radiation from my X-rays and am still standing.
Have not had the flu in over 20 years

colds? Once every other year
To each their own
It can be a touchy subject
I can get into the science but for every pro, someone can post a con.
All good

Reactions: t&y

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Never have gotten it though the wife does...62 now and haven't been sick in years.

I just jinxed that one. :eek:

Yellowboat

Reaction score
How we found out i was highly allergic to a protien in egg yokes is a flue shot, it put me in the hosiptal for days.

For those that do not know they implante the flu virus that has been modifed into a egg, let it repoduce then harvest it

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I am required to get the flue shot every year, from my Liver transplant Doctor.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Bunch of stuff I don’t want in my body .
So no for me and my family

Just curious......if you have kids, does some of this 'stuff you don't want in your body(s)' include the usual mmr, hpv, etc vaccines that kids usually get?

JDKRXW

Reaction score
I can get into the science but for every pro, someone can post a con.
All good

Disagree.
There are a few cons to vaccines, but overall, there is exactly zero question that vaccinations benefit society......even if you are an anti-vaxxer and don't get the needle yourself.

Side note - wife and I both got the Shingles shot a couple of weeks ago. The needle itself might have had 1ml .....but that tiny bit hurt like a mother f'er for about 2 days :)

oliverm5

Reaction score
The flu has 20 or 30 different strains every year. Getting a flu shot only protects you against one of them so it's pretty much a shot in the dark. That's not considering the hidden effects of getting a vaccination and whatever else is in that vaccine.

bocco

Reaction score
I get a flu shot every year. I fully realize that it's no guaranty but it's worked so far for me.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Wifes a nurse. Get the flu shot. She worked in the ICU in the respiratory unit at Cedars. Many healthy people die of the flu. When it hits it hits hard. And obviously elderly and babies when it hits their immune system has a harder time trying to fight it.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Just curious......if you have kids, does some of this 'stuff you don't want in your body(s)' include the usual mmr, hpv, etc vaccines that kids usually get?
All the kids had they shots when they were young

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Disagree.
There are a few cons to vaccines, but overall, there is exactly zero question that vaccinations benefit society......even if you are an anti-vaxxer and don't get the needle yourself.

Side note - wife and I both got the Shingles shot a couple of weeks ago. The needle itself might have had 1ml .....but that tiny bit hurt like a mother f'er for about 2 days :)

it’s a boating site
I try to not argue on some topics
This is one of them

as posted I get it
My wife is in charge of 4K nurses from Kern county to San Diego
I get it

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
That's a big NO for me! I seldomly get sick...I'm talking like once every 5 years. I got the flu shot a few years back and a week later I was the sickest I've ever been.

On a sidenote, two years ago my wife's doctor suggested she have a measles vaccination and 10 day later she had the measles.

jetur

Reaction score
I don't get it. Wife is a RN (was charge nurse for yrs in ICU) and bitches about me not getting it. I get sick probably once a year but work anyway, can't remember ever having the flu.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I got very sick two years in a row after taking flu shots. One of the times I had to go to the hospital because I couldn't stop vomiting. Needless to say I will never get another flu shot.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Eat healthy is the main thing !
Fresh foods
No processed foods
And wash your hands after coming home from the store .

Last edited:

C-2

Reaction score
I get it every year and take a decent amount of vitamins, and often times I eat an apple during the evening. Seems to work.

This year Kaiser had a drive thru flu shot clinic. took less than 5-minutes and we never left the car!

buck35

Reaction score
Never had one , but getting sick and building up antibodies seems to have worked for me. Haven't had the flu in along time although the wife did this fall with me sleeping next to her . Maybe it can't live in the beer or something.:p

530RL

Reaction score
Always get one.

But I always wore condoms during my single life.

Maybe I’m too cautious?

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
just curious...

stay healthy, thanks for the replies....

the reason for this thread, after the visit to the Clinic then the ER, I answer No to the question 8x today
" Did you get your Flu shot"

PS, I take many vitamin supplements and teaspoon of ACV every morning....

15 - No
18 - Yes

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
I had one before I had open heart surgery. The only year I got the flu. It wasn't my choice. Never again.

Dan'l

Dalton

Reaction score
its a requirement for my work, that's what they tell me anyways. if I had the choice I wouldn't.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
I said no to the shot for many years and hardly ever get sick. Wife's cousin almost died from the flu. I got the shot this year and made the wife happy.

farmo83

Reaction score
I get one. Normally my company always offers them for free and I just go on a break. Knock on wood haven't gotten the flu in 15ish years.

dave29

Reaction score
Never. Get the flu once every 6-7 years. My parents got the shots every year and every year they got the flu.