WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Utah Mud.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Pretty fucking funny! Nice guys, must pay well....

nowski

Reaction score
That's not mud it's greasy clay...

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
I bet Ed used to drive Model T's through that stuff and never got stuck. :cool:

Some peoples kids. :p

stoker

Reaction score
The guy sitting at his desk at the end of the video has a portrait of Cosmo Cramer hanging on the wall behind him.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I am surprised he doesn't have a winch. It seems to be that would be really helpful for some of his rescues.

They pointed out that when these folks drove in, the road was dry and passable. Then a crazy rainstorm came and the roads became just impassible. It looks so freaking slippery....

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
most of the dirt roads in southern Uturd are grease mud when they get wet....the guy in the jeep is so so Utah local

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
You guys haven’t got your shirts yet?

519814F9-AC3D-462A-839A-AA6CDA6109F3.jpeg

Dumb luck I had it on last time I helped some stuck girls in the desert. Maybe it made me look like I knew what I was doing.

Wearing it I felt like a Kennedy and while watching Matt’s You Tubes.

Last edited:

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
I am surprised he doesn't have a winch. It seems to be that would be really helpful for some of his rescues.

They pointed out that when these folks drove in, the road was dry and passable. Then a crazy rainstorm came and the roads became just impassible. It looks so freaking slippery....

He has another Cherokee with a winch if needed.

bk2drvr

Reaction score

He has a winch but hardly ever uses it. Ive studied his operation and its pretty simple - Use inexpensive recovery tools that work, do the recoveries quick, get paid and move on.

Winching takes too long and he doesn't like them because they are dangerous. He has a couple of kinetic energy ropes, small assortment of shackles to attach to different vehicles and his pull rig. His recovery operation is simple. It makes total sense.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
Check this one out. Matts Recovery was on standby for this recovery of a 4Runner stuck in the mud for 2 days in a remote area of Nevada. This guy is damn lucky some fellow off-roaders came to his rescue and did it all for free.

Reactions: TPC

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Up by Colorado city back way to Springdale

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
For those of you guys in the know, in heavy clay like that is there any advantage to airing down? Seems like the wider footprint would help but i honestly dont know or have any experience in that kind of stuff

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
For those of you guys in the know, in heavy clay like that is there any advantage to airing down? Seems like the wider footprint would help but i honestly dont know or have any experience in that kind of stuff

If you watch his Rzr and Can Am recoveries often the no-bite tires are the problem. Even in really simple situations.

Slick Tensors or Ultra Crosses just spin where Carnivores and Big Horns and the mudder tires offer some paddling.

Matt does air down in many situations.
Can’t hurt.

One interesting trick he did on customers AWD and FWD.

You spin the front while turning the steering wheel in the extreme direction of the spinning front tire then quickly turn the steering wheel in the extreme other direction.
It tricks the diff to transfer the drive power over to the non spinning wheel.

It works when he does it. Maybe doesn’t upload when it doesn’t work.

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
As a new apprentice electrician in the mid 1960's, I worked with another guy setting temporary power on new tract-home projects.
The company truck I drove was a late 1940's Dodge Power Wagon that was set up with an extremely HD rack for carrying 20' black diamond temp power poles and a front winch and boom for setting and later pulling the poles (Similar to the one pictured) .
We had another nicer and newer truck with the drill auger. The old Dodge had the narrow military style tires, we often encountered muddy conditions which would cause that PW loaded with poles to sink to the running boards.
First time I encountered this I figured we were screwed, the good ole boy mentor calmly instructed me to put it in 4X Low transfer, 1st gear, let out the clutch and stay off the gas ---- OH and most importantly, whatever you do ---- "Keep your thumbs on the outside of the steering wheel, else you lose a thumb"
Sure as shit to my complete amazement, that ole Dodge started paddling it's way forward, so slow I could have stepped out, walked over and taken a piss and returned, but it kept going.
I'm not sure how those ole military tires worked so good, but would seem whomever designed them knew a thing or three about mud bogging, more crawling really. :D
1946_Dodge_Power_Wagon.jpg

nowski

Reaction score
most of the dirt roads in southern Uturd are grease mud when they get wet....the guy in the jeep is so so Utah local

Spent many moons in Duck Creek and experienced the greasy mud first hand. Four wheel drive with chains on all corners is no match for this stuff...

bk2drvr

Reaction score

I think a bigger footprint is always good but the type of tire like mentioned above makes a huge difference. The paddling affect seems to help quite a bit. If you look at the tires Matt is running on the Cherokee they are mud type boggers with thick lugs. BTW, Matt runs 9lbs on all four corners on his Cherokee at all times.

Taboma

Reaction score
I'm not at all familiar with this area of Utah -- don't think so anyway.
But how is it that these folks mired in mud or requiring a recover in other videos, able to simply call for assistance ? Is Utah saturated with cell phone towers ?
Cell is spotty as hell or non-existent in many areas of AZ, despite those areas have some well traveled highways.

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
I'm not at all familiar with this area of Utah -- don't think so anyway.
But how is it that these folks mired in mud or requiring a recover in other videos, able to simply call for assistance ? Is Utah saturated with cell phone towers ?
Cell is spotty as hell or non-existent in many areas of AZ, despite those areas have some well traveled highways.
Ya that in between hurricane and Zion so most likely had service or they walked

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
That audi... what was he thinking
I see these jackasses driving to Tahoe all the time. They think because their Audi, BMW, etc is all-wheel drive that means they can drive it in a foot of snow.:rolleyes:

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I see these jackasses driving to Tahoe all the time. They think because their Audi, BMW, etc is all-wheel drive that means they can drive it in a foot of snow.:rolleyes:

Its funny and I've experienced this first hand in Powell. The internet has made every cool place visible to the world so they come in droves. Go to Lake Powell in the summer and step foot in a hotel or restaurant and they are filled with people speaking other languages. Many of the recoveries Matt does is pulling out Europeans exploring the area. They are there because Zion is a big draw to Europeans and they often take off on their own exploring the surrounding areas. There are some plain stupid people on there too that have no business being off-road. Also the Sand Hollow recreation area (Sand Dunes) is near Hurricane and he does a lot of recoveries there of trucks, cars and a lot of SXS with front A-arm assemblies torn off.

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
Its funny and I've experienced this first hand in Powell. The internet has made every cool place visible to the world so they come in droves. Go to Lake Powell in the summer and step foot in a hotel or restaurant and they are filled with people speaking other languages. Many of the recoveries Matt does is pulling out Europeans exploring the area. They are there because Zion is a big draw to Europeans and they often take off on their own exploring the surrounding areas. There are some plain stupid people on there too that have no business being off-road. Also the Sand Hollow recreation area (Sand Dunes) is near Hurricane and he does a lot of recoveries there of trucks, cars and a lot of SXS with front A-arm assemblies torn off.
I stay away from SH to many cops just glassing everyone if they see you with a beer ( boat or dunes ) your going to get stopped when you leave + to many jackoffs with fast cars and 2nd mortgages ;)