WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bought a Baja bug, anyone else into them?

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Sold my RZR, the stigma of being poor was too much to handle for me, so I picked up a baja bug. I wanted something different anyway, it needs some TLC but all of the good parts are there. 2065 Turbo, king shocks, 10" over front beam, 6" wider rear, 3 by 3 trailing arms, fuel cell, four wheel disc, full cage, bus box, hanging petals, etc......buddy of mine has had it for years and i got it for a song.

Should keep me busy in the garage for quite some time, im going to tear it apart and start over, powder coat everything, paint the body etc.

IMG_4602.JPG

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I hear @82daytona has a cool bug, he’s still trying to decide if it’s going to be a baja or just a shell in his rack storage.

D19

Reaction score
My neighbor gets good use out of his during the holidays.

D523CE8C-8C19-4C09-A960-A5B180787907.jpeg

Reactions: DWC

EmpirE231

Reaction score
just some TLC, or are we talking LS swap, A-arm front end etc?

Meaney77

Reaction score
Nice find! Looks like you have a good starting point with all good running parts.

What are your plans for the car? Hopefully putting glass back in the car to keep the wife warm, dust free, and happy??!!

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I've always liked baja bugs. I went to school with someone that had a baja bug with a dodge colt 4 cylinder engine in it. I remember when the 2.0 L Pinto engines were pretty common additions. The new LS build ones are really bad ass.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Any chance easier entry exit than the Vett? J/K

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Nice find! Looks like you have a good starting point with all good running parts.

What are your plans for the car? Hopefully putting glass back in the car to keep the wife warm, dust free, and happy??!!
Yeah, windows back in, tear it down and powder coat the cage and chassis, paint the body, it’s all there mechanically, mainly fluids and tube stuff, the major work will be the comestic stuff.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Yeah, windows back in, tear it down and powder coat the cage and chassis, paint the body, it’s all there mechanically, mainly fluids and tube stuff, the major work will be the comestic stuff.
Are you going to stick with the VW motor?

Slats

Reaction score
I never had one but always liked and wanted one. Back in high school. Couple guys had the pinto motors in them. They hauled ass. Looks nice. Have fun.

Backlash

Reaction score
Nowhere close to having one that's complete, but yes. Its another one of my slow moving projects! :eek::D

20191212_134242.jpg

cofooter

Reaction score
Old School VW, right on, I have an old VW rail, they are a blast!

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
BA29E802-C0E8-425F-B9B3-8251A5BF62A0.jpeg

First Baja...built by Gary Emory and his father Neil...
...Gary just drove away from my house a few minutes ago but not in the bug...although it does reside in Oregon at his daughters house...

Meaney77

Reaction score
If you are on IG, there are several cool Baja pages to follow and get some ideas.

=River Perfection=

Reaction score
RIVERDIRT 2 I could have your old race car. My bug was a OG class 5 car in its other life. Cool picture.

ONE-A-DAY I belong to few BAJA groups, try Facebook too. Always fun it run across another BAJA in the desert, they are just cool as ever. Our's is getting painted red, but we run around Earp and Parker, stop by if you see us out there.

d.jpg

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
RIVERDIRT 2 I could have your old race car. My bug was a OG class 5 car in its other life. Cool picture.

ONE-A-DAY I belong to few BAJA groups, try Facebook too. Always fun it run across another BAJA in the desert, they are just cool as ever. Our's is getting painted red, but we run around Earp and Parker, stop by if you see us out there.

d.jpg

Same custom paint as mine :) Is that side window with the fuel fill plexiglass I take it? I need to do the same for mine, did you buy that somewhere or made it yourself?

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Sold my RZR, the stigma of being poor was too much to handle for me, so I picked up a baja bug.

Haha! Stigma of being poor.

Thats a rad baja. Ive always wanted one, but everyone I find here in NM is overpriced by 10x because you dont see them here. One day I'll have one...

Heylam

Reaction score
Walt, you turn everything you get your hands on sick. No doubt in my mind this will be incredible when you’re done with it.

77charger

Reaction score
Id consider a honda 3.5 swap its about the same length front to back as the vw is with the exhaust and will make more power than the vw.

Suspension sounds good on that,The turbo engine will work fine but you will be having to do some basic vw maintainance here and there and parts aint cheap if anything goes wrong very hard to get your money back when selling too.(i ran one for years barely got half what i had into my 2275 and all solid parts)

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Is it a real Manx?
Don’t know , I’m going to see if it will start , clean carb change oil squirt some oil in cyc turn it over with a impact and then see if it will start - fire , once I get it running the rest is easy ( $$$ ) grand kids will dig it .

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
no, just a clone.

I can do new fiberglass for you front and rear, and can also do the polycarbonate windows. I make the stuff that Pacific Customs sells.
They sell Baja glass hoods I believe, I need one, go through you or them?

wash11

Reaction score
Bitchin.
I'm sure you chatted up Stolze before purchasing. That guy has forgotten more about these things than most people will ever know.

Curious to see how you manage oil leaks and your OCD:D

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Bitchin.
I'm sure you chatted up Stolze before purchasing. That guy has forgotten more about these things than most people will ever know.

Curious to see how you manage oil leaks and your OCD:D
Oh yeah, ran it by him, he said the parts on it were worth far more than what I paid for it

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I've been keeping an eye open for a baja for a little bit now. My youngest is only 12, but says he mants one. They are only getting more expensive these days. He's kind of my more wild one. I figure if I put him in a car with a cage, and a single carb 1915 or 1776, it'll be powerful enough, but hopefully less power than talent. May help keep the wheels down;)

manxman

Reaction score
They sell Baja glass hoods I believe, I need one, go through you or them?
I have hoods , with and without head lights and high side rear fenders to clear a larger tire. I can make them for you if your local, or Pacific has them in stock. It's up to you.
baja hoods 002 (Large).jpg

H2O

Reaction score
OK, here is a question for Baja bug peeps....I'm kinda new to this, just kicking tires.

Front Beam vs A-arm suspension??

I would think a nice a-arm set-up would be a no brainer for off-road, and most of the high end builds (LS motor, etc) seem to have a-arms.

On the other hand, I've seen quite a few Score Class 5 bugs and many serious off-road bugs have beam suspensions. Is a beam suspension a regulation for Class 5?

If you're going to drive a bug 60% on highway, is beam clearly the way to go?
Can a-arm be set up for nice drivable, street set-up with proper calibrations?

Last edited:

cakemoto

Reaction score
OK, here is a question for Baja bug peeps....I'm kinda new to this, just kicking tires.

Front Beam vs A-arm suspension??

I would think a nice a-arm set-up would be a no brainer for off-road, and most of the high end builds (LS motor, etc) seem to have a-arms.

On the other hand, I've seen quite a few Score Class 5 bugs and many serious off-road bugs have beam suspensions. Is a beam suspension a requirement for Class 5?

If you're going to drive a bug 60% on highway, is beam clearly the way to go?
Can a-arm be set up for nice drivable, street set-up with proper calibrations?
The beam just bolts on. If you do the a arm set up up really need a tube cage with bulkhead. (Just more work)

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I have hoods , with and without head lights and high side rear fenders to clear a larger tire. I can make them for you if your local, or Pacific has them in stock. It's up to you. View attachment 834961

Where are you at, I want the race one with no lights. Do you also make the rear cowl that sits above then engine / below the window? And also how about the scoops that replace the rear windows?

manxman

Reaction score
Where are you at, I want the race one with no lights. Do you also make the rear cowl that sits above then engine / below the window? And also how about the scoops that replace the rear windows?

My Family Business
MGM Plastics / Fiber Reinforced Products
235 Bingham Dr
San Marcos , Ca. 92069 (760)744-8909
We only make the high cut back fenders, not the whole cowl.
I normally do Lexan back windows and glue or rivet the thermal formed scoops in. It makes it real hard to see if you cover those back windows with something solid.
I tried to build and market an a-arm longtravel baja years ago, but I found the normal baja crowd was to cheap to spend the money like the manx or rail crowd did.
new baja bug 001 (Large).jpg
new baja bug 002 (Large).jpg
new baja bug 006 (Large).jpg
new baja bug 007 (Large).jpg
new baja bug 008 (Large).jpg
new baja bug 003 (Large).jpg
new baja bug 004 (Large).jpg