WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

traveling for work

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
So...the new job is kinda up in the air still, but I'm headed to Fort Meyers FL on Wed. to attend an event for a reason that I still don't understand. I thought about hitting up our resident Cape Coral guy...but I don't really have enough time to convince him that I'm his son in an effort to inherit that badass boat of his, so I'll have to just take some pictures of the floating garbage at whatever marina I find at which to eat lunch....

This is the first time I've really had to travel for work...I don't mind flying, but I hate flying for more than 3 hours...which I'll be doing this time.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I don't know what you do, but I have traveled for work for 25 years. I just arrived in Romania... I happen to love it, but can get weird for sure. Funny, but I always go to a Marina if I have any downtime. We'll see if I get a chance this trip. May actually make a Sunday road-trip to Ukraine :eek:

Icky

Reaction score
Try to stay on one airline and one hotel chain if you get to keep your points. A few of our guys get upgraded for free alot.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
So...the new job is kinda up in the air still, but I'm headed to Fort Meyers FL on Wed. to attend an event for a reason that I still don't understand. I thought about hitting up our resident Cape Coral guy...but I don't really have enough time to convince him that I'm his son in an effort to inherit that badass boat of his, so I'll have to just take some pictures of the floating garbage at whatever marina I find at which to eat lunch....

This is the first time I've really had to travel for work...I don't mind flying, but I hate flying for more than 3 hours...which I'll be doing this time.

I find that heavy drinking prior to the flight really helps with this problem :D

Dalton

Reaction score
I work full time overseas, don't actually travel for work much, I do have to do a 14 hour flight next Friday though, FML

Reactions: DWC

DWC

Reaction score
I cover the west so most of my flights are short and I can bounce home if needed. The exception are the trips to Atl every 4-6 weeks. They’re a mother F’r. Yesterday’s flight was delayed a few hours, got to the hotel at 1am and office by 7.
No Marinas here. All day meetings and planned dinners with some RDP mixed in..

gqchris

Reaction score

Consider this a break. Lol.

Some of us travel daily. It sucks. Im glad that im only west coast also with a sprinkling of PA once in a while.

I dont site see or any of that crap when working. Id rather be home and just at the task at hand to get back to my family.

Some guys on here really put the miles in. I dont know how they do it flying across the world on a regular basis. Id lose my mind! Hats off to you guys!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Traveling full time sucks. I haven't seen the world...only the best part, America. I've seen a lot of it, through a windshield, not a window seat. More than anything, it depends on your household. Wife outlook on the deal, and your outlook on the family if you have kids, as well as their ages.

The actual travel isn't really that bad. In truth, one way or another, you're getting paid to sit on your butt. Beats digging ditches for the same amount of time.

I always looked at it this way, "Am I making enough for it to be worth being away from where I want to be?" Not really a dollar amount either. When the scale tipped, I parked it.

Singleton

Reaction score
Travel weekly 9 months of the year.
Best advise = try to stay on 1 or 2 airlines. I only fly Southwest (2.5 hrs or less), or Delta for the longer flights.
Hotels = stick to 1, get status and enjoy the perk for non work travel. The Marriott upgrades I get when traveling with family makes family vacations more enjoyable.

Singleton

Reaction score
Not a big deal, unless you are in Economy.....Fuck that...

The last 2 jobs I have taken, one of the counters I have made to the original offer letter = international travel would be full fare business class. Usually full fare business class gets me an automatic upgrade to first :)

Both companies have agreed without any issues :)

j21black

Reaction score
The last 2 jobs I have taken, one of the counters I have made to the original offer letter = international travel would be full fare business class. Usually full fare business class gets me an automatic upgrade to first :)

Both companies have agreed without any issues :)

Business class on overseas flights is good enough. Basically no difference that I can find between the two classes. Last flight I had an opportunity to move from Business to 1st and I just stayed where I was.

IMG_7167.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riverhound

Reaction score
As others have stated, if you're going to be traveling with any frequency pick an airline and hotel partner that works for you and stick with it because when things go wrong, and they will go wrong, you'll want that status to help get things squared away quickly.

My jobs have always come with a lot of travel and I actually enjoy it for the most part. I've been fortunate enough to travel all over the world on someone else's dime... Currently, I have North American responsibility and spend 180+ nights in hotels and 150k - 200k miles in a plane annually. Not always fun but, it beats sitting in a cubical all day!

Nordie

Reaction score

Just head on over to Fort Myers beach, find a bar and stare at the snowbirds. Not a bad way to kill a little time. Fort Myers is actually pretty nice.

I somewhat enjoy traveling for work especially if it involves airplanes, and not getting sent on a road trip to California.

sirbob

Reaction score
Just hit 4 million miles on American.

That’s the airline I use most but have PLENTY of miles on others as well.

It’s a state of mind...

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
I’ve only travel within the USA. I nearly always make a point to walk or drive around cities to see what they have to offer. Seek out brew pubs, dive bars, famous eats or locations. Meet up with friends, family, forum members. All on someone else’s dime! Worst part of traveling is flying (the process, delays, etc), otherwise it’s great. The bonus is once you gain enough hotel points or air miles, simple to even luxury vacations become cheap.

I remember when my manager hired me 18 years ago, she says “you want to keep eating pb&j sandwiches at lunch sitting in a cubicle or travel the US eating good for free?” The choice was a no brainer at the time for a single guy.

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
Just read this I guess I’m looking to be a foster parent
Lmfao
I’m doing my usual nothing tomorrow
If you want to head over I’ll take ya down to the bait shop on my bad ass boat that’s still for sale
AJ 623 764 1864

j21black

Reaction score
To add to that last international flight pic in Business class -

We were in the KSA - They had us scheduled to leave on Saturday morning at 2am. We were done by noon on Thursday. Friday and Saturday are the weekends over there. We can't drive, can really go anywhere without someone taking us. We were basically stuck in our gated and protected by armed guards hotel for 36 hours.

We requested to have our flights moved up to Thursday as it was Thanksgiving at home and we wanted to get back. Told them business class.

We were given 2 options - Flight to Riyadh (maybe 20 minute flight) and then 15 hours (If I can remember correctly) to JFK, all in Economy as those were the only available seats.

Next option was 4 hour flight to Istnabul in 1st Class (In an A320), with an 8 hour layover there (new airport is awesome by the way) and then 10ish hours to JFK (787) in Business. We took the 2nd option even though we got back in the states a little later. I don't think I either of us would have made it 15 hours packed in a can in the back. I don't know how people do it. I can handle almost any flight in the US in E, but when you start getting over 4 hours flights, I'm always going to sit up front, if available.

The layover in Istnabul turned out to be a godsend for me. I had been awake for close to 60 hours when we got there, and I was finally able to get some sleep in the Business Class lounge.

Last edited:

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Just read this I guess I’m looking to be a foster parent
Lmfao
I’m doing my usual nothing tomorrow
If you want to head over I’ll take ya down to the bait shop on my bad ass boat that’s still for sale
AJ 623 764 1864

I might give you a call Thursday....I'm spending tomorrow in the air

bk2drvr

Reaction score

I used to think the same way you do when I started with my company 23 years ago. Didn't want to travel, said I didn't want to be away from home. Now i travel every other week (couple nights usually, 2-3 days) and feel sorry for people who sit behind a desk 8 hours a day/5 days a week and never travel. You learn way more out of the office and experience a ton more meeting new people and seeing new things. You also start to rack up airline miles, free hotel nights and free rental cars for personal use. I haven't paid for a hotel, rental car or airline ticket it quite awhile. Go into it with an open mind, good luck!

Last edited:

Cobalt232

Reaction score
A few tips of mine for work travel:

A. Park at the terminal for any trip shorter than 4 days.
B. Get Marriott Points ASAP so you can use the executive lounge. I've got almost 750 Marriott nights. The lounge is handy if you don't feel like going out to dinner.
C. The waffles are better than the pancakes in the breakfast bars.
D. If having the waffles, get an extra fork. The plastic forks break when spreading the hard butter.
E. Put in the preferences that you like an upper floor at hotels
F. Pick the car with the lowest miles in the rental car lineup unless it smells funny.
G. When you decline the rental car insurance, if they ask, tell them you only have a $250 deductable. That's how much they will charge your credit card if (when) you bring the car back damaged.
H. Even if you don't have plans, bring your passport if near Canada or Mexico.
I. Room service is overrated.
J. Redeye flights suck.
K. Foreign long haul airlines are typically better than American, United and Delta.
L. Join the rental car programs. At the very least you go to the front of the line at the counter. Stick Hertz, Avis or Enterprise/National.
M. Keep in mind traveling east is worse for jetlag than flying west.
N. If out and about and you need to use the restroom (especially #2), just walk into any decent hotel and seek one out near the meeting rooms.
O. Hotel meeting rooms are often unlocked. Nice for a temporary quiet office.
P. If you can swing it, don't check baggage, unless they offer gate check close to boarding.
Q. Sit in the emergency exit if possible, except for the row of 2 seats on the 737 as they don't recline.
R. Sit on the shady side of the airplane, especially true for the 787 since the windows don't dim fully black.
S. Have movies pre-loaded on your computer in case the in-flight entertainment is down.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
I am about 200k points away from Diamond for life with Hilton.

I could never travel for work again and be fine with it. If you have to travel, you might as well take advantage of all the benefits.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
I traveled an extreme amount in my career. Began my air miles with Continental due to a lot of Pacific Ocean travel. When they merged with United I stayed and retained my status. I often received excessive questions from customs because I traveled with only one carry on and a lap top. I was always going to or returning from my ship where I had a stateroom full of clothes and belongings. Seemed Customs at JFK usually had trouble believing that. Avoid JFK when traveling international. Yes, Business and First Class are about identical for international flights. Longest flights were always to or from Diego Garcia, below the equator in the Indian Ocean, literally on the other side of the world. Commercial flights are not allowed in to DG. These were missions for the government, so a C17 was always provided for me and my crew. Due to the length of the flight our flight crew was required an overnight layover. That meant a night at the Hilton in Guam for me and my crew. The USAF C17s picked us up or dropped us off at USN Air Station Mugu. Very convenient for those of us who lived in So Cal. Although these enormous aircraft could carry a load of tanks, the flight Weigh Master always had to weigh us in individually on a scale. He had a blank on his load out form that required a number. Airline style seating and a galley were provided for us on these aircraft. The guys once told us VP Dick Cheney preferred to fly military vs commercial. Therefore the USAF had a custom Airstream Trailer, built to Cheney's specs, which was inserted into the aircraft. Our accommodations were nice, but nothing like that. Crowne Plazas were my hotels of choice for domestic stays. Always had go international stays at Marriotts or Hiltons. I always tried to route through Newark for eastbound international travel. US Customs were good at that airport and the Crowne Plaza, immediately adjacent to the airport, was always a good stay. Air travel became a particular PIA after 9/11. I do not miss it at all.

j21black

Reaction score
I am about 200k points away from Diamond for life with Hilton.

I could never travel for work again and be fine with it. If you have to travel, you might as well take advantage of all the benefits.

How many points does that take - I've been up around 2mm in the past, now only around 100K since I found out I could use them on Amazon. Points paid for christmas.

cofooter

Reaction score
To add to that last international flight pic in Business class -

We were in the KSA - They had us scheduled to leave on Saturday morning at 2am. We were done by noon on Thursday. Friday and Saturday are the weekends over there. We can't drive, can really go anywhere without someone taking us. We were basically stuck in our gated and protected by armed guards hotel for 36 hours.

We requested to have our flights moved up to Thursday as it was Thanksgiving at home and we wanted to get back. Told them business class.

We were given 2 options - Flight to Riyadh (maybe 20 minute flight) and then 15 hours (If I can remember correctly) to JFK, all in Economy as those were the only available seats.

Next option was 4 hour flight to Istnabul in 1st Class (In an A320), with an 8 hour layover there (new airport is awesome by the way) and then 10ish hours to JFK (787) in Business. We took the 2nd option even though we got back in the states a little later. I don't think I either of us would have made it 15 hours packed in a can in the back. I don't know how people do it. I can handle almost any flight in the US in E, but when you start getting over 4 hours flights, I'm always going to sit up front, if available.

The layover in Istnabul turned out to be a godsend for me. I had been awake for close to 60 hours when we got there, and I was finally able to get some sleep in the Business Class lounge.

I fly to Asia 6-8 times a year. We had a short stint several years ago where they switched from biz class to economy plus for overseas flight. It sucked but there was no opting out - its part of the job. Sitting in the back of the bus on long trips on a regular basis takes a huge toll on your health, wellness, energy level, ability to do your job, motivation, etc. Its a real problem. Company finally realized that when people started complaining and made excuses not to travel which led to a change in policy. Travelling overseas is still a pain, but much more tolerable now.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
How many points does that take - I've been up around 2mm in the past, now only around 100K since I found out I could use them on Amazon. Points paid for christmas.

This is from the email I received from them when I asked about it. I only asked about it because it popped up as a message when I logged in to my account. I didn’t know there was such a thing before that.

Below are the requirements to achieve Lifetime Diamond:

10 years at Diamond completed (non-consecutive) and 1000 nights at a Hilton property (Paid or Reward)
OR
10 years at Diamond completed (non-consecutive)and have 2 million base points

Singleton

Reaction score
This is from the email I received from them when I asked about it. I only asked about it because it popped up as a message when I logged in to my account. I didn’t know there was such a thing before that.

Below are the requirements to achieve Lifetime Diamond:

10 years at Diamond completed (non-consecutive) and 1000 nights at a Hilton property (Paid or Reward)
OR
10 years at Diamond completed (non-consecutive)and have 2 million base points

it is the 10 years @ Diamond that take forever.
I had 3 @ Diamond status then switched to Marriott when they merged with Starwood.
Now have 6 years and 600+ nights at Platinum.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
it is the 10 years @ Diamond that take forever.
I had 3 @ Diamond status then switched to Marriott when they merged with Starwood.
Now have 6 years and 600+ nights at Platinum.

I have got the 10 years...at the end of 2019 I was 267k points sort. (Just double checked my numbers)

I will get somewhere close to 200k this year probably.

Icky

Reaction score
Never realized Diamond was more than just an extra water, a parking spot and cookies till I stayed at the double tree at universal studios Florida.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I have to figure out the points thing...I've never concerned myself with it before since I didn't fly but maybe once every couple years.

On this trip, I'm flying United on the way there and American on the way back, with a short layover on each leg because they were really the only flights available when I want to travel. Booked through expedia, staying at the Crown Plaza, since that's where the event is being held, so it sounded like a good idea at the time.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I don't have too many troubles flying long distances. I buy the wifi package and talk to friends and family along the way, drink some IPA's, snooze a little and watch a couple movies. Having noise cancelling headset makes things really nice, and no crying baby is a match for them.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I booked a round trip ticket with airfare, hotel, and a rental car.

Didn’t really pay close attention to certain details because I didn’t think I needed to.

Showed up at the hotel tonight and oh...my check in is tomorrow...WTF did Expedia expect me to do, sleep in the fucking car tonight? $220 to add an extra night

While digging through the itinerary I see that their “round trip” has me flying into Ontario on the return after I left from LAX.

I got $130 refund after an hour on the phone, but it cost me $360 to book the correct flight home.

Kinda fucking pissed off.

Dalton

Reaction score
Not a big deal, unless you are in Economy.....Fuck that...

Ended up being 16 hours....yep economy.....my neck started hurting so strange I thought it might be a collapsed lung lol....

rvrrun

Reaction score
I find that heavy drinking prior to the flight really helps with this problem :D
In the words of Homer Simpson “Here's to alcohol: the cause of, and solution to, all of life’s problems.”

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I played travel agent today...booked 3 more trips. 2 of them are 4 day trips with special hotel deals put together by the event...different chains and also different than the one I stayed at in FL. The other trip is from LGB to OAK and then I'm renting and driving back home making stops in Stockton, Fresno, and Bakersfield to teach classes...staying again in different hotels along the way. I thought I might be able to rack up 14 or so nights worth of points for something, oh well.

All 3 of these are flying out of LGB, so I can sleep in for an extra 2 hours...flights cost another $100 or so round trip, but I figure that's offset by the uber ride too and from LAX from Long Beach, so the boss shouldn't give a shit.

As far a flight points go...I might be sorta fucked on that because the company wants me to use my company card rather than my own AA or whatever card and file an expense report for reimbursement.

We'll see how this all works out.

DWC

Reaction score
I played travel agent today...booked 3 more trips. 2 of them are 4 day trips with special hotel deals put together by the event...different chains and also different than the one I stayed at in FL. The other trip is from LGB to OAK and then I'm renting and driving back home making stops in Stockton, Fresno, and Bakersfield to teach classes...staying again in different hotels along the way. I thought I might be able to rack up 14 or so nights worth of points for something, oh well.

All 3 of these are flying out of LGB, so I can sleep in for an extra 2 hours...flights cost another $100 or so round trip, but I figure that's offset by the uber ride too and from LAX from Long Beach, so the boss shouldn't give a shit.

As far a flight points go...I might be sorta fucked on that because the company wants me to use my company card rather than my own AA or whatever card and file an expense report for reimbursement.

Ask around about your company card. I threw mine away YEARS ago. They send me notices and i delete them. Until my boss says use it I’ll continue to rack up points.

PS - Just be careful what you expense. I had to fire a 20+year guy for gaming expenses.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

I use my company card but book my flights and hotels through my own accounts to take advantage of the rewards.

I see it through both the owner and employees perspective as to why these guidelines exist.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
You still get the air miles if you use the company credit card. You just don’t any bonus miles related to airline branded credit card.

I’m no fan of corporate credit cards where you pay the bill out of your own pocket. You get reimbursed, but many times you have to float your own money to pay the bill.

Icky

Reaction score
can you pay for it with your company card and use your own frequent flyer etc number?

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Yes, use their card if required and stay on the same Airline if at all possible. Connect in a major hub, and use LGB just to get to the hub. All flights to final destination from the Hub(s). I used to fly from Ontario or Orange County, to anywhere on the planet this way. Was with United and connected in Houston, Newark, SFO or sometimes LAX when I could get a non-stop somewhere easily.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Yes, use their card if required and stay on the same Airline if at all possible. Connect in a major hub, and use LGB just to get to the hub. All flights to final destination from the Hub(s). I used to fly from Ontario or Orange County, to anywhere on the planet this way. Was with United and connected in Houston, Newark, SFO or sometimes LAX when I could get a non-stop somewhere easily.

That’s my plan for now. My neck/back can’t deal with more than a couple hours in a seat...so I booked my next trip with a stopover in Phoenix on American. Have to get there on a puddle jumper from LGB, but I get an hour to walk around and loosen up before the next leg, which I think will be worthwhile...and again, the hour I lose is made up for by not leaving the house to LAX 3 hours before departure. LGB is 3 minutes from my door

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I fly to Vegas tomorrow. Work does everything but I check in through my app and I get the points. Gotta check in at noon

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
What chaps me is when corporate pays for hotel rooms via a special rate for a large group meeting, the individual employees don’t get any points for the stay. The hotel will recognize your rewards status (if you have any), but you get zero points.

Conversely, when my company used to pay for all airline flights with their corporate credit card, I would get the miles. I guess hotels and airlines work slightly different in this regard for earning points/miles.

nameisbond

Reaction score
I travel, but by car. I agree with the stay at one hotel. The place I go, like the Travel Lodge there. So I have Wyndham rewards. I can use my status at Caesars properties in Vegas. I have diamond there. Means on off days I got a suite at Harrah's for $22 per night. Got resort fee's waived.