WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Skater 368, from the beginning.

CLA

Reaction score
I'm digging the new paint scheme. Are you painting the drives and under the engine hatches?

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
I'm digging the new paint scheme. Are you painting the drives and under the engine hatches?
I’m gonna stick with black drives, red engines. Under the hatches, seat shells, and scoops will all be color/design matched.

CLA

Reaction score
I’m gonna stick with black drives, red engines. Under the hatches, seat shells, and scoops will all be color/design matched.
Perfect. I'm looking forward to seeing this thing. Not too many big cats out every weekend in Havasu. I kinda feel like we all know each other.

MooreMoney

Reaction score
Are you getting the new 700’s or the older 700’s. I am still curious what changed when mercury racing relaunched the 700’s.

Once the warranty is up I would recommend the stage 3 whipple upgrade. It really wakes up the motors and helps in the havasu heat during the summer.

CLA

Reaction score
Are you getting the new 700’s or the older 700’s. I am still curious what changed when mercury racing relaunched the 700’s.

Once the warranty is up I would recommend the stage 3 whipple upgrade. It really wakes up the motors and helps in the havasu heat during the summer.
I heard a new style blower, and I hope they fixed the IAC deal or fused it or something.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score

I plan on driving through the warranty, then do just that. The new 700 "page" on their website says they will have DTS. I've talked to others that say they will not. CLA is right, new style supercharger, internals? who knows. In any case, they will be what they are.

When I ordered the boat, the 700's had not been re-introduced yet. Tony called his Merc. rep, and on speaker, I heard him say "wait till August." At lunch, that same day, Peter Hledin told me that the 700's are just right for this boat. I had originally talked about 860's, only because of the large gap between 600-1100. Pete said the 860 is a bad choice for big cats. And he figured the 700's would be back because of that gap.

I'm really enjoying the process of building this boat. I've met some really good people and have learned much from many of them. I wouldn't trade this process for anything.

Last edited:

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I plan on driving through the warranty, then do just that. The new 700 "page" on their website says they will have DTS. I've talked to others that say they will not. CLA is right, new style supercharger, internals? who knows. In any case, they will be what they are.

When I ordered the boat, the 700's had not been re-introduced yet. Tony called his Merc. rep, and on speaker, I heard him say "wait till August." At lunch, that same day, Peter Hledin told me that the 700's are just right for this boat. I had originally talked about 860's, only because of the large gap between 600-1100. Pete said the 860 is a bad choice for big cats. And he figured the 700's would be back because of that gap.

I'm really enjoying the process of building this boat. I've met some really good people and have learned much from many of them. I wouldn't trade this process for anything.
I wonder why the 860 isn’t a good choice for larger cats? That would explain why there’s hardly any 860s out there from what I’ve seen.

MooreMoney

Reaction score
I am glad you are sharing this process. It’s been really fun to watch!

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
I wonder why the 860 isn’t a good choice for larger cats? That would explain why there’s hardly any 860s out there from what I’ve seen.

Pete said the mid-range drivability with non-supercharged motors makes them sluggish. It's a good motor, just not for this type boat. When I got there (Skater), I was thinking 860's simply because the 700's were out of production. So, I had to pick either aftermarket power or the 860. I can't afford 1100's and the 600's are just to little.

I'm over aftermarket power, tired of chasing demons, limp mode, broken this, bad sensors..blah blah blah. SO the 860 was my choice. Tony told me he thinks Merc will make him a pair. He called his rep, spoke to him on speaker phone. He basically said "wait for August." The rest, you know.

And yea, why no 860's?

Last edited:

lavey jr

Reaction score

Just curious... Because I may have missed it. But I’ve read their page for the “new” 700 many times and I didn’t see any mention about DTS at all. I also haven’t called Mercury yet about it. Where does it say that?
I’ve also seen pictures of other manufacturers installing the “new” 700’s and I didn’t see DTS on those engines.

Great thread BTW! I’m always very intrigued reading and watching new Skaters being built!

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Just curious... Because I may have missed it. But I’ve read their page for the “new” 700 many times and I didn’t see any mention about DTS at all. I also haven’t called Mercury yet about it. Where does it say that?
I’ve also seen pictures of other manufacturers installing the “new” 700’s and I didn’t see DTS on those engines.

Great thread BTW! I’m always very intrigued reading and watching new Skaters being built!

Drill down on the 700 page.

Its not crystal clear. But is states Zero Effort Digital Controls are available on Mercury packages equipped with DTS.

This is ON the 700 page.

https://www.mercuryracing.com/sterndrives/accessories/zero-effort-digital-controls/

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
What’s projected top speed with new 700s? Are you going NXT or M6? Did they fix the cone clutch issue with the NXTs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
What’s projected top speed with new 700s? Are you going NXT or M6? Did they fix the cone clutch issue with the NXTs?

@precisiondetails has told me he's been 135 in a 368 with 700's. I know that if you change rotation, you will see a small performance gain. Peter told me 130-132 would be a real world number, without all the jumping through hoops and chasing very small gains.

I've talked first-hand to a guy that has the same boat, stage 3 and he's mid 140's. The way I figure, by the time my warranty is up, I'll have adequate seat time to move up a few MPH. I'm one who respects the ability of these boats to perform beyond ones abilities.

CLA

Reaction score
Probably because of no blower. I have NA 710 vipers in my 36, it will get rolling and haul ass but the midrange acceleration isn't that great or not till I'm over 70mph. I can prop down but then I loose about 5-10 mph up top.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Probably because of no blower. I have NA 710 vipers in my 36, it will get rolling and haul ass but the midrange acceleration isn't that great or not till I'm over 70mph. I can prop down but then I loose about 5-10 mph up top.

Is your boat a Skater?

CLA

Reaction score
Is your boat a Skater?
No its a big ass tank Eliminator. It will run around 120 down river with a tail wind......lmao

prandelimtampabay.jpg

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Not a lot of visual changes for a while. Body-work is long and tedious. The windshield/cockpit register is being blended in. It has also been cut down, inside the cockpit.

The personality of the boat is showing through now. I really like the stance, or flow of the lines.

Last time we were there, Chris, the bustle guy was drilling holes for the inside sponson tie downs. I asked him what they do on the inside to reinforce them for towing tilted. They heavily bolster the inside and fully laminate those bolsters (or backing) in place. I'm going to struggle towing this boat tilted. I'll stop every 50 miles to check on it. :cool:

hull5.jpg

hull6.jpg

CLA

Reaction score
The bustle steps are going to be great when you guys are chilling out or swimming.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
That tie down process will be extensive. Does Skater have the motors & drives?

No, motors and drives have not been ordered as yet. It has to do with warranty starting times.

The bustle steps are going to be great when you guys are chilling out or swimming.

Yea, that's why we designed it like that. My wife and I did a test sit on it to be sure we both can sit on the steps. Neither one of us are "wide-glides" so no problem.

Another thing about a Skater bustle. They connect and support the tunnel extension. I don't believe any other manufactures do this. I was going to bring it up in the "long bustle" thread in the lounge but decided against it.

CLA

Reaction score
Yea you basically have the steps and tunnel tab all as one, I can dig it.

A small pump with some down spouts would be pretty trick on the steps. Flow lake water over you.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Yea you basically have the steps and tunnel tab all as one, I can dig it.

A small pump with some down spouts would be pretty trick on the steps. Flow lake water over you.

Haha hell yes, you would while building a pool wouldn’t you.
Loving this build.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Speaking of tilting, how did they do that with 700s? They’re not dry sump motors so do you have to drain the oil before tilting..?

Negative. They are set up internally for that. I don't know how, but Tony, Peter both assured me just tilt...tow. (Port side up)

Fuel fills are also ready for tilting.

McKay

Reaction score
Can you tilt after fueling? Gonna be a spectacular sight that entire setup: truck, trailer, & KICKASS boat.

Most boats that tilt have ball valves in the fill neck you need to close before tilting. Not sure if that is in the plans for Steve's build or if Skater has another method.

Skinny Tire AH

Reaction score
Most boats that tilt have ball valves in the fill neck you need to close before tilting. Not sure if that is in the plans for Steve's build or if Skater has another method.

Not sure the process. I believe Getreal here build them for Skater.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I had to go back and look at the last rendering. So Bitchin! I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas and it’s not even mine.:cool::D

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
@nganga
I have looked at a lot of build threads. For me, it's a way to familiarize myself with the construction and details of boating in general...still very new to the hows and whys. This build is very interesting, and different from most of the others. Between the lenght of time for the build itself, and your updates and commentary, there's quite a bit of insight into Skater, and other large cat builders. Most of us have seen the boats pretty and on the tilt, or on the water. Seeing things progress gives new perspective as to how they get there. Like the trimming of the hull, and the bustle assembly. I never would have thought there was that much hand work involved.

Thanks for the peek behind the scenes:)

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
I dont want to speak for Steve but I think he is taking some time to actually enjoy what he has worked for. Hopefully he will chime back in sometime soon.
If not at least I wont have to go to the docktagon with Tommy to keep him out of my seat in Steve's new boat once he actually gets it.😯😁

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I dont want to speak for Steve but I think he is taking some time to actually enjoy what he has worked for. Hopefully he will chime back in sometime soon.
If not at least I wont have to go to the docktagon with Tommy to keep him out of my seat in Steve's new boat once he actually gets it.😯😁
I’m you’re Huckleberry😂

Meaney77

Reaction score
Was wondering the same, he hasnt updated this in awhile. He was pretty active in the dungeon and hasnt posted for awhile however looks like he was online this morning.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
You all better not have scared him off! I want to see the boat pics!
I'm sure he's cool and all, but the boat is going to be badass :p

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Paging Nganga