WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What can a Firestick do?????

fishing fool

Reaction score
I just purched a firestick for $25 from another thread..... Now what can I do? Or should I say watch with it? Getting wifi at the Havasu house on Monday.

Reactions: TPC

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I just posted how I got mine configured in the other thread...

But you have to have the new 4k one to make full use of every feature.

sintax

Reaction score
the things great man. Pretty much any app is available on it, and ones that are not, you can install via the android store with some trickery.

i take it when I travel, its nice for streaming some music or maybe a show in the evening.

Netflix, Spotify, Plex, Amazon Video, HBO Go

Get415

Reaction score
Is it worth to try and jailbreak these things or just leave it be?
Im so over the stupid kodi boxes not working

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Is it worth to try and jailbreak these things or just leave it be?
Im so over the stupid kodi boxes not working
I've had Kodi working on mine for year's relatively problem free. I know there are others now but my shit keeps on working

78Southwind

Reaction score
We got our 4K Firestick just last year so I have been checking out the different apps to see what we like. We currently have Motortrend on demand/app and like it a lot. They had a Holiday deal for $11.99 for the year (I don't know if it's still good). https://www.motortrendondemand.com/holiday19

We tried YouTube TV with their 3 week free trail and that was pretty good. We kept it for about 6 months at $49.99 a month but we put it on pause while we try Sling TV. We got a discount on Sling TV of $15 off per month for three months. We tried Netflix with their month free trail and we like it a lot. We are paying $15.99 but I think it is less if you only need one or two screens at a time. I think we only need the two screen version so we will probably go down to the standard for $12.99.

We are currently trying Disney+ we got it free for a year through my Verizon account. My Girlfriend likes Disney movies and I like the Mandalorian (Star Wars) so it works for us. I recently downloaded the Locast App https://www.locast.org/ which is a non-profit company that rebroadcasts local stations for free/donation. For free it's ok in a bind but every so often it kicks you out of the program with a donation commercial. Once we figure out what we are going to keep I think we will start donating the $5 a month. I haven't used it much but I found this free streaming tv website through the Youtube channel Curiosity Cafe https://ustvgo.tv/ I hope that helps...:cool:

Last edited:

Meaney77

Reaction score
We have 3 of them and they work great. My only gripe is access to local news channels but you can use Amazon Silk to access KTLA (for example) and stream the news. I think you can do the same with some of the other local news channels.

As frustrated as I get with Direct TV, I am still not ready to cut the cord.

Its a cool device where you can access everything in one place- kids watch a ton of Netflix, Amazon Prime Movies, Disney Plus, etc.... You can also download an app for Apple TV and access all of your Apple TV content. There is a ton to watch, my wife can access alot of her shows too.

We listen to a lot of Amazon Music throughout the day.

You can download the NBC Sports app and for a price watch the Supercross and Qualifying.... Still cheaper than upgrading service with Direct TV and getting more channels we dont watch.

I jail broke mine and they seem to work descent, when I 1st did it I seemed to watch a lot more than I do now. I guess the newness wore off.

Pretty straight forward-https://www.firesticktricks.com/titanium-tv.html There is other software out there also to jail break but this one works descent.

Overall I am happy with them, The new one I ordered today will be going into the Motorhome where we can stream movies off my Iphone hot spot.

fishing fool

Reaction score
First off....... How old is your "girlfreind" thats watches Disney??????
The whole thing with cutting the cord with cable/ satellite is not paying more. I do not want to pay for more apps.. If I need to get one (cheap) to watch supercross I will. I just want to drink beer and live the simple life...

We got our 4K Firestick just last year so I have been checking out the different apps to see what we like. We currently have Motortrend on demand/app and like it a lot. They had a Holiday deal for $11.99 for the year (I don't know if it's still good). https://www.motortrendondemand.com/holiday19

We tried YouTube TV with their 3 week free trail and that was pretty good. We kept it for about 6 months at $49.99 a month but we put it on pause while we try Sling TV. We got a discount on Sling TV of $15 off per month for three months. We tried Netflix with their month free trail and we like it a lot. We are paying $15.99 but I think it is less if you only need one or two screens at a time. I think we only need the two screen version so we will probably go down to the standard for $12.99.

We are currently trying Disney+ we got it free for a year through my Version account. My Girlfriend likes Disney movies and I like the Mandalorian (Star Wars) so it works for us. I recently downloaded the Locast App https://www.locast.org/ which is a non-profit company that rebroadcasts local stations for free/donation. For free it's ok in a bind but every so often it kicks you out of the program with a donation commercial. Once we figure out what we are going to keep I think we will start donating the $5 a month. I haven't used it much but I found this free streaming tv website through the Youtube channel Curiosity Cafe https://ustvgo.tv/ I hope that helps...:cool:

Meaney77

Reaction score
The whole thing with cutting the cord with cable/ satellite is not paying more. I do not want to pay for more apps.. If I need to get one (cheap) to watch supercross I will. I just want to drink beer and live the simple life...
FYI I think the NBC Sports app was $75 for the year to watch SX Live. still cheaper than changing packages with Direct TV

GOTTBoat

Reaction score
With the NBC app you can watch all the timed practice for qualifying and the qualifier races live before the televised races for both SX & MX, pretty cool.

fishing fool

Reaction score
Waht about Hockey? Does the NBC app cover Hockey? GKG

With the NBC app you can watch all the timed practice for qualifying and the qualifier races live before the televised races for both SX & MX, pretty cool.

DanG

Reaction score
I cut the cord years ago and went with a Firestick/Fire TV for each TV and it works well. Big savings over having cable. With two homes, you can use the apps and watch programming anywhere for one price. We first went with Sling and then switched to Direct TV Now which changed to AT&T TV Now. The cost has gone up over the years from $35 a month to now $65 a month but again much cheaper than cable in two homes. This gives you almost all of the same channels as regular Direct TV including local channels.

We also use Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, You Tube, HBO Go, and Pandora.

There are also other apps for free TV such as Pluto TV and Mobdro. I use Mobdro to watch UFC fights and other paid TV channels on occasion.

Jailbrake is good for movies and adult entertainment, but I recommend downloading a good build and must have some patience with sourcing the movies you are wanting to watch. It helps to be semi tech to be able to keep your builds up to date and trouble shoot issues. If your not techy and don't have patience, I wouldn't bother trying to jail brake as you will get frustrated with it.

78Southwind

Reaction score

She says she is 25 but she is really 50. Let's just say she likes family-friendly content (there's a lot more than the kid Disney movies).

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Waht about Hockey? Does the NBC app cover Hockey? GKG

YouTube TV does.

I just turned the Kings game off. :mad:

And fuck you man. I Love the Disney TV app! :D

Watching all the Marvel Movies in the correct order right now. There are a ton of good movies on there.

:p

Meaney77

Reaction score
I cut the cord years ago and went with a Firestick/Fire TV for each TV and it works well. Big savings over having cable. With two homes, you can use the apps and watch programming anywhere for one price. We first went with Sling and then switched to Direct TV Now which changed to AT&T TV Now. The cost has gone up over the years from $35 a month to now $65 a month but again much cheaper than cable in two homes. This gives you almost all of the same channels as regular Direct TV including local channels.

We also use Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, You Tube, HBO Go, and Pandora.

There are also other apps for free TV such as Pluto TV and Mobdro. I use Mobdro to watch UFC fights and other paid TV channels on occasion.

Jailbrake is good for movies and adult entertainment, but I recommend downloading a good build and must have some patience with sourcing the movies you are wanting to watch. It helps to be semi tech to be able to keep your builds up to date and trouble shoot issues. If your not techy and don't have patience, I wouldn't bother trying to jail brake as you will get frustrated with it.

With Direct TV Now/ATT I think you get unlimited streaming off your cell phone hot spot as well at no additional cost right?

DanG

Reaction score
With Direct TV Now/ATT I think you get unlimited streaming off your cell phone hot spot as well at no additional cost right?

Yes, that is correct. I use my phone, iPad, or laptop when traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WAAZ

Reaction score
What you won’t do is watch commercials every 5 f##kin’ minutes!
Find content you like on YouTube and subscribe to the channels. Pretty soon, you’ll have a bunch of channels you want to watch and not 150 channels of shit you never will.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
What option would allow me to stay current in my weekly shows that I like?
Deadliest Catch, Bering sea gold, Young Sheldon, last man standing, etc. etc.
I am done with DTV after 20 years. They simply will not work with me anymore. Refuse to cut my NFL price, and my bill is always over $225 even after cutting all movie channels.

Meaney77

Reaction score
I am done with DTV after 20 years. They simply will not work with me anymore. Refuse to cut my NFL price, and my bill is always over $225 even after cutting all movie channels.

If DTV isnt willing to work with you, maybe you should cancel all together and look into the Direct TV Now app with ATT.

I would jail break it or you can search the fire-stick for the app that these shows are on. Example- Deadliest Catch is on Discovery- looks like they have a Discovery Go App you can download.

Side note- I just realized last night that my promotion rate with DTV expired in December so rate doubled. I am getting ready to call now and light someone up. If they cant offer up the same promo that I had before I may cancel and use the Direct TV Now app.

bryzmon

Not a Member
Reaction score
If you are not jail braking the firestick, GET A ROKU!

DanG

Reaction score
Go with AT&T TV Now app with DVR for $65 a month. All of those shows I are on standard programming (FOX, CBS, Discovery). You can watch live or set to record and watch at your convenience and skip commercials. You can also add the NFL Sunday Ticket.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Here is where it gets tricky...

YouTube TV has Fox/Last Man Standing. I watch that show at lunch. Great show!

As far as your other shows, I don't know about them, but lemme tell you how it gets tricky...

YouTube TV says they have the Discovery Channel. And they do. But, they only have shows from about 3 years ago!! They have no current episodes running.

YTTV also says they have the Motor Trend Channel. And again, they do, but with the same old ass shows. They have no current episodes running.

So check Carefully to see who has the current episodes of that channels you want. I had to subscribe to the Motor Trend channel (four bucks a month) to get the LATEST episodes of Road Kill.

Motor Trend, Netflix and YouTube TV are the must haves in my house.

DLC

Reaction score
Hey FF if your talking havasu don’t forget the over air antenna, they air super cross on Sunday 250 then 450 later
Local news and some bs tv shows

we have basic Direct tv in SD
And use amazon prime tv & antenna in Havasu.

I’m not paying for super cross when I can get it for free at home....

how much tv do you actually watch, I’m way to busy surfing RDP to watch tv....

lol

Reactions: DWC

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Idk.. Theres something about scrolling through my dish network guide over and over for hours not being able to find a single effing show that interests me.. Smacks head..:mad::D

DanG

Reaction score
So if you jail break one of these do you/should you do the VPN?

I quoted @DanG also... Maybe he'll chime in.

Thanks Guys!

Jail brake can mean different things. Old school jail brake meant to add a Kodi custom build that allowed you to watch movies from different sources. The video you posted he calls it jail break but is just showing you to download additional apps from other sources.

Using a VPN is always a good thing in protecting your information. Personally I have not done that and rarely use my “jailbroke version of Kodi”.

If your just going to use the AT&T now or sling app for TV and/or Netflix, Hulu, etc. I’m my opinion there is no need for using VPN as these are trusted apps.

It’s only when using untrusted sources that I believe you would be at risk and be better using a VPN for protection.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Idk.. Theres something about scrolling through my dish network guide over and over for hours not being able to find a single effing show that interests me.. Smacks head..:mad::D
I have the same issues with my Firestick, Net Flix, and Amazon Prime- I think I spend to much time on this damn website.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Go to Troypoint.com and he’ll tell you what you need and how to add streaming apps on your Fire Stick.

SHOCKtheMONKEY

Reaction score
Go to Troypoint.com and he’ll tell you what you need and how to add streaming apps on your Fire Stick.

I watched his video too. He pushed for buying the VPN from the same company as the other guy. That's why I was wondering if you really need the VPN or are these guys just supplying the downloads as a way to sell you the VPN to make $$...

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I watched his video too. He pushed for buying the VPN from the same company as the other guy. That's why I was wondering if you really need the VPN or are these guys just supplying the downloads as a way to sell you the VPN to make $$...
We use a VPN at our work to get into the mainframe remotely to lessen hacking, so it's probably a good idea so certain entities can't monitor what you watch or where you watch it from, but I'm sure that these guys are getting kickbacks or other incentives to promote the VPN service.

DanG

Reaction score

I wouldn’t waste the money on VPN service if you are planning on using trusted apps. They are really only needed when using untrusted internet connections. I only use VPN when traveling and accessing company network.

As long as your home network has a router with WPA password, your network is pretty secure and you will be fine. No need to waist the money on VPN service.

SHOCKtheMONKEY

Reaction score
I wouldn’t waste the money on VPN service if you are planning on using trusted apps. They are really only needed when using untrusted internet connections. I only use VPN when traveling and accessing company network.

As long as your home network has a router with WPA password, your network is pretty secure and you will be fine. No need to waist the money on VPN service

Awesome! Thanks!

SHOCKtheMONKEY

Reaction score
We use a VPN at our work to get into the mainframe remotely to lessen hacking, so it's probably a good idea so certain entities can't monitor what you watch or where you watch it from, but I'm sure that these guys are getting kickbacks or other incentives to promote the VPN service.
Thanks!
I probably shouldn't touch it, I can't even multi-quote...:D

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
The VPN is for yore protection from getting throttled by yore service provider for streaming certain content and privacy from possibly getting busted.

fishing fool

Reaction score
I have the firestick up and working. Been on it for about a hour this past weekend (been painting most of the time).

How fo I watch live TV? When I click on the fox or NBC app it wants my TV provider... Is that the internet provider???

Can I get the KTLA app like I have on my phone to watch the news??? When I search for it there is nothing found...

I have more questions after all of these questions are answered, I know you inmates (mainly me) are a bit slow, so I don't want to bust a brain

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I have the firestick up and working. Been on it for about a hour this past weekend (been painting most of the time).

How fo I watch live TV? When I click on the fox or NBC app it wants my TV provider... Is that the internet provider???

Can I get the KTLA app like I have on my phone to watch the news??? When I search for it there is nothing found...

I have more questions after all of these questions are answered, I know you inmates (mainly me) are a bit slow, so I don't want to bust a brain

If you don't wanna use an antenna, you have to pay to stream local channels.

So your either going to pay for cable or FIOS or YouTube TV (or an app like that) for local channels.

KTLA is channel 5 I think? So same answer as above. (I think)

fishing fool

Reaction score
I can watch KTLA on my laptop and phone, app for phone and "watch live" on computer. So that won't work on the firestick?

If I have time thiss weekend I will put up the antenna for local news.

If you don't wanna use an antenna, you have to pay to stream local channels.

So your either going to pay for cable or FIOS or YouTube TV (or an app like that) for local channels.

KTLA is channel 5 I think? So same answer as above. (I think)

78Southwind

Reaction score

Go back to post 7 and reread it. The last paragraph is the only way that I know of to receive free/donation local channels. I think Phoenix will probably be the most local channel that locast offers for Lake Havasu. If you want all the cable type channels then follow the video instructions that I posted in post 7. However, who knows how long that one will last. You might need a VPN I don't really watch it since I am currently using Sling.

If you're interested in locast check out the following video.

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I can watch KTLA on my laptop and phone, app for phone and "watch live" on computer. So that won't work on the firestick?

If I have time thiss weekend I will put up the antenna for local news.

I would guess you are using your browser? Does your smart TV have one?

The Firestick has Amazon Silk for a browser. I've never tried either one!

*Shrug*

Hint: On the FS remote, hold down the mic icon and just ask it for what you want. Alexa will find it for you.

PS...

I just noticed it has Firefox too!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
KTLA on the Firefox browser on the Firestick.

All fired up! :p
20200201_185242.jpg

@fishing fool

Meaney77

Reaction score

I’m pretty partial to KTLA for news, Liberty Chan and Kacey Montoya also. You can watch it using Amazon Silk it’s Amazons internet. You can put KTLA in the web browser and click watch live.