WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Crown Royal....Is this any good?

Motor Boater

Reaction score
752DDF70-8FD7-46B4-9F79-3A647F820C3B.jpeg
69F3D11A-4A73-400B-A92A-C1E7CB61A4EA.jpeg
My buddy was cleaning out his grandmas house and he gave me this bottle of crown. I took it out of the box and it’s got a freaking tax stamp on it that says 1974!!! The bottle has not been opened.

Tom Slick

Reaction score
My dad had a bottle of Crown from 1962 that he had saved for whichever of his two sons had a kid first. I beat my brother to fatherhood so to the victor went the spoils. That said, myself, my brother and my dad passed the bottle around between the three of us until it was empty. It tasted great, but lacked the buzz as the angels share had evaporated from the bottle over all those years.

Last edited:

farmo83

Reaction score
I ended up with a bottle that old from my father in law. I couldn't taste much of a difference

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Likely the same old or new

Last edited:

stoker

Reaction score
As long as there isn’t any floaters in it it’s still good. I came across a case of 1954 Glenfiddich, ended up selling it back to them for $1800.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
It won’t turn to vinegar like wine and it’s not going to age more either. The cork top (If it has one) might break apart if opening it. But other than that drink it.

jetur

Reaction score
Anyone try that limited edition salted caramel crown.

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
It's whiskey and meant to be enjoyed. On the other hand, my son received a bottle of Lagavaulin 16 yr old single malt for Christmas and we tried it. The most horrific, charcoal tasting swill I have ever had. Islay my ass...I could not get this taste out of my mouth fast enough. Bottoms up with the Crown.

KevinR

Reaction score
HaHaHaHa. I LOVE that Lagavulin 16!

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
You are way more man than I bubba. Absolutely no pleasure involved with that.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Anyone try that limited edition salted caramel crown.

I think I did.
It was either at the Pioneer in Goodsprings or the Joint in Randsberg if I remember and that was it,,, it was good.
Someone kept buying rounds. Not cheap.

jscarab

Master Blaster
Reaction score
There are some pretty good websites that can tell you if that bottle has any value. It’s been forever ago, but I was given an old bottle of crown royal that was bottled from Seagrams... the tax strip and seal are very important. Having the original bag and box also add.

jscarab

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Not worth opening just to taste the whiskey. Find out if it has any value....

sirbob

Reaction score
Not worth opening just to taste the whiskey. Find out if it has any value....

Something that old won't necessarily be bad but I would save it as a novelty if it were in my bar. BBH / HOSS has the right idea. Thats exactly how I would display it.

Back at that time every Tom, Dick and Harry didn't think they needed super premium liquor on their bar, but if they did, this was something that people used to show proudly before all the premium brands came along. I think it would be cool to have.

As a side note - a very good friends family owned that brand and became billionaires from it. They have all sorts of neat things associated with the brand - one of my favorite things is a throw blanket for the couch that is a quilt made of those purple bags!

Last edited:

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Something that old won't necessarily be bad but I would save it as a novelty if it were in my bar. BBH / HOSS has the right idea. Thats exactly how I would display it.

Back at that time every Tom, Dick and Harry didn't think they needed super premium liquor on their bar, but if they did, this was something that people used to show proudly before all the premium brands came along. I think it would be cool to have.

As a side note - a very good friends family owned that brand and became billionaires from it. They have all sorts of neat things associated with the brand - one of my favorite things is a throw blanket for the coach that is a quilt made of those purple bags!
A family friend made a quilt out of the bags. Cool as hell.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Unlike wine, once a Bourbon or whiskey is pulled from the barrels , it begins to degrade very slowly. It doesn’t “age “ any longer. It just gets old. They are best consumed right after bottling.

Perlmudder

Reaction score
The bottle sealed is worth approximately $200-300. They sell very easily and there used to be several groups on Facebook for that purpose before they got shut down. I have had similar age Crown, we opened it to celebrate a wedding, it tastes the same. If you know a whiskey person who is born in 1974 it would be an awesome gift. Otherwise, I would probably keep it on the shelf just to look at.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Crown is so smooth and tastes so good. If you like a strong tasting Bourbon whisky, it won’t be your favorite. Triple Crown on the rocks used to be my drink. When I see guys order “Crown and Coke”, I just roll my eyes. What a waste of a really good, smooth, Canadian Whisky.

I had to stop drinking it because I liked it too much.

Nordie

Reaction score
Before my fishing poles and tackle got destroyed in a sunken boat, I would use the Crown Royal bags as fishing reel covers.

707dog

Reaction score