WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

When you least expect it......

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
It always happens when you’re least prepared. This was a statement made during one of my CCW courses.

......fast forward to Saturday night. Sitting around the campfire, having drinks and watching super Cross on the RV TV. We finish up super cross and decide it’s time to head to bed. My son is In the living room and I’m laying in bed. All of a sudden we hear knocks on the back door and then a loud repeated knock on the front door. I get out of bed half dressed assuming it’s one of our friends in our group.

Open the door to a tweaker screaming at me looking for his wife. At This point I realize I’m unarmed (gun was in truck). Keep in mind we are on a 60 acre private property inside the 3.5 acre fenced in area. And all gates were locked.

i proceed to tell meth head he’s in the wrong camp. And start showing him away from our RVs to the main gate. As he’s making his way I motion to my son to go grab the others and make sure they are prepared. I’m still keeping my distance but keep the guy focused on me and trying to get him to the gate to get the F-out. I then realized the gate is locked. I then ask him how he got in and he said he will show me and walks towards my container. At this point it’s a dark part of the property so I’m not going that way.

all of a sudden homeboy turns and makes a run towards where the trailers are. At this point I’m now yelling at him. Letting him know he f-Ed up and I will do whatever it takes to defend myself and my family. (Keep in mind my kid and dogs are in the trailer he’s running towards).

At this point I’m full sprint (which is not very fast). I managed to grab the only “weapon” I could find. A rock a little bigger than a softball. And Huck it is hard as I can. Hit the guy right between the ear and neck. He goes tumbling into our chain link dance. Somehow his magic tweaker powers kick in and in his tumble he hits the chain link hard enough he gets underneath it. Now he’s on the other side running through the desert and the others in my group finally arrive with “back up”.
We start searching and scouring for him but can’t find him.

One of our friends saw a post on the ocotillo wells page that a neighboring property had a run in with the same guy but he refused to leave. Not sure if the outcome of that one as the thread was deleted.

Definitely changes the mindset of when you “think” you’re safe and become complacent as to when and when not to be armed.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
It always happens when you’re least prepared. This was a statement made during one of my CCW courses.

......fast forward to Saturday night. Sitting around the campfire, having drinks and watching super Cross on the RV TV. We finish up super cross and decide it’s time to head to bed. My son is In the living room and I’m laying in bed. All of a sudden we hear knocks on the back door and then a loud repeated knock on the front door. I get out of bed half dressed assuming it’s one of our friends in our group.

Open the door to a tweaker screaming at me looking for his wife. At This point I realize I’m unarmed (gun was in truck). Keep in mind we are on a 60 acre private property inside the 3.5 acre fenced in area. And all gates were locked.

i proceed to tell meth head he’s in the wrong camp. And start showing him away from our RVs to the main gate. As he’s making his way I motion to my son to go grab the others and make sure they are prepared. I’m still keeping my distance but keep the guy focused on me and trying to get him to the gate to get the F-out. I then realized the gate is locked. I then ask him how he got in and he said he will show me and walks towards my container. At this point it’s a dark part of the property so I’m not going that way.

all of a sudden homeboy turns and makes a run towards where the trailers are. At this point I’m now yelling at him. Letting him know he f-Ed up and I will do whatever it takes to defend myself and my family. (Keep in mind my kid and dogs are in the trailer he’s running towards).

At this point I’m full sprint (which is not very fast). I managed to grab the only “weapon” I could find. A rock a little bigger than a softball. And Huck it is hard as I can. Hit the guy right between the ear and neck. He goes tumbling into our chain link dance. Somehow his magic tweaker powers kick in and in his tumble he hits the chain link hard enough he gets underneath it. Now he’s on the other side running through the desert and the others in my group finally arrive with “back up”.

One of our friends saw a post on the ocotillo wells page that a neighboring property had a run in with the same guy but he refused to leave. Not sure if the outcome of that one as the thread was deleted.

Definitely changes the mindset of when you “think” you’re safe and become complacent as to when and when not to be armed.
Damn glad you and the family are ok. Best favor he did for you was leaving obviously so you didn't have to pop him and deal with all the BS. It's fucking sad we all pretty much accept this shit as the norm now when reading or hearing this type of stuff.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Damn glad you and the family are ok. Best favor he did for you was leaving obviously so you didn't have to pop him and deal with all the BS. It's fucking sad we all pretty much accept this shit as the norm now when reading or hearing this type of stuff.

I had already accepted the potential outcome that could have happened. Which is why I was scrambling for something....a rock being the best equalizer...lol.

ElAzul

Reaction score
I had already accepted the potential outcome that could have happened. Which is why I was scrambling for something....a rock being the best equalizer...lol.
Best advice to anyone ever faced with physically defending yourself, family, other's with fatal/potentially fatal force and the cops arrive.... don't say a word besides call my attorney. Remember to shut the fuck up!!!!!:D. I can give a bunch of reasons why but it's pretty obvious. Once again good job and nice work

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Best advice to anyone ever faced with physically defending yourself, family, other's with fatal/potentially fatal force and the cops arrive.... don't say a word besides call my attorney. Remember to shut the fuck up!!!!!:D. I can give a bunch of reasons why but it's pretty obvious. Once again good job and nice work

I have been well advised what to do. He even gave me a card with step by step instructions in case I forget.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Really glad to hear it worked out for you and your family!

If this happens again (or anything similar) I recommend that if you post it anywhere, make it less informative especially in regard to any injuries/force used.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Shoot, shovel, shut up, and go back to sleep.

This.

Otherwise the family comes out of the woodworks.

Oh mah baby was just politely knocking. Looking to borrow a cup of sugar for the cookies he be baking for his precious momma!

Mah Baby never cause no trouble or be hurtin noone never. No sir!

Our justice system is beyond farked up.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
This.

Otherwise the family comes out of the woodworks.

Oh mah baby was just politely knocking. Looking to borrow a cup of sugar for the cookies he be baking for his precious momma!

Mah Baby never cause no trouble or be hurtin noone never. No sir!

Our justice system is beyond farked up.

I experienced that with the kid who hit us head on. High as fuck and on his phone. Somehow I was the bad guy. Lol.

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
But isn't that the real issue anymore...you have to be strapped 24/7 no matter where you are. You are always on point wherever you go these days. Friggin' bullshit. Glad you and the family were ok in your situation Riverbound.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I have been well advised what to do. He even gave me a card with step by step instructions in case I forget.

I get the above, but lets be real. An affirmative defense is very easy to state without giving details.

"Sir, I acted in self defense of myself and my family. I understand you have a job to do, and I intend to fully cooperate, but I would like to have my attorney present before I offer any more details."

Expect them to confiscate your weapon, and more than likely detain you until that conversation occurs. Detentions does not equal sitting in a cell, but you will be kept close to officers until they can come to a reasonable conclusion one way or another.

If your attorney is worth their salt, they should be able to respond themselves to something as serious as this. That is what they are paid for.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I get the above, but lets be real. An affirmative defense is very easy to state without giving details.

"Sir, I acted in self defense of myself and my family. I understand you have a job to do, and I intend to fully cooperate, but I would like to have my attorney present before I offer any more details."

Expect them to confiscate your weapon, and more than likely detain you until that conversation occurs. Detentions does not equal sitting in a cell, but you will be kept close to officers until they can come to a reasonable conclusion one way or another.

If your attorney is worth their salt, they should be able to respond themselves to something as serious as this. That is what they are paid for.

That is essentially the process.
Step 1: Call 911 and report the incident. Make sure to ask for police and an ambulance.

Step 2: contact lawyer.

step 3: let police know you intend to fully cooperate but will not be answering any questions what so ever until your lawyer is present.

step 4: STFU until lawyer arrives.

ElAzul

Reaction score

True or you can simply shut the F up. Adrenaline, shock, a racing mind, fear, emotions.... shut it. One wrong statement or wording and you could be screwed.

Reactions: t&y

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
That is essentially the process.
Step 1: Call 911 and report the incident. Make sure to ask for police and an ambulance.

Step 2: contact lawyer.

step 3: let police know you intend to fully cooperate but will not be answering any questions what so ever until your lawyer is present.

step 4: STFU until lawyer arrives.

Yup. That call to 911 is very important. Just remember that is going into evidence and will be a direct reflection of your state of mind right after the shooting. They would more than likely want to keep you on the line until the police show up too, just another thing to consider. I'd strongly suggest having someone other than yourself make that call if possible. While they are getting Police and Fire/Paramedics, you can be on the phone with your attorney. Unless of course you are used to talking calm and collected after these things... who knows.
True or you can simply shut the F up. Adrenaline, shock, a racing mind, fear, emotions.... shut it. One wrong statement or wording and you could be screwed.

Mehhh… Realistically unless it is truly a one on one confrontation with nothing around, once the cops realize you are the person that shot, you will be the last one they talk too. In todays world there will be video or other witnesses who will provide most of the story. Rarely is there nobody.

If you carry regularly, that speech should be rehearsed daily. I can honestly say that moment goes over my head multiple times a day at work. The reference I gave is not something I just came up with all hap hazardly… lol.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

One thing I forgot to add to this is after we inspected everything and ensured he wasn’t coming back. We went over to where he came in. The whole area where we have our trailers is surrounded by chain link fencing. We can see where he climbed the fence (he damaged the top) and then crawled up a small hill.
It’s not like he just strolled On in through an open gate.

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
One thing I forgot to add to this is after we inspected everything and ensured he wasn’t coming back. We went over to where he came in. The whole area where we have our trailers is surrounded by chain link fencing. We can see where he climbed the fence (he damaged the top) and then crawled up a small hill.
It’s not like he just strolled On in through an open gate.

Let's not give the police anything actionable, my advice is to quit assuming the gender of the alleged trespasser, this did occur in CA after all.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
Have the gun at hand and the rock.
Throw the rock and then shoot him.
Non lethal didn’t work.
We don’t realize how often this is going to happen in the future.
Most of us, including myself, grew up in Mayberry, Mayberry doesn’t exist any longer.

4Waters

Reaction score
Have the gun at hand and the rock.
Throw the rock and then shoot him.
Non lethal didn’t work.
We don’t realize how often this is going to happen in the future.
Most of us, including myself, grew up in Mayberry, Mayberry doesn’t exist any longer.
Mayberry, LMAO true but funny

Boat 405

Reaction score
God damn. Reminds me of a situation when I was about 17. My buddy and I grabbed my fathers van and jet boat and headed to Havasu for some big weekend. We were staying at Crazy horse. One of the nights we were sleeping in the van. Needless to say it was hot as f... and we had the windows down. About mid way through the night I feel the van shaking slightly like someone repeatedly rolling over in their sleep, subtle but yet annoying. I ask my buddy if he is ok 2 or 3 times and I get no answer. I turn on a small light and he is sound asleep. Now I'm like wtf... I am dreaming, then it happens again.. Now I know I'm awake and I wake up my buddy, he and I are both like wtf now. It's 2 or 3 in the morning and the place is pretty dead quiet, so we get up and go outside and see what is going on. Turns out some jarhead had gotten completely obliterated that night before and is doing a bear hug on the transmission of the van, needless to say he is completely covered in grease, like bad, like shit out of a movie with bad acting. We both yell at him to get out from under the truck, well that didn't go so well because now he is chasing us around the van. We are like 17 years old and now a little scared because some crazy fuck is chasing us covered in grease and road grime yelling and grunting like an animal. It was surreal because his entire face was covered in black grease and he had these giant white eyeballs looking at us, he must have been on some really good drugs for sure. We make it back inside the van roll up the windows and lock the doors and call the cops(granted this is like 1994 and I was lucky enough to have a cell phone my dad gave me to use over the weekend). They show up with security about 20 minutes later, and the guy has resuming giving the transmission a bear hug. The cops grab him and cuff him and we come out and talk to cops and tell him we want him arrested. At the time we didn't think it was funny because the cops couldn't figure out who's squad car they were going to put him in because he was so fucking dirty.... LOL. We got wind that the MP showed up later and drug his ass away. I bet that was a night he has never forgotten. OR maybe he will never remember.. After that I never went to the river again without packing heat.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

Jesus man..... I don't know if I want to hang out with you anymore. You just attract shit! Lol!

Glad everything worked out for you guys though. It's amazing when you aren't thinking and just going on instincts how good of a throw you can make. I did something similar once (wasn't as scary of a situation but it stopped the danger quick), the rock throw was dead on the money from a VERY long way off.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

77charger

Reaction score
When i would be camping in the desert i always had a firearm very close.Night time wheter its glamis,forest or calico area theres a firearm near my bed.Never needed it but like said better to have and not use it.

707dog

Reaction score
yikes man that could of been a lot worst tweekazoid could of had a buddy stashed away to jump on you once you got further away from your trailer. escalating this to a whole nother kind of story... the piece maker goes just about every with us it's taking the wife some getting use to but she gets its now plus she is a better shot than me.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
If you would have had it, would you have shot the guy? If so I’m not sure the self defense in California would fly? Especially if you shot him in the back while he was running towards your trailer?

nice throw With the Rock by the way!!

With this ankle being all f’d up, if shit like this happens I’m pretty screwed unless I shoot someone.. in which case I’m screwed again.

can’t hardly fight with one foot. Certainly couldn’t run to save my family. Etc

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Good point and especially being he appeared to be high on meth. They can be very unpredictable.

In this type of scenario I like to keep as much distance as possible. Especially since I had no clue if he had anything on him.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Have I ever mentioned the effectiveness of a #10 chemical fire extinguisher? :) :D
Beats the hell out of a rock and should be standard equipment in an R/V.
Less paper work for leo and if they confiscate it for evidence, wallyworld sells them 7/24.
Super glad things worked out Riverbound.
Nothing against proper defense, just pointing out an alternative less lethal deterrent before actual force is needed.
I've never read about a jury convicting someone who was attacked and used one to defend themselves.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Have I ever mentioned the effectiveness of a #10 chemical fire extinguisher? :) :D
Beats the hell out of a rock and should be standard equipment in an R/V.
Less paper work for leo and if they confiscate it for evidence, wallyworld sells them 7/24.
Super glad things worked out Riverbound.
Nothing against proper defense, just pointing out an alternative less lethal deterrent before actual force is needed.
I've never read about a jury convicting someone who was attacked and used one to defend themselves.
How do you use it?? Do you just spray it or do you belt them over the head with it? If you are just spraying you may aggravate the situation and if the perp is carrying you could end up with a random peppering of bullets through the trailer. For me personally I would rather be carrying locked and loaded and ready to draw should the situation dictate it. Seriously, I guy on meth would shake off the powder in the face and begin firing in your direction.

Carlson-jet

Reaction score
How do you use it?? Do you just spray it or do you belt them over the head with it? If you are just spraying you may aggravate the situation and if the perp is carrying you could end up with a random peppering of bullets through the trailer. For me personally I would rather be carrying locked and loaded and ready to draw should the situation dictate it. Seriously, I guy on meth would shake off the powder in the face and begin firing in your direction.
Having used them many times, it is very difficult to breath just from the excess dust. It's like peppers spray 10 fold. Debilitating. Would I rather unload a few rounds? Absolutely. We could argue about getting the drop and first proper placement. Perfect scenarios rarely present themselves.
I'm just pointing out an option. Nothing more or less.
To each their own, but if the best defense is locked in the cab of a vehicle a minute away.. Seconds count.
And yes, I would use the empty cylinder if that was needed.

Carlson-jet

Reaction score
In the slightest breeze and an extinguisher or pepper/bear spray is your enemy.

I’d rather have the rock at that point lol
Some times it's not about just you but the fam.
I would hate to be where RB was. It sucks. If all I had was a rock. Indeed it would be the rock.
BTW, "Nice shot man" with the rock RB. ;)

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
If you would have had it, would you have shot the guy? If so I’m not sure the self defense in California would fly? Especially if you shot him in the back while he was running towards your trailer?

nice throw With the Rock by the way!!

With this ankle being all f’d up, if shit like this happens I’m pretty screwed unless I shoot someone.. in which case I’m screwed again.

can’t hardly fight with one foot. Certainly couldn’t run to save my family. Etc
At that point his family would be in immediate danger and the action could be easily justified then. Back or not. The bigger concern would be aim with the trailer(s) and loved ones behind the target.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Fawk that shit. Fawking tweakers

Damn tweakers are may biggest fear when we go camping in the middle of the forest. They are in most places and you never know whose neighborhood you are in since we are the visitors and not familiar with the good and bad neighborhoods.

I won’t open my locked door at night without first looking out the side window to see who is knocking.(I have the high ground and cover)

Too bad I am afraid of guns otherwise I would have one in the cabinet above my bed and in the drawer behind it ;):cool: Oh and a twelve gauge with tweakers repellent loads.

Last edited:

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
I've thought of this type of scenario and decided, not only will I be armed, I'd have a dog trained for these situations. Belgian Malinois to me would be the ideal four legged sentry. German Shepherds also fit the bill. Great loyalty, smart as a whip, and can sense a bad guy when one comes near....A pair would be even better.;)

Their efficiency of the Belgians is well displayed in the old TV series Person of Interest and Halle Berry's pets in John Wick 3.

Doberman's would also be considered.:D

My arm ain't what it used to be and I'm well past the foot race stage of life.....Get a working dog, well trained for the situation and just relax is what it's all about.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
At that point his family would be in immediate danger and the action could be easily justified then. Back or not. The bigger concern would be aim with the trailer(s) and loved ones behind the target.

Honestly I don’t think LEO would see it that way.. or a DA.

If I went outside with some tweaker and things got weird and he started running towards my home or rv etc...

Their first question is going to be why did you open the door? Why did you not call the cops?

All the logical responses in the world aren’t going to get around the basics..

Old days I’d open the door and not think anything of it.. being crippled in Billdo’s situation I’d call one of my buddies in a neighboring trailer and ask them to look and see wtf is going on.

Being hobbled/crippled ya kinda change your whole thought process on shit like this..