WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rigid core vinyl flooring

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Want something bulletproof with the kiddos. I tossed laminate into a condo we had and while it was durable the second someone spilled it sucked it up and swelled like there was no tomorrow.

anyone had anything bad with this vinyl stuff? It’s waterproof that’s a big positive with my kids and spills. already has an underlayment on it. As you can see in the pic I bought a box to test with the kids toys and rubbed, gouged, scraped, etc and they’re almost indestructible. Just going in the bedrooms instead of carpet. Thought about continuing the travertine but hit some snags and it’s ultra slippery when wet.

F28D96DC-90F9-4889-B4AA-9EEF3748F313.jpeg

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Want something bulletproof with the kiddos. I tossed laminate into a condo we had and while it was durable the second someone spilled it sucked it up and swelled like there was no tomorrow.

anyone had anything bad with this vinyl stuff? It’s waterproof that’s a big positive with my kids and spills. already has an underlayment on it. As you can see in the pic I bought a box to test with the kids toys and rubbed, gouged, scraped, etc and they’re almost indestructible. Just going in the bedrooms instead of carpet. Thought about continuing the travertine but hit some snags and it’s ultra slippery when wet.

View attachment 836866
Literally getting ready to do the same stuff and was wondering about it too. Sales guy also said it doesn't really give a F if your floor isn't level to start but I have a hard time believing that. The last laminate I did turned into a much bigger pain in the ass after figuring out my subfloor was wonky as hell.

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Literally getting ready to do the same stuff and was wondering about it too. Sales guy also said it doesn't really give a F if your floor isn't level to start but I have a hard time believing that. The last laminate I did turned into a much bigger pain in the ass after figuring out my subfloor was wonky as hell.

been doing some YouTube research and most of the videos start with making sure floor doesn’t have old carpet pad staples and old nail heads poking up. I’m on a slab so don’t have to worry about that. Box says tolerance of 1/4” over 10 feet

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
We had vinyl installed in the Kitchen and bath rooms only The rest of the house is carpet, Entry front door had 12" tile 6'x4'.
We had no problems, with the kiddo's, maybe its new vinyl that is the problem

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Been using it in all the new houses we build for the last few years with great results. Very scratch resistant and super durable. We've had great feed back from all the home buyers. Had a fridge that the breaker got shut off, ice melted and ran all over the floor. The water sat on it all weekend, I found it monday morning. Moped it up and the flooring had no issues. The MDF base board, well that didnt fair very well, it all had to be replaced but the flooring didnt damage at all. Not like the old purgo crap that you look at with a glass of water in your hand and it starts to warp and swell... this stuff can be wet mopped also unlike the old stuff. I wouldnt hesitate to install it. All in all it's a good product. Just like everthing the end result is all about good prep. I would knock down all the high spots in the subflooring with an electric plainer or something. Slab on grade I would probably lay down a cork underlayment or something(but not necessary). JMO

Last edited:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I use it on my flops and am slowly adding it to our house.

Our living room flooded twice, floor was unfazed.

I’m a believer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
I put vinyl plank in all of our rentals. As carpet needs to be replaced I do it with the vinyl plank. Its very tough and will last.

As far as putting it my own house, no thanks.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Been using it in all the new houses we build for the last few years with great results. Very scratch resistant and super durable. We've had great feed back from all the home buyers. Had a fridge that the breaker got shut off, ice melted and ran all over the floor. The water sat on it all weekend, I found it monday morning. Moped it up and the flooring had no issues. The MDF base board, well that didnt fair very well, it all had to be replaced but the flooring didnt damage at all. Not like the old purgo crap that you look at with a glass of water in your hand and it starts to warp and swell... this stuff can be wet mopped also unlike the old stuff. I wouldnt hesitate to install it. All in all it's a good product. Just like everthing the end result is all about good prep. I would knock down all the high spots in the subflooring with an electric plainer or something. Slab on grade I would probably lay down a cork underlayment or something(but not necessary). JMO

Oh good, you do know how to put it in! I just ordered enough to do the entire downstairs of the house! Chipped all the tile up in the kitchen and dining room, pulled all the carpet, etc....... Literally the ENTIRE downstairs (including gun room)!!! Make sure you have good knee pads, Ill buy beer................... See you next Saturday at 8am!!!

NicPaus

Reaction score
Just finished the river pad last night. The thicker material with the backer is the one to use. See how it holds up to the 120 weather. Back in SoCal use it all the time.

rightytighty

Reaction score
Anything that floats is subject to getting water stuck underneath it during a loss.

Now we are throwing away perfectly good flooring to avoid mold.

it is a durable product but water losses suck. Period.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
We just did vinyl plank flooring in the entire house except the bedrooms have carpet. So far the flooring has been bulletproof.

DLC

Reaction score
We are going to do it in our house, they have a pad that goes underneath to help with the hard floor feel.

If you ever have a flood you can just easily pull this up and dry out and reinstall or even sell on let it go.

just make sure you get the water proof and not water resistant

500bbc

Reaction score
Just finished the river pad last night. The thicker material with the backer is the one to use. See how it holds up to the 120 weather. Back in SoCal use it all the time.
Keep us posted on the performance, then go down to my place and install it there too.:D

Rbcconst

Reaction score
We have installed quite a bit of it. To get that hard floor feel the prep is very important. Needs to be flat, not level so it is easier. If you have high spots they have to be ground down and low spots need to be filled. Many people are using it and all of the flooring places swear by it.

McKay

Reaction score
About 3-4 months ago we put down 1500-1600 feet in our house garage. Really cleaned it up nice and love it so far. Bought it on sale at costco. For a few months before we put it down I had about 50 feet down in my back garage. Tried to abuse it every chance i was on the forklift. Turned tires on it etc. Never could mark it. So decided to proceed. So far so good.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Just don't use the home depot "life proof" brand. Less than 3 years and it is all separating, the "click lock" edges have failed allowing the material to spread apart.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
We are going to do it in our house, they have a pad that goes underneath to help with the hard floor feel.

If you ever have a flood you can just easily pull this up and dry out and reinstall or even sell on let it go.

just make sure you get the water proof and not water resistant

I didn’t even pull it up when my living room flooded...what I installed is 100% waterproof [emoji106]

I just put some fans in it for a few days.

Reactions: DLC

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Just finished 5mm vinyl core flooring from lumber liquidators. Seems durable. Floor needs to be flat because you will see & feel the unevenness.

From what i read, if you have direct sunlight comming in from a window with no blinds it can expand the floor on hot summer days and cause issues. My house doesn't have this issue. Box says keep house 60-85 degrees and avoid direct sunlight.

I like how it turned out. I have 2 large dogs and a kid. It just made sense.
20200103_160404.jpg

Echo Lodge

Reaction score

Keep me posted. Want to start my Echo remodel soon.

K-DOG

Reaction score
Has anyone used this stuff in a park model or trailer that stays at the river? I want to do it in mine but wondering about how it does when the temps get up around 100+.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Has anyone used this stuff in a park model or trailer that stays at the river? I want to do it in mine but wondering about how it does when the temps get up around 100+.
Keep me posted. Want to start my Echo remodel soon.

Good question!

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Just don't use the home depot "life proof" brand. Less than 3 years and it is all separating, the "click lock" edges have failed allowing the material to spread apart.

Good info! That's what I was considering buying, as they had the color I liked!

To those of you that have it...does it have that cheap sounding feel when you walk on it? Like fake wood?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Good info! That's what I was considering buying, as they had the color I liked!

To those of you that have it...does it have that cheap sounding feel when you walk on it? Like fake wood?
To be fair, it does have a warranty and we have not called to have it checked out. It's in our office at work. I'll report back once we have it looked at to see if it was a material failure of if there was anything install related that could have caused the failure

500bbc

Reaction score
I'm more concerned about when the AC isn't on, it's 125 outside and 140 plus inside.
MOHO floor flat enough for it?

FreeBird236

Reaction score
We just did vinyl plank flooring in the entire house except the bedrooms have carpet. So far the flooring has been bulletproof.
Rich, what brand did you use? We've been looking at Paradigm and Engage Genesis 12 and 20 mil, but some of the reviews about the locking mechanism has me spooked.

Also what did you have underneath? I've been considering laying it over ceramic tile, both companies say it's okay and you don't need to fill the grout lines as long as it's not a commercial application. It's not just the cost of demo (aprox $2000) it's the thought of all that mess and dust removing the tile. Most of the floor contractors are recommending removal, but that may be for their bottom line. Anyone feel free to jump in.

NicPaus

Reaction score
It will contour over the grout joints over time. 1 issue is the floor is best to be perfectly level. The thinner material with no backing not a fan of the click systems. The thicker material is more $$ but it locks together not clicks together with a hammer.

RichL

Reaction score
It will contour over the grout joints over time. 1 issue is the floor is best to be perfectly level. The thinner material with no backing not a fan of the click systems. The thicker material is more $$ but it locks together not clicks together with a hammer.
I agree with this statement completely.

Not a fan of installing over anything less than a smooth base whether conc. or subfloor.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I was under the impression that the waterproof concrete or polymer core was better than the thick stuff that's only water resistant and dents. Are there brands you're referring to that are water proof and don't dent with weight or impact?

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I agree with this statement completely.

Not a fan of installing over anything less than a smooth base whether conc. or subfloor.
I'm beginning to consider just going back to new tile as long as it needs to come out anyway.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I was under the impression that the waterproof concrete or polymer core was better than the thick stuff that's only water resistant and dents. Are there brands you're referring to that are water proof and don't dent with weight or impact?
You want solid vinyl core. Not the ones like Costco has with vinyl top layer and particle base like laminate flooring. I have the cheap 1 with no backing in my house for 4 years or so now.

ka0tyk

Reaction score
2 hours in. Pulled old carpet and pad. Removed 2 rows of tack strips around the edges. Scraped the floor smooth. Vacuumed it all up. Layed a few rows and called it a night. 3 more rooms to go.

F5E77FE2-D053-4849-A02A-0B4CB6F03AF9.jpeg

JDKRXW

Reaction score
To get that hard floor feel the prep is very important. Needs to be flat, not level so it is easier. If you have high spots they have to be ground down and low spots need to be filled. .

THIS.
I debated dyi and I'm glad I paid a good installer.
He put WAY more time into the subfloor than I would have and the final result shows.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
THIS.
I debated dyi and I'm glad I paid a good installer.
He put WAY more time into the subfloor than I would have and the final result shows.

Laying the floor could be a dyi but the prep will make or break the quality of the install and final product.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Seems that particular flooring would have a spec of how level the floor needs to be?
On a side note, I only recall one flooring that were squares needing the black tar mastic. That was asbestos. Most were 8x8 but some actually did come 12x12. Keep any scraping to a minimum so not to disturb the dead unless you are going to go crazy with a hepa system.
I could be wrong but just a heads up seeing the little guy hanging out.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
We've had it (solid core) in all of our office's here at work for about 6 years now and still looks new. This stuff really take a beating.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Seems that particular flooring would have a spec of how level the floor needs to be?
On a side note, I only recall one flooring that were squares needing the black tar mastic. That was asbestos. Most were 8x8 but some actually did come 12x12. Keep any scraping to a minimum so not to disturb the dead unless you are going to go crazy with a hepa system.
I could be wrong but just a heads up seeing the little guy hanging out.

I think most of the manufactures say 1/4”. Level isn’t necessarily needed but flat is. Need to grind all high spots and float all low spots.

ka0tyk

Reaction score
I think most of the manufactures say 1/4”. Level isn’t necessarily needed but flat is. Need to grind all high spots and float all low spots.

ours said 1/4 over 10 ft.

ka0tyk

Reaction score
One room done. Well I still need to quarter round the edges as I can’t move the wainscoting down. Debating floor matched or just white.

C9A2CC3A-29E9-4595-9F89-9B1714BC1342.jpeg

Last edited:

PaPaG

Reaction score
One room done. Well I still need to quarter round the edges as I can’t move the wainscoting down. Debating floor matched or just white.

View attachment 840791
We just had our entire house except for roughly 500sq feet of carpet in 2 bedrooms and 2 closets, roughly 1100sq. ft of flooring at the river done with vinyl planks looks like the same type as Ka0's. According to the research we did and what several flooring installers told us from experience these newer floors are extremely durable. We could have done it ourselves but it would have taken me over a week, the installer took only 3 days and did an amazing job.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Long term, how does this stuff do with sunlight and discoloration? I had some cheap vinyl in a shitty little bathroom that got quite a bit of sun and in 10 years it went from grey to yellow.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Long term, how does this stuff do with sunlight and discoloration? I had some cheap vinyl in a shitty little bathroom that got quite a bit of sun and in 10 years it went from grey to yellow.
All the Vinyl Products say avoid direct sunlight due to expansion and discoloration

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
My uncle put vinyl plank in his trailer at Nacimiento. He's having issues with the joints sperating but that is most likely due to him and our friend incorrectly installing it. His is the adhesive overlap type (no solid core) and it looks and feels great. The adhesive is on 2 sides and they started in the wrong corner so instead of laying the non-adhesive side down on top, they had to attempt to slide the adhesive underneath which didn't always work the first attempt.
Would probably be worth it to add a UV inhibiting film on the windows and protect all your stuff.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk