WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking for first motorhome (possibly)

RiverDiva

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
I've been looking all day and I've found some pretty nice ones. But I REALLY want the bunks and I see thats where the problem is going to be. I told Dave we should take a trip to Quartzite to see if we can find something. Do you guys think it's worth the trip?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
With that enclosed and what your planning on taking with you,definitely get diesel.Gasser will be pedal matted non stop.theres a ton of stuff out there used,I would find one that has been kept indoors or at least under a metal shade structure. The tops and sides get hammered in sun especially if you buy something in havasu. There's a ton of older guys that are done rv ing and will sell very reasonable. My enclosed I added a water tank that can easily pump over to coach and fuel. Only problem is holding tanks are usually matched up with water tank size.

WTF is wrong with you man? Didn't you know a new half ton will pull it no problem?

You need to get with the times!

:D:D:D

ultra26shadow

Reaction score
I've been looking all day and I've found some pretty nice ones. But I REALLY want the bunks and I see thats where the problem is going to be. I told Dave we should take a trip to Quartzite to see if we can find something. Do you guys think it's worth the trip?
https://www.quartzsitervshow.com/

Yes I was on my way back from Phoenix during this show and it was packed a couple of years ago.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
WTF is wrong with you man? Didn't you know a new half ton will pull it no problem?

You need to get with the times!

:D:D:D

Honestly this trailer is pretty light.. My truck pulled it like it wasn't even there today from Parker to here. I wouldn't have any problems loading my Can Am and my kids Ranger in it and pulling it, even with the extra junk that comes along with it.

I don't know what it weighs but I'll look tomorrow.. But it felt like I was towing my Schiada.. Not my Hallett. LOL

RD

spectras only

Reaction score
If it has aluminum frame, it will be pretty light. Nice trailer.Just looked at your picture, it has a steel A frame, but aluminum siding, yes?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
And for Diva's 2 cents. I'm really looking for one with bunk beds. I have a couple friends with them and I think it will be nice to keep the kids out of the living area while sleeping in case we want to hang out. Not to mention my kids fight like crazy...I'm looking to keep them all separated.
On budget I'd like to stay closer to $80k if possible.
I need a decent size fridge. Preferably full size.
Yes... Bunks are a HUGE necessity. Having to make the kids beds every night and morning BLOWS! For the kids too. Had to do that my whole life until I was about 18 and that's when my parents bought a 5th wheel toy hauler so they had their bed and we had plenty of beds in the back that didn't have to be made all the time.

I know Dave said you don't like them, and I know they are hard to find with bunk beds, but if you can find a toterhome with bunk beds I think it will check every box possible for you guys.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

rrrr

Reaction score
This 2018 Haulmark is just what you need, RD. It has the perfect floorplan, with bunk space for the kids and really nice amenities. They're going to keep growing, you can keep this rig for years and still accommodate the kids and their friends.

It's being sold by Elliott's Custom Trailers, in Warsaw, IN. The business was started years ago by champion sprint car driver Tony Elliott and his wife, Cindy. I became acquainted with the Elliotts years ago, as I worked with an Illinois based car owner that Tony drove for. Tony was tragically killed in a plane crash in 2015, but Cindy has kept the business going.

I suppose you know I'm joking, because it's a bit over your budget. But I wanted to toss it out there in case someone else sees it and might be interested. I'd love to help out the Elliott family.

B9C03717-1772-4E7F-B73E-086BCE47E85E.jpg

https://www.elliottscustomtrailers....rhome-Status-Motorcoach-45BH-8190518?ref=list

Last edited:

C08H18

Reaction score
Drive over to Quartzsite. The RV show is this week. I looked at a dozen Super C’s on Saturday. Both new and several used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

River Runnin

Reaction score
It's worth the trip!... Yesterday the place was PACKED! eat's places were out of food, and asshole to belly button in the big tent!
It's an RV Buyers market there now! ;)

welldigger00

Reaction score
This 2018 Haulmark is just what you need, RD. It has the perfect floorplan, with bunk space for the kids and really nice amenities. They're going to keep growing, you can keep this rig for years and still accommodate the kids and their friends.

It's being sold by Elliott's Custom Trailers, in Warsaw, IN. The business was started years ago by champion sprint car driver Tony Elliott and his wife, Cindy. I became acquainted with the Elliotts years ago, as I worked with an Illinois based car owner that Tony drove for. Tony was tragically killed in a plane crash in 2015, but Cindy has kept the business going.

I suppose you know I'm joking, because it's a bit over your budget. But I wanted to toss it out there in case someone else sees it and might be interested. I'd love to help out the Elliott family.

https://www.elliottscustomtrailers....rhome-Status-Motorcoach-45BH-8190518?ref=list

These things are dope. My buddy bought a 2007 with a 600hp Detroit, and 10 speed. Payed close to 200k for it a few years ago. Not much space inside compared to a 200k bus, but it’s like driving heavy haul truck power and stability. If you want to tow, and have a motorhome, this is it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
They are all crap, just some are more expensive crap than others.

If I had RD's money, I'd look for a mid90's Bluebird Wanderlodge and a good mechanic. At least you know the coach won't fall apart around you.

RiverDiva

"Team RDP"
Reaction score

If they would take $80k for that it’s SOLD! I love everything about that thing. Champagne budget....

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I would really think twice about the bunks. Most are not very long and in 5 yrs the kids will be to big.

Making the couch bed does suck. But I would rather have the room the bunks take up and make the couch bed everyday.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Diesel and Bunks probably aren't gonna happen. If you want more beds for the kids (besides just the couch / dinette) and a diesel for pulling, I think you are gonna be looking at a Super C. The nice thing is it won't be as long as a diesel pusher, and you'll get the over-cab bed so you have a place for the small kids, and you can let the bigger ones have the couch and dinette. The kids love the over-cab area anyways, they'll all end up sitting up there watching TV which un-clutters the motor home living area quite a bit. You can keep their blankets, duffel bags of clothes, etc up there too. Its like the equivalent of having a massive closed bow - all the shit can go up there and get out of your way. You and the wife will still be separate in the rear bedroom, which is nice. This would let you stay under the length limit (or much closer to it......) when pulling a 30-36 CC boat. The other nice thing, is that @ 35 feet or under, a Super C is easier to squeeze into national parks and campgrounds, or beach camping, if you ever do any of those things (I rarely do....). Finally, you can probably get a nice Super C under 80k. Checks all the boxes! @RiverDave @RiverDiva

Devious_Chris

I wear sunglasses, lake Havasu city az.
Reaction score
Diesel and Bunks probably aren't gonna happen. If you want more beds for the kids (besides just the couch / dinette) and a diesel for pulling, I think you are gonna be looking at a Super C. The nice thing is it won't be as long as a diesel pusher, and you'll get the over-cab bed so you have a place for the small kids, and you can let the bigger ones have the couch and dinette. The kids love the over-cab area anyways, they'll all end up sitting up there watching TV which un-clutters the motor home living area quite a bit. You can keep their blankets, duffel bags of clothes, etc up there too. Its like the equivalent of having a massive closed bow - all the shit can go up there and get out of your way. You and the wife will still be separate in the rear bedroom, which is nice. This would let you stay under the length limit (or much closer to it......) when pulling a 30-36 CC boat. The other nice thing, is that @ 35 feet or under, a Super C is easier to squeeze into national parks and campgrounds, or beach camping, if you ever do any of those things (I rarely do....). Finally, you can probably get a nice Super C under 80k. Checks all the boxes! @RiverDave @RiverDiva

There are several options for bunks in a diesel....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rrrr

Reaction score
If they would take $80k for that it’s SOLD! I love everything about that thing. Champagne budget....

It's a beauty, isn't it? I really like toterhomes. I don't know much about motorhomes, but this rig has an big dang truck chassis and diesel engine, yeah!

:D

Tank

Reaction score

This thing is just....WOW! LOVE the set up inside. Full fridge and all. Sick.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Diva, they have bunks in Class A gas and Diesel and Super C and C.

happy hunting

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I didn’t say under $80k:p:D

but this is RD we are talking about. He snaps his fingers and makes shit happen :D;)

I've seen a super C, but not a diesel pusher with bunks for under 80. Hell, i want to buy one! lol

squeezer

Reaction score
B46FF9CD-F8D6-49F1-AAF9-CF01A900395A.jpeg
A8457E35-890C-4F7D-8C62-D766EB8BC36B.jpeg
944B7531-EE4A-40C8-BCEE-58D4EE300177.jpeg
D1403F24-0A50-47DE-B634-CD3F248FC5B2.jpeg
D0296E3E-41C7-42B7-BAF7-B4A4089CCEDA.jpeg
FBE756E4-24BD-4B74-8131-A00C05EFE817.jpeg
There are motorhomes and there are motorcoaches... A motorcoach is what you want. They are out there at the pricepoint you have mentioned but they will be a bit older and you will need to look past bad 80's cosmetics. (Even in the 2000's coaches). I am partial to Foretravel as we have had great service out of one for nine years. There is a great forum dedicated to them here. https://www.foreforums.com/

The sweet spot for price/performance is a late 90's or early 2000's high end diesel pusher. The most important features for me are as follows; (In roughly this order)

Braking: Disks on all axles plus an engine (Exhaust/Jake) or transmission (Retarder) system.

Going uphill a bit slower than optimal is frustrating. Going down hill faster than optimal can be lethal.

Chassis: Full Air ride including air leveling.

Engine: At least a C series Cummins or equivalent Cat/Detroit/Etc. We had 450HP in a 29,000 lb coach. I wouldn't want less HP/LB in the terrain we ran. There are only a handful of coaches who have numbers like this.

House systems: Tank sizes are drastically undersized on most motorhomes... Breaking camp to dump the shitter is no fun.

You will not find an older high end coach with bunks. You can however build one. I did some simple remodeling on ours and it worked out really well.

The other thing that nobody mentioned yet is travel seating. Most coaches dont have QUALITY seatbelts for more than two people. I replaced a recliner and desk with automotive seats bolted through frame cross members so the kids had safe travel seating. The newer Super C's on CC chassis would be the cats ass but outside of the budget mentioned.

Some pics of ours:

Last edited:

Dr Rob

Reaction score
If it has the Maxx Force or Navistar motor I’d stay away.
On the bright side, you will not have to worry about having a place to store it because it will always be at the international dealership getting fixed. Lol

01erionracing

Reaction score
@RiverDave I am happy in the last 15 years and still with our first gas class C motorhome no slide towing 6800 lbs enclosed trailer and here is my wish list for our next motorhome purchase (less than $100k and older than 15 years) Monaco Signature, Travel Supreme and Foretravel, also with the Foretravel 38' you can find the tag axle. For towing 10k lbs trailer I would start with at least 400HP diesel and I prefer Cumin 8.9 ISL.
Super C is nice my the wife doesn't like it, however the Embark is very nice.

spectras only

Reaction score
20180821_124852.jpg
20180822_094239.jpg

One thing people overlooking when shopping for diesel mohos is, maintenance on Pushers vs Class C's. I guarantee, maintenance of a pusher is more expensive for pushers vs the front engine Class C. ;) There is so many variables of difficulty with pushers within model line up.
The class C is like commercial trucks with cowls flip up to access. I'm sure the pusher crowd will chime in shortly, but am sure not all do their own maintenance.:p:D

Friend has a Seneca Super C pulling a big azz trailer with four Porsches in them no sweat.

Last edited:

attitude

Reaction score
assumed someone would bring this up. Big motorhome like everyones talking is min 36'(actually 38+ with bumpers or 40'+) plus a 30-36' boat so on a trailer is up to about 44'. so now your at 80'...I think we have a problem
There is a guy I’ve seen a couple of times at the Islander, he has a 42-45ft (tag axel) pusher and tows a 36 Daytona. That is a LONG set up lol

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
Funny this thread started. We’ve been casually looking for a used true class A with a diesel, side entry and about 30-32 ft.

would love a good used super C but they’re out of our pricing. Will be headed to the RV show Friday.

spectras only

Reaction score
Funny this thread started. We’ve been casually looking for a used true class A with a diesel, side entry and about 30-32 ft.

would love a good used super C but they’re out of our pricing. Will be headed to the RV show Friday.
The Allegro Breeze or Allegro Red should be closest to choose from in that size. Pallazo is 33'

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Dave what one are you getting?

We are going to sit down and go over the list tonight and see which one makes the most sense. For me the cheaper the better.. lol

Personally something like this makes a lot of sense to me..
https://www.rvt.com/Thor-Motor-Coac...do-TX-ID8593095-UX50219#.XifekdLRHuE.facebook

I don’t know shit about motor homes though so when we get our list narrowed down I’ll post it in the thread and ask for feedback from Steve and the other guys that have forgotten more than I’ll ever know.

RCDave

Reaction score
We are going to sit down and go over the list tonight and see which one makes the most sense. For me the cheaper the better.. lol

Personally something like this makes a lot of sense to me..
https://www.rvt.com/Thor-Motor-Coac...do-TX-ID8593095-UX50219#.XifekdLRHuE.facebook

I don’t know shit about motor homes though so when we get our list narrowed down I’ll post it in the thread and ask for feedback from Steve and the other guys that have forgotten more than I’ll ever know.

That chassis and drivetrain will have a difficult time with more than 4000lbs towing